cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Interesting Ponyboy makes accusations about Ute fans being racists last year (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13673)

mpfunk 11-08-2007 08:10 PM

Interesting Ponyboy makes accusations about Ute fans being racists last year

at the Ute game. He then goes and posts this. You think that he would post the same thing about a film if it was a bunch of white guys in organized crime?
http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=3159262

TripletDaddy 11-08-2007 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpfunk (Post 147638)
at the Ute game. He then goes and posts this. You think that he would post the same thing about a film if it was a bunch of white guys in organized crime?

Luckily, this stupidity is more realted to upbringing and not sanctioned by the Church.

Whenever this crap pops up, I try to make some smarmy comment about it, but I am surprised at how many others just let it slide. I know CB is home to a few happy, mixed marriages. I bet stuff like this thrills them.

"I am more afraid of black people than white people! Is that racist?"

No, ponyboy, no it isnt racist at all. It is a very rational thought you are having. Black people are totally more scary than white people!

JohnnyLingo 11-08-2007 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpfunk (Post 147638)

Seems like you're looking to be offended, funk. You seem to harbor grudges far longer than any normal human being, and your grudge against Ponyboy is tainting your view.

It's dumb that anyone who mentions race these days is automatically racist.

TripletDaddy 11-08-2007 10:55 PM

Whoa. Did he change the link? I thought he was talkng about this ponyboy post from today, which, in my opinion, is pretty dumb.

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=3159492

Seems like if you are making a bunch of these posts about blacks, you have a bigger issue that needs to be addressed.

Bringing up race doesnt make you a racist. But saying that playing black teams scares you (athletically) does seem like a stupid, racist thing to say, even if it may not be terribly offensive.

JohnnyLingo 11-08-2007 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 147750)

Bringing up race doesnt make you a racist. But saying that playing black teams scares you (athletically) does seem like a stupid, racist thing to say, even if it may not be terribly offensive.

Hmm... a question of perception, I guess. If someone said playing a white team (BYU) scared them (athletically) I wouldn't consider it stupid or racist. For whatever reason, there are definite differences among the races in these areas. The majority of players in the NBA are black. In the Olympics, most races are won by black athletes. It's not a racist slur in any way to notice that... why isn't it a compliment? Heck, I wish I was 6'6" and could jump 48" into the air.

mpfunk 11-09-2007 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo (Post 147744)
Seems like you're looking to be offended, funk. You seem to harbor grudges far longer than any normal human being, and your grudge against Ponyboy is tainting your view.

It's dumb that anyone who mentions race these days is automatically racist.

Not looking to be offended at all. I just highly doubt that Ponyboy would ever post about the Godfather offending him because it glories a criminal lifestyle.

YOhio 11-09-2007 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpfunk (Post 147804)
Not looking to be offended at all. I just highly doubt that Ponyboy would ever post about the Godfather offending him because it glories a criminal lifestyle.

I think you've raised an pretty interesting point. George Clooney has made an enterprise out of the Ocean's 11 series, but they glamorize crime as much as any film could. At no point in any of the three films are ethical issues raised about the criminals' actions. No moral dilemmas. No remourse or even acknowledgment that it's wrong to thieve from others. Although there are minorities in Oceans' gang, the three main characters are upper-class white. If a similar film were made with minority characters as the lead, I think we'd see a lot more concern over the message the film is sending.

TripletDaddy 11-09-2007 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo (Post 147762)
Hmm... a question of perception, I guess. If someone said playing a white team (BYU) scared them (athletically) I wouldn't consider it stupid or racist. For whatever reason, there are definite differences among the races in these areas. The majority of players in the NBA are black. In the Olympics, most races are won by black athletes. It's not a racist slur in any way to notice that... why isn't it a compliment? Heck, I wish I was 6'6" and could jump 48" into the air.

Racism is absolutely a question of perception. This is why race relations are so poor. Whites cannot understand why blacks perceive everything as racist and blacks cannot understand that whites dont perceive all blacks in the poor manner that they claim.

So when you make a statement like, "I am afraid to play black teams, they are better athletes," it is a racist statement. Like I said, it may not be terribly offensive, but by definition, it is racist.

Jimmy The Greek didn't mean to be offensive, either. In fact, he may be historically accurate. But it was still perceived to be offensive.

Greek food, however, is not offensive at all, but instead, highly delicious.

TripletDaddy 11-09-2007 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo (Post 147762)
Hmm... a question of perception, I guess. If someone said playing a white team (BYU) scared them (athletically) I wouldn't consider it stupid or racist.

Also, this hypo is ridiculous.

Nobody would ever be scared of playing BYU for athletic reasons...

*rimshot*

TripletDaddy 11-09-2007 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 147815)
I think you've raised an pretty interesting point. George Clooney has made an enterprise out of the Ocean's 11 series, but they glamorize crime as much as any film could. At no point in any of the three films are ethical issues raised about the criminals' actions. No moral dilemmas. No remourse or even acknowledgment that it's wrong to thieve from others. Although there are minorities in Oceans' gang, the three main characters are upper-class white. If a similar film were made with minority characters as the lead, I think we'd see a lot more concern over the message the film is sending.

Ask Fabio what he thinks of George Clooney's movies...I bet he will complain...