cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Politics (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   How long have the Dems known about Foley? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4463)

RockyBalboa 10-04-2006 08:38 PM

How long have the Dems known about Foley?

What a shocker this comes out around election time. ;)

Detroitdad 10-04-2006 09:04 PM

I just knew that this was the Democrat's fault.

Cali Coug 10-04-2006 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detroitdad (Post 39176)
I just knew that this was the Democrat's fault.

I did have to laugh at work today. I was listening to O'Reilly on the radio and all he was talking about was "did Democrats hire someone to dig up dirt on Foley." Sure, it might be interesting to find out, but at worst it would confirm that politics is a sleazy business. But isn't the more relevant question "was there a cover-up?"

RockyBalboa 10-04-2006 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoyacoug (Post 39178)
I did have to laugh at work today. I was listening to O'Reilly on the radio and all he was talking about was "did Democrats hire someone to dig up dirt on Foley." Sure, it might be interesting to find out, but at worst it would confirm that politics is a sleazy business. But isn't the more relevant question "was there a cover-up?"

So no one is willing to answer the question. Okay.

Detroitdad 10-04-2006 11:44 PM

Well how can we answer at this stage? This stuff leaks out slowly. I am sure that if the Dems held it out then they too, will be excoriated. Actually, I am sure that they will be excoriated anyway. Just as they will point the fingers at the investigator the next time one of theirs runs afoul of the law.

Cougar Hunter 10-04-2006 11:45 PM

Okay, I'll bite

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyBalboa (Post 39164)
What a shocker this comes out around election time. ;)

I think the Dems found out sometime after the Republican Leaders tried to cover. But I'm not positive.

RockyBalboa 10-05-2006 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detroitdad (Post 39216)
Well how can we answer at this stage? This stuff leaks out slowly. I am sure that if the Dems held it out then they too, will be excoriated. Actually, I am sure that they will be excoriated anyway. Just as they will point the fingers at the investigator the next time one of theirs runs afoul of the law.

How can one answer? Easy,,,,by answering the question instead of spinning a non-answer response.

Cougar Hunter 10-05-2006 12:22 AM

And if these allegations are true then the Republican leadership knew for at least 3 years.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/theblotter/..._former_c.html

Appearantly republican staff warned pages about Foley's victim grooming.

Archaea 10-05-2006 01:06 AM

But the Dems had one of their own do the same thing, and he was reelected thereafter.

Once again, a double standard. Anybody surprised?

Detroitdad 10-05-2006 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 39231)
But the Dems had one of their own do the same thing, and he was reelected thereafter.

Once again, a double standard. Anybody surprised?

Yes I am surprised. This whole line of thiking is ridiculous. Foley did something wrong. Maybe his party leaders did something wrong. He resigned. His party probably would have abandoned him, now that it was out in the open. Luckily for them he did.

Okay, the member of Congress ran for reelection after a similar incident. 23 years ago! In the recent past we have Mel Reynolds to show what has happened to more recent erring politicians.

Neither party has a corner on virtue or vice. I know that you know this. Additionally, each party only does what it must, to survive and thrive. This whole situation is about politics, as they are played in DC. But we don't have to pretend that we are inside the beltway partisans, that point fingers at the other guy rather than acknowledge that a wrong was done. If the Dems knew about and were hiding it they are shady. Likewise the Reps. who did know. We can call a spade a spade and say and put a pox on the houses of all involved. But why make it a morality play? Do we really think that the actions of a congressman or two (or ten) embroiled in a scandal is in any way statistically significant?

I hope not.