cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Life of Pi (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28777)

MikeWaters 01-10-2013 08:36 PM

Life of Pi

saw this because the James Bond movie was sold out. Didn't know anything about it. Really a visual spectacle, must be seen in 3D. Didn't completely work for me in terms of its "meaning" but worth a watch. Ang Lee did very well.

Got 11 Academy nominations, including best picture.

Sad to say that I haven't seen any of the other films nominated for best picture.

Btw, didn't read the book. Don't plan to either.

Archaea 01-10-2013 08:50 PM

I enjoyed the book and the movie. Both have weaknesses but are entertaining overall.

realtall 01-11-2013 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 317448)
saw this because the James Bond movie was sold out. Didn't know anything about it. Really a visual spectacle, must be seen in 3D. Didn't completely work for me in terms of its "meaning" but worth a watch. Ang Lee did very well.

Got 11 Academy nominations, including best picture.

Sad to say that I haven't seen any of the other films nominated for best picture.

Btw, didn't read the book. Don't plan to either.

I saw it in 3D but didn't think much of the experience. The glasses bugged me the whole time and I didn't think that the film lent itself that well to the format. And it's not like you can just take off the glasses and watch it in the regular format.

As far as the movie itself, I'm pretty sure there was a deeper allegory in there somewhere but I have no idea what it was. There were several aspects of the movie that were not explained very well but then again it was already plenty long

I didn't think it was realistic in that I didn't think that anybody could last that long(240 days he said or something like that) but I got home and looked it up and as it turns out there were 3 Mexican fisherman that drifted in a raft for NINE MONTHS until they were finally picked up about 100 miles off the coast of Australia by a Taiwanese trawler. So there's that. I'm just glad that it wasn't me.

MikeWaters 01-11-2013 02:34 AM

Hmm, surprised you didn't like the visuals. That was the only good part of the movie.

ute4ever 01-11-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by realtall (Post 317450)
I saw it in 3D but didn't think much of the experience. The glasses bugged me the whole time and I didn't think that the film lent itself that well to the format. And it's not like you can just take off the glasses and watch it in the regular format.

That is my only complaint with 3D, that the glasses darken the screen. Maybe I would have liked Avatar had I seen it in 2D.

MikeWaters 01-11-2013 03:52 PM

Avatar and Life of Pi are the only films that I have seen that I thought should be seen in 3D.

I'm not generally a fan.

If you didn't like 3D in Avatar, but probably not worth seeing Life of Pi.

realtall 01-15-2013 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 317451)
Hmm, surprised you didn't like the visuals. That was the only good part of the movie.

I liked the visuals fine as far as scenery, etc, went. I just didn't think that they lent themselves that well to being viewed in 3D.