cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness and Wellness (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Getting off of Caffeine (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7908)

RockyBalboa 04-25-2007 02:24 PM

Getting off of Caffeine

Okay....so for the 12395823095823058258390 time I'm gonna try and go off caffeine completely.

I drink WAY too much soda and it's likely the main culprit for my weight gain.

I'm 6'2 and right now at my biggest weight ever of around 200 pounds. I grew up very skinny, in fact was teased quite a bit for it, but as I hit my mid 20's I filled out. Still a thin frame, but was at a good healthy weight of about 170-175 for several years.

I'd like to get back down to that. My biggest problem is the weaning off of caffeine. I suffer literally debilitating headaches when I go off. The kind that put me in the Lazboy and I can barely move for 2 days. Granted I should quit being a pussy and just take the punishment since it's my own damn fault for getting in this position to begin with.

Sorry for the long-windedness, but for those of you who've gone off the caffeine...any suggestions what I can do to avoid the major headaches I get while getting it out of my system? Thanks,,,any advice, insights or opinions are appreciated.

I do have a work out program on the horizon, but I need to get this crap out of my system first.

SteelBlue 04-25-2007 02:29 PM

Rocky, start by switching to Diet Coke. You still get your caffeine but no calories. When I quit drinking regular soda it was good for a minimum 5 pound weight loss.

MikeWaters 04-25-2007 02:30 PM

I think I saw a report that even Diet soft drinks can cause weight increase because the sugar taste stimulates your appetite.

I quit caffeine a few months ago. I didn't have any headaches. But I can tell you I feel much better as a result.

Jeff Lebowski 04-25-2007 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 76338)
I think I saw a report that even Diet soft drinks can cause weight increase because the sugar taste stimulates your appetite.

I quit caffeine a few months ago. I didn't have any headaches. But I can tell you I feel much better as a result.

Better in what way?

RockyBalboa 04-25-2007 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 76337)
Rocky, start by switching to Diet Coke. You still get your caffeine but no calories. When I quit drinking regular soda it was good for a minimum 5 pound weight loss.

Thanks for the advice. I've thought about that, but I really don't enjoy the diet drinks. I know I could learn to like them, but for me it's the over all health issue. I'd like to get off carbonation completely eventually, but the first step is getting off of caffeine.

Honestly...I drink it like I have an I.V. stuck in me and it's so unhealthy for me. My affinity for Dr. Pepper, Cherry Coke, Mountain Dew is way out of hand.

I used to be fairly athletic. Loved to play basketball, could jump out of the gym, could spar and train for long periods of time with the style of karate I've learned and could run for awhile...etc...etc..etc...and now that's gone kaput cause I've let myself go for too long. It's my own fault like I've said and now I've got to rectify it.

MikeWaters 04-25-2007 02:35 PM

A little sharper. Like a dull hum had been turned off.

RockyBalboa 04-25-2007 02:39 PM

Sorry...I should've put this in the health and fitness section.

Archaea 04-25-2007 03:00 PM

If you're having headaches due to caffeine withdrawal, I suggest you take some aspirin or ibuprofin for a brief period.

RockyBalboa 04-25-2007 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 76348)
If you're having headaches due to caffeine withdrawal, I suggest you take some aspirin or ibuprofin for a brief period.

That stuff doesn't even faze me when I get a headache. Literally no effect on the pain.

il Padrino Ute 04-25-2007 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyBalboa (Post 76350)
That stuff doesn't even faze me when I get a headache. Literally no effect on the pain.

Stop by my house next time you have a headache and I'll treat you with my guaranteed "pain transfer" method of curing headaches.

How do I do it? A 16 lb. sledge to the side of your knee and I promise the headache will go away.