cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Roger Ailes and Fox News (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29789)

MikeWaters 07-19-2016 11:40 PM

Roger Ailes and Fox News

Man, it sure is coming out that guy is one of the worst creepers around. I listened to an interview from a non-anonymous woman from the early 1990s who was working as a political consultant. She said that Ailes demanded that she have sex with him and other powerful men, or else. She refused. She was blackballed and her consulting career was over. Ailes' camp's response? Something like that was a different era.

What? The era where you could bully women into sex and blackball the women who refused?

Now reports that the "top" talent at Fox may quit in support of Ailes. that would be so awesome. It reminds of when the MLB umps resigned in protest and their resignations were all accepted. That was some awesome too.

I don't watch the news anymore. Waste of time.

ChinoCoug 08-24-2016 01:13 PM

Andrea Tantaros is now accusing him of harrassment.

She made a statement about Fox News that captured my impressions about Fox News when I first learned what it was: They all talk about traditional values, yet they're full of sleazy content.

She's the most attractive political news personality, IMO. Couldn't stand anything coming out of her mouth on Out#. I'd rather just turn the sound off and watch her.

MikeWaters 08-24-2016 04:26 PM

I can't stand Fox News. I don't watch any news anymore. Election night I'll probably watch CNN.

I used to be such a news junkie. I guess when you get older you realize it's a waste of time.

Archaea 08-24-2016 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 321986)
I can't stand Fox News. I don't watch any news anymore. Election night I'll probably watch CNN.

I used to be such a news junkie. I guess when you get older you realize it's a waste of time.

I won't watch election night as I will be back on a plane. Watch a streaming of the BBC to receive more dispassionate coverage.

realtall 09-10-2016 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 321986)

Same here, except I will try not to watch anything. Also, I will most likely quietly sit in the corner and rock back and forth, trying to convince myself that hillary isn't president.

BlueK 04-20-2017 04:27 PM

Bill O'Reilly fired. Now more reports coming out about the whole environment at FOX.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/20/medi...ews/index.html

Archaea 04-20-2017 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueK (Post 323022)
Bill O'Reilly fired. Now more reports coming out about the whole environment at FOX.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/20/medi...ews/index.html

I am constantly shocked that men believe they are immune and can get away with this sort of behavior.

BlueK 04-24-2017 08:02 PM

Now Sean Hannity.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sean-hann...121414473.html

ChinoCoug 05-18-2017 05:08 PM

Ailes has gone the way of JoePa.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...ceo-dies-at-77

BlueK 01-16-2018 05:26 PM

Fox News was started as kind of a Republican Party perspective news organization. Sad how they more resemble state run media from an authoritarian regime now, with Trump as their target audience. Can't be called anything resembling "news" anymore. It's purely Trump propaganda.

MikeWaters 01-16-2018 09:22 PM

I don't watch news anymore. I see it mainly as biased partisan groups yelling at each other.

For example, I read a CNN article about immigration, and the guy called Dick Durbin a moderate. I laughed.

BlueK 01-19-2018 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 323412)
I don't watch news anymore. I see it mainly as biased partisan groups yelling at each other.

For example, I read a CNN article about immigration, and the guy called Dick Durbin a moderate. I laughed.

With an aging population and low birth rate, we should probably err on the side of letting more people in legally than the other way, or eventually the economy will pay the price for it. Trump got popular with his base for harping on illegals, but over the last few weeks he's basically been pushing for the slam the door shut on almost all legal immigration also approach, which combined with stifling free trade would be very bad for the economy.

MikeWaters 01-20-2018 01:45 AM

You just stated the prevalent libertarian position. Open borders for productive people. Lots of immigration produces winners and losers. Who are The Losers?

BlueK 01-22-2018 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 323423)
You just stated the prevalent libertarian position. Open borders for productive people. Lots of immigration produces winners and losers. Who are The Losers?

I honestly don't believe there are that many losers under a well designed immigration law that isn't so restrictive that honest people wanting to make a better life for themselves can't enter legally, so they opt for the black market. That's really where a lot of the problems stem from.

It is a lot like drugs. You can try to spend billions on fighting a war that only addresses the supply side, but as long as there is demand, it barely matters. Same goes for labor. And the demand for labor is only going to increase. With millions of people going into retirement and fewer workers to pay for it, the country needs the labor. Or we can drastically cut back social security benefits, which there is no appetite for under either party.

MikeWaters 01-22-2018 05:17 PM

You honestly believe there would be no losers if the US had open borders. Anyone who is "honest" can come and work and live.

BlueK 01-22-2018 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 323429)
You honestly believe there would be no losers if the US had open borders. Anyone who is "honest" can come and work and live.

I didn't say totally open, uncontrolled borders.

What a lot of people don't realize is how hard it is already to enter the country legally if you want to live here and work. And Trump's idea is to make it even harder.

MikeWaters 01-22-2018 11:55 PM

the list of honest people in the world who want a better life and would move to USA at the drop of a hat if given a visa is how long?

MikeWaters 01-23-2018 12:00 AM

I think you're playing lose and hard with the facts.

Legal immigration: We're giving legal status to more immigrants from 2010 on (per year), compared to any decade since 1930.
'
He's a pretty flabbergasting fact:
% of people in America who are native born in 1970: 4.7%.

In 2015 it is 13.4% and rising rapidly.

Please stop saying we can't control our borders and immigration. We choose not to.

Please stop saying it is harder than ever to get a green card in America.

BlueK 01-23-2018 02:41 AM

4.7% in 1970 is the lowest percentage of foreign born in the entire history of the United States. It's a huge outlier in the history of the the country. That's the standard we want to go for? Maybe partially as a result, the 1970s economy was really bad. I mean, ironicially Jimmy Carter won in 1976 exactly because the economy sucked. That was his campaign message, kind of like Clinton's in 92. Furthermore, the 12.9% of today is still lower than what that percentage was at any time in the US between 1860 and 1920. It's not alarmingly high by historical standards. And how much of this is due to the birth rate among the native born today being ridiculously low as opposed to it being that easy to enter legally? Yet, despite all these terrible foreigners running around, as Fox Noise! would have us believe, the US remains a really great place to live, IMO. The economy is pretty strong. Sure, it's not as great for those who don't have education, but some type of post HS training that can lead to good employment is not really that hard to come by for the motivated. There are grants for that. I should know. I grew up worse than dirt poor. I just don't see demographic trends by themselves as a good reason to crack down on legal immigration.

MikeWaters 01-23-2018 02:54 AM

Says the guy who has always lived in the far away burbs?

For people like me, legal and illegal immigration don't have a huge effect. Well I take that back, there is no doubt I would make more money if some legal immigration was curtailed in my profession. But I don't really care about that.

Is America fracturing right now or coming together. If we are coming together, then by all means, continue record immigration. If we are fracturing, maybe we need a period of reduced immigration. So says Andrew Sullivan.

MikeWaters 01-23-2018 03:17 PM

I guess this might a summary of the libertarian pro- open borders movement.

https://openborders.info/us-specific...ion-arguments/

BlueK 01-24-2018 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 323438)
Says the guy who has always lived in the far away burbs?

For people like me, legal and illegal immigration don't have a huge effect. Well I take that back, there is no doubt I would make more money if some legal immigration was curtailed in my profession. But I don't really care about that.

I haven't always lived in the far away burbs. From 1995-2004 I lived in a cheap condo which was actually within the city of Dallas. It was in the little northeast corner of town where Dallas meets up with both Richardson and Garland. Whites were definitely not in the majority in that neighborhood. Then I bought a house a couple of miles east of there in Garland. The link below is about the closest elementary school, less than a mile away. Only 7% of the students at that school are white. It was a peaceful neighborhood. The ward there at church was great. I truly miss it because I liked seeing both well off and less well off members of all ethnic backgrounds loving and helping each other. It was definitely not the ghetto, but it wasn't Frisco either.

https://www.publicschoolreview.com/b...school-profile

Your point about immigration not really affecting you personally is actually true for the majority of Americans. I don't think it really affects most people outside of the hype shown on TV, especially by Fox which has been beating that drum for the last 15 years or so.

There have definitely been economic changes which have hurt the less educated. At the same time, the economy is booming right now for those who have graduated from college or have experience and marketable skills. Unfortunately, rural parts of the country where most people don't have those are struggling. But those problems can probably more accurately be blamed on a really bad tax structure and crony capitalism. Trump's tax bill just passed into law is ironically only going to make things worse for the people who support him the most.

MikeWaters 01-24-2018 04:54 PM

it's impacted me in some ways. For example, it plays a huge part of why I don't live in Dallas anymore. The school was so bad, we had to move. Also in my inability to sell my old house (bad schools combined with bad market). This has been driven by immigration of poor uneducated Hispanics.

Not that they are bad people.

Where I live in the burbs, there are plenty of poor people in my ward boundaries. Cheap apartments.

But can I not get a job because of poor Hispanic immigration. No, that's not the case.