cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Basketball (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Who said that Utah has hidden talent? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6331)

MikeWaters 02-01-2007 01:54 PM

Who said that Utah has hidden talent?

Didn't someone say that the Ute players are young, but very talented?

Admittedly, I watched the game on the slingbox (which was connected by VGA cable to my DLP :) ), and didn't pay terribly close attention the whole game.

But besides Neville, I would have a hard time saying that Utah has any players.

I look at that team, and I am not surprised at their record. The players look very, very average.

jay santos 02-01-2007 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 57880)

Admittedly, I watched the game on the slingbox (which was connected by VGA cable to my DLP :) ), and didn't pay terribly close attention the whole game.

I look at that team, and I am not surprised at their record. The players look very, very average.

That was the first I've seen them play, but based on what I saw, I don't think they have much potential in the near term.

It was a little surreal to be playing Utah and dominating them on the boards--with not a great rebounding team to boot.

RockyBalboa 02-01-2007 05:19 PM

I really like their 6'6 Freshman Point Guard Curtis Eatmon but Giac hardly plays him.

tooblue 02-01-2007 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 57880)

Utah does have a lot of talent. They are poorly coached, it is as simple as that.

il Padrino Ute 02-01-2007 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyBalboa (Post 57957)
I really like their 6'6 Freshman Point Guard Curtis Eatmon but Giac hardly plays him.

Eatmon is who I really wish Giacoletti would play more. He's exactly the type of player that Giac kept saying that he needs for his style of play, then he sits the kid at the end of the bench.

Frank Layden was right when he commented when Giac was hired that he would be in way over his head as coach of Utah.

MikeWaters 02-01-2007 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooblue (Post 57961)
Utah does have a lot of talent. They are poorly coached, it is as simple as that.

I've yet to see evidence of it. You can't put it all on the coach.

mpfunk 02-01-2007 06:56 PM

Foster is a hell of a talent and he is wasting him away on the bench. Eatmon is talented and he is wasting him away on the bench.

He continues to play terrible players like LB and Ricky Johns. Utah's biggest problem is defense, and defense is not about talent. Defense is all about coaching, and Giac is deficient.

SeattleUte 02-01-2007 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 57985)
I've yet to see evidence of it. You can't put it all on the coach.

You can't put lack of talent on the coach three years into his program when he inherited a full enough cup board to go 29-6 and Sweet 16 (we're just talking about talent here, remember)? This guy is a poor man's Steve Fisher. Don't waste your breath on him. He's toast. We're going to fucking dismember him and throw his remains to a place where the birds and dogs will draw out his guts.

MikeWaters 02-01-2007 06:59 PM

athleticism counts for something on defense. if guys are beating you off the dribble, goodbye defense, hello o-rebounds and putbacks.

mpfunk 02-01-2007 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 57992)
athleticism counts for something on defense. if guys are beating you off the dribble, goodbye defense, hello o-rebounds and putbacks.

Yet with Majerus even when we were not athletic we still played great defense.