cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Kindle (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27221)

MikeWaters 07-15-2010 03:53 PM

Kindle

I got a Kindle for my wife.

I'm thinking it was a pretty good trade.

Anyway, in some ways I am anti e-book. I like owning a book that you can put on your bookshelf, and can lend out if you want. I like having a physical book.

But the Kindle has some advantages. You can get a lot of free books (ones from which the copyright has expired). I think 1923 is the key date.

You can also check your email, and do a little websurfing, although it is not ideal for that. The cool thing, however, is that it doesn't charge a monthly fee for that. In fact, I pulled up cougarguard last night on the Kindle.

At the $109 I paid, hard to beat.

But when push comes to shove, I'm still buying the paper versions.

wuapinmon 07-26-2010 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 311580)
I got a Kindle for my wife.

I'm thinking it was a pretty good trade.

Anyway, in some ways I am anti e-book. I like owning a book that you can put on your bookshelf, and can lend out if you want. I like having a physical book.

But the Kindle has some advantages. You can get a lot of free books (ones from which the copyright has expired). I think 1923 is the key date.

You can also check your email, and do a little websurfing, although it is not ideal for that. The cool thing, however, is that it doesn't charge a monthly fee for that. In fact, I pulled up cougarguard last night on the Kindle.

At the $109 I paid, hard to beat.

But when push comes to shove, I'm still buying the paper versions.

My grandpa, a widower, has two of them. He's 87, a retired attorney, and used to reading a lot. He reads about 6-7 hours a day now, all on his Kindles. He went with me to Costa Rica in May, and after I read all of the books I brought with me, I used to one to read an old Clancy novel that I hadn't read since high school, Without Remorse. I liked the Kindle, but two things make it less than ideal: 1) I remember things in books visually. If I try to find something, in my mind, I can see it on the page, so I will remember if it was on the right or left page, top or bottom of the page, etc. The Kindle would limit that if I tried to use it to read novels or academic texts for work (another issue would be that I couldn't write in the margins if I wanted to teach the text). 2) I don't know if they've fixed this or not on newer models, but you can't read them in low light, which I'm sure they will remedy soon enough.

MikeWaters 07-26-2010 02:17 AM

My wife is reading "Tarzan of the Apes" on the Kindle right now. That makes me happy. It's the first novel I ever read.