cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cycling (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   I am trying to be a runner (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7200)

TheSizzle36 03-23-2007 02:00 AM

I am trying to be a runner

Let me preface this by saying that running has never been my thing even when I was in shape. I've hated running distances, no matter how long or short. But after my son was born, I realized how overweight I was (I weighed about 255 on a 6'2" frame) and how much I needed to be in shape. Ideally I need to get down to around 190-200 as I have a frame that can let me carry more weight and still look okay.

So for Valentine's Day my wife gave me (even though I purchased and came up with the idea) a Nike + system for her Nano so I could track my workouts and motivate myself to get out and run. I've had it for just over a month and I absolutely love it. Since I started using it, I've ran almost 40 miles (for me, it's a HUGE accomplishment) Nothing has gotten me running EVER like this before. And in addition to running I've also tried eating better, healthier foods. The first week I both ran and ate better I dropped from about 248 on Sunday to 238 the next Monday (which was this last Monday). I've put on a few of those pounds back thanks to a lousy late-night meal after the temple at Applebee's Tuesday and some Pizza last night, but still I've been motivated to get in shape.

Anyways, I post this because I just got back from my longest run ever, which for me feels great. I feel like I've accomplished something. I ran 5.11 miles in about 55 minutes, so about an 11 minute mile. I don't know that I'll ever be able to run a full on Marathon, but my goal is to just run as much as I can. I want to be in shape, and this is hopefully going to be a great chance at getting back where I want to be, and where I really should be. I'm also taking a shirtless picture every week to track. Maybe once I get a little further along I'll post some pictures so you can make fun of me for getting to the point that I was at, but working my way back to where I'm going to be. And if anybody else has a Nike + (I know Steel Blue does) I'm always up for a challenge to keep me motivated!

FarrahWaters 03-23-2007 02:13 AM

That's great, Sizzle. I think running is a great way to get in shape-- how many overweight runners do you see? (I always seem to see cyclists with beer guts).

I'd like to run a marathon eventually, I'm shooting for a half marathon in the fall. With two small kids, I can usually only workout in the gym, and running for long distances on the treadmill gets very boring.

creekster 03-23-2007 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarrahWaters (Post 67149)
(I always seem to see cyclists with beer guts).

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

MikeWaters 03-23-2007 03:05 AM

running sucks. cycling rules. (haven't done any cycling in months)

also, boxing workouts rule.

Down to 171 today. From a lifetime high of about 200. I haven't weighed this little since before my mission I think.

best way to lose weight is to get really sick and have no appetite.

TheSizzle36 03-23-2007 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 67171)
running sucks. cycling rules. (haven't done any cycling in months)

also, boxing workouts rule.

Down to 171 today. From a lifetime high of about 200. I haven't weighed this little since before my mission I think.

best way to lose weight is to get really sick and have no appetite.

I would actually love to cross train and add some cycling here this summer. Only problem is my bike is broken. That is a slight problem.

I'd also love to do some boxing workouts. But I don't know of a good boxing gym around here... nor do I really have any $$$ to spare on a boxing gym.

I'm also trying to workout and go lift weights on my lunch break at work.

BarbaraGordon 03-23-2007 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 (Post 67142)
I'm also taking a shirtless picture every week to track. Maybe once I get a little further along I'll post some pictures so you can make fun of me for getting to the point that I was at

Dude if we're starting with shirtless pics, I'm so outta here.

Running is my weak point too. Congrats on the start you're off to.

MikeWaters 03-23-2007 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 67177)
Dude if we're starting with shirtless pics, I'm so outta here.

I already started.

il Padrino Ute 03-23-2007 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 67182)
I already started.

Well, it's not shirtless, but it is unbuttoned a bit, as was the style in 1978.

My new avitar is a bad copy of my yearbook picture my freshman year of high school.

Yes, I was/am a dork.

Archaea 03-23-2007 04:07 AM

So, as we say in the business, Cougarguard ladies first.

Quisqueyano 03-23-2007 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarrahWaters (Post 67149)
That's great, Sizzle. I think running is a great way to get in shape-- how many overweight runners do you see? (I always seem to see cyclists with beer guts).

I'd like to run a marathon eventually, I'm shooting for a half marathon in the fall. With two small kids, I can usually only workout in the gym, and running for long distances on the treadmill gets very boring.

A cyclist with a beer gut is not a cyclist. They are merely recreational riders who spent too much miney on gear they will never really need or use.