cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religious Studies (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   What race were Adam and Eve? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10544)

SoonerCoug 08-01-2007 05:39 AM

What race were Adam and Eve?

What race were Adam and Eve?

This is a serious question. I'm perplexed as to why they are portrayed as caucasian in Mormonism, whereas all the evidence suggests that the earliest humans were indeed black.

Indy Coug 08-01-2007 11:36 AM

Do you believe in a literal Adam and Eve?

YOhio 08-01-2007 01:09 PM

Missourian.

Brian 08-01-2007 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 108504)

Sure. there is a guy named Adam in my ward and I knew a girl named Eve in high school.

SoonerCoug 08-01-2007 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 108504)

Every species has a common ancestor. It's a scientifically proven fact that all humans descended from a single female in Africa (who scientists also term "Eve"), and that's no big surprise.

I think it's critically important that the Church recognize the fact that Adam and Eve most certainly were "black" and that this be adopted into our representations of Adam and Eve. There's nothing wrong with telling the truth. When was the last time you saw a major figure in our theological history represented by an actor of color?

Indy Coug 08-01-2007 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoonerCoug (Post 108535)
Every species has a common ancestor. It's a scientifically proven fact that all humans descended from a single female in Africa (who scientists also term "Eve"), and that's no big surprise.

I think it's critically important that the Church recognize the fact that Adam and Eve most certainly were "black" and that this be adopted into our representations of Adam and Eve. There's nothing wrong with telling the truth. When was the last time you saw a major figure in our theological history represented by an actor of color?

Do you believe that Adam and Eve lived in and around Adam-Ondi-Ahman, Missouri?

SoonerCoug 08-01-2007 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 108537)
Do you believe that Adam and Eve lived in and around Adam-Ondi-Ahman, Missouri?

Just admit that the concept of a black Adam and Eve offends you.

MikeWaters 08-01-2007 03:04 PM

<yawn>

Indy Coug 08-01-2007 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoonerCoug (Post 108547)
Just admit that the concept of a black Adam and Eve offends you.

Why not answer the question? I don't think there is any logical basis to conclude what race Adam and Eve were.

Certainly, if Adam and Eve were literal beings that also lived in present-day Missouri, then that calls into question your dogmatic assertion that they were black.

To believe that Adam and Eve weren't literal beings nor did they live in present-day Missouri is to essentially claim that multiple scriptures and multiple statements by Apostles and Prophets, who clearly referred to both conditions in a literal context, as being wrong.

I answered "other", I didn't answer "white".

SoonerCoug 08-01-2007 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 108553)
Why not answer the question? I don't think there is any logical basis to conclude what race Adam and Eve were.

Certainly, if Adam and Eve were literal beings that also lived in present-day Missouri, then that calls into question your dogmatic assertion that they were black.

To believe that Adam and Eve weren't literal beings nor did they live in present-day Missouri is to essentially claim that multiple scriptures and multiple statements by Apostles and Prophets, who clearly referred to both conditions in a literal context, as being wrong.

I answered "other", I didn't answer "white".

A. I told you that I believed they were literal beings, so I don't know what your problem is.

B. If they lived transiently in Missouri, then what influence does it have on whether they were white or black? You could just as easily argue that they would most likely have been black if they lived in the St. Louis.