cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Is courting the new dating? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24114)

FarrahWaters 10-29-2008 10:03 PM

Is courting the new dating?

For evangelicals, anyway? I was talking to a teenage girl who comes from a very conservative family (not sure what church they attend). She told me that her older sister, a sophomore in college, had brought a male friend home to meet the family. Apparently, he is not her boyfriend, because they are courting. This boy had to ask permission from the father to court his daughter, and they do not hold hands or touch in any other way. They don't go on dates alone, it seems like they hang out in a group, so there's always some sort of chaperone. You know, kind of like they did a couple hundred years ago.

Anyone else heard of this?

BarbaraGordon 10-29-2008 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarrahWaters (Post 286314)
For evangelicals, anyway? I was talking to a teenage girl who comes from a very conservative family (not sure what church they attend). She told me that her older sister, a sophomore in college, had brought a male friend home to meet the family. Apparently, he is not her boyfriend, because they are courting. This boy had to ask permission from the father to court his daughter, and they do not hold hands or touch in any other way. They don't go on dates alone, it seems like they hang out in a group, so there's always some sort of chaperone. You know, kind of like they did a couple hundred years ago.

My cousin did it. It's exceeeeeeeeedingly rare because, frankly, it's not near as much fun.

Archaea 10-29-2008 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 286316)
My cousin did it. It's exceeeeeeeeedingly rare because, frankly, it's not near as much fun.

What's the fun in chaperons?

BarbaraGordon 10-29-2008 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 286320)
What's the fun in chaperons?

It's not necessarily chaperones in the traditional sense, but the couple is never alone together. Group dates and such.

Absolutely no physical contact until the wedding. Which, frankly, I think would be really really awkward.

Hot Lunch 10-29-2008 10:12 PM

Quote:

I am not sure but I was told that pink was the new black awhile ago. Not sure if that is still true.

Flystripper 10-29-2008 10:19 PM

Quote:

Not the rage here in SoCal

Archaea 10-29-2008 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 286322)
It's not necessarily chaperones in the traditional sense, but the couple is never alone together. Group dates and such.

Absolutely no physical contact until the wedding. Which, frankly, I think would be really really awkward.

As opposed to no physical contact after marriage?

Glad I'm not a teenager.

Archaea 10-29-2008 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 286322)

Why does the spellchecker tell me you misspelled Chaperons?

BarbaraGordon 10-29-2008 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 286336)
Why does the spellchecker tell me you misspelled Chaperons?

Apparently your spellchecker favors French.

Archaea 10-29-2008 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 286351)
Apparently your spellchecker favors French.

It might at that.