cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Wedding Song Playlist (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10435)

Surfah 07-29-2007 05:41 AM

Wedding Song Playlist

3 weeks to go until the big day. Our reception is going to be pretty casual. So no DJ or band will be playing. The reception will be held outdoors. So I am putting together a play list of music. The reception will be two hours long. No lines, no dinner, no wedding party introductions, etc. The only thing we will be doing is daddy-daughter dance, mother-son, and then our first dance.

I tried just putting the new Interpol album on loop but she's not a fan. Worth checking out though.

I am looking for a good mix of contemporary and traditional to go with music from our eclectic tastes to play in the background as people mingle. So please post some of your favorites.

BarbaraGordon 07-29-2007 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surfah33 (Post 107182)
I am looking for a good mix of contemporary and traditional to go with music from our eclectic tastes to play in the background as people mingle. So please post some of your favorites.

Do you want mostly fun music to encourage people to have a good time? Or music people will actually dance to? Or sort of both? It doesn't sound like you're aiming for formal, right?

One or two receptions I've been to really stood out above the others. I'll see if I can track down my friends and steal some of their playlist.

FMCoug 07-29-2007 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 107251)
Do you want mostly fun music to encourage people to have a good time? Or music people will actually dance to? Or sort of both?

You've obviously never been to a Mormon wedding reception. I've been to funerals more exciting. Generalizing of course but many are VERY boring. Which is what it sounds like Surfah is trying to avoid.

IMO, the biggest hurdle he'll have is that a lot of members show up at weddings expecting the typical funeral procession with soft music playing in the background and mints on the table.

What we did is "prime the pump" so to speak by pre-planning for a bunch of our friends to start dancing, etc. once the dancing started. After a little while people figured out that you were supposed to dance and have a good time.

BarbaraGordon 07-29-2007 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMCoug (Post 107255)
IMO, the biggest hurdle he'll have is that a lot of members show up at weddings expecting the typical funeral procession with soft music playing in the background and mints on the table.

oh. So "I'm too Sexy" is out of the question?

Surfah 07-29-2007 10:07 PM

FM is spot on. I am avoiding the typical Mormon wedding. And for the most part it won't be since my fiance is the only member in her family.

However, half of the songs I picked out last night already got axed by the girl so I am trying to find a happy medium. So what I am looking for is fun music that will be mellow enough so as not to distract conversation but still be able to dance to. And of utmost importance to my fiance is that the music be happy.

il Padrino Ute 07-29-2007 10:56 PM

You may be scheduling the reception to be two hours, but if you really think it will last only two hours, you're nuts.

Be ready for one of the longest - yet happiest - days of your life.

Our reception didn't have dancing because my in-laws paid for a string quartet to be at the reception.

The only suggestion I have for music is a song by Paul Lukakis - Boom, boom.

YOhio 07-29-2007 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 107257)
oh. So "I'm too Sexy" is out of the question?

Surfah is way too sexy for that song.

FMCoug 07-29-2007 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 107267)
Our reception didn't have dancing because my in-laws paid for a string quartet to be at the reception.

See what I mean Barbara?

BarbaraGordon 07-29-2007 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 107267)

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMCoug (Post 107282)
See what I mean Barbara?

I had a string quartet at my reception, too.

RockyBalboa 07-29-2007 11:56 PM

Are you looking for dance music with a hip hop vibe?

If you are I've got several suggestions.