cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Olympic sports that have to go (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21563)

Jeff Lebowski 08-13-2008 09:31 PM

Olympic sports that have to go

Swimming is one of my favorite Olympic sports. I feel the same way about track and field. It is sport in its simplest form.

That being said, there are some sports that need to go. Their very presence in the Olympics cheapens the other sports. Here is my list:

1) Rhythmic gymnastics - any sport that requires both makeup and judges is not a sport
2) Badminton - If you include this, then you have to include bocci, lawn dice, and croquet.
3) Yachting - too aristocratic. Ugh.
4) Equestrian - see item 3. And if you include this, you need to include bareback riding and bull riding.
5) Handball - who plays handball?

What would you include on your list?

Jeff Lebowski 08-13-2008 09:34 PM

Oops. I almost forgot synchronized swimming. It's a tie for #1 on my list.

Indy Coug 08-13-2008 09:35 PM

Synchronized diving
Tennis

TripletDaddy 08-13-2008 09:39 PM

Yachting is an olympic sport? Seriously? I guess I missed that. What is it...a huge regatta? Or is it based on the nicest boat? the best wine/cheese spread?

il Padrino Ute 08-13-2008 09:39 PM

I'd get rid of synchronized diving.

I'm not a fan of beach volleyball, as that is something you do for recreation at the beach, so that's gone.

It's not a sport, but as long as we're eliminating things, I'd be all for not allowing France to participate.

Jeff Lebowski 08-13-2008 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 252288)
I'm not a fan of beach volleyball, as that is something you do for recreation at the beach, so that's gone.

You obviously missed the scene four years ago when Misty and Kerri celebrated winning the gold. Yowza.

landpoke 08-13-2008 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 252288)
I'm not a fan of beach volleyball

Huh, I always thought you were a guy.

Rickomatic 08-13-2008 09:46 PM

Any sport that needs a judge to decide the winner. That includes winter sports. Refs and umpires are needed to ensure rules are followed in other sports.

Flystripper 08-13-2008 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 252279)
Synchronized diving
Tennis

why tennis?

SteelBlue 08-13-2008 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickomatic (Post 252299)
Any sport that needs a judge to decide the winner. That includes winter sports. Refs and umpires are needed to ensure rules are followed in other sports.

I'd say that any sport where your costume is judged as part of your score. Yeah, I'm talking to you figure skating.

As far as summer goes:

synchronized anything
BMX (too x games for me)
Equestrian. At least give the medal to the friggin horse.
Any sport with a boat that isn't being rowed