cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   KSL.com reporting 2 people dead in a youth pioneer trek accident (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21535)

scottie 08-12-2008 05:25 PM

KSL.com reporting 2 people dead in a youth pioneer trek accident

www.ksl.com -- "BREAKING NEWS" at the top of the page.

YOhio 08-12-2008 05:30 PM

I really hope they weren't pulling handcarts on the Fairview Canyon road that leads into Huntington Canyon. It's a very dangerous road.

MikeWaters 08-12-2008 05:35 PM

I've found that there are lots of different opinions about what is reasonably safe.

Like my brother-in-law's bike riding--I consider it risky riding. But then a lot of people here have mocked me as being ultra-careful and would probably consider my b-in-law's riding perfectly appropriate.

When you are in charge of a group of kids, it's best to veer towards more safety than not.

However it was being conducted, it wouldn't suprise me if it had been conducted before in the same fashion many times without incident. Giving the illusion of safety.

MikeWaters 08-12-2008 08:22 PM

On Highway 31, driver "blinded by the sun."

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=3994955

YOhio 08-12-2008 08:29 PM

I don't know if anybody has ever driven on Highway 31 between Fairview and Huntington (or Scofield), but it's one of the last places I can imagine having a pioneer trek. Narrow windy roads, steep mountains and fast drivers. I feel horrible for those kids.

il Padrino Ute 08-12-2008 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 251789)
I don't know if anybody has ever driven on Highway 31 between Fairview and Huntington (or Scofield), but it's one of the last places I can imagine having a pioneer trek. Narrow windy roads, steep mountains and fast drivers. I feel horrible for those kids.

Agreed. That is really no place for a handcart to be pulled by any group, let alone youth.

The gentleman killed is a friend of my mother. He was a very nice man. A sad day for the good folks of Emery County.

My heart goes out to family of the girl. I have family in her hometown as well and because Tropic is such a small town, I'm sure the entire town is in mourning, as folks there are all very close.

UteStar 08-12-2008 09:02 PM

That is a true tragedy. And YOhio is correct...it is an absolutely beautiful canyon, but the road is winding, drivers are going 40-55mph the whole way thru that canyon and with blind curves, you could see this happening. Seeley is a local legend down there so that is a terrible loss for the community and to lose a young girl like that...heartbreaking.

Mrs. Funk 08-12-2008 09:25 PM

Anybody else seeing these deaths as the death of future pioneer trek reenactments?

MikeWaters 08-12-2008 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs. Funk (Post 251824)
Anybody else seeing these deaths as the death of future pioneer trek reenactments?

no. just like all the scouting deaths haven't led to the end of scouting.

SLC will probably come up with some guidelines that will be distributed to SPs and Bishops. For safety.

il Padrino Ute 08-12-2008 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs. Funk (Post 251824)

No, the Brethren won't get rid of the treks, unless new evidence comes out that the Mormon pioneers actually arrived in SLC by rail.

Mike points to scouting as an example. They won't pull the plug on something that is an overall good thing for kids to experience. I could see folks being directed to not do handcart treks along Highway 31 from now on.