cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Study shows bankruptcy in Utah (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9476)

BYU71 06-28-2007 02:35 PM

Study shows bankruptcy in Utah

is about the same amongst LDS folks as non-LDS folks. So bankruptcies aren't high in Utah because of large families or 10% tithe payers. We are just like everyone else in Utah when it comes to bankruptcy and are not causing the higher than average numbers compared to other state.

That's the good news. The bad news is we are the same as everyone else in the state when it comes to filing for bankruptcy. I would expect more from us. Maybe it is the "inactives" that are filing and making the active members look bad.

MikeWaters 06-28-2007 02:38 PM

If Utah Mormons were living the gospel, they would have among the lowest rates in the country.

It's a scandal.

More evidence of why the New Jerusalem isn't/wont' be in Utah.

SeattleUte 06-28-2007 02:54 PM

Utah is a poor state. It didn't sink in until years after I moved away from Salt Lake and took my second wife there, the first time she'd been there. Such experiences give you new eyes. Much of it is pretty oppressive and run down and quite hopeless, frankly, if not utterly banal.

JohnnyLingo 06-28-2007 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 95174)
Utah is a poor state. It didn't sink in until years after I moved away from Salt Lake and took my second wife there, the first time she'd been there. Such experiences give you new eyes. Much of it is pretty oppressive and run down and quite hopeless, frankly, if not utterly banal.

Phew tell us how you really feel.

YOhio 06-28-2007 03:00 PM

Quote:

Using what I assume is your standard, you could say the same thing about 4/5ths of the United States.

BYU71 06-28-2007 03:03 PM

Quote:

I think you really should have added, "in my opinion". When I graduated from college I couldn't wait to get out of oppressive, run down, and hopeless Utah. After hanging out in progressive, upbeat and optimistic California (bay area) for 6 years I was glad to get back to Utah and haven't regretted it.

I don't know what causes the excessive bankruptcies here, but poor isn't the reason.

jay santos 06-28-2007 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYU71 (Post 95165)
is about the same amongst LDS folks as non-LDS folks. So bankruptcies aren't high in Utah because of large families or 10% tithe payers. We are just like everyone else in Utah when it comes to bankruptcy and are not causing the higher than average numbers compared to other state.

That's the good news. The bad news is we are the same as everyone else in the state when it comes to filing for bankruptcy. I would expect more from us. Maybe it is the "inactives" that are filing and making the active members look bad.

Blame IHC.

SeattleUte 06-28-2007 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 95178)
Using what I assume is your standard, you could say the same thing about 4/5ths of the United States.

You know, I visit the Central District and other traditionally downtrodden areas of Seattle not infrequently and I don't get the same feeling of dead end quality that I get in similar areas in Salt Lake. For one thing, often there is a high degree of cultural diversity and energy, even exoticism, including a fairly high immigrant population.

SeattleUte 06-28-2007 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYU71 (Post 95180)
I don't know what causes the excessive bankruptcies here, but poor isn't the reason.

The data says Utah incomes are among the lowest in the nation.

MikeWaters 06-28-2007 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 95183)
You know, I visit the Central District other traditionally downtrodden areas of Seattle not infrequently and I don't get the same feeling of dead end quality that I get in similar areas in Salt Lake. For one thing, often there is a high degree of cultural diversity and energy, even exoticism, including a fairly high immigrant population.

Does your wife know about your slow drives in the downtrodden areas, and the exotics you encounter?