cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cycling (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Cycling hits home (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8535)

The Borg 05-23-2007 03:11 PM

Cycling hits home

This past weekend, much to my shock, a fellow on our work cycling team was killed in a bicycle/car accident up in Sardine Canyon here in Utah.

Wow...just kind of brings the dangers of cycling on roadways, and how tragic a fun, enjoyable ride on your bike can turn.

How I wish the roadways here in Utah were more cycle friendly.

Be careful everyone.

creekster 05-23-2007 03:15 PM

That's very sad. I echo your sentiments: it is dangerous out there and we do need to be careful.

Archaea 05-23-2007 03:17 PM

Defensive riding skills are a must, especially in Utah. Rednecks are not your friends.

MikeWaters 05-23-2007 03:24 PM

That's why I won't ride on public roads (except for the neighborhood residential roads that lead to the local lake), unless I am with a group.

Your chances of being killed in a group are much less, but not negligible.

It doesn't matter how careful you are, there will still be careless drivers.

Every serious cyclist knows someone that has been killed. I helped a cycling widow move a couple of years ago. Her husband was in my club.

The Borg 05-23-2007 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 84096)
Defensive riding skills are a must, especially in Utah. Rednecks are not your friends.

Agreed. But, how do you protect yourself from say...an non-attentive driver on a cell phone coming up from behind? (this was not the circustances of our team member...but it's one that I always fear)

It's scarey. There's no defense.

Weird how I posted earlier last week about riding on the opposite side of the road so you can see traffic etc. Not much you can do if a driver is not paying attention.

BarbaraGordon 05-23-2007 04:05 PM

I'm sorry to hear of the loss, Borg. Perhaps your company team will want to plan a Ride of Silence next year, to honor your friend.

Archaea 05-23-2007 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Borg (Post 84122)
Agreed. But, how do you protect yourself from say...an non-attentive driver on a cell phone coming up from behind? (this was not the circustances of our team member...but it's one that I always fear)

Weird how I posted earlier last week about riding on the opposite side of the road so you can see traffic etc. Not much you can do if a driver is not paying attention.

Here's one thing, which I know others disagree with, but never ride with a headset or IPOD.

I hear people approaching.

Don't ride with those special glasses.

Be as attentive as you can. Know your ride and the danger spots.

The Borg 05-23-2007 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 84123)
I'm sorry to hear of the loss, Borg. Perhaps your company team will want to plan a Ride of Silence next year, to honor your friend.

Thanks.

Our team leader is setting up a memorial ride as we speak.

BarbaraGordon 05-23-2007 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Borg (Post 84142)
Thanks.

Our team leader is setting up a memorial ride as we speak.

Awesome. I wish I could come but there's that whole three states away thing.

creekster 05-23-2007 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Borg (Post 84122)

There isn't much you can do about inattentive drivers under any circumstance (menaing regardless of whether you are afoot or on bike, or on which side of the road you are on). WInding canyon roads with little or no shoulder are more dangerous than wider roads with a shoulder. Lots of variables go into how dangerous it is, including time of day, placement of the sun, traffic density, etc. If you are prudent and experienced I don't think the risks are unduly high even as a sinlge rider, and I beleive the statistics bear this out. Even so, it is always a risk out there.

creekster 05-23-2007 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 84124)
Here's one thing, which I know others disagree with, but never ride with a headset or IPOD.

I hear people approaching.

Don't ride with those special glasses.

Be as attentive as you can. Know your ride and the danger spots.

I not only do not disagree, but I wholeheartedly endorse this view. IMO you are dramatically increasing the chances you will be hit or otherwise in an accident if you wear headphones. Remember, Nancy Reagan says JUST SAY NO (to headphones).

creekster 05-23-2007 06:04 PM

One other thing, i still think it is safer to ride with traffic, even if this seems counterintuitive, for the reasons I posted in the other thread a day ro so ago.

BarbaraGordon 05-23-2007 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 84177)
Remember, Nancy Reagan says JUST SAY NO (to headphones).

hm. was that what that campaign was about? I had no idea.

When I'm driving, it terrifies me to see cyclists wearing headphones. I use them on the trainer, but not outside.

SteelBlue 05-23-2007 07:12 PM

Creekster is my hero for even getting on a bike in traffic anymore. I get hit once and I'm done forever with public roads, I promise you. I get hit twice and I probably won't even ride on a bike path.

creekster 05-23-2007 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 84201)
Creekster is my hero for even getting on a bike in traffic anymore. I get hit once and I'm done forever with public roads, I promise you. I get hit twice and I probably won't even ride on a bike path.

Thanks, I think, although there may be a veiled indictment of my ability to learn from past mistakes in there.

SteelBlue 05-23-2007 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 84204)
Thanks, I think, although there may be a veiled indictment of my ability to learn from past mistakes in there.

I meant it as a compliment. No veiled insult I promise. I'd like to think that I'd have the courage to stick with riding but I'm fairly certain I'd wuss out.

One interesting thing that I've noticed lately is that when I actually do ride (which currently is a rare occurrence) I am much more fearful in traffic than I am when I've been riding a lot. It's amazing how you can get used to giant 4x4's blowing by you on a narrow shoulder when you're out on the road a few times a week.

The Borg 05-23-2007 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 84207)
It's amazing how you can get used to giant 4x4's blowing by you on a narrow shoulder when you're out on the road a few times a week.

I've noticed this too. If/when I'm riding in traffic...you just can't get "jittery" every time you hear a car coming up from behind...If I look back and see if I'm about to get smashed, then, I'll probably run off the road myself.

Answer: more bike lanes/paths.

Seems like with fuel prices etc...that every time they make or repair a road, they ought to set aside enough $$ to build/pave a bike lane. Eventually, they would all be connected....eventually. (which is better than the status quo)

creekster 05-23-2007 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Borg (Post 84208)
I've noticed this too. If/when I'm riding in traffic...you just can't get "jittery" every time you hear a car coming up from behind...If I look back and see if I'm about to get smashed, then, I'll probably run off the road myself.

Answer: more bike lanes/paths.

Seems like with fuel prices etc...that every time they make or repair a road, they ought to set aside enough $$ to build/pave a bike lane. Eventually, they would all be connected....eventually. (which is better than the status quo)

This is a reamrkably contentious issue in the world of bike advocacy with one side uring more bike paths and the others urging more educaiton and driver awareness with lanes if necessary.

creekster 05-23-2007 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 84207)
One interesting thing that I've noticed lately is that when I actually do ride (which currently is a rare occurrence) I am much more fearful in traffic than I am when I've been riding a lot. It's amazing how you can get used to giant 4x4's blowing by you on a narrow shoulder when you're out on the road a few times a week.

THis is perhaps the biggest reason my wife likes the tandem; she gets real squirrely in traffic on her own but relies on me on the tandem and we are both much calmer.

Archaea 05-23-2007 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 84179)
One other thing, i still think it is safer to ride with traffic, even if this seems counterintuitive, for the reasons I posted in the other thread a day ro so ago.

In traffic is not bad, except you're moving more slowly, usually.

But I agree.

I ride in traffic, on the highway, weave through traffic, ride alone, in groups, but usually I'm safe.

One thing I do which is counter intuitive. I purposefully ride in the car lane, not along the edge, even though I may shoot over to the edge if I perceive a driver not paying attention. The reason is, if they see me in the lane, the will be cautious, but if they think they can go around, sometimes bad things happen.

RC Vikings 05-24-2007 05:28 PM

I hate to hear when a cyclist has been hit and killed by a motorist. I rode in the SLC area for the first time last year and all the traffic made me nervous. I complain about the winters in Rexburg but I love the quiet country roads to ride on in the summer time.

I've been lucky that in my twenty years and 40,000 miles I've only gone down one time. This happened my first year when a car pulled out in front of me. I think the keys are to keep your head on swivel, make sure the cars around you are aware of you and never ride into the sun while it is setting.