cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other College Sports (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Title IX's Faulty Assumption (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7916)

BigFatMeanie 04-25-2007 06:27 PM

Title IX's Faulty Assumption

This article about James Madison dropping certain male sports ends with the following:

Quote:

Chapman says she researched the law and its regulations last fall and came to her position.

"It's nothing against women at all," she says. "I'm a female athlete — and I love to compete. At the same time, Title IX now is almost reverse discrimination."

Jocelyn Samuels, a vice president of the National Women's Law Center, rejects that argument. Opportunities for men and boys have increased in the Title IX era, she says.

Even if sports such as wrestling have lost ground, she says, that's legally irrelevant: "What Title IX demands is equality as measured by individual participation."
My biggest problem with Title IX is that demanding "equality as measured by individual participation" assumes that men and women are equally interested in all aspects of athletics/sports. Why can't the man-haters just accept the fact that women and men are different?

The Borg 04-25-2007 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie (Post 76456)
My biggest problem with Title IX is that demanding "equality as measured by individual participation" assumes that men and women are equally interested in all aspects of athletics/sports. Why can't the man-haters just accept the fact that women and men are different?

Well said...well said.

I'm in the process of raising 3 daughters. Have coached teams they've played in, etc. I grew up a sporting fool...was competitive in everything I played.

I believe in what you say, in that I personally feel that men & women are NOT equally interested in sports.

There are some GREAT female sports fans, competitive athlete etc. But on the whole, I think there is a vast difference in interest level between the sexes.

il Padrino Ute 04-26-2007 12:39 AM

Even worse than men's sports being cut in order to give an equal number of athletic scholarships to women is that if a women's team is unable to have enough interest to have a team and the school has to get rid of it, the school has to eliminate the same number of men's athletic scholarships.

Title IX is all about providing the same number of scholarships and it's a farce. The only thing that is worse for college sports than Title IX is the BCS.

mpfunk 04-27-2007 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie (Post 76456)
This article about James Madison dropping certain male sports ends with the following:

I agree with what you are saying on this. There are actually other ways to comply with Title IX other than the proportionality rule. Problem is those are all subjective standards and no University is going to take the chance to comply under the subjective standard.

Title IX is a joke.

bigpiney 04-27-2007 09:15 PM

I hate Title IX.

I just get pissed thinking about it.

can't comment rationally.

Black Diamond Bay 04-27-2007 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigpiney (Post 77119)
I hate Title IX.

I just get pissed thinking about it.

can't comment rationally.

It sucks away valuable funds from the mens programs that actually produce profits to use on women's sports that operate in the red. Why would anyone think that's a good idea?

bigpiney 04-27-2007 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay (Post 77126)
It sucks away valuable funds from the mens programs that actually produce profits to use on women's sports that operate in the red. Why would anyone think that's a good idea?

It is also not about equality or equal opportunity. It has been the death of olympic sports in this nation.

Black Diamond Bay 04-27-2007 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigpiney (Post 77130)
It is also not about equality or equal opportunity. It has been the death of olympic sports in this nation.

But we have the WNBA

All-American 04-27-2007 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay (Post 77131)
But we have the WNBA

Oh, in THAT case . . .

myboynoah 05-09-2007 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkBritches (Post 79648)
What is wrong with Title IX? It encourages women to take care of their bodies and look fit and strong. I rather pay to see fit looking women play sports than any other way that some people pay to see fit looking women (some bars and private clubs). If you ask me, it is definitely worth the price.

Does the "cream rising to the top" metaphor apply here? I think it does.

BarbaraGordon 05-09-2007 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkBritches (Post 79992)
The cream rises to the top everywhere, but you have to give it the chance. Title IX gives woman's cream better chance to rise to the top and reach its potential.

Can somebody tell me what that means?

I can't tell if it's sexist or obscene.

creekster 05-09-2007 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 80058)
Can somebody tell me what that means?

I can't tell if it's sexist or obscene.

Yes, it is.

myboynoah 05-09-2007 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkBritches (Post 80084)
I didn't mean obscene double entender if that is what you mean. But I suspect myboynoah might have that in mind, which is why I called him out on metaphor the other day. But I am not the metaphor police, a hat that doesn't fit my head.

I apologize. I was a bad boy, and now I've probably offended a librarian superhero. Not a good position to be in.

DB, I thought you were being clever and so I responded in kind. Obviously I misjudged you.

BarbaraGordon 05-09-2007 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myboynoah (Post 80179)
DB, I thought you were being clever and so I responded in kind. Obviously I misjudged you.

I'm not sure why, but that made me LOL.

All-American 05-09-2007 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkBritches (Post 80084)
I didn't mean obscene double entender if that is what you mean. But I suspect myboynoah might have that in mind, which is why I called him out on metaphor the other day. But I am not the metaphor police, a hat that doesn't fit my head. By cream I just mean that women can achieve great things in sports if they have the chance. Lots of girls are cream and they don't even know it, but title IX creates afterschool programs where they learn more about themselves and their potential. In case you haven't noticed, the U.S. has a problem with childhood obesity, so every little bit helps. If Title IX stops a girl from getting obese, then it is worth something. But how much?

It may stop a girl from getting obese. But in doing so, how many opportunities for boys are being dropped? At what point is the trade-off worth it?

BarbaraGordon 05-10-2007 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkBritches (Post 80352)
I don't think equality of opportunity is such a bad value to have, especially if it makes fit looking women the norm and solves some of the obesity in our nation's women.

wow.

All-American 05-10-2007 04:32 AM

Quote:

It may surprise some, but boys and girls are different, and in more ways than three. For starters, boys exercise more than girls, who for various reasons, play with dolls too much. I think it is mostly social, which is why title IX is really good for girls. Helps them to consider choices that society might not make so obvious. There are more important things than making the most money for sports. I don't think equality of opportunity is such a bad value to have, especially if it makes fit looking women the norm and solves some of the obesity in our nation's women. Plus when these women become mothers, they can teach their daughters to play less with dolls and play more with balls, so title IX will become less important and less costly. And finally, girl sports are fun to watch, just as much as boy sports. But as a nation we need to learn more about them, so title IX makes us learn that. And if title IX is a mistake, at least it is a mistake with the best intentions. We all make mistakes. I rather make this kind of mistake then a greedy mistake.

Girl sports are fun to watch? As fun as boys sports? Clearly you don't watch much of sports.

Look, I'm all for equality of opportunity, but it's no victory if you aid the obesity problem among one gender by doubly exaserbating it among the other.

il Padrino Ute 05-10-2007 05:08 AM

Quote:

It may surprise some, but boys and girls are different, and in more ways than three. For starters, boys exercise more than girls, who for various reasons, play with dolls too much. I think it is mostly social, which is why title IX is really good for girls. Helps them to consider choices that society might not make so obvious. There are more important things than making the most money for sports. I don't think equality of opportunity is such a bad value to have, especially if it makes fit looking women the norm and solves some of the obesity in our nation's women. Plus when these women become mothers, they can teach their daughters to play less with dolls and play more with balls, so title IX will become less important and less costly. And finally, girl sports are fun to watch, just as much as boy sports. But as a nation we need to learn more about them, so title IX makes us learn that. And if title IX is a mistake, at least it is a mistake with the best intentions. We all make mistakes. I rather make this kind of mistake then a greedy mistake.

It may surprise you, but women's athletics are nothing but a financial black hole. This is an article from 5 years ago, but it proves just that:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...5/ai_n10837045

il Padrino Ute 05-10-2007 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkBritches (Post 80374)
It may be a costly mistake. Some investment end up that way. It may also be the next Google. There are way worse ways to gamble your money than building up women's sports. At least at the end of the gamble you have something to show for it. A mature women's sports program. Women are getting more power. In colleges right now, the numbers of women compared to men are increasing at an alarming rate. Pretty soon women will be everywhere, and we will be glad to have a good sports program for them, and they will make money. That is just my prediction, but the trajectory is going in that direction.

No, you're wrong. Women's sports will always be a complete waste of money. And college men will always suffer because of it as well.

Title IX started out with the right idea, but when it comes to sports, it's time to get rid of it.

All-American 05-10-2007 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkBritches (Post 80380)
interesting article. I guess we can think of women's sports in a few different ways. It is an undertapped market that will swell with the growing number of women in college and professions. It is therefore an investment, that may lose money now, but will probably make a lot of money in the near future. So it is an entrepreneurial enterprise. If it never pays off, it still is a win, because of what it does for women. And if it does become financially good, then I won't be surprised.

"What it does for women" comes at the expense of men's sports, which bear a cost that is greater than the benefit to the women. That is NOT equality. What's more, it is choking off the source of its own support, effectively engaging in cannibalism.

il Padrino Ute 05-10-2007 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkBritches (Post 80397)
This is not a zero sum game.

Actually, it is. Equality is when everything balances.

All-American 05-10-2007 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 80401)
Actually, it is. Equality is when everything balances.

But even if you don't accept that premise, what do you suppose provides and pays for the opportunities for women via sports programs? It is the funding derived from men's sports. Many universities find themselves forced to drop revenue-earning men's sports under pressure from various sources, of which Title IX is not insignificant.

A healthy men's sports program enables a healthy women's sports program.

All-American 05-10-2007 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkBritches (Post 80406)
But we are also talking about long term economic momentum. You can't look at the current state of things and say that it will always be that way.

And it just makes sense that the way to make the most money is to have a lot of successful programs in both men's and women's athletics.

The way to make the most money at any given moment is not necessarily the very best way to wring the most money out of the system. Like the increase of volume in trading on the stock market. We should build up women's sports as a growing market. We should be entrepreneurs. It isn't so often that we can be entrepreneurs in an area where we can also be making a good choice for our daughters and their daughters and their daughters' daughters. But the future will be better for all because of Title IX, even if a few mens' programs suffer in the present.

And if I am wrong, so what? We will have tried for a better future and lost out. But if you never try for a better future, then you will never have a better future. Just more of the same.

Here's the problem: if "a few men's programs suffer in the present," they don't generate revenue for the women. The majority of the casualties amongst men's programs have been non-revenue sports, but not always is it so. The lifeblood of women's sports is dollars generated from men's sports. If you hurt men's sports, women's sports will be worse off in the long run.

il Padrino Ute 05-10-2007 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All-American (Post 80405)
But even if you don't accept that premise, what do you suppose provides and pays for the opportunities for women via sports programs? It is the funding derived from men's sports. Many universities find themselves forced to drop revenue-earning men's sports under pressure from various sources, of which Title IX is not insignificant.

A healthy men's sports program enables a healthy women's sports program.

Agreed. Without mens sports, there would be no womens sports.

Title IX needs to be amended by removing collegiate athletics from under it's control.

il Padrino Ute 05-10-2007 06:43 AM

Quote:

But we are also talking about long term economic momentum. You can't look at the current state of things and say that it will always be that way.

And it just makes sense that the way to make the most money is to have a lot of successful programs in both men's and women's athletics.

The way to make the most money at any given moment is not necessarily the very best way to wring the most money out of the system. Like the increase of volume in trading on the stock market. We should build up women's sports as a growing market. We should be entrepreneurs. It isn't so often that we can be entrepreneurs in an area where we can also be making a good choice for our daughters and their daughters and their daughters' daughters. But the future will be better for all because of Title IX, even if a few mens' programs suffer in the present.

And if I am wrong, so what? We will have tried for a better future and lost out. But if you never try for a better future, then you will never have a better future. Just more of the same.

Women's athletics will never make money. It never has. The only way I would ever attend any kind of women's collegiate athletic event is if one of my daughters was participating.

In the stock market, a wise investor dumps the stocks that are decreasing his portfolio.

il Padrino Ute 05-10-2007 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkBritches (Post 80413)
Maybe the value of Title IX can be figure out if you answer this question=> What is the purpose of sports as part of the university's larger mission?

The purpose of sports in the larger mission?

It's all about the money. Money generated from mens sports go to the university and is used to help fund other sports programs and also to help funding for academic areas on campus. College sports is a huge business and womens sports are a debit.

And it provides women an opportunity to participate on a collegiate level that wasn't there to begin with.

Now answer this: How about addressing the original point of this thread? Why is it forced upon mens programs when there is not as much interest in the participation on the womens' part? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on that and explain why it's still a good idea.

All-American 05-10-2007 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkBritches (Post 80413)
Maybe the value of Title IX can be figure out if you answer this question=> What is the purpose of sports as part of the university's larger mission?

Three big ones:

1. It allows for students to participate as athletes.
2. It enables students to go to college, through scholarships which provide opportunities that may not have otherwise been available.
3. It contributes to a college atmosphere by contributing to a fundamental aspect of American culture.

Title IX definitely opens the doors for many women, per factors 1 and 2. I question whether the costs to men are presently worth the benefits being given to women. That's not to say that Title IX has not done a lot of good. I don't think the idea should be altogether discarded, but it should be modified to provide a greater benefit to both men and women.

minn_stat 05-10-2007 11:10 AM

Quote:

Let's just for a moment assume everything you say is true.

Why is coercion needed to enforce it then?

Black Diamond Bay 05-10-2007 07:01 PM

Quote:

The only women's athletic programs in the nation that aren't sucking away funds from their athletic deparments are marketing directly to the lesbian populations in the area. Bottom line, women do not share the same interest as men in sports, and they cannot physically perform at the same level as men in sports. Therefore, women's sports can't draw an audience that will support the cost, without marketing thems as a sexual commodity. I don't see that as an improvement.

Title IX has not caused "a few mens' programs [to] suffer in the present." It has made some men's programs completely obsolete.

Title IX defies the basic laws of supply and demand, and flies in the face of all logic. IMO there is not ONE VALID REASON for limiting funds for a profit producing sport to feed funds into a program that actually costs money to operate.

If women want to have equal funding for athletics then they need to be able to put on a performance that brings in a profit. Otherwise we're looking at an attitude of: "I want what I didn't earn, what I can't produce on my own, and I'm going to take it, regardless of the harm that may be inflicted on others, because I think it's not fair that I don't have EXACTLY as much as someone else." If they had required at least 15%, even 25% of funds to go to women's programs that would have been more palatable but HALF? HALF of the money to programs that can't produce EVEN ONE CENT IN PROFIT? That's what I call greed, and coveting.