cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Don Imus and Rutgers W basketball (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7568)

SeattleUte 04-10-2007 06:03 PM

Don Imus and Rutgers W basketball

If I was Imus' employer I'd fire him and participate in his disgracing; he's an ignoramous. Moreover, his grovelling is unseemly. He's not such a tough guy anymore, is he?

But have you ever seen such a lack of proportion between the attention the press gives a story and the level of public interest?

Also, I don't like Sharpton talking about federal regulation of broadcast programming. The feds should stay out of this. It shouldn't be regulated in the first place.

Brian 04-10-2007 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 72022)
If I was Imus' employer I'd fire him and participate in his disgracing; he's an ignoramous. Moreover, his grovelling is unseemly. He's not such a tough guy anymore, is he?

But have you ever seen such a lack of proportion between the attention the press gives a story and the level of public interest?

Also, I don't like Sharpton talking about federal regulation of broadcast programming. The feds should stay out of this. It shouldn't be regulated in the first place.

I enjoy Imus. His show is pretty funny and he has fantastic guests.
Oddly, I'm not sure why he hasn't gotten into trouble in the past. He is constantly making fun of groups/people.
I wouldn't fire him. This will blow over and he makes his employer a ton of money.

myboynoah 04-10-2007 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian (Post 72025)
I enjoy Imus. His show is pretty funny and he has fantastic guests.
Oddly, I'm not sure why he hasn't gotten into trouble in the past. He is constantly making fun of groups/people.
I wouldn't fire him. This will blow over and he makes his employer a ton of money.

I agree with Brian on this one. This makes me 4 for 7.

MikeWaters 04-10-2007 06:52 PM

I would make him go into rehab for 3 weeks, so that his heart can heal.

Then I would make him promise to be nice.

And then I would let him do whatever the hell he wants.

YOhio 04-10-2007 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 72032)
I would make him go into rehab for 3 weeks, so that his heart can heal.

Then I would make him promise to be nice.

And then I would let him do whatever the hell he wants.

I prefer your crucifixion idea.

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=2610456

SteelBlue 04-10-2007 07:20 PM

I'm not convinced that Imus is actually a living being. I caught a glimpse of him on tv yesterday and he looked very much like a corpse. I think perhaps there is some Weekend at Bernie's magic going on here.

SeattleUte 04-10-2007 07:30 PM

He should go to the gallows with dignity. I hate this grovelling. Like Brian said, he says stuff like this all the time. Why is this different? Because he's facing the hangman's noose. He's a pus-- never mind. He should stand up for his bliefs, and take his punishment with joy, like Socrates. Besides, now he can probably go to one of those shock networks and made three times as much.

The NY Times has been running a veritable slide show and stream of news reporting on this. New story with new picture every 30 minutes or so. Right now it's the Rutgers coach castigating him. It's like the president was assasinated. Do people really care this much?

RockyBalboa 04-10-2007 07:42 PM

I would think that since this site is ALL about discussion...even if it's an insensitive or uncomfortable topic that firing is the last thing that should happen, in fact it's an opportunity for more discussion on the topic.

And this is coming from a conservative mullah. ;)

I'm not an Imus fan, never have been. I rarely agree with his politics.

I know he does good things with his ranch in New Mexico for kids with cancer and that's to be commendable.

SeattleUte 04-10-2007 09:32 PM

This has turned into a full blown soap opera. NY Times and ESPN are running pictures of the players looking like sweet, air brushed prom queens all in a row. The inset of Imus on ESPN's cover looks like an aged Nazi war criminal.

Brian 04-10-2007 10:25 PM

Yawn.
Wake me when this is over so I can continue to enjoy him on my commute to work.
I hope Bernard can eventually return to full form. I hope they don't drop the Cardinal O'Connor bit.
Maybe it will turn into "Mornings with Donny and Charlie" and I'll have to listen to my Liberace 8-tracks.
The one thing that sucks about my 8 minute commute is that it provides very little Imus time. That was the one good thing about my 45 minute morning drive on Atlanta highways.

SeattleUte 04-10-2007 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian (Post 72112)
Yawn.
Wake me when this is over so I can continue to enjoy him on my commute to work.
I hope Bernard can eventually return to full form. I hope they don't drop the Cardinal O'Connor bit.
Maybe it will turn into "Mornings with Donny and Charlie" and I'll have to listen to my Liberace 8-tracks.
The one thing that sucks about my 8 minute commute is that it provides very little Imus time. That was the one good thing about my 45 minute morning drive on Atlanta highways.

Brian, be careful. Defending him could ruin your life. Do you see anyone else doing it? He's the plague.

I've decided the current soap opera in the press is just the means to slowly and agonizingly executing him inch by inch. Waters got it right. It's a ceremonial blood letting.

MikeWaters 04-11-2007 02:09 AM

Here's a Slate piece on him:
http://www.slate.com/id/2163872/?nav=fix

They go through a list of quotes where he takes on Jews, blacks, Asians, Native Americans, etc.

Sarah Silverman, Chris Rock etc. have long relied on shock.

We like our politically incorrect curmudgeons. I don't listen to them too often, but it's not like I'm going to stop because limp-wristers like SU say I shouldn't.

I'll be damned if SU doesn't turn into the meanest old man anyone has ever met when he is 80. He'll be cussing the nurses.

Sometimes I imagine that beneath all that indignation about womens' rights, and mutterings about tuna technique, that there is a real man.

UtahDan 04-11-2007 02:17 AM

1. What Imus said was absurd.

2. His public crucifixtion at the hands of the likes of Al Sharpton is absurd.

3. Imus has chosen then public beating.

I would have more respect for him if he wasn't doing the apology circuit because it couldn't be any more clear based on his history that he is sorry because he "got caught." Why on earth would anyone care about repeated insincere apologies that are are little more than an opportunity for the professional victims to justify their existence.

If he wants to meet with the team privately (which I guess he is) then fine. That is between them and him and they are entitled to respond to him if that is their desire.

il Padrino Ute 04-11-2007 02:26 AM

We here in Zion are protected. We don't have to worry about what Imus says, as he isn't on the air.

At least not that I know of.

MikeWaters 04-11-2007 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 72173)
We here in Zion are protected. We don't have to worry about what Imus says, as he isn't on the air.

At least not that I know of.

He's on TV. MSNBC.

Solon 04-11-2007 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 72085)
This has turned into a full blown soap opera. NY Times and ESPN are running pictures of the players looking like sweet, air brushed prom queens all in a row. The inset of Imus on ESPN's cover looks like an aged Nazi war criminal.

My theory is that the competing News programs/networks want to stick it to MSNBC. Nothing like reporting AND making your competitor look bad. Several birds with one lame stone.

il Padrino Ute 04-11-2007 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 72174)
He's on TV. MSNBC.

Ok. I don't watch MSNBC. I usually watch Cartoon Network or Boomerang.

myboynoah 04-11-2007 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UtahDan (Post 72169)
1. What Imus said was absurd.

2. His public crucifixtion at the hands of the likes of Al Sharpton is absurd.

3. Imus has chosen then public beating.

I would have more respect for him if he wasn't doing the apology circuit because it couldn't be any more clear based on his history that he is sorry because he "got caught." Why on earth would anyone care about repeated insincere apologies that are are little more than an opportunity for the professional victims to justify their existence.

If he wants to meet with the team privately (which I guess he is) then fine. That is between them and him and they are entitled to respond to him if that is their desire.

Which speaks to the genius that is Imus. What better way to garner support and rally the troops than to make Al Sharpton your confessor, especially when, on cue, Reverend Al calls for you to be fired.

Imus is a genius.

MikeWaters 04-11-2007 12:13 PM

The most disturbing aspect of this entire affair is why the heck were Bernard and Imus watching the game anyway?

Wasn't there an informercial on somewhere? Maybe a special on some serial killer on MSNBC? Or Nancy Grace yelling at some rape victim?

Of all the options........that's the saddest part of this.

SeattleUte 04-11-2007 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 72166)
Here's a Slate piece on him:
http://www.slate.com/id/2163872/?nav=fix

They go through a list of quotes where he takes on Jews, blacks, Asians, Native Americans, etc.

Sarah Silverman, Chris Rock etc. have long relied on shock.

We like our politically incorrect curmudgeons. I don't listen to them too often, but it's not like I'm going to stop because limp-wristers like SU say I shouldn't.

I'll be damned if SU doesn't turn into the meanest old man anyone has ever met when he is 80. He'll be cussing the nurses.

Sometimes I imagine that beneath all that indignation about womens' rights, and mutterings about tuna technique, that there is a real man.

My only point is women should be similarly protected. I'm gallant, chivalrous at heart; my defining virtue. The thing I didn't like about Majerus is he used the C word all the time. How long could he have used an analogous pajorative for blacks and kept his job?

MikeWaters 04-11-2007 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 72237)
My only point is women should be similarly protected. I'm gallant, chivalrous at heart; my defining virtue. The thing I didn't like about Majerus is he used the C word all the time. How long could he have used an analogous pajorative for blacks and kept his job?

In med school I was once listening to a Grand Rounds by a surgeon. At one point he referred to his colleague "Dr. Cunt". Up on the powerpoint it said "Dr. Hunt." I looked around to see if I had just had an auditory hallucination. Didn't see a reaction. but later I talked to some guys, and yes he had said "Dr. Cunt".

I guess that was his private nickname for her. Who knows. Bad place to make a slip.

RockyBalboa 04-11-2007 02:39 PM

Should we advocate censorship by firing?

Discuss.

MikeWaters 04-11-2007 02:40 PM

If he is fired, I have no problem with that.

I'm more offended by people that listened to him prior to nappy-gate and all of the sudden decided that he is morally repugnant.

SeattleUte 04-11-2007 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyBalboa (Post 72255)
Should we advocate censorship by firing?

Discuss.

I don't think Baylor Med. is a public institution. "Censorship" has no meaning in contexts of private institutions.

MSNBC is also private. We should condemn racism with our own speech, by firing, etc. There's no reason private property interests and free speech of offended people should be limited to protect speech of bigots and racists. Don't be ridiculous.

Just as some of us don't tolerate it here.

SeattleUte 04-11-2007 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 72239)
In med school I was once listening to a Grand Rounds by a surgeon. At one point he referred to his colleague "Dr. Cunt". Up on the powerpoint it said "Dr. Hunt." I looked around to see if I had just had an auditory hallucination. Didn't see a reaction. but later I talked to some guys, and yes he had said "Dr. Cunt".

I guess that was his private nickname for her. Who knows. Bad place to make a slip.

I don't like that word. It's a bad word.

SeattleUte 04-11-2007 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 72257)
If he is fired, I have no problem with that.

I'm more offended by people that listened to him prior to nappy-gate and all of the sudden decided that he is morally repugnant.

I'm pristine. Never listened to him.

MikeWaters 04-11-2007 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 72260)
I don't like that word. It's a bad word.

who does? do you imagine that this puts you in a unique category?

RockyBalboa 04-11-2007 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 72259)
I don't think Baylor Med. is a public institution. "Censorship" has no meaning in contexts of private institutions.

MSNBC is also private. We should condemn racism with our own speech, by firing, etc. There's no reason private property interests and free speech of offended people should be limited to protect speech of bigots and racists. Don't be ridiculous.

Just as some of us don't tolerate it here.

What he said should not be condoned and I don't condone it,,,at the same it seems like an opportunity for progression through discussion and understanding on a number of uncomfortable topics.

SeattleUte 04-11-2007 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 72263)
who does? do you imagine that this puts you in a unique category?

I guess if everyone felt like we do there wouldn't be any "shock jocks." We already know that there are lines they can't cross vis-a-vis race and ethnicity.