cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cycling (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   My last 6 cycling wokouts (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6861)

bluegoose 03-02-2007 08:02 PM

My last 6 cycling wokouts

45 minutes on the trainer.

60 minutes on the trainer.

30 minutes on the trainer.

The weather has actually been okay here. But those rainstorms we have been getting have been strategically placed on any saturday morning or afternoon that I have available. Needless to say, I'm getting a little spring fever.

Archaea 03-02-2007 08:06 PM

A little trainer envy?

Mine are three hours along the lake.

Four hours along the lake.

Two hours of hill repeats.

Thirty minutes of sprint intervals.

One and one half hours on the trainer.

And a nice two and one half hour ride to BC.

But I can't get in shape, it sucks.

What are you doing to get high end power? I guess I need to go on more group rides, but we tri guys like doing it alone.

bigpiney 03-02-2007 09:41 PM

well my last six cycling workouts takes me back to September, so there.

I am going out this afternoon and will climb 2000 feet if that makes any difference.

Archaea 03-02-2007 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigpiney (Post 63753)
well my last six cycling workouts takes me back to September, so there.

I am going out this afternoon and will climb 2000 feet if that makes any difference.

I'm jealous, I love climbing workouts. We have a little fifty miler with 3800 feet of climbing. Come out and visit and I'll gladly let you shirpa me around.

bigpiney 03-02-2007 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 63759)
I'm jealous, I love climbing workouts. We have a little fifty miler with 3800 feet of climbing. Come out and visit and I'll gladly let you shirpa me around.

I am not a good climber but is one of the options from riding from my house. I either head up into the Inyo / White Mountains or up into the Sierra. Today I will probably head out towards Death Valley up in the Inyos and see how long it stays light. In that direction I have to ride 3.5 miles of flat and then up, but at least I get the sun longer before it sets over the 14000 ft peaks. Just hope the wind quiets down a bit.

And I will stop climbing after about 2000 feet because I am a wimp and don't want to do the additional 2500 or more it would take to get to the top of that one road.

Archaea 03-02-2007 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigpiney (Post 63761)
I am not a good climber but is one of the options from riding from my house. I either head up into the Inyo / White Mountains or up into the Sierra. Today I will probably head out towards Death Valley up in the Inyos and see how long it stays light. In that direction I have to ride 3.5 miles of flat and then up, but at least I get the sun longer before it sets over the 14000 ft peaks. Just hope the wind quiets down a bit.

And I will stop climbing after about 2000 feet because I am a wimp and don't want to do the additional 2500 or more it would take to get to the top of that one road.

You are not a wimp, as you and Bluegoose are climbers extraordinaire.

BarbaraGordon 03-03-2007 12:18 AM

I just realized I'm hijacking, but should I get aerobars? The bike shop said not to bother because I'm not elite (which is an understatement of gross proportions) but I'm just fundamentally more comfortable with the aerobar position.

creekster 03-03-2007 12:19 AM

The only climbing I do these days is to reach the candy bars my wife tries to hide at the top of the cupboard.

I wish this was a joke.

creekster 03-03-2007 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 63791)
I just realized I'm hijacking, but should I get aerobars? The bike shop said not to bother because I'm not elite (which is an understatement of gross proportions) but I'm just fundamentally more comfortable with the aerobar position.

Here is the rule to follow: If you are more comfortable, and thus it makes it more likely you will ride more and for longer periods, and it doesn't damage your knees, then get it.

bluegoose 03-03-2007 02:37 AM

I used aero bars for one season when I did a couple of triathlons and they are definitely an aquired taste. Initially very hard on my back and neck, but actually quite comfortable at the end of the season.

I say go for it if you are comfortable with it.

The only question I would have is do you have a safe place to use them?

Archaea 03-03-2007 03:41 AM

For Barbara.

Now a different perspective.

Aero bars are for certain purposes.

First, if you plan on timetrialing, you must have a TT bike, which more than just clip on aeros.

If you only have one bike for triathlons, then clip ons will do.

Second, I know a national class ultracyclist (he holds the South to North record in Nevada) who rides a Softride in aero position.

Unless you go with a configuration such as a Softride, then most people don't use aero except for triathloning or timetrialing. In group rides or in road races, you're really not allowed to use aero bars. They can hurt others when you crash.

BarbaraGordon 03-03-2007 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 63838)
then most people don't use aero except for triathloning or timetrialing.

I'm not a real cyclist. I only ride when participating in the tris or training for the tris.

BarbaraGordon 03-03-2007 04:25 AM

On the thread title, I'm wondering what a wokout is? Is that like when you have a stirfry cookout?

Archaea 03-03-2007 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 63841)
I'm not a real cyclist. I only ride when participating in the tris or training for the tris.

Then aeros would be appropriate.

bigpiney 03-03-2007 02:49 PM

Well, I got started a bit later than I had hoped. So I made sure to get done befroe it got dark. I climbed for 45 minutes, not sure much elevation I gained, I will try and figure it out later, but it only took be 12 minutes to descend and get home once I turned around. Oh so slow.

RC Vikings 03-04-2007 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluegoose (Post 63711)

30 minutes on the trainer.

The weather has actually been okay here. But those rainstorms we have been getting have been strategically placed on any saturday morning or afternoon that I have available. Needless to say, I'm getting a little spring fever.

Move to Rexburg and this is all you can do in the winter. By the time spring rolls around I'm so sick of riding inside that I'll go outside in about any weather.

il Padrino Ute 03-04-2007 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RC Vikings (Post 63974)
Move to Rexburg and this is all you can do in the winter. By the time spring rolls around I'm so sick of riding inside that I'll go outside in about any weather.

So, don't move to Rexburg. Problem solved. :)

Archaea 03-04-2007 10:46 PM

Well, this week I had some fun workouts, but not enough.

Since nobody cares about swimming and cycling, I'll defer to cycling.

As a triathlete, most cycling is spent in comfort zones, pushing alone, but trying to avoid red zones to save for the run. It hampers you for cycling races, as one is not well-fit for surges involved in pure cycling. Recognizing my unreasonable desire to be competent in triathloning and cycling I'm trying to modify training. I type this for those who also do it to pipe in with advice and for those interested in the differences of triathloning and cycling.

This week following other workouts, I did a twenty minute bike sprint workout, (10 150 meter sprints with small warm up and rest in between).

I did an hour spinning on trainer with fifteen minutes before and after which created a Transition run. The trainer session had intervals.

Friday was a two and one half tempo ride in cold and wind.

Sunday (we had Stake Conference or Mormon Holiday) involved group ride along lake with jumps and attacks on every roller. At first I was riding like a triathlete, getting left like the triguys, but by end I was with one of the stronger rider, albeit a masters guy but you get the point.

RC Vikings 03-04-2007 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 63977)
So, don't move to Rexburg. Problem solved. :)

It's nice in summer. We had a real good rider from SLC join us on our group ride this summer and he kept commenting on how quiet the roads were. A Sunday morning ride in the middle of summer around Rexburg is tough to beat.

BarbaraGordon 03-04-2007 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 63978)
Well, this week I had some fun workouts, but not enough.

If you need more time to workout, I highly recommend unemployment.