cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Ok, it's official. Bushman biog of Joseph Smith is the BOTB (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=496)

MikeWaters 10-13-2005 05:05 AM

Ok, it's official. Bushman biog of Joseph Smith is the BOTB

BOTB = book of the bi-month.

By going to by the byline above and clicking on "books" and then clicking through the picture of the book ("rough stone rolling") you generate funds that will one day expand the functionality of this site.....

ute4ever 10-13-2005 07:55 PM

What do you mean by "magical aspects?"

Parrot Head 10-13-2005 09:06 PM

Joseph had a younger brother named Gob that was an aspiring magician. Sort of an odd fellow. And his magic wasn't very good.

Dan 10-13-2005 09:31 PM

How does it compare to ...

... Quinn's "Mormonism and the Magic World View"? Maybe I ought to just crack open my copy that is just sitting on my shelf and read it. Time always seems to be of the essence these days for me, sadly.

UtahDan 10-13-2005 10:20 PM

LMAO

at the Gob reference. Which one of you is Hermano?

Parrot Head 10-13-2005 11:32 PM

Re: LMAO

Quote:

Originally Posted by UtahDan
at the Gob reference. Which one of you is Hermano?

No Hermano here, they call me Annyong.

MikeWaters 10-14-2005 05:32 AM

Just put in the order from Amazon tonight.

MikeWaters 10-23-2005 03:14 AM

I'm 20 pages into the book. First impression: good writing, going to be a fairly quick read.

cougarstolz 11-30-2005 06:03 PM

he also had a brother who lost his hand to a seal

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parrot Head
Joseph had a younger brother named Gob that was an aspiring magician. Sort of an odd fellow. And his magic wasn't very good.

realtall 12-01-2005 05:48 AM

Re: he also had a brother who lost his hand to a seal

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougarstolz
he also had a brother who lost his hand to a seal

Lost his hand to a seal? As in an ocean dwelling mammal?

Iceman 03-07-2006 06:40 PM

Great Book

I am about 3/4 done with this book and it is a great insight into the Prophet's life and the experiences that created the Man. I am not a big church historian, although I do enjoy it, so much of the things wrote about in this book were new to me, but increased my understanding of Joseph Smith immensely. So many of us revere him as almost a God on earth, when in reality, he was just a man who became a great man, but not before a learning curve. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would definately recommend it.

Big Daddy D 03-14-2006 10:30 PM

Re: And Next???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam
I am through chapter 3 of the JS bio. So far so good--great background on the magical aspects of the Smith family.

I nominate for our next book "Adventures of a Church Historian" by Leonard Arrington.

FYI: Goatnapper is Arrington's grandson. His cousin is a neighbor of mine.. what a phenomenal family lineage.

Cali Coug 06-05-2006 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman
I am about 3/4 done with this book and it is a great insight into the Prophet's life and the experiences that created the Man. I am not a big church historian, although I do enjoy it, so much of the things wrote about in this book were new to me, but increased my understanding of Joseph Smith immensely. So many of us revere him as almost a God on earth, when in reality, he was just a man who became a great man, but not before a learning curve. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would definately recommend it.

I don't know why, but I am having a hard time getting through this one. It feels very slow moving to me. I have learned a lot, though, about Joseph Smith. The book is very informational, just a bit tedious.

bluegoose 08-24-2006 12:38 AM

Has Bushman been the BOTBM long enough now?

I'm looking into getting a new church book and am open to any recommendations.

Archaea 08-28-2006 11:27 PM

27. Rodney Stark. Christianizing the Urban Empire: A New Approach to Early Church History. In preparation. 26. Victories of Reason: How Christianity, Freedom, and Capitalism Led to Western Success. New York: Random House. In Press. 25. The Rise of a New World Faith: Rodney Stark on Mormonism. Edited by Reid L. Neilson. University of Illinois Press. In Press.
Three nominations for the new book of the month. I guess the first is disqualified unless somebody can obtain an advanced copy. Number 25 might be worth the read.

MikeWaters 09-30-2006 10:20 PM

Bushman's job is to tell the truth, as best he can. If he did that, then he shouldn't feel bad about anything.

Archaea 10-01-2006 02:30 AM

If one tells the truth and undermines in the process something one finds valuable, I can understand why he might have some regrets.

MikeWaters 10-01-2006 02:34 AM

if you are scared of the truth, you shouldn't be in the business of history.

perhaps he regrets every having chosen Mormon history. I don't blame him.

But I have little sympathy if he wishes he had produced apologia.

Archaea 10-01-2006 02:50 AM

Here's a challenge as you are still young: do something correct that still injures somebody.

A police officer may have to kill a citizen to execute his duty, but he will still feel badly about the death of the decedent.

A historian may write a necessary history, cause, inadvertently, some to lose their way, and still feel badly about that result.

We didn't exactly hear the speech, so we don't know how it was phrased. I have done many things which were necessary but still caused me sadness.

Jeff Lebowski 10-01-2006 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 38543)
I was recently at a meeting with Joe Bentley, editor of Vol. 3 of the new Jos. Smith books being financed by Larry Miller (on early legal documents), where Bentley said that Bushman, while standing by every fact in his book, was sad that so many focused on the Prophet's failings and have been led astray by them. Apparently, many people have lost their testimonies over the book.

Bushman was writing mainly to a scholarly audience and left out many faithful interpretations and explainations for some of the sticky facts. If he were to redo the book, he would put in many of those faithful explainations to bolster faith. It appears that he is somewhat regretful of the impact of the book. Interesting.

Hmmm... So this is third hand at this point? Color me skeptical.

Cali Coug 10-01-2006 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 38577)
Hmmm... So this is third hand at this point? Color me skeptical.

Count me as a skeptic too.

I heard him speak about his book first person. He most certainly did not say anything about regrets (and this was only about 4 months ago).

Jeff Lebowski 10-01-2006 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 38613)
Joe Bentley is a retired partner at Latham & Watkins. He lives in Newport Beach and was the Temple Cmttee Chair down there (temple paid for entirely by the local members). He was speaking at the J. Reuben Clark Law Society leadership meetings on Thurs and Fri (he is the current International Chair of the Law Society). As previously stated, Joe is editing what will be Vol. 3 of the Joseph Smith papers which will be legal documents relating to Joseph Smith's trials in NY and Ohio. Bushman is heading up the entire project.

I obviously didn't speak to Bushman, but Joe does weekly. And of course Joe wouldn't make something like that up.

Sure he wouldn't, but in the telling and retelling of the discussion, the facts and original intent can get shifted around. As a matter of principle I take all such comments (retelling of second-hand conversations) with a grain of salt. No offense.

aaronshaf 01-12-2007 02:21 AM

"You seminary teachers and some of you institute and BYU men will be teaching the history of the Church this school year. This is an unparalleled opportunity in the lives of your students to increase their faith and testimony of the divinity of this work. Your objective should be that they will see the hand of the Lord in every hour and every moment of the Church from its beginning till now... Church history can be so interesting and so inspiring as to be a very powerful tool indeed for building faith. If not properly written or properly taught, it may be a faith destroyer... There is a temptation for the writer or the teacher of Church history to want to tell everything, whether it is worthy or faith promoting or not... Some things that are true are not very useful... That historian or scholar who delights in pointing out the weaknesses and frailties of present or past leaders destroys faith. A destroyer of faith — particularly one within the Church, and more particularly one who is employed specifically to build faith — places himself in great spiritual jeopardy. He is serving the wrong master, and unless he repents, he will not be among the faithful in the eternities. ... Do not spread disease germs!" - Boyd K. Packer

"It is one thing to depreciate a person who exercises corporate power or even government power. It is quite another thing to criticize or depreciate a person for the performance of an office to which he or she has been called of God. It does not matter that the criticism is true. As Elder George F. Richards, President of the Council of the Twelve, said in a conference address in April 1947, 'when we say anything bad about the leaders of the Church, whether true or false, we tend to impair their influence and their usefulness and are thus working against the Lord and his cause.' ... The Holy Ghost will not guide or confirm criticism of the Lord's anointed, or of Church leaders, local or general. This reality should be part of the spiritual evaluation that LDS readers and viewers apply to those things written about our history and those who made it." - Dallin H. Oaks

SteelBlue 01-12-2007 02:28 AM

You clearly haven't spent much time around here shaft.

il Padrino Ute 01-12-2007 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaronshaf (Post 53323)
"You seminary teachers and some of you institute and BYU men will be teaching the history of the Church this school year. This is an unparalleled opportunity in the lives of your students to increase their faith and testimony of the divinity of this work. Your objective should be that they will see the hand of the Lord in every hour and every moment of the Church from its beginning till now... Church history can be so interesting and so inspiring as to be a very powerful tool indeed for building faith. If not properly written or properly taught, it may be a faith destroyer... There is a temptation for the writer or the teacher of Church history to want to tell everything, whether it is worthy or faith promoting or not... Some things that are true are not very useful... That historian or scholar who delights in pointing out the weaknesses and frailties of present or past leaders destroys faith. A destroyer of faith — particularly one within the Church, and more particularly one who is employed specifically to build faith — places himself in great spiritual jeopardy. He is serving the wrong master, and unless he repents, he will not be among the faithful in the eternities. ... Do not spread disease germs!" - Boyd K. Packer

"It is one thing to depreciate a person who exercises corporate power or even government power. It is quite another thing to criticize or depreciate a person for the performance of an office to which he or she has been called of God. It does not matter that the criticism is true. As Elder George F. Richards, President of the Council of the Twelve, said in a conference address in April 1947, 'when we say anything bad about the leaders of the Church, whether true or false, we tend to impair their influence and their usefulness and are thus working against the Lord and his cause.' ... The Holy Ghost will not guide or confirm criticism of the Lord's anointed, or of Church leaders, local or general. This reality should be part of the spiritual evaluation that LDS readers and viewers apply to those things written about our history and those who made it." - Dallin H. Oaks

Ummmm, ok.

MikeWaters 01-12-2007 02:48 AM

If the quote isn't from BRM, we don't take it seriously.

YOhio 01-12-2007 03:19 AM

Interesting quite from Packer. I also thought it was interesting that Bushman sought a blessing from Elder Packer prior to writing RSR.

Bushman records, “I sought a blessing from Elder Packer before getting started, and insofar as I was worthy, I think the blessing was fufilled.”

http://www.timesandseasons.org/?p=3662

Bushman also notes that Elder Holland sent him a letter praising the book.

He recently published a very-limited edition diary of his promotional tour of RSR. It looks like a terrific read, but it's not yet widely available. Dennis Lythgoe had a good review of the diary last Sunday.

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,650220569,00.html

Jeff Lebowski 01-12-2007 03:19 AM

Hey Aaron,

When are you going to stop the cutting and pasting and actually use some of your own thoughts/words? I am genuinely curious.

Thanks in advance.

bluegoose 01-12-2007 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 53340)
Hey Aaron,

When are you going to stop the cutting and pasting and actually use some of your own thoughts/words? I am genuinely curious.

Thanks in advance.

Agreed.

Meaningful diagolue would go much further than posting marginally relevant quotes without proper context or referencing.

jay santos 01-12-2007 03:25 AM

Quote:

Hey Aaron,

Thanks in advance.

Yeah no kidding. We have a world famous anti-Mormon in our midst. Tell us about yourself AShaf.

YOhio 01-12-2007 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluegoose (Post 53342)
Agreed.

Meaningful diagolue would go much further than posting marginally relevant quotes without proper context or referencing.

Meaningful dialogue? What does that have to do with discussing religion?

bluegoose 01-12-2007 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 53348)
Meaningful dialogue? What does that have to do with discussing religion?

Good point.

In that case, at least spit out some serious venom against the church instead of this weak sauce CES stuff.

myboynoah 01-12-2007 07:02 AM

Quote:

Hey Aaron,

Thanks in advance.

I agree also. This here and there isn't very productive.

C'mon Aaron, share with us what you believe and why you believe it. You've obviously made great sacrifices to be where you are and spend a lot of time in your missionary efforts.

But I don't want any of this "Joe Smith married women who were already married" or "Joe Smith was a money digger" or "Brigham Young was a racist." If you review the religion threads you'll see we've discussed this all ad nauseum.

I may be mistaken, but I think you're the first real "Evangelical" to grace us with his/her presence, so I'm curious about your view of The Gospel as taught by The Savior. What do you believe constitutes Christianity and why do you believe that?

Don't shy away from the opportunity.