cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Is the Earth 6,000 years old? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25827)

MikeWaters 04-13-2009 03:44 PM

Is the Earth 6,000 years old?

Is there anyone here, besides I imagine Tooblue, who believes this?

tooblue 04-13-2009 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 303495)
Is there anyone here, besides I imagine Tooblue, who believes this?

lol you're almost as big a moron as SU. By the way when have I stated I believe the earth is 6,000 year old? Link please.

MikeWaters 04-13-2009 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooblue (Post 303507)
lol you're almost as big a moron as SU. By the way when have I stated I believe the earth is 6,000 year old? Link please.

where have you refuted a belief in this?

tooblue 04-13-2009 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 303508)
where have you refuted a belief in this?

Since you're so well read why don't you also check out the works of: William Lee Stokes.

I asked for a link first. It's courtesy to provide it unless you just want to admit to being an ignoramus now.

Venkman 04-13-2009 04:42 PM

I'm thinking more like 6,100 years old.

tooblue 04-13-2009 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venkman (Post 303516)
I'm thinking more like 6,100 years old.

Well, actually the earth is 6,100 ... at least ;)

Indy Coug 04-13-2009 04:53 PM

Hell, Waters' schtick is more than 6,000 years old.

tooblue 04-13-2009 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 303521)
Hell, Waters' schtick is more than 6,000 years old.

lol

MikeWaters 04-13-2009 05:08 PM

The reason I mention this is because I was on a science/nature oriented forum, and someone talks about the origins of insects millions of years ago, and suddenly a bunch of people are foisting their "earth is 6000 years old" arguments.

WTH?

I think this kind of fundamentalism exists in the LDS church, it's just not all that prominent.

Cali Coug 04-13-2009 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooblue (Post 303523)
lol

I have no link, but tooblue does strike me as the type to believe the Earth to be 6,000 years old. That doesn't mean he does believe it, that is just the sense I have.

So, to put the matter directly, how old do you believe the Earth to be, tooblue?

tooblue 04-13-2009 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 303534)
I have no link, but tooblue does strike me as the type to believe the Earth to be 6,000 years old. That doesn't mean he does believe it, that is just the sense I have.

So, to put the matter directly, how old do you believe the Earth to be, tooblue?

Your perception of me is incorrect and indicative of you prejudices and not what I have said or done -- I am the personification of someone that strikes you as believing something unfathomable.

Go search and read my posts. The earth is certainly more than 6,000 years old.

Cali Coug 04-13-2009 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooblue (Post 303540)
Your perception of me is incorrect and indicative of you prejudices and not what I have said or done -- I am the personification of someone that strikes you as believing something unfathomable.

Go search and read my posts. The earth is certainly more than 6,000 years old.

If so, then I apologize. How much older than 6,000 years?

Indy Coug 04-13-2009 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 303544)

Just answer "somewhere between 6,000 and 4.5 billion years" and be done with it.

tooblue 04-13-2009 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 303544)

I have no idea -- the earth is likely billions of years old.

MikeWaters 04-13-2009 06:01 PM

One thing I know, the number of years the earth has existed is well less than than the number of dollars that Obama will create in new deficits.

il Padrino Ute 04-13-2009 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 303552)
One thing I know, the number of years the earth has existed is well less than than the number of dollars that Obama will create in new deficits.

Don't go out on a limb with your predictions...;)

Mormon Red Death 04-13-2009 11:18 PM

Here is a question that I have about the "age of the earth"

When did it become "Earth"?

On the 7th day? always existed? Some point 4.5 billion years ago?

Couldn't someone make a claim that it didn't become earth until someone started recording its history as earth?

ute4ever 04-14-2009 12:44 AM

The problem with you telestial mortals is you are trying to debate this under the concept of measured time.

Moreover, under the calendar method, we don't know if Adam and Eve lived in the garden for 3 hours, 3 months, or 3 billion years.

Don't even try to question me. I'll take all of you heathen down.

Indy Coug 04-14-2009 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ute4ever (Post 303593)
The problem with you telestial mortals is you are trying to debate this under the concept of measured time.

Moreover, under the calendar method, we don't know if Adam and Eve lived in the garden for 3 hours, 3 months, or 3 billion years.

Don't even try to question me. I'll take all of you heathen down.

Has the passage of time always been constant?

Sleeping in EQ 04-14-2009 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 303532)
The reason I mention this is because I was on a science/nature oriented forum, and someone talks about the origins of insects millions of years ago, and suddenly a bunch of people are foisting their "earth is 6000 years old" arguments.

WTH?

I think this kind of fundamentalism exists in the LDS church, it's just not all that prominent.

It exists, but I think it's in decline.

Burning Bright 04-17-2009 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 303606)
Has the passage of time always been constant?

I don't think it's constant now. It's relative.

By the way, James Talmage was at Adam-ondi-Ahman and he observed a pile of rocks that Joseph Smith said was the remains of an altar that Adam had made. The rocks were full of fossils.

CardiacCoug 04-17-2009 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burning Bright (Post 303768)
I don't think it's constant now. It's relative.

By the way, James Talmage was at Adam-ondi-Ahman and he observed a pile of rocks that Joseph Smith said was the remains of an altar that Adam had made. The rocks were full of fossils.

Do you really believe that the first person who lived on the earth built an altar that still exists in some form in Missouri?

And you're saying that fossils in the rocks represent evidence that animals or plants died and were already fossilized before the first people? And this would be used to contradict Joseph Fielding Smith's claim that nothing died before The Fall of Adam?

Talk about coming to the correct conclusion by means of outrageously faulty reasoning. How old are you?

Burning Bright 04-17-2009 04:27 AM

Do you really believe that the first person who lived on the earth built an altar that still exists in some form in Missouri?

I believe Adam built some type of altar in what's now Missouri.

And you're saying that fossils in the rocks represent evidence that animals or plants died and were already fossilized before the first people?

There were fossils in the rocks Adam used. The fossils are evidence of ancient life.

And this would be used to contradict Joseph Fielding Smith's claim that nothing died before The Fall of Adam?

I'm not contradicting or supporting his claim. I'm just stating the facts as I understand them.

Talk about coming to the correct conclusion by means of outrageously faulty reasoning.

You have no clue what my reasoning or beliefs are. All I said was that there were fossils in the rocks JS identified as having been Adam's altar. From that statement you can't tell whether I believe JS was a prophet (I do) or whether I believe Adam existed (I do).

How old are you?

Early 40s.

ute4ever 04-17-2009 05:43 PM

When god created the rocks that Adam would use, did he zap his magic wand and create them out of amoebas that had just come into existence on that very day?

There is a wood frame house being built next door. County records will list the "year built" as 2009. Does that mean the trees that the wood came from were grown in 2009?

BlueHair 04-18-2009 12:39 AM

Is there a list of people that really believe the earth is only 6000 years old? If so, I have some "stuff" to sell them.