cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Fear DOES exist in this dojo! (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24693)

TripletDaddy 11-13-2008 01:43 AM

Fear DOES exist in this dojo!

This is the most horrible, terrifying news of the past year. I am not joking. Pardon my french, but there are certain movies with which you just don't eff around.

One of them is Zapped! with a young Scott Baio
One of them is Midnight Madness with a young Michael J Fox.
And the other one is The Karate Kid....which introduced the world to Elisabeth Shue and made it possible for her to later expose her breasts in Palmetto.

If Billy Zabka were dead, he would be rolling over in his grave.

Strike First, Strike Hard, No Mercy, Sir!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/1..._n_142907.html

il Padrino Ute 11-13-2008 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 294666)
This is the most horrible, terrifying news of the past year. I am not joking. Pardon my french, but there are certain movies with which you just don't eff around.

One of them is Zapped! with a young Scott Baio
And the other one is The Karate Kid....which introduced the world to Elisabeth Shue and made it possible for her to later expose her breasts in Palmetto.

If Billy Zabka were dead, he would be rolling over in his grave.

Strike First, Strike Hard, No Mercy, Sir!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/1..._n_142907.html

Is nothing sacred?

This comes on the heels of the Obama election. Are you really surprised?

Venkman 11-13-2008 02:10 AM

WTF??!! He's like four feet tall.

il Padrino Ute 11-13-2008 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venkman (Post 294670)
WTF??!! He's like four feet tall.

Well, Ralph Macchio isn't Ralph Sampson....

SteelBlue 11-13-2008 04:15 AM

The kid will be 11 during filming. Weak! Ralph was like 25 years old playing a 15/16 year old.

landpoke 11-13-2008 03:16 PM

I hope they do it up Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon style. Lots of flying through the air and such.

Surfah 11-13-2008 03:41 PM

This is blasphemous. That Hillary Swank put the first dent in the empire, this will surely bring it crumbling down.

Archaea 11-13-2008 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surfah (Post 294753)
This is blasphemous. That Hillary Swank put the first dent in the empire, this will surely bring it crumbling down.

Does Will Smith get to land a spaceship in it, or does he fly like a superhero drunk and disorderly?

TripletDaddy 11-13-2008 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 294759)
Does Will Smith get to land a spaceship in it, or does he fly like a superhero drunk and disorderly?

As crazy as your post sounds, it wouldnt surprise me if there was some lame CGI or special effects.

What concerns me most, besides the obvious Billy Zabka debacle, is the impending soundtrack.

Have they decided whether to re-use classics like "Cruel Summer" from Bananarama?

"You're the best," and the All-Valley Karate tournament montage was unquestionably the hallmark of that movie. You could argue that actually was the 3 or 4 minutes of film that tied all 80s cinema together into one great whole. What are they going to do for the remake?

highlights of this montage are

1. Daniel fighting Lamar Latrell at :52
2. Fat, out of shape dude at 1:24
3. And Larusso fighting Dutch at 2:28. Dutch, btw is the baddest mo-fo of all the Cobra Kai and has the most wicked kick at 2:46. That dude is so limber! How does he move his head like that? Also, for some reason, Dutch scores one point, then Daniel scores one point, but Daniel wins.

Runner Coug 11-13-2008 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 294666)

That was an awesome flick. I've always thought it would be cool to be in an overnight scavenger hunt like that.

Someone should sign up for cougarboard with the user name "fagabeefe".

Archaea 11-13-2008 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 294791)
As crazy as your post sounds, it wouldnt surprise me if there was some lame CGI or special effects.

What concerns me most, besides the obvious Billy Zabka debacle, is the impending soundtrack.

Have they decided whether to re-use classics like "Cruel Summer" from Bananarama?

"You're the best," and the All-Valley Karate tournament montage was unquestionably the hallmark of that movie. You could argue that actually was the 3 or 4 minutes of film that tied all 80s cinema together into one great whole. What are they going to do for the remake?

highlights of this montage are

1. Daniel fighting Lamar Latrell at :52
2. Fat, out of shape dude at 1:24
3. And Larusso fighting Dutch at 2:28. Dutch, btw is the baddest mo-fo of all the Cobra Kai and has the most wicked kick at 2:46. That dude is so limber! How does he move his head like that? Also, for some reason, Dutch scores one point, then Daniel scores one point, but Daniel wins.

The fighter who breaks his leg is named Ron Thomas, he swam on the same swim team as I. I could tell you a few stories about his mother. I remember him being interviewed about his possible increased role in the sequel. We laughed when it didn't pan out.

"Sweep the leg"

"But sensei, I'll be disqualified!"

Surfah 11-13-2008 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 294807)
I could tell you a few stories about his mother.

Why don't you then?

Archaea 11-13-2008 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surfah (Post 294808)
Why don't you then?

This is public.

TripletDaddy 11-13-2008 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 294807)
The fighter who breaks his leg is named Ron Thomas, he swam on the same swim team as I. I could tell you a few stories about his mother. I remember him being interviewed about his possible increased role in the sequel. We laughed when it didn't pan out.

"Sweep the leg"

"But sensei, I'll be disqualified!"

Holy hell! You know/knew Bobby? YOU KNOW A COBRA KAI?

what in blazes have you been doing keeping this secret all this time? For future reference, if you know someone who starred in The Karate Kid, you let EVERYONE know as quickly as possible.

You are hereby and immediately promoted to the rank of Lieutenant in the Pop Culture Army.

But sensei......I can beat this guy.

I DONT WANT HIM BEAT. OUT OF COMMISSION.

Holy crap. you SWAM with that guy? did he ever wear his cobra kai gi when he was swimming?

TripletDaddy 11-13-2008 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runner Coug (Post 294802)
That was an awesome flick. I've always thought it would be cool to be in an overnight scavenger hunt like that.

Someone should sign up for cougarboard with the user name "fagabeefe".

The Great All Nighter!

You can find that DVD if you look hard enough. Classic.

Cherry Point.

SteelBlue 11-13-2008 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 294817)
For future reference, if you know someone who starred in The Karate Kid, you let EVERYONE know as quickly as possible.

No doubt. I can't believe he's been sitting on that info for all these years. He just skyrocketed up the cool ladder in my book.

Surfah 11-13-2008 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 294839)
No doubt. I can't believe he's been sitting on that info for all these years. He just skyrocketed up the cool ladder in my book.

Tell me about it. That sandbaggin' sob. That's like the coolest thing ever. I can't come close to that except that one of my companions was the little blonde toddler in the old glow worm commercial and that a buddy of mine played a Channing on Falcon's Crest.

pelagius 11-13-2008 08:01 PM

Quote:

For future reference, if you know someone who starred in The Karate Kid, you let EVERYONE know as quickly as possible.

What about if you knew (or at least met before the movie) one of the minor characters?

TripletDaddy 11-13-2008 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pelagius (Post 294889)
What about if you knew (or at least met before the movie) one of the minor characters?

There are no "minor characters" in The Karate Kid. Each actor/actress played a critical role, from Daniel Larusso to the gay friend that invites Daniel to the "adios summer" beach party to the waiter in the background who laughs at Daniel-son when he falls to the ground covered in spaghetti. They are all symbians in the great circle.

Surfah 11-13-2008 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pelagius (Post 294889)

Are you holding out too? Holy shiznit!

I think some of you can attest to my Karate Kid-ness when you saw my MySpace profile dedicated to all things Miyagi-do and Cobra Kai.

pelagius 11-13-2008 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 294898)
There are no "minor characters" in The Karate Kid. Each actor/actress played a critical role, from Daniel Larusso to the gay friend that invites Daniel to the "adios summer" beach party to the waiter in the background who laughs at Daniel-son when he falls to the ground covered in spaghetti. They are all symbians in the great circle.

Ok, the main referee (Pat Johnson). Sometimes he would be a "guest" Karate instructor (can't remember how many times it happened, but not more than a few) where my brothers and I took lessons. We were so scared of him. I remember begging my mom not to make me go the times he taught.

Surfah 11-13-2008 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pelagius (Post 294902)
Ok, the main referee (Pat Johnson). Sometimes he would be a "guest" Karate instructor were my brothers and I took lessons. We were so scared of him. I remember begging my mom not to make me go the times he taught.

That's huge!

TripletDaddy 11-13-2008 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pelagius (Post 294902)
Ok, the main referee (Pat Johnson). Sometimes he would be a "guest" Karate instructor (can't remember how many times it happened, but not more than a few) where my brothers and I took lessons. We were so scared of him. I remember begging my mom not to make me go the times he taught.

The main referee from the Finals....wasnt he the same guy in the montage? Either way, that is also amazing!

For the record, does anyone here know the random guy with the inexplicable Texas accent?

"miYAGI-do karate!"

and the classic...

"Daniel Larusso is gonna fight? FOLKS, THIS IS WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT!"

OK, i will try to leach on to POO and Archaea here...very weak, but at least it is something...an actual nexus to the movie.......I have been to locker room at Cal State Northridge where the "heated hands" scene is filmed. There are lots of YSA dances at CSUN and we went to one early to walk around and look for the film locations. Actually, anyone can walk in there. There is no CSUN floor mat, though. I guess that was just for the movie.

pelagius 11-13-2008 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 294912)
The main referee from the Finals....wasnt he the same guy in the montage? Either way, that is also amazing!

Yes, he is in the montage. He is the ref sporting the very cool stache. He was also martial arts choreographer.

TripletDaddy 11-13-2008 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pelagius (Post 294914)
Yes, he is in the montage. He is the ref sporting the very cool stache. He was also martial arts choreographer.

quit bragging, loser!

Crap, how many Karate Kid sandbaggers do we have on this site?

pelagius 11-13-2008 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 294916)
quit bragging, loser!

Ya, the kids are really impressed when I tell them: "See the referee kids, when I was 7 I used to cry if that man looked at me."

Runner Coug 11-13-2008 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 294916)
quit bragging, loser!

Crap, how many Karate Kid sandbaggers do we have on this site?

Well, I made out with Elisabeth Shue once, does that count?

Ok, I can't back that up. But you can imagine what it would be like if I did.

I love you, Lisa.

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/IM.../039_21772.jpg

TripletDaddy 11-13-2008 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runner Coug (Post 294919)
Well, I made out with Elisabeth Shue once, does that count?

Ok, I can't back that up. But you can imagine what it would be like if I did.

I love you, Lisa.

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/IM.../039_21772.jpg

She looked good in palmetto.

I liked her in The Saint, as well. I was totally willing to help her with her hypothermia.

but there was something magical about The Karate Kid. Something very innocent, very demure.......MUCHO CALOR! I defy a guy to tell me that he didnt have a Shuerection from that movie. The All Valley tournament outfit...with the really tall socks and loafers with skirt......ROW-FREAKING-RRRR!

Surfah 11-13-2008 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 294920)

I liked her in The Saint, as well. I was totally willing to help her with her hypothermia.

but there was something magical about The Karate Kid. Something very innocent, very demure.......MUCHO CALOR! I defy a guy to tell me that he didnt have a Shuerection from that movie. The All Valley tournament outfit...with the really tall socks and loafers with skirt......ROW-FREAKING-RRRR!

She was way cute in Karate Kid. She was dare I say chunky or maybe thick is the right word. But you're right, skirt, knee highs with the towel over her shoulders...

I liked her in Leaving Las Vegas.

My buddy that played the little Channing played with Shue in Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead.

Runner Coug 11-13-2008 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surfah (Post 294926)
She was way cute in Karate Kid. She was dare I say chunky or maybe thick is the right word. But you're right, skirt, knee highs with the towel over her shoulders...

My buddy that played the little Channing played with Shue in Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead.

Adventures in Babysitting?

TripletDaddy 11-13-2008 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surfah (Post 294926)

She was thick in The Karate Kid. But it was thick, Shue goodness.

Do you mean Adventures in babysitting? DTMTBD was with Christina Applewhore.

Shue dropped the F bomb in AIB.....Don't F with the Babysitter!

Mormon Red Death 11-13-2008 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 294920)

Its Alli with an "I"

Surfah 11-13-2008 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runner Coug (Post 294929)
Adventures in Babysitting?

You're right....I got it mixed up. Wrong movie and actress entirely. I meant Applegate.

TripletDaddy 11-13-2008 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death (Post 294932)
Its Alli with an "I"

Also, Daniel, with an L (very lame line for him to use on such a hot specimen, by the way).

I love when she gives him her phone number and he looks at it and says, "DEFINITELY"

Jennerstein 11-14-2008 08:28 AM

I present this music video which is so American in its capitalism. But it's kind of catchy :

http://www.sweeptheleg.com/

Archaea 11-14-2008 03:23 PM

Quote:

Holy hell! You know/knew Bobby? YOU KNOW A COBRA KAI?

what in blazes have you been doing keeping this secret all this time? For future reference, if you know someone who starred in The Karate Kid, you let EVERYONE know as quickly as possible.

You are hereby and immediately promoted to the rank of Lieutenant in the Pop Culture Army.

But sensei......I can beat this guy.

I DONT WANT HIM BEAT. OUT OF COMMISSION.

Holy crap. you SWAM with that guy? did he ever wear his cobra kai gi when he was swimming?

He wanted no part of me.

Surfah 11-14-2008 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 295084)
He wanted no part of me.

Yeah, but did his mother?

Archaea 11-14-2008 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surfah (Post 295088)
Yeah, but did his mother?

A chain smoking, raspy voiced, screamer? You may have her.

il Padrino Ute 11-14-2008 08:52 PM

I don't know nor have I met anyone from The Karate Kid.

But I do know Johnny Whittaker. I grew up with his cousin.

That has to count for something, right? I mean, Family Affair + Sigmund and the Sea Monsters = Karate Kid, right?

Archaea 11-14-2008 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 295165)
I don't know nor have I met anyone from The Karate Kid.

But I do know Johnny Whittaker. I grew up with his cousin.

That has to count for something, right? I mean, Family Affair + Sigmund and the Sea Monsters = Karate Kid, right?

I saw him in the MTC, I can't remember now if it at the beginning or after my mission; he went Portuguese speaking IIRC.

And Jocelyn in a Knight's Tale, Heath Ledger's movie is a friend of our family. She's from Northern Nevada.