cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Olympic sports that have to go (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21563)

Jeff Lebowski 08-13-2008 09:31 PM

Olympic sports that have to go

Swimming is one of my favorite Olympic sports. I feel the same way about track and field. It is sport in its simplest form.

That being said, there are some sports that need to go. Their very presence in the Olympics cheapens the other sports. Here is my list:

1) Rhythmic gymnastics - any sport that requires both makeup and judges is not a sport
2) Badminton - If you include this, then you have to include bocci, lawn dice, and croquet.
3) Yachting - too aristocratic. Ugh.
4) Equestrian - see item 3. And if you include this, you need to include bareback riding and bull riding.
5) Handball - who plays handball?

What would you include on your list?

Jeff Lebowski 08-13-2008 09:34 PM

Oops. I almost forgot synchronized swimming. It's a tie for #1 on my list.

Indy Coug 08-13-2008 09:35 PM

Synchronized diving
Tennis

TripletDaddy 08-13-2008 09:39 PM

Yachting is an olympic sport? Seriously? I guess I missed that. What is it...a huge regatta? Or is it based on the nicest boat? the best wine/cheese spread?

il Padrino Ute 08-13-2008 09:39 PM

I'd get rid of synchronized diving.

I'm not a fan of beach volleyball, as that is something you do for recreation at the beach, so that's gone.

It's not a sport, but as long as we're eliminating things, I'd be all for not allowing France to participate.

Jeff Lebowski 08-13-2008 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 252288)
I'm not a fan of beach volleyball, as that is something you do for recreation at the beach, so that's gone.

You obviously missed the scene four years ago when Misty and Kerri celebrated winning the gold. Yowza.

landpoke 08-13-2008 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 252288)
I'm not a fan of beach volleyball

Huh, I always thought you were a guy.

Rickomatic 08-13-2008 09:46 PM

Any sport that needs a judge to decide the winner. That includes winter sports. Refs and umpires are needed to ensure rules are followed in other sports.

Flystripper 08-13-2008 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 252279)
Synchronized diving
Tennis

why tennis?

SteelBlue 08-13-2008 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickomatic (Post 252299)
Any sport that needs a judge to decide the winner. That includes winter sports. Refs and umpires are needed to ensure rules are followed in other sports.

I'd say that any sport where your costume is judged as part of your score. Yeah, I'm talking to you figure skating.

As far as summer goes:

synchronized anything
BMX (too x games for me)
Equestrian. At least give the medal to the friggin horse.
Any sport with a boat that isn't being rowed

Flystripper 08-13-2008 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 252307)
I'd say that any sport where your costume is judged as part of your score. Yeah, I'm talking to you figure skating.

There goes UteStar's Olympic dreams

TripletDaddy 08-13-2008 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landpoke (Post 252292)

Someone walk me through this.

What is the excitement in watching women with size .5A cup breasts?

As Serg in Beverly Hills Cop said, "and button up your shirt...it's not sexy....it is like a dog to scrub.....it's not sexy"

landpoke 08-13-2008 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 252316)
Someone walk me through this.

What is the excitement in watching women with size .5A cup breasts?

As Serg in Beverly Hills Cop said, "and button up your shirt...it's not sexy....it is like a dog to scrub.....it's not sexy"

I'm an ass, abs and leg guy. Different strokes.

Flystripper 08-13-2008 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landpoke (Post 252324)

I am with you. One of the reasons I married a college 400-800 meter runner.

il Padrino Ute 08-13-2008 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 252291)
You obviously missed the scene four years ago when Misty and Kerri celebrated winning the gold. Yowza.

Quote:

Originally Posted by landpoke

Do you guys watch it for the competition of volleyball or for the babes in bikinis?

If we're going to watch for the babes, why have beach volleyball when there could be a stripper pole on a stage?

YOhio 08-13-2008 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 252330)
If we're going to watch for the babes, why have beach volleyball when there could be a stripper pole on a stage?

Variety.

Gidget 08-13-2008 10:13 PM

What! Badminton is freakin' awesome, they are just as much athletes as tennis players. Have you guys played badminton? These are teh sports that I think should go:
1. Sailing/yachting
2. Equestrian - I'm with SteelBlue, medal to the horse!
3. BMX belongs in the ex games exclusively.

And Il Padrino - you can swim at the beach for recreation, should swimming be gone, too? You can do any sport for recreation, not a good enough reason for eliminating something.

Winter Olympics: curling should be out of there! It should have been a long time ago like barrel jumping was I don't care how much play it's gotten since SLC, it is stupid.

landpoke 08-13-2008 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 252330)

I know this is hard to believe, but your average beach volleyball player is slightly more toned and fit than your average stripper. There are rare exceptions, but generally diet by booze and coke makes for a thin yet untoned dancer.

Unless you're suggesting they qualify by playing beach volleyball and then compete by dancing. I could get behind that.

il Padrino Ute 08-13-2008 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 252340)
Variety.

Perhaps so, but which team would you rather see?

http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2008-08/41488154.jpg

http://www.topnews.in/files/pole-dancing1.jpg

TripletDaddy 08-13-2008 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gidget (Post 252348)
What! Badminton is freakin' awesome, they are just as much athletes as tennis players. Have you guys played badminton? These are teh sports that I think should go:
1. Sailing/yachting
2. Equestrian - I'm with SteelBlue, medal to the horse!
3. BMX belongs in the ex games exclusively.

And Il Padrino - you can swim at the beach for recreation, should swimming be gone, too? You can do any sport for recreation, not a good enough reason for eliminating something.

Winter Olympics: curling should be out of there! It should have been a long time ago like barrel jumping was I don't care how much play it's gotten since SLC, it is stupid.

EPU is just bitter because baseball is no longer included.

Gidget 08-13-2008 10:16 PM

Quote:

Wow what a thread jack, I should have known with the amount of testosterone here on CG that this thread was eventually gonna go this way. You men just can't help yourselves can you?

Rickomatic 08-13-2008 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 252354)

It is this year and there is still time to get the IOC to reverse that decision.

TripletDaddy 08-13-2008 10:16 PM

Quote:

In that case, you have likely hit the goldmine.

Are you also a black-melanoma-on-the-shoulder guy? If so, make sure you check out Team USA women's beach volleyball this week. there is one girl who will really catch your eye.

landpoke 08-13-2008 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 252353)

That's like asking to choose which one of your children you love the most.

il Padrino Ute 08-13-2008 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landpoke (Post 252351)
I know this is hard to believe, but the beach volleyball players are slightly more toned and fit than your average stripper. There are rare exceptions, but generally diet by booze and coke makes for a thin yet untoned dancer.

Unless you're suggesting they qualify by playing beach volleyball and then compete by dancing. I could get behind that.

I'll have to defer to your knowledge of strippers, as the nearest club to my house recently got shut down because the owner decided he didn't need to pay the lease and I'm too lazy to see if there is another club to visit that is within walking distance.

Sure, let the volleyballers do the dancing.

Gidget 08-13-2008 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landpoke (Post 252362)
That's like asking to choose which one of your children you love the most.

LOL, no, no you can't help yourselves.

il Padrino Ute 08-13-2008 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 252354)

Not at all, as baseball is still around.

http://web.usabaseball.com/teams/index.jsp?team=940

il Padrino Ute 08-13-2008 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickomatic (Post 252360)
It is this year and there is still time to get the IOC to reverse that decision.

Hopefully, this will happen. I say we keep baseball and dump France.

MikeWaters 08-13-2008 10:28 PM

Chicago Bears invite Logan Tom to visit training camp.

http://web.avp.com/news/article.jsp?...ontentid=30661

Some teams invite kids through the Make A Wish Foundation. The Bears invited Logan Tom.

http://web.avp.com/images/2007/08/03/n8vce3FS.jpg

FarrahWaters 08-13-2008 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gidget (Post 252358)
Wow what a thread jack, I should have known with the amount of testosterone here on CG that this thread was eventually gonna go this way. You men just can't help yourselves can you?

Ah, I was once new to this board like you.... trust me, you ain't seen nothing yet.

Perhaps my lesbian tendencies are being influenced by that song about kissing a girl with cherry chapstick, but I've always thought that athletic women were sexy. The strippers don't do anything for me.

Sleeping in EQ 08-13-2008 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gidget (Post 252366)
LOL, no, no you can't help yourselves.

Most of us fellows manage to restrain ourselves most of the time.

Flystripper 08-13-2008 11:38 PM

I still don't understand why Indy wants tennis to go.

Gidget 08-13-2008 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarrahWaters (Post 252431)
Ah, I was once new to this board like you.... trust me, you ain't seen nothing yet.

Perhaps my lesbian tendencies are being influenced by that song about kissing a girl with cherry chapstick, but I've always thought that athletic women were sexy. The strippers don't do anything for me.

Don't get me wrong, I certainly am no prude when it comes to the admittance that some females are just hot. I just have to laugh at how fast the posts start cranking out when hot women are brought into the conversation. And I think I can speak generally and say that they are almost 100% male dominated conversations. I wonder what it would be like for us girls to threadjack a post in the Football category comparing body-parts and sexual attraction to the athletes? What would our CG men say? (This isn't an assumption, I am really wondering how this would turn out) This only further supports my supporting of the aforementioned motion for a women's category, with men allowed of course.

il Padrino Ute 08-13-2008 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gidget (Post 252452)
... I wonder what it would be like for us girls to threadjack a post in the Football category comparing body-parts and sexual attraction to the athletes? What would our CG men say? ...

I can only speak for myself and say that I would most likely skip that thread once I found out it had been hijacked.

Besides, I've seen enough athletes at the college level when they are in the shower to not understand why any female would be attracted to them.

Gidget 08-13-2008 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 252455)
I can only speak for myself and say that I would most likely skip that thread once I found out it had been hijacked.

Besides, I've seen enough athletes at the college level when they are in the shower to not understand why any female would be attracted to them.

So do you think the women on CG should start avoiding the threads that get jacked by the men's sexual remarks? If so, I think you would see the end of women on CG (maybe you wouldn't mind that?) because it does happen frequently I have noticed (although, I am not bothered by it). I only brought it up originally just making fun.

TripletDaddy 08-13-2008 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gidget (Post 252452)
I wonder what it would be like for us girls to threadjack a post in the Football category comparing body-parts and sexual attraction to the athletes?

What you are describing is known on the internet as "UteStarring"

As in, "dude, she totally UteStarred my thread! Gross!"

Gidget 08-13-2008 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 252455)

I can somewhat agree. I don't think I have experienced as many male locker rooms I am sure - but I certainly feel like females are the more beautiful sex.

Gidget 08-14-2008 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 252460)
What you are describing is known on the internet as "UteStarring"

As in, "dude, she totally UteStarred my thread! Gross!"

I guess I am a little green, please explain, I wanna hear the details . . . .

TripletDaddy 08-14-2008 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gidget (Post 252462)
I don't think I have experienced as many male locker rooms I am sure - but I certainly feel like females are the more beautiful sex.

Gross! Quit UteStarring this thread with all the crazy lesbo talk.

il Padrino Ute 08-14-2008 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gidget (Post 252459)
So do you think the women on CG should start avoiding the threads that get jacked by the men's sexual remarks? If so, I think you would see the end of women on CG (maybe you wouldn't mind that?) because it does happen frequently I have noticed (although, I am not bothered by it). I only brought it up originally just making fun.

Not at all. That was my lame attempt at being facetious.