cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Professional Sports (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Olympics 2008 (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21556)

Gidget 08-13-2008 03:15 PM

Olympics 2008

I didn't quite know where to post this - so here I am. This Olympics is the first I feel I have really been into. I have admired other athletes and watched their respective competitions before, but this year I am a huge supporter of the U.S. all around. The level of these athletes is incredible and I find myself every night glued to the screen during primetime and even during the day watching every event I possibly can. Literally, everyone in our house is losing sleep just to stay up and watch swimming, it's awesome. I really want to see Phelps win 8 golds, who's with me?

TripletDaddy 08-13-2008 03:25 PM

I am all about Phelps. I am more interested in him than in USA basketball, actually. He is on the cusp of something truly amazing.

However, I have been glued to the Olympics since I was a kid in 84.....Los Angeles Summer Games. I caught the bug and never looked back.

My favorite things about each Olympics:

1. Watching the new and creative ways to light the Olympic flame. Does everyone remember the archer with the flaming arrow in Barcelona? How amazing was that?

2. Parade of Nations (I know many find this boring...I find it to be really cool)

3. Track and Field...esp the relays.....there is something terribly exciting about watching 4 USA sprinters pass that baton and watch them build that lead on each pass. I could do without the mugging and posing and using the American flag as a cape, which took place several years ago. That was lame.

4. Looking at the medal count and seeing the USA at the top

5. Looking at the medal count and seeing that one lone tiny nation with one medal.....maybe a bronze, maybe even a gold.....but you know that whomever it was that won the medal will forever be a hero in his or her country.

6. The National Anthem and the raising of the US flag. That never gets old for me. I love watching the atheletes....will they cry? will they be stone faced? will they attempt to sing (and mess up the lyrics?)...it seems silly....why should I feel a tremendous swell of national pride simply because an American swam a faster 100M butterfly stroke than a Japanese person? Who cares, really? I cannot explain it, but for whatever reason, the Olympics make me care.

7. The Olympic rings/logo everywhere. yes, I realize that it is a branding exercise and that the Olympics are largely about corporate sponsorship and money. However, for those that have lived in a host city....SLC, for example.....did you think it was cool to see Olympic stuff all over the place? The gigantic murals or pictures of atheletes draped over downtown buildings, the Olympic Flame burning at the local stadium, flags of nations everywhere.....you just feel like you are at the epicenter of something incredibly important and fun. Maybe others felt it to be an intrusion (traffic, crowds, etc...), but i loved being a part of it. I hope the Olympics return to Los Angeles again in my lifetime.

cougjunkie 08-13-2008 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 252031)
I am all about Phelps. I am more interested in him than in USA basketball, actually. He is on the cusp of something truly amazing.

However, I have been glued to the Olympics since I was a kid in 84.....Los Angeles Summer Games. I caught the bug and never looked back.

1. Watching the new and creative ways to light the Olympic flame. Does everyone remember the archer with the flaming arrow in Barcelona? How amazing was that?

2. Parade of Nations (I know many find this boring...I find it to be really cool)

3. Track and Field...esp the relays.....there is something terribly exciting about watching 4 USA sprinters pass that baton and watch them build that lead on each pass. I could do without the mugging and posing and using the American flag as a cape, which took place several years ago. That was lame.

5. Looking at the medal count and seeing that one lone tiny nation with one medal.....maybe a bronze, maybe even a gold.....but you know that whomever it was that won the medal will forever be a hero in his or her country.

6. The National Anthem and the raising of the US flag. That never gets old for me. I love watching the atheletes....will they cry? will they be stone faced? will they attempt to sing (and mess up the lyrics?)...it seems silly....why should I feel a tremendous swell of national pride simply because an American swam a faster 100M butterfly stroke than a Japanese person? Who cares, really? I cannot explain it, but for whatever reason, the Olympics make me care.

7. The Olympic rings/logo everywhere. yes, I realize that it is a branding exercise and that the Olympics are largely about corporate sponsorship and money. However, for those that have lived in a host city....SLC, for example.....did you think it was cool to see Olympic stuff all over the place? The gigantic murals or pictures of atheletes draped over downtown buildings, the Olympic Flame burning at the local stadium, flags of nations everywhere.....you just feel like you are at the epicenter of something incredibly important and fun. Maybe others felt it to be an intrusion (traffic, crowds, etc...), but i loved being a part of it. I hope the Olympics return to Los Angeles again in my lifetime.

I thought the archer was the atlanta games after Muhammad Ali came out?

TripletDaddy 08-13-2008 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougjunkie (Post 252035)
I thought the archer was the atlanta games after Muhammad Ali came out?

No. Ali lit the flame...remember, he was shaky from parkinsons.

The Archer was in Barthelona.

Gidget 08-13-2008 03:36 PM

Quote:

I am in agreement, the parade of nations is cool, I watched the whole thing in its entirety. The Olympics torch lighting is always a huge highlight. All relays swimming, track make me so nervous, my husband always laughs at me for it! But I think that's a good thing, it shows how exciting and thrilling these events are, one more thing I love is the medals ceremonies - I just can't get tired of seeing the athletes tear up under their flag (especially when it's American) but with any country - in smaller less popular events I find myself rooting for countries who have never won a medal, it just seems like such an accomplishment, and I believe it is.

cougjunkie 08-13-2008 03:47 PM

Regarding Phelps he will only be 27 at the next Olympic games, can you imagine what he is going to do to just about every record out there.

He has 11 golds now, and 2 bronze, if he wins his next 3 races here he will have 14 gold medals and 2 bronze medals. In 2012 I doubt he would try 8 events again so let be conservative and say he wins 4 gold medals. Then he realistically could specialize in one or two events and come back in 2016 he would only be 31 and what if he wins another gold or 2.

We could realistically see this kid win 20 gold medals in his career.

TripletDaddy 08-13-2008 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougjunkie (Post 252045)
Regarding Phelps he will only be 27 at the next Olympic games, can you imagine what he is going to do to just about every record out there.

He has 11 golds now, and 2 bronze, if he wins his next 3 races here he will have 14 gold medals and 2 bronze medals. In 2012 I doubt he would try 8 events again so let be conservative and say he wins 4 gold medals. Then he realistically could specialize in one or two events and come back in 2016 he would only be 31 and what if he wins another gold or 2.

This is a good point. Phelps could be the next Lezak....swimming one leg of a couple of relays in future Olympics, picking up a few more Golds.

That guy is set for life if he plays his cards right....

1. Motivational/Corporate speaking circuit
2. Book deals
3. Endorsements for swim gear
4. His own swim academy/school
5. Trainer/coach/consultant for future Olympic teams (hopefully just for the USA)
6. TV analyst for swimming

i read yesterday that his swim regimen includes 50 miles a week. holy crap. That guy deserves every bit of success/fame he is tasting right now.

Jeff Lebowski 08-13-2008 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougjunkie (Post 252045)

After Beijing, I wonder if he will have sufficient motivation to train at this level for another four years.

TripletDaddy 08-13-2008 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 252056)
After Beijing, I wonder if he will have sufficient motivation to train at this level for another four years.

He has already said that he plans to compete at the 2012 games in Londres.

Good luck, world.

Flystripper 08-13-2008 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 252056)

People like him don't lose motivation

Cali Coug 08-13-2008 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gidget (Post 252026)
I didn't quite know where to post this - so here I am. This Olympics is the first I feel I have really been into. I have admired other athletes and watched their respective competitions before, but this year I am a huge supporter of the U.S. all around. The level of these athletes is incredible and I find myself every night glued to the screen during primetime and even during the day watching every event I possibly can. Literally, everyone in our house is losing sleep just to stay up and watch swimming, it's awesome. I really want to see Phelps win 8 golds, who's with me?

The games have been spectacular so far. The pageantry, the remarkable athleticism, the amazing competitions...

I have to say that I am shocked there hasn't been more of a political flair so far. I truly believed something would have happened by now. Not a single Tibetan flag from an athlete? No mass demonstrations in Tiannanmen Square? Either China is doing a fantastic job of controlling the media outlets, or people are really failing to take advantage of the spotlight on China to make a point.

cougjunkie 08-13-2008 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 252055)
This is a good point. Phelps could be the next Lezak....swimming one leg of a couple of relays in future Olympics, picking up a few more Golds.

That guy is set for life if he plays his cards right....

1. Motivational/Corporate speaking circuit
2. Book deals
3. Endorsements for swim gear
4. His own swim academy/school
5. Trainer/coach/consultant for future Olympic teams (hopefully just for the USA)
6. TV analyst for swimming

i read yesterday that his swim regimen includes 50 miles a week. holy crap. That guy deserves every bit of success/fame he is tasting right now.

I read yesterday that with his endorsement deals he currently makes roughly 5 million a year. If he breaks the record that will triple.

Jeff Lebowski 08-13-2008 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougjunkie (Post 252071)
I read yesterday that with his endorsement deals he currently makes roughly 5 million a year. If he breaks the record that will triple.

Can you imagine the disappointment there will be if he falters in one these last three races?

TripletDaddy 08-13-2008 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 252076)
Can you imagine the disappointment there will be if he falters in one these last three races?

As long as he ties Spitz, that is fantastic. He easily lays claim to the title of Greatest Swimmer of All Time.

However, you are right...there will be a collective malaise if he "only" wins 6 or 7 Golds in Beijing.

RC Vikings 08-13-2008 05:06 PM

I love the fringe sports that you see in the middle of the morning like rowing and badminton.

Runner Coug 08-13-2008 07:59 PM

I have been enjoying them as well. I was heart broken for Alicia Sacramone last night. I was impressed with her composure, though. I'm sure she just wanted to get the hell out of that arena so she could go have a good cry in private. The pressure on these kids is unbelievable.

As my wife and I have been talking about some of the events, I've caught myself saying "we" when I talk about the Americans. It's cheesy and silly, but for some reason the Olympics really bring out the pride in my country.

I can't wait for the marathons. If Ryan Hall can get to the medal podium, it would be an incredible moment for American distance running.

Gidget 08-13-2008 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RC Vikings (Post 252088)
I love the fringe sports that you see in the middle of the morning like rowing and badminton.

Badminton is bad-ass - I cannot believe how incredible the Chinese are at this sport. We have DVR'ed all the events so far, and I must say I was pleasantly surprised watching badminton. I used to play in my back-yard in high school all the time, but the level of competition in Beijing is out of this world.

il Padrino Ute 08-13-2008 08:15 PM

Quote:

I really liked seeing those huge murals of athletes all over the city and I enjoy seeing the Olympic cauldron each time I go see the Utes play a home game.

I do have to admit that it was a real pain in the hiney when I needed to go downtown and at times I wished that the residents who needed to go into the city would be allowed to park wherever they wanted in order to go about business. But overall, it was a tremendous feeling of civic pride to know that the entire world was focused on SLC for the 2 or 3 weeks that the Olympics were here. It was even better than when the Jazz were in the Finals in '97 and '98.

Coach McGuirk 08-13-2008 08:52 PM

speaking of phelps, what the hell is in the water in Beijing? I have never seen so many records broken. They are breaking the record in every event, multiple times in prelims.

They should test the water.

TripletDaddy 08-13-2008 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk (Post 252222)
speaking of phelps, what the hell is in the water in Beijing? I have never seen so many records broken. They are breaking the record in every event, multiple times in prelims.

Swimmers are doping.

OR

all the swimmers this year as super amazing athletes that dedicate themselves and train hard, thus breaking world records every single day of these Olympics.

cougjunkie 08-13-2008 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk (Post 252222)

Most are saying it is the new suits they have. They are completely lazer seamed so that no stitches are used at all.

Coach McGuirk 08-13-2008 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 252225)
Swimmers are doping.

OR

all the swimmers this year as super amazing athletes that dedicate themselves and train hard, thus breaking world records every single day of these Olympics.

It is just crazy to see a world record fall, and half the field finished under the old record time. Just saying.

TripletDaddy 08-13-2008 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougjunkie (Post 252226)
Most are saying it is the new suits they have. They are completely lazer seamed so that no stitches are used at all.

Is this the first week these suits are being used around the planet?

TripletDaddy 08-13-2008 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk (Post 252227)
It is just crazy to see a world record fall, and half the field finished under the old record time. Just saying.

My poorly veiled answer: dopers.

Flystripper 08-13-2008 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 252232)
My poorly veiled answer: dopers.

Phelps has asked that they run extra tests on his blood. Tests that are not required by the Olympic committee.

SteelBlue 08-13-2008 09:19 PM

Quote:

Me too. I have so many great memories from the '84 games and that was where I really got hooked on watching swimming. There was no year round swim team where I grew up so I never got to swim competitively but I put my son in as soon as I could afford it and I've never regretted it. I love the Olympics because swimming gets so much love.

I also love the Track and Field events, volleyball, bball and even gymnastics. The Summer Olympics are a little slice of sports heaven every 4 years.

SteelBlue 08-13-2008 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flystripper (Post 252253)
Phelps as asked that they run extra tests on his blood. Tests that are not required by the Olympic committee.

I get USA swimming's magazine every month. Twice each year they list the top 16 times swum in every age group in every event. At the top of that list is the fastest time ever swum for that age in every event. You see Michael Phelps's name in that slot in a ridiculous number of events from about age 13 up. He has dominated the sport since he was 12 years old. He was an Olympian and actually made the finals in the 200 fly at age 15. In the sport of men's swimming that's insane. If he's doping he's been doping his whole life. I just think he's one of those freaks that comes along once in a lifetime who has everything that's needed to dominate.

TripletDaddy 08-13-2008 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flystripper (Post 252253)
Phelps as asked that they run extra tests on his blood. Tests that are not required by the Olympic committee.

Dara Torres did this, too.

There is a clever strategy involved here....

Dopers often use substances like the cream and the clear....illegal, but unknown, so not technically on a list of banned substances.

By volunteering for blood testing a few months ago, Dara was being shrewd.

If nothing comes up on the test, she can continue to use the designer dope without much fear.

If the test turns up the foreign substance, she can deny knowing how it got there and then simply get clean before the games. She won't be disciplined because the designer dope is not on the list of banned substances. Also, I believe I read that voluntary testing is not actionable.

It would be interesting to note whether Phelps asked for these tests this week or last month. I have no clue.

I hope he isnt a doper. After all, Spitz also broke 7 WRs in one week, and that was 27 years ago, when designer dope was likely tough to come by...so being clean is definitely possible.

But too many of them are smashing records this week.....no way they are all clean.

Wasnt there a Spanish cyclist who was busted this past week for doping in the Olympics?

Coach McGuirk 08-13-2008 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 252254)
Me too. I have so many great memories from the '84 games...

Living in Southern California at the time at age 11, my favorite memory of the 84 games? gouging McDonalds for the gold, silver, bronze game that they had going. When the USSR backed out we all won so many free freaking big macs I was eating there for months.

Flystripper 08-13-2008 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 252261)

Dopers often use substances like the cream and the clear....illegal, but unknown, so not technically on a list of banned substances.

If nothing comes up on the test, she can continue to use the designer dope without much fear.

If the test turns up the foreign substance, she can deny knowing how it got there and then simply get clean before the games. She won't be disciplined because the designer dope is not on the list of banned substances. Also, I believe I read that voluntary testing is not actionable.

It would be interesting to note whether Phelps asked for these tests this week or last month. I have no clue.

I hope he isnt a doper. After all, Spitz also broke 7 WRs in one week, and that was 27 years ago, when designer dope was likely tough to come by...so being clean is definitely possible.

But too many of them are smashing records this week.....no way they are all clean.

Wasnt there a Spanish cyclist who was busted this past week for doping in the Olympics?

Dara Torres also asked that they save her blood for any future tests that they come up with.

Coach McGuirk 08-13-2008 09:31 PM

Quote:

The good thing that the IOC is doing now is keeping samples for 8 years. That way if what you were taking becomes detectable, they strip you of your results and medals. Of course you have already been celebrated for years adn made your money, so what is the real cost but shame.

Runner Coug 08-13-2008 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk (Post 252264)
Living in Southern California at the time at age 11, my favorite memory of the 84 games? gouging McDonalds for the gold, silver, bronze game that they had going. When the USSR backed out we all won so many free freaking big macs I was eating there for months.

Speaking of that, I was on my mission during the Olympics in '92. One lovely young lady that worked at the 7-11 we frequented gave us a pile of game cards for an Olympic matching game that 7-11 was sponsoring. We must have had 1000 of them. We ate free hot dogs and Big Gulps for a few weeks.

TripletDaddy 08-13-2008 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flystripper (Post 252266)
Dara Torres also asked that they save her blood for any future tests that they come up with.

Again, amigo, I hope they are all clean.

The numbers seem fishy, though. And we have a history of cheating/drugs in almost every major sport.....as well as in the Olympics.

Generally speaking, world records dont fall en masse. And I dont care how well laser stiched a swimsuit may be.

Runner Coug 08-13-2008 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 252281)
The numbers seem fishy, though. And we have a history of cheating/drugs in almost every major sport.....as well as in the Olympics.

I agree. It's pretty ridiculous when the 4th and 5th place finishers also break the existing WR. I find it hard to believe that because their suits aren't sewn together, it reduces drag enough to shatter a WR by 5 seconds. But I don't follow swimming at all, so I don't claim to know what I'm talking about.

Gidget 08-13-2008 10:39 PM

Quote:

I did hear about Torres being heckled for asking for more tests. Btu I din't know the info. on designer dope, so thank you. I really hope that Phelps isn't doping, that would really wipe out all the reasons why I posted this thread to begin with. You think he would given all the hype around him, and not to mention the lack or privacy? Again, I would be so sad if he was.

TripletDaddy 08-13-2008 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gidget (Post 252409)
I did hear about Torres being heckled for asking for more tests. Btu I din't know the info. on designer dope, so thank you. I really hope that Phelps isn't doping, that would really wipe out all the reasons why I posted this thread to begin with. You think he would given all the hype around him, and not to mention the lack or privacy? Again, I would be so sad if he was.

No worries, Gidget.

I am with you on this one.....I am going on record today to say that Michael Phelps is simply a freak of nature. He is the Halley's Comet of swimming and we are witnessing history this week.

TripletDaddy 08-13-2008 11:02 PM

Anyone else notice that of the 10 Golds the entire US contingency has earned thus far, half of them come from Michael Phelps? And he will likely add more in the next day.

Gidget 08-13-2008 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 252424)
Anyone else notice that of the 10 Golds the entire US contingency has earned thus far, half of them come from Michael Phelps? And he will likely add more in the next day.

Our family was just talking about this! Yes he IS a freak of nature I, for one, join you - I think he was born to do this, no drugs, no dope, it cannot be explained.

Coach McGuirk 08-13-2008 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gidget (Post 252428)
Our family was just talking about this! Yes he IS a freak of nature I, for one, join you - I think he was born to do this, no drugs, no dope, it cannot be explained.

I like it. Same way I feel about Armstrong.

And I am not really questioning Phelps, its the 4 other dudes that all break the world record with him. It's everyone else that is cheating. GO AMERICA!

il Padrino Ute 08-13-2008 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 252424)

Perhaps that is because the first few days of the Olympics has been loaded with swimming events.

Wait until they get to the cap busting events. The US will sweep 'em all.