cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Politics (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Could we get Pastor Wright a reality TV show (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18930)

Archaea 04-28-2008 09:29 PM

Could we get Pastor Wright a reality TV show

until the second week in November and select his guests for him.

We could start with Spike Lee, and a lot of angry folk. Perhaps the kid who killed his CO in Kuwait a few weeks back.

Pastor Wright could explain how that was a big misunderstanding, and how damn awful America is to blame.

il Padrino Ute 04-28-2008 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 214439)

We could start with Spike Lee, and a lot of angry folk. Perhaps the kid who killed his CO in Kuwait a few weeks back.

Pastor Wright could explain how that was a big misunderstanding, and how damn awful America is to blame.

I think a talk show would better suit the good reverend. He could have Sharpton to be his Ed McMahon.

ChinoCoug 04-28-2008 09:43 PM

Quote:

he can help you with your Greek too, he's a Bible scholar.

il Padrino Ute 04-28-2008 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 214461)

This is not surprising, as there are all kinds of examples of bigotry and hatred in the Good Book.

Archaea 04-28-2008 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 214461)

I doubt that. He doesn't sound too scholarly to me.

UtahDan 04-28-2008 10:09 PM

Quote:

I want Dave Chappell made up as a white man.

il Padrino Ute 04-28-2008 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UtahDan (Post 214514)
I want Dave Chappell made up as a white man.

The trouble with that is that Chappelle is just having fun and isn't serious.

Wright needs guests who believe in his cause. Like Farakan.

ChinoCoug 04-29-2008 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 214502)
I doubt that. He doesn't sound too scholarly to me.

he knows like 5 languages, has a DDiv from UChicago. He's actually as well-respected liberation theologian.

Archaea 04-29-2008 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 214640)
he knows like 5 languages, has a DDiv from UChicago. He's actually as well-respected liberation theologian.

Show me his stuff so that I can judge. I've been reading enough theology to see who is good and who is caca. That doesn't mean I'm a theologian, but it does mean I'm getting to the point of spotting the quacks.

"Liberation" theology sounds wacky.

Five whole languages? That depends upon level of fluency and understanding. When will English be one of his languages?

myboynoah 04-29-2008 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 214640)

Exactly. We are not being fair.

Archaea 04-29-2008 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myboynoah (Post 214649)
Exactly. We are not being fair.

Does that mean he can condemn "God damned America" in five languages?

So here's what I've found according to Wikipedia:

Quote:

From 1959 to 1961, Wright attended Virginia Union University,[1] in Richmond. Inspired by President John F. Kennedy's 1961 challenge to "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country," Wright gave up his student deferment, left college and joined the United States Marine Corps and became part of the 2nd Marine Division with the rank of private first class. In 1963, after two years of service, Wright then transferred to the United States Navy and entered the Corpsman School at the Great Lakes Naval Training Center, where he graduated as valedictorian.[9] Having excelled in corpsman school, Wright was then trained as a cardiopulmonary technician at the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda, Maryland where he graduated as salutatorian.[9] Wright was assigned as part of the medical team charged with care of President Lyndon B. Johnson (see photo of Wright caring for Johnson after his 1966 surgery). Before leaving the position in 1967, the White House awarded Wright three letters of commendation.[10][11][12]
In 1967 Wright enrolled at Howard University in Washington, D.C., where he earned a bachelor's degree in 1968 and a master’s degree in English in 1969. He also earned a master's degree from the University of Chicago Divinity School.[9] Wright holds a Doctor of Ministry degree (1990) from the United Theological Seminary in Dayton, Ohio, where he studied under Samuel DeWitt Proctor, a mentor to Martin Luther King.[13]
No mention of his study of language.

His lists of works doesn't seem to make him a New Testament scholar, but I could be missing something. He appears to be more of a "black" activist than a traditional theologian in the classical sense.

Quote:

Works
  • Wright, Jeremiah A. Jr. and Jini Kilgore Ross, What Makes You So Strong?: Sermons of Joy and Strength from Jeremiah A. Wright, Jr., Judson Press, November 1993, ISBN 978-0817011987
  • Wright, Jeremiah A. Jr. and Colleen Birchett, Africans Who Shaped Our Faith (Student Guide), Urban Ministries, Inc., May 1995, ISBN 978-0940955295
  • Wright, Jeremiah A. Jr. and Jini Kilgore Ross, Good News!: Sermons of Hope for Today's Families, Judson Press, December 1995, ISBN 978-0817012366
  • William J. Key, Robert Johnson Smith, Jeremiah A. Wright, Jr. and Robert Johnson-Smith, From One Brother to Another: Voices of African American Men, Judson Press, October 1996, ISBN 978-0817012502
  • Jawanza Kunjufu and Rev. Dr. Jeremiah Wright, Jr., Adam! Where Are You?: Why Most Black Men Don't Go to Church, African American Images, June 1997, ISBN 978-0913543436 (also African American Images, 1994, ISBN B000T6LXPQ)
  • Frank Madison Reid, III, Jeremiah Wright Jr. and Colleen Birchett, When Black Men Stand Up for God: Reflections on the Million Man March, African American Images, December 1997, ISBN 978-0913543481
  • Wright, Jeremiah A. Jr., What Can Happen When We Pray: A Daily Devotional, Augsburg Fortress Publishers, June 2002, ISBN 978-0806634067
  • Wright, Jeremiah A. Jr., From One Brother To Another, Volume 2: Voices of African American Men , Judson Press, January 2003, ISBN 978-0817013622
  • Iva E. Carruthers (Editor), Frederick D. Haynes III (Editor), Jeremiah A. Wright Jr. (Editor), Blow the Trumpet in Zion!: Global Vision and Action for the 21st Century Black Church, Augsburg Fortress Publishers, January 2005, ISBN 978-0800637125
  • Ernest R. Flores and Jeremiah A. Wright Jr., Tempted to Leave the Cross: Renewing the Call to Discipleship, Judson Press, November 2007, ISBN 978-0817015244
  • Wright, Jeremiah A, Jr. (2004), "Doing black theology in the black church", p 13-23, 213-214. In Linda E. Thomas (Ed.), Living Stones in the Household of God: The Legacy and Future of Black Theology, Minneapolis: Fortress. ISBN 0-8006-3627-9
  • Wright, Jeremiah. "Here I am, send me". In Awakened to a calling: reflections on the vocation of ministry, Ann M. Svennungsen and Melissa Wiginton (Eds.), Nashville: Abingdon Press, c2005. ISBN 0687053900
  • Wright, Jeremiah. "In the lord's house, on the Lord's day". In Awakened to a calling: reflections on the vocation of ministry, Ann M. Svennungsen and Melissa Wiginton (Eds.), Nashville: Abingdon Press, c2005. ISBN 0687053900
  • Jeremiah A. Wright, Jr., "Music as Cultural Expression in Black Church Theology and Worship," Journal of Black Sacred Music 3, 1 (1) (Spring 1989).
Wright has written several books and is featured on Wynton Marsalis's album The Majesty of the Blues, where he recites a spoken word piece written by Stanley Crouch, and on the Odyssey Channel series Great Preachers.[50][51]

ChinoCoug 04-29-2008 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 214643)
Show me his stuff so that I can judge. I've been reading enough theology to see who is good and who is caca. That doesn't mean I'm a theologian, but it does mean I'm getting to the point of spotting the quacks.

"Liberation" theology sounds wacky.

Five whole languages? That depends upon level of fluency and understanding. When will English be one of his languages?

I'm not that interested in that stuff but there's a couple of chapters on liberation theology in Paulsen's new book.

Archaea 04-29-2008 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 214653)
I'm not that interested in that stuff but there's a couple of chapters on liberation theology in Paulsen's new book.

Is it that Marxist stuff from Jean Bertrand Aristide?

So Obama's chief personal advisor for the past twenty years is a Marxist?! Great. Just what we need in the White House, an anti-American Marxist.

ChinoCoug 04-29-2008 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 214651)
Does that mean he can condemn "God damned America" in five languages?

So here's what I've found according to Wikipedia:

No mention of his study of language.

His lists of works doesn't seem to make him a New Testament scholar, but I could be missing something. He appears to be more of a "black" activist than a traditional theologian in the classical sense.

You seem to read select topics instead of textbooks, that's why you miss out on something as basic as liberation theology. It's in Raymond Brown's NT intro, it's in Paulsen's book, it's in Brugeerman OT theology intro.

A Div degree is more a professional degree, but these are the language reqs at this alma mater.

http://divinity.uchicago.edu/degree/...shtml#language

Here is mention of Wright's languages:
http://cbs3.com/topstories/wright.bl....2.710109.html

il Padrino Ute 04-29-2008 04:19 AM

Liberation theology is really nothing more than using the pulpit to spew political hatred and get a congregation pissed off.

il Padrino Ute 04-29-2008 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 214662)
Here is mention of Wright's languages:
http://cbs3.com/topstories/wright.bl....2.710109.html

What languages does he speak? That only says that he speaks 5 languages but doesn't list them.

Archaea 04-29-2008 04:23 AM

somebody else:

Quote:

The Rev. Wendell Anthony, president of the Detroit branch of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, stirred the crowd with an animated introduction to Wright. He let the audience know, among other things, that Wright speaks five languages and is an Egyptologist, writer, author, family man and "innovator and sustainer of the word of God."
Well somebody could say that about me, and it wouldn't be true. I imagine I could go on JSTOR and not find him among the Egyptologists. He seems to be a professional liberationists, or Marxist grooming politicians.

What little I've read sounds more like politics than classical theology. He doesn't even sound like a counselor that many professional clergy become.

No wonder Obama would be attracted to a Marxist politician instead of a true clergyman.

Archaea 04-29-2008 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 214677)
What languages does he speak? That only says that he speaks 5 languages but doesn't list them.

Well they might mean since he's a world renowned Egyptologist that Egyptian is one, although typically most don't consider deciphering Egyptian as speaking it. I deciphered a few lines from the Book of the Dead, does that mean I speak it? Of course not.

I've read a bit of ancient Greek, but do I have any certifications a la Solon or Chapel Hill? Of course not, and so forth.

To truly master and speak another language can require a lifetime of study and devotion. To master five can be done, if one stays within the Romance languages and adds a Germanic language.

However, try mastering a Germanic, a couple of Romance, some Semitic languages, and some Asian languages and the brain goes almost haywire.

Given the fact that Pastor Wright toured with wacko Louis and Ghadafi, one might imagine he's studied Arabic. In light of his Marxist tendencies, loathing of America, would you be surprised if he didn't study Arabic, Russian, Korean and some others?

The Chicago Divinity School doesn't specify which languages are necessary for nonbiblical studies, only that Greek and Hebrew are required for studies of biblical studies.

il Padrino Ute 04-29-2008 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 214679)
Well they might mean since he's a world renowned Egyptologist that Egyptian is one, although typically most don't consider deciphering Egyptian as speaking it. I deciphered a few lines from the Book of the Dead, does that mean I speak it? Of course not.

I've read a bit of ancient Greek, but do I have any certifications a la Solon or Chapel Hill? Of course not, and so forth.

To truly master and speak another language can require a lifetime of study and devotion. To master five can be done, if one stays within the Romance languages and adds a Germanic language.

However, try mastering a Germanic, a couple of Romance, some Semitic languages, and some Asian languages and the brain goes almost haywire.

Given the fact that Pastor Wright toured with wacko Louis and Ghadafi, one might imagine he's studied Arabic. In light of his Marxist tendencies, loathing of America, would you be surprised if he didn't study Arabic, Russian, Korean and some others?

I'm actually going to give him the benefit of doubt when it comes to Pig-Latin. So there's one.

Your comment about Egyptian reminds me about the time I was introduced to an opera diva back in my school days. She claimed that she spoke 4 foreign languages - Italian, French, Spanish and German. So I started to speak Italian to her and she had a blank Homer Simpson stare on her face. When I asked her what the problem was, she said she had no idea what I was saying. I told her it was Italian and she then said that the only Italian she spoke was the Italian sung in operas.

LOL!

She was good at memorizing the Italian words to operas, but didn't speak it. Perhaps that's the good Reverend's idea of speaking a language?

Archaea 04-29-2008 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 214682)
I'm actually going to give him the benefit of doubt when it comes to Pig-Latin. So there's one.

Your comment about Egyptian reminds me about the time I was introduced to an opera diva back in my school days. She claimed that she spoke 4 foreign languages - Italian, French, Spanish and German. So I started to speak Italian to her and she had a blank Homer Simpson stare on her face. When I asked her what the problem was, she said she had no idea what I was saying. I told her it was Italian and she then said that the only Italian she spoke was the Italian sung in operas.

LOL!

She was good at memorizing the Italian words to operas, but didn't speak it. Perhaps that's the good Reverend's idea of speaking a language?

And I reviewed his Divinity School's requirements. It merely requires a High Pass on linguistic proficiency. If you know anything about grad schools and their requirements for proficiency, it really is a joke.

You have some gifted such as Solon or AA, or Babs, who can truly amaze you. On the other hand, I've met many a grad student who had "passed" their proficiency exam in German and in French, only to suck a hundred times worse than I. Needless to say I was unimpressed.

Of course, too few enjoy linguistic acquisition and mastery. It's a process not something certified by high pass in proficiency. It's a labor of love. Sadly I don't believe I'll ever gain any mastery in any of them.

Mastering grammar, syntax, accent, music, literature, delivery, cultural knowledge and appearance requires so much intensity, one would have little time for anything else. I remember listening to one missionary being jealous of his accent and Satzbetonung, only to be dazzled by another's vocabulary and yet another's knowledge of culture. IOW, I had little and everybody had a lot. I felt like Salieri, or whatever his name is or was.

il Padrino Ute 04-29-2008 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 214684)
And I reviewed his Divinity School's requirements. It merely requires a High Pass on linguistic proficiency. If you know anything about grad schools and their requirements for proficiency, it really is a joke.

You have some gifted such as Solon or AA, or Babs, who can truly amaze you. On the other hand, I've met many a grad student who had "passed" their proficiency exam in German and in French, only to suck a hundred times worse than I. Needless to say I was unimpressed.

Of course, too few enjoy linguistic acquisition and mastery. It's a process not something certified by high pass in proficiency. It's a labor of love.

To be honest, I care very little about how many languages Wright speaks. I care about the hatred he bellows and how Obama has done nothing to convince anyone but his most ardent supporters that he no longer has anything to do with Wright.

Archaea 04-29-2008 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 214685)
To be honest, I care very little about how many languages Wright speaks. I care about the hatred he bellows and how Obama has done nothing to convince anyone but his most ardent supporters that he no longer has anything to do with Wright.

I only enjoy the bad press he generates for Obama.

If we have Obama the terrorist whose best confidant is anti American, hating Marxist, so much the better.

Cali Coug 04-29-2008 05:51 AM

Only on CG could we have two pages of posts debating the merits of Rev. Wright's linguistic abilities, all without an ounce of evidence (not that this particular debate would actually be improved by any evidence).

Carry on.

il Padrino Ute 04-29-2008 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 214709)
Only on CG could we have two pages of posts debating the merits of Rev. Wright's linguistic abilities, all without an ounce of evidence (not that this particular debate would actually be improved by any evidence).

Carry on.

The point is that Wright is a horrendous person and he is one of Obama's mentors. But keep ignoring that, if it makes you feel better about supporting a radical liberal.

ChinoCoug 04-29-2008 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 214717)
The point is that Wright is a horrendous person and he is one of Obama's mentors. But keep ignoring that, if it makes you feel better about supporting a radical liberal.

this thread has nothing to do with Obama. Wright has made it clear he is not Obama's "mentor."

Tex 04-29-2008 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 214736)
this thread has nothing to do with Obama. Wright has made it clear he is not Obama's "mentor."

Sorry, did I miss some sarcasm? Was this meant as a joke?

Archaea 04-29-2008 02:31 PM

Quote:

If Wright's form of Christianity brought Obama to "Christ" is he not a mentor of sorts?

The twisting and contorting Obamaites engage in is completely amusing. You could give Tex lessons.

myboynoah 04-29-2008 02:34 PM

Quote:

I think it's important what Obama has said about Wright's influence on him.

This one is done. As much as Obamaniacs want to blur the ties between the two, it cannot be done. These two are tied at the hip because Obama wanted it that way (until about three months ago).

A constant theme for Dems in the past has been linking Repub candidates with Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson. To quote Rev Wright who was quoting an Iraqi Ambassador, "The chickens have come home to roost."

Archaea 04-29-2008 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myboynoah (Post 214747)

This one is done. As much as Obamaniacs want to blur the ties between the two, it cannot be done. These two are tied at the hip because Obama wanted it that way (until about three months ago).

A constant theme for Dems in the past has been linking Repub candidates with Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson. To quote Rev Wright who was quoting an Iraqi Ambassador, "The chickens have come home to roost."

Another comical thing is that this election has been promoted as the time when the Dems "got religion." It appears it's only phony religion that they got.

Cali Coug 04-29-2008 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 214717)

If Wright only speaks 4 languages, I agree- he is a crazed radical. If he speaks 5, it's all good.

ChinoCoug 04-29-2008 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myboynoah (Post 214747)

So how would what Rev. Wright said translate to policy in an Obama adm?

myboynoah 04-29-2008 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 214776)
So how would what Rev. Wright said translate to policy in an Obama adm?

If I were an Obamaniac that's all I would want to talk about: policy.

This whole fiasco speaks to judgement. Obama bursts onto the scene soothing the masses with his soft rhetoric of change and "yes we can." But who was he? What had he done of consequence? Who does he count as his influencers?

This is about judgement. There is little policy difference between Obama and Clinton, so one gets the same with either one. It's about judgement, and it appears that Obama has got himself a real pickle to deal with. Rev Wright is evidence that Obama comes up lacking in this department.

Tex 04-29-2008 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 214743)
You could give Tex lessons.

That has to be no less than 6 posts in 2 days where you've mentioned my name, Arch. I'm so flattered!

So what is it you are gunning for? President of my fan club? Looking for a autographed photo? A date?

Archaea 04-29-2008 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 214794)
That has to be no less than 6 posts in 2 days where you've mentioned my name, Arch. I'm so flattered!

So what is it you are gunning for? President of my fan club? Looking for a autographed photo? A date?

You are the standard for not seeing the weakness in your political party by which others are judged. Cali has reached a similar status as he runs to defend every perceived slight of Obama, because for him Obama is the Christ.

Cali Coug 04-29-2008 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myboynoah (Post 214792)
If I were an Obamaniac that's all I would want to talk about: policy.

This whole fiasco speaks to judgement. Obama bursts onto the scene soothing the masses with his soft rhetoric of change and "yes we can." But who was he? What had he done of consequence? Who does he count as his influencers?

This is about judgement. There is little policy difference between Obama and Clinton, so one gets the same with either one. It's about judgement, and it appears that Obama has got himself a real pickle to deal with. Rev Wright is evidence that Obama comes up lacking in this department.

Then why isn't it about judgement with McCain and his glowing comments for Rev. Hagee? Or the fact that he accepted Hagee's endorsement?

Cali Coug 04-29-2008 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 214798)
You are the standard for not seeing the weakness in your political party by which others are judged. Cali has reached a similar status as he runs to defend every perceived slight of Obama, because for him Obama is the Christ.

Captain Hyperbole saves the day.

myboynoah 04-29-2008 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 214801)
Then why isn't it about judgement with McCain and his glowing comments for Rev. Hagee? Or the fact that he accepted Hagee's endorsement?

You're not embarrased by this response?

You're a smart guy, Cali. You don't need to do this.

Archaea 04-29-2008 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 214802)
Captain Hyperbole saves the day.

Exaggerate then simplify. It's a political technique.

If we voted, I wager many would place the two of you on the same plane.

Cali Coug 04-29-2008 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myboynoah (Post 214803)
You're not embarrased by this response?

You're a smart guy, Cali. You don't need to do this.

??? I am embarrassed that Wright and Hagee are turning into focal points for the election when neither of them reflect the character of the candidates involved. You're a smart guy, myboynoah. Stop pretending that your posts on Wright are about "judgement," particularly since you are only going to review the "judgement" of one of the two candidates in that context.