cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Introductions (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Outro (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1680)

Anonymous 03-24-2006 03:18 AM

Outro

About me:

My Crappy Blog (for the voyeurs): http://www.bkdunn.com

MBTI Type: INTP
Birth Order: 4th of 4
Blood Type: O+
Eyes: Brn
Hair: Brn
Height: 5'11"
Weight: 175
Right-Handed
Dominant Eye: Left

Favorite Color: Blue

Voting Record (Presidential Elections)
2004: Bednarik
2000: Browne
1996: Browne

Favorite Movie: Unforgiven
Favorite Book: 1984
Favorite (Music) Album: Surfer Rosa

Car: '04 Nissan Titan

Born 3/8/72, Tacoma, Washington. Grew up in Federal Way, Washington. Attended Twin Lakes Elementary School, Lakota Junior High School, Decatur High School (Class of '90). ACT: 32, SAT: 1430. Trustees' Scholar (four years) at BYU. Attended '90-91, lived in Helaman Halls. Two years Germany Dresden Mission (honorably completed). Graduated BYU 1996 with a BA in German (with Honors). Briefly attended masters program at Emerson College in Boston (for an MA in Writing). Lived for 8 months in Twin Falls, Idaho working for a start-up ISP. Moved to San Diego, lived there two years, then spent four years in Orange County. Attended UC-Irvine Graduate School of Management (MBA 2002, Faculty Fellowship, Center for the Research of IT in Organizations Fellowship) (GMAT: 760). Moved to Utah where I still have a house (http://www.mvkayak.com/rent -- not actually currently available though) in the Traverse Mountain development in Lehi. Now living in the Manhattan Financial District, a block south of Wall Street.

Sorry for the awkward meltdown if it's taken as such. It seems like the middle of the bell curve has taken over and I'm probably a few months late at heading off into the sunset. It was a good ride.

Best of luck to all. Enjoy your community.

Good luck with the outcome SoCal. Thanks for the diversion Mike.

L8,

BK

outlier 03-24-2006 03:19 AM

How utterly perfect with the guest thing (i.e., that was me). All right, I'm gone. Fer reals.

o

MikeWaters 03-24-2006 03:48 AM

There was a meltdown? I missed it.

Jeff Lebowski 03-24-2006 04:31 AM

Rats. We've lost a good one.

tooblue 03-24-2006 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters
There was a meltdown? I missed it.

I think we all missed it :?: I guess that's the point. Oh wait I'm likely not smart enough, or wise enough or ... in fact I guess I'm just too dang average minded to figure it out :wink:

I take it to mean he will no longer condescend to converse with what he perceives as the inferior minded majority of this community.

Good luck and fare-the-well, thanks for the writing input.

creekster 03-24-2006 03:22 PM

Does this mean that I have now moved to the MIddle of the bell curve?

EXCELLENT!

tooblue 03-24-2006 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster
Does this mean that I have now moved to the MIddle of the bell curve?

EXCELLENT!

Welcome friend ... be sure to register your pretense at the door!

fusnik11 03-24-2006 03:41 PM

what happened?

o is a great poster here...

its the damn gay discussion isnt it....isnt it....

nice job archaea and too blue, you freaking homophobes...

:wink:

The_Tick 03-24-2006 04:12 PM

Hey outlier...

My wife is a Federal Way Eagle. Class of 89.

MikeWaters 03-24-2006 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fusnik11
what happened?

i personally got tired of the gay discussion. No one is really going to change their minds.

Parrot Head 03-24-2006 04:36 PM

I was actually getting pretty close to changing my orientation, but if you guys are giving up....

tooblue 03-24-2006 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fusnik11
what happened?

I accept full responsability for my actions ... I too am tired of the gay discussions.

SteelBlue 03-24-2006 05:04 PM

Wow. In my entire life I've never been called stupid in such a polite manner! Thanks outlier. :roll:

I will miss o. He was an excellent contributor.

Archaea 03-24-2006 07:00 PM

Please explain what just happened.

Did we lose outlier because we were impolite? Hmmm.

A Utahn in New York who didn't like the cuisine there.

creekster 03-24-2006 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea
Please explain what just happened.

Did we lose outlier because we were impolite? Hmmm.

A Utahn in New York who didn't like the cuisine there.

I gathered it was because he had grown tired of the increasingly pedestrian content of the board. IOW, not because we are rude, but becaseu we are stupid.

I hope this is incorrect, but that's how I read his rather cryptic message. I too would prefer he stay but maybe its good to know at least some people can crack the addiciton.

MikeWaters 03-24-2006 07:37 PM

this feels like a bunch of women sitting around with a big carton of ice cream, sobbing, saying "I thought we were getting along so well!!!"

Man, outlier sure knows how to love them and leave them.

creekster 03-24-2006 08:44 PM

Allow me to clarify. I hope I misinterpreted his message not becasue he apparently thinks we are collectively too far to the middle of the bell curve (as opposed to the sparsley populated end where he presumably dwells) but becasue I think he makes interesting contributions.

That he thinks I am stupid is not unique. Indeed, he would be the last in a long line of people, some of whom are certianly smarter than him (although HE may find that hard to believe). What annoys me is the rather pretentious way he chooses to call us stupid (again assuming I am interpreting this correctly).

It's sort of like he thinks we're too stupid to know he is calling us stupid as long as he calls us stupid in a stupid pseudo-intellectual way. To me, that's just stupid.

Now, quit being so critical and pass the ice cream scooper.

Archaea 03-24-2006 09:20 PM

He was interesting, and potentially intelligent, somewhat amusing.
If one wanted to avoid unintelligent beings, one probably would avoid all lawyers, and sportsboards.

This begs the next question: what prompts somebody to participate actively in any board, then for some reason become unemamoured with the participants, and then declare "Bye, you SOBs, I shall not return!"

It is so middle of the bell curve, it's not even amusing.

MikeWaters 03-24-2006 09:38 PM

I'm still not getting that he called us stupid. Maybe I am too stupid to get it.

I like clarity of expression. Without another post on his part, I'm going to assume he pretty much thinks we rock.

creekster 03-24-2006 09:43 PM

Quote:

I'm still not getting that he called us stupid. Maybe I am too stupid to get it.

I like clarity of expression. Without another post on his part, I'm going to assume he pretty much thinks we rock.

Like I said, I don't care if he calls us stupid, as long as it isn't pretentious and silly. If wrong and he hasn't intended to call us stupid, then maybe I AM stupid and I iwll say, in my best Roseanne Roseannadanna vocie, "Nevermind."

Jeff Lebowski 03-24-2006 10:44 PM

Quote:

Well, I like to think that he wasn't thinking of me with the "middle of the bell curve" comment. I am pretty sure he meant Lingo.

Anonymous 03-24-2006 11:35 PM

Darn straight. I consider 123 posts a hostile takeover.

:)

JohnnyLingo 03-24-2006 11:36 PM

Also, I was logged in for that last post, I swear. :oops:

Robin 03-25-2006 02:44 PM

Damn! I am such a wuss.

Props to Outlier, who undoubtedly has more strength in his convictions than I.

Jeff Lebowski 03-25-2006 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo
Also, I was logged in for that last post, I swear. :oops:

See what I mean? That's just the middle-of-the-bell-curve kind of thinking I am talking about. Now, if you were a true intellectual outlier like Outlier and had all those swell test scores he documented for us, this never would have happened.

Robin 03-25-2006 03:17 PM

Outlier makes an interesting distinction between 'community' and 'diversion.'

There are plenty of regulars here that probably view CG and CB as community. There are plenty of other regulars who see it all as a diversion.

My own 'meltdown' was realization that this place would probably never be a communtiy for me. I was interested in community, and didn't want to waste my time with diversions. But diversions come and diversions go. Community lasts.

Creekster wrote (during my 'meltdown'):

Quote:

I enjoy CG and CB, but I have to say the only thing I find troubling about this whole episode is that you are talking about the whole experience like you were banished from your house when in fact you were only prevented from particiapting in a small portion of a website whose only purpose is to host messages between a semi-anonymous group of sports fans.
That was the moment I realized that Creekster was right, and I had been the fool. I had thought that I was participating in a 'community,' when people like Creekster and Outlier, and probably most of the 'regulars' saw it all as an elaborate diversion. I was imagining a 'five-year meet-and-greet' in arches national park, and others were thinking of it all as cigarette break at work.

Good luck in NY, Outlier, and I hope you get that killer Minesweeper score you always wanted.