cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Happy for Crowton (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15674)

MikeWaters 01-08-2008 03:39 AM

Happy for Crowton

He called a helluva game. He must be living right, finally.

:)

YOhio 01-08-2008 03:41 AM

Amen. He can again be called an offensive genius.

MikeWaters 01-08-2008 03:43 AM

Maybe if Anae goes to Hawaii, Crowton will come back home as OC.

YOhio 01-08-2008 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 171553)
Maybe if Anae goes to Hawaii, Crowton will come back home as OC.

I bet GC hates Bronco for blaming all of the losses on those sweet Jets-type uniforms Crowton designed.

myboynoah 01-08-2008 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 171556)
I bet GC hates Bronco for blaming all of the losses on those sweet Jets-type uniforms Crowton designed.

Forget the record, forget the annual sex scandals, forget losing BO, he got fired for those butt-ugly uniforms. That whole era was messed up.

Indy Coug 01-08-2008 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 171556)

Crowton designed? They showed up two years before LaVell retired.

YOhio 01-08-2008 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 171568)

Not the ones he used his last year with white on the sleeves. IIRC, Crowton and a few players were involved in the design. I don't have link though, so you'll just have to trust me.

Archaea 01-08-2008 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 171568)

Don't confuse us with facts.

YOhio 01-08-2008 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myboynoah (Post 171563)
Forget the record, forget the annual sex scandals, forget losing BO, he got fired for those butt-ugly uniforms. That whole era was messed up.

You must be thinking of different uniforms. These were sweet.

http://justanotherdumb.com/byu/2004/...ollie_2004.jpg

ute4ever 01-08-2008 04:06 AM

It's still a shame that the Academy overlooked Crowton's performance in The R.M.

Indy Coug 01-08-2008 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 171573)
Not the ones he used his last year with white on the sleeves. IIRC, Crowton and a few players were involved in the design. I don't have link though, so you'll just have to trust me.

Oh, THAT iteration.

Jeff Lebowski 01-08-2008 04:24 AM

Yeah, good for him. His stock has to be sky-high right now.

SeattleUte 01-08-2008 05:19 AM

The only thing BM has over Crowton is luck, and the maturing of Crowton's athletes. BYU bet on the wrong horse.

Indy Coug 01-08-2008 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 171602)
The only thing BM has over Crowton is luck, and the maturing of Crowton's athletes. BYU bet on the wrong horse.

Who was the right horse?

SeattleUte 01-08-2008 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 171603)
Who was the right horse?

Crowton.

Indy Coug 01-08-2008 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 171604)
Crowton.

At least you didn't say Whittingham.

The Borg 01-08-2008 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 171588)
Yeah, good for him. His stock has to be sky-high right now.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him get some offers for another head coachng gig somewhere.

NorCal Cat 01-08-2008 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Borg (Post 171611)
I wouldn't be surprised to see him get some offers for another head coachng gig somewhere.

Agree. Les Miles just gave him major props on SportsCenter also. He said Crowton did a great job as a first year OC with LSU in the way he built upon, and tweaked the LSU offense, and implemented some new wrinkles.

cougjunkie 01-08-2008 12:56 PM

LSU lost their starting quarterback from last year who went number 1 overall in the draft, they also lost their leading reciever who decided to run track instead of play football, and yet they still had their best offensive output in team history. Crowton did a great job this year.

Indy Coug 01-08-2008 12:59 PM

They have most of their receivers, TEs and running backs back next year (except for Doucet and Hester). If Perriloux is ready to step in for Flynn, they should be explosive next year too.

BYU71 01-08-2008 01:44 PM

Crowton may have not been a good fit for BYU as head coach and I am not sure he would be a good head coach. He is a good offensive coordinator.

It is funny how BYU fans thought he was a lousy OC. Of course they have a good track record. They thought Chow was lousy too.

MikeWaters 01-08-2008 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYU71 (Post 171651)
Crowton may have not been a good fit for BYU as head coach and I am not sure he would be a good head coach. He is a good offensive coordinator.

It is funny how BYU fans thought he was a lousy OC. Of course they have a good track record. They thought Chow was lousy too.

Two more years and Anae will be the new Ken Schmidt.

Goatnapper'96 01-08-2008 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 171548)
He called a helluva game. He must be living right, finally.

:)

Crowton is a genuinely a great OC. I still maintain he is a better HC than he demonstrated at BYU, but he is still not a very good HC. I am happy for the guy and even happier for BYU fans!

MikeWaters 01-08-2008 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 (Post 171676)
Crowton is a genuinely a great OC. I still maintain he is a better HC than he demonstrated at BYU, but he is still not a very good HC. I am happy for the guy and even happier for BYU fans!

I am happy that Crowton was able to achieve something with LSU that he would never have achieved at BYU, if he had coached here for 30 years.

BYU71 01-08-2008 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 171682)
I am happy that Crowton was able to achieve something with LSU that he would never have achieved at BYU, if he had coached here for 30 years.

I am not so sure. If Crowton could have done a better job at training his recruits on how not to get caught, he may have eventually assembled enough talent in the next 30 years to achieve the level he just achieved. Remember, he wasn't the head coach in that game, he was the OC.

Goatnapper'96 01-08-2008 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 171682)

That is why BYU is meant for stringpullers such as yourself. There is an immovable ceiling on BYU's ability for success and you can sit and crow about it despite your documented defeciencies of not understanding college football as well as others. ;)

BYU = Good for Mike Waters.
LSU = Good for Gary Crowton.

Goatnapper'96 01-08-2008 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYU71 (Post 171690)
I am not so sure. If Crowton could have done a better job at training his recruits on how not to get caught, he may have eventually assembled enough talent in the next 30 years to achieve the level he just achieved. Remember, he wasn't the head coach in that game, he was the OC.

I am sure he couldn't ever put together a team at BYU that good.

MikeWaters 01-08-2008 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 (Post 171700)
That is why BYU is meant for stringpullers such as yourself. There is an immovable ceiling on BYU's ability for success and you can sit and crow about it despite your documented defeciencies of not understanding college football as well as others. ;)

BYU = Good for Mike Waters.
LSU = Good for Gary Crowton.

If the one crack in my armor, is that I said Patterson had more cache as a coach back in early fall 2006, that is like taking a magnifying glass to a plate of steel and finding that a drop of lemon juice has discolored a 1mm x 1mm spot.

What I said then was absolutely true.

I have highlighted the weakness of the current Bronco regime: stubbornness, poor adjustment, and not excellent game-planning. His strength is in getting the team unified, executing well, and being mentally tough.

This formula will serve him well against inferior teams, but will lead to problems really taking BYU to the next level.

Just my opinion. Of course, given the current scheduling, we may never have a game against the "next level" so it's all moot anyway.

Goatnapper'96 01-08-2008 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 171713)
If the one crack in my armor, is that I said Patterson had more cache as a coach back in early fall 2006, that is like taking a magnifying glass to a plate of steel and finding that a drop of lemon juice has discolored a 1mm x 1mm spot.

What I said then was absolutely true.

I have highlighted the weakness of the current Bronco regime: stubbornness, poor adjustment, and not excellent game-planning. His strength is in getting the team unified, executing well, and being mentally tough.

This formula will serve him well against inferior teams, but will lead to problems really taking BYU to the next level.

Just my opinion. Of course, given the current scheduling, we may never have a game against the "next level" so it's all moot anyway.

It kills me when people point out that somehow BYU struggling against better teams validates their in depth analysis. No shit BYU struggles against teams with better football players. So far Mister Waters has blessed us with two rock solid conclusions about college football.

1.) Bronco Mendenhall cannot hold Gary Patterson's jock. - Uh that one makes Gary Genius look like COL Red Freaking Blaik as far as grasping the landscape of college football....Oh nellie its a fumble!

2.) BYU struggles, due to uhhhhh system shortcomings, when playing teams with better football players than theirs.

Brilliant my man, purely brilliant!

Archaea 01-08-2008 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 (Post 171722)
It kills me when people point out that somehow BYU struggling against better teams validates their in depth analysis. No shit BYU struggles against teams with better football players. So far Mister Waters has blessed us with two rock solid conclusions about college football.

1.) Bronco Mendenhall cannot hold Gary Patterson's jock. - Uh that one makes Gary Genius look like COL Red Freaking Blaik as far as grasping the landscape of college football....Oh nellie its a fumble!

2.) BYU struggles, due to uhhhhh system shortcomings, when playing teams with better football players than theirs.

During the last two championship games, I can note that Jim Tressel doesn't have what it takes, even though he has won one national championship, because he doesn't make game adjustments, and his team struggles against teams with equal or better athletes.

MikeWaters 01-08-2008 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 (Post 171722)

One word for you: Tulsa.

Bronco was owned in that game. Absolutely owned.

Indy Coug 01-08-2008 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 171724)
During the last two championship games, I can note that Jim Tressel doesn't have what it takes, even though he has won one national championship, because he doesn't make game adjustments, and his team struggles against teams with equal or better athletes.

Are you seriously going to bash on Tressel? If you're going to bash on Tressel, that leaves about two coaches in the entire cosmos that have what it takes.

P.S. Since he won a national title in 2002, how did he come to lose what it takes after at one time possessing it?

Indy Coug 01-08-2008 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 171727)

LOL. We're going to determine coaching quality by their worst games? Who's left standing after that nimrod approach?

Goatnapper'96 01-08-2008 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 171727)

One word in a season of thirteen words for opponents ain't all bad in my book. Exactly where does Tulsa of 2007 compare to SMU in 2005?

Even in Bronco's lowpoints he still owns the guy whose jock he couldn't carry.

MikeWaters 01-08-2008 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 (Post 171730)
One word in a season of thirteen words for opponents ain't all bad in my book. Exactly where does Tulsa of 2007 compare to SMU in 2005?

Even in Bronco's lowpoints he still owns the guy whose jock he couldn't carry.

SDSU vs. SMU. That's a tough one to determine which is worse.

Patterson's high points are undeniably higher than Bronco's. Do I need to spell it out, or will you graciously agree?

Goatnapper'96 01-08-2008 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 171742)
SDSU vs. SMU. That's a tough one to determine which is worse.

Patterson's high points are undeniably higher than Bronco's. Do I need to spell it out, or will you graciously agree?

Patterson has also had many more years as a head coach. Patterson did beat OU. That was a huge win. He also had a better run with 3 double digit win seasons out of 4 or 4 out of 5. That also was impressive. However, his performance the past two years has me convinced that much of his double digit win runs was inflated by playing in the worst 1-A conference.

In the end this is my honest opinion, Mendenhall is a better head coach. I would like to see what Mendenhall does with the momentum he has built over the next couple of years before coming to any conclusions on whose higher points are higher.

cougjunkie 01-08-2008 04:31 PM

Here is Mikes exact post I believe, now he runs the board so he could have edited it.

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthr...ight=Patterson

Archaea 01-08-2008 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 171728)
Are you seriously going to bash on Tressel? If you're going to bash on Tressel, that leaves about two coaches in the entire cosmos that have what it takes.

P.S. Since he won a national title in 2002, how did he come to lose what it takes after at one time possessing it?

Are you that humor impaired? Do I need a nice emoticon?

I was trying to show Mike how absurd his premises were that Bronco struggled when he met teams of equal or superior athletic ability.

Goatnapper'96 01-08-2008 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougjunkie (Post 171744)
Here is Mikes exact post I believe, now he runs the board so he could have edited it.

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthr...ight=Patterson

Not hold his jock was not an exact quote there, so if Mike never said that mea culpa. However, there is no question that Mister Waters after watching both coaches ply their trade for a certain amount of time came to very a very strong conclusion as to which HC was superior, and since that date it appear that perhaps he was correct. In fact it is not very close, and Waters never picked a winner in the matchup. But most of us know he doesn't say much good about his beloved BYU.

Indy Coug 01-08-2008 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 171747)
Are you that humor impaired? Do I need a nice emoticon?

I was trying to show Mike how absurd his premises were that Bronco struggled when he met teams of equal or superior athletic ability.

Arch, your doom-and-gloom summary judgements in the world of sports leaves me to take your comments as serious by default.