cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   What sports car do you realistically want? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13418)

MikeWaters 10-31-2007 05:04 PM

What sports car do you realistically want?

When I was a young lad, I thought having a 300zx would have been the bomb. For a while, not too long ago, I thought having a 350z would be nice.

I have a friend who is a Porsche collector, and so I thought about getting a somewhat vintage Porsche (mid 80's 911), but I've come to the conclusion that is the rich man's game, not mine.

So now I've come to the pedestrian conclusion that a Chevy Corvette might fit the bill. Not *that* expensive, functional, sporty, decent gas mileage.

il Padrino Ute 10-31-2007 05:07 PM

Realistically? I have no idea, as if I could have any sports car, it would be a 1985 Lamborghini Countach.

I just can't think realistically when it comes to sports cars.

Jeff Lebowski 10-31-2007 05:11 PM

1. Porsche 911 Turbo (about as realistic as the guy on dumb and dumber scoring with the married chick)

2. Porsche 911 Carrera (slightly more realistic, but not bloody likely)

3. Porsche Boxster (somewhat within the realm of possibility)

I would get black in all three cases.

MikeWaters 10-31-2007 05:12 PM

Realism would be getting something like a WRX (4-door) or a Rx-8 (seats 4). Both relatively cheap. Or a Mini-cooper.

K-dog 10-31-2007 05:21 PM

I drive a pretty sporty Mercedes C32 right now. I think realistically, I'm going to replace it with an SL55.

YOhio 10-31-2007 05:21 PM

'83 t-top Camaro Berlinneta.

MikeWaters 10-31-2007 05:24 PM

If Corvette doesn't have enough space, then a used BMW M3.

K-dog 10-31-2007 05:26 PM

M3 isn't bad.

TripletDaddy 10-31-2007 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K-dog (Post 144179)
M3 isn't bad.

Porsche.

There is no substitute.

K-dog 10-31-2007 05:57 PM

Depends on what you want. The first car I ever drove was a 1967 Porsche 912. Fun car. I love Porsche but when it comes to cars, each car is different and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

TripletDaddy 10-31-2007 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K-dog (Post 144226)
Depends on what you want. The first car I ever drove was a 1967 Porsche 912. Fun car. I love Porsche but when it comes to cars, each car is different and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

This is correct. They are loads of fun. Not practical at all. I never thought I would reach a point in my life where 4 doors was a bonus, but I am there now.

You've come a long way, baby!

UtahDan 10-31-2007 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 144163)
When I was a young lad, I thought having a 300zx would have been the bomb. For a while, not too long ago, I thought having a 350z would be nice.

I have a friend who is a Porsche collector, and so I thought about getting a somewhat vintage Porsche (mid 80's 911), but I've come to the conclusion that is the rich man's game, not mine.

So now I've come to the pedestrian conclusion that a Chevy Corvette might fit the bill. Not *that* expensive, functional, sporty, decent gas mileage.

I realistically want a metallic light blue Mustang. It is within my reach, it just isn't practical at this point.

MikeWaters 10-31-2007 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UtahDan (Post 144236)
I realistically want a metallic light blue Mustang. It is within my reach, it just isn't practical at this point.

A new one?

The car that would realistically be in my reach would be something under 25k, which narrows the field quite considerably.

TripletDaddy 10-31-2007 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 144243)
A new one?

The car that would realistically be in my reach would be something under 25k, which narrows the field quite considerably.

You would be surprised. You could get a used 911 for $25K. Maybe a 1999 or so. Those still look sweet.

It isnt so much the cost to acquire, but the high cost of ownership. Insurance, any repair that may pop up, etc..

cougjunkie 10-31-2007 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K-dog (Post 144171)
I drive a pretty sporty Mercedes C32 right now. I think realistically, I'm going to replace it with an SL55.

You forgot to add that it has the AMD package, and that you and your wife have your names sewn in to the head rests with a heart and an arrow through it that says Forever!

:)

UtahDan 10-31-2007 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 144243)
A new one?

Yeah a new, and you could get a nicely equipped one in the 25K range. They are less than you would think. I just went and priced the one I would get online. $26,250.00. And that's sticker price.

K-dog 10-31-2007 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougjunkie (Post 144249)
You forgot to add that it has the AMD package, and that you and your wife have your names sewn in to the head rests with a heart and an arrow through it that says Forever!

:)

AMG

TripletDaddy 10-31-2007 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K-dog (Post 144260)
AMG

K Dog, if you are going to get a C AMG, why not spend a tad more and just get an E, non AMG? more panache that way, no?

Archaea 10-31-2007 06:21 PM

The best overall buy for a sports car is the Porsche 997. Not that expensive, 90k new, and you can get it cheaper if you know how.

The new little Lotus is fun.

The Lambo and Ferrari are fun, but not that practical.

The Swiss Spyker is also a fun car but for people much more well to do than I.

TripletDaddy 10-31-2007 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 144280)
The best overall buy for a sports car is the Porsche 997. Not that expensive, 90k new, and you can get it cheaper if you know how.

The new little Lotus is fun.

The Lambo and Ferrari are fun, but not that practical.

The Swiss Spyker is also a fun car but for people much more well to do than I.

The Lotus strikes me as a kit car. I dont like the looks that much. I preferred the old Esprit styling.

Every Saturday there is an exotics meet and greet here in Irvine. It used to be called the Crystal Cove meet and greet, but was eventually run out of Newport Coast because too many people participated. There were 50-60 exotics showing up in caravan.

It is at these get togethers where I have been able to see and sit in a Bugatti Veyron, Lambo Murcis, the Porsche GT, and a slew of others. It makes your standard 911 look like crap. But lots of fun to check out every now and then.

K-dog 10-31-2007 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 144265)
K Dog, if you are going to get a C AMG, why not spend a tad more and just get an E, non AMG? more panache that way, no?

I like cars. I don't flash them. My C32 is the most fun car to drive that I've ever driven. I debadged it as well. Contrary to popular opinion, I don't flash money.

TripletDaddy 10-31-2007 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K-dog (Post 144317)
I like cars. I don't flash them. My C32 is the most fun car to drive that I've ever driven. I debadged it as well. Contrary to popular opinion, I don't flash money.

If it is any consolation, I assumed that since you lived in Utah, you didnt have much money.

*rimshot*

K-dog 10-31-2007 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 144327)
If it is any consolation, I assumed that since you lived in Utah, you didnt have much money.

*rimshot*

At least I've got that going for me...which is nice.

Archaea 10-31-2007 09:05 PM

I like cars but once I start looking at the high maintenance I figure I can't afford the fees or don't want to for the exotics.

NorCal Cat 10-31-2007 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K-dog (Post 144317)

I don't think anyone would accuse you of flashing your money if you didn't debadge your C class. LOL C class is basically for people that can't afford a real Benzo. I don't know why anyone would waste their money on one, when there are better, faster options available. If all one cares about is having a Benzo though, then so be it. Although I would much rather get a used E500 for the same price as a new C.

NorCal Cat 10-31-2007 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 144163)

The latest Corvette model is dope. If a two-door, two seater was an option for me, I would have considered one. Maybe when all the kid are older that will work.

In the 4-door category, the Audi RS4 is just awesome, expensive too. M3 is a solid choice as well. Although the new M3 is going to put the old one to shame.

K-dog 10-31-2007 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorCal Cat (Post 144438)
I don't think anyone would accuse you of flashing your money if you didn't debadge your C class. LOL C class is basically for people that can't afford a real Benzo. I don't know why anyone would waste their money on one, when there are better, faster options available. If all one cares about is having a Benzo though, then so be it. Although I would much rather get a used E500 for the same price as a new C.

I want them to think it is just a C class. That handles people like you. C32 is an AMG and is a rocket. For performance, there isn't anything with four doors I wouldn't race it against.

TripletDaddy 10-31-2007 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorCal Cat (Post 144439)
The latest Corvette model is dope. If a two-door, two seater was an option for me, I would have considered one. Maybe when all the kid are older that will work.

In the 4-door category, the Audi RS4 is just awesome, expensive too. M3 is a solid choice as well. Although the new M3 is going to put the old one to shame.

Corvettes are awesome.......for me to poop on.

I cant think of a more white trash wannabe sports car than the Corvette.

It is, however, the best bang for your buck of all you care about is horsepower.

Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) made a movie called "Corvette Summer." It had him following around this stolen candy-apple Stingray all over the West. The final scene is a car chase where he drives the Stingray and does a burnout on this deserted section of a Vegas highway while the other car explodes or crashes. I am convinced that it was this movie that ended his career.

Brian 10-31-2007 10:55 PM

This post reminded me of something. I have never wanted a sports car.
Right now I have a very beat up '99 truck and both door locks are broken, so I can never lock it up.
Good thing it looks like a piece of poo and I live a crime free area.
I'm not that into trucks either, it's just useful for hauling hay and stuff from home depot.

hyrum 10-31-2007 10:57 PM

Realistically? Is a Mazda Miata too pedestrian? Actually I guess I'm getting old enough that a Lexus or something like a G35 is appealing.

I wonder what quote the cavemen could get for collision/comprehensive on a Lamborgini?

NorCal Cat 10-31-2007 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K-dog (Post 144440)
I want them to think it is just a C class. That handles people like you. C32 is an AMG and is a rocket. For performance, there isn't anything with four doors I wouldn't race it against.

What's the 0-60 time on that rocket of your's?
Nothing with four doors you wouldn't race it against? You may race it against anything with four doors, but you wouldn't win. No way you beat an RS4.

NorCal Cat 10-31-2007 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 144448)

It is, however, the best bang for your buck of all you care about is horsepower.

Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) made a movie called "Corvette Summer." It had him following around this stolen candy-apple Stingray all over the West. The final scene is a car chase where he drives the Stingray and does a burnout on this deserted section of a Vegas highway while the other car explodes or crashes. I am convinced that it was this movie that ended his career.

White trash wannabe sports car? I don't know what the hell you are talking about. A) I have NEVER seen white trash driving one of the new Corvettes. White trash cannot afford the new Vettes B) There is nothing "wannabe" about a Corvette. There is much more to a 'Vette than bang for your buck.

I remember Corvette Summer, LOL.

cougjunkie 10-31-2007 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorCal Cat (Post 144457)
Nothing with four doors you wouldn't race it against? You may race it against anything with four doors, but you wouldn't win. No way you beat an RS4.

A buddy of mine is going down to the big car show in Vegas this weekend. His dad has a 180k Audi that has been featured on the cover of motor trend. It started out as an RS4, but now it has so many modifications its hard to call it that. He wanted it to be Lamborghini Orange so when it was on teh production line they took it off the line and shipped it to the Lamborghini factory, they painted it and then sent it back to Audi to finish it.

This thing is unbelievable, I have a video of Motor Trend test driving it, I will post when I get a minute.

NorCal Cat 10-31-2007 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougjunkie (Post 144461)
A buddy of mine is going down to the big car show in Vegas this weekend. His dad has a 180k Audi that has been featured on the cover of motor trend. It started out as an RS4, but now it has so many modifications its hard to call it that. He wanted it to be Lamborghini Orange so when it was on teh production line they took it off the line and shipped it to the Lamborghini factory, they painted it and then sent it back to Audi to finish it.

This thing is unbelievable, I have a video of Motor Trend test driving it, I will post when I get a minute.

LOL, holy crap! Had it shipped to Lambo for painting! Do post the vid, I gotta see this.

NorCal Cat 10-31-2007 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyrum (Post 144453)
Realistically? Is a Mazda Miata too pedestrian? Actually I guess I'm getting old enough that a Lexus or something like a G35 is appealing.

I wonder what quote the cavemen could get for collision/comprehensive on a Lamborgini?

A Miata is too feminine.

Old enough for G35?! What does that mean? That's what I have.
Although, if I didn't have to deal with car seats, and didn't care about having a back seat, I would not have bought the G.

K-dog 10-31-2007 11:48 PM

Quote:

4.6-4.8 depending on publication.

K-dog 10-31-2007 11:51 PM

Quote:

BTW, look the car up before you start talking crap. 2002 Merc C32 AMG. Sure the RS4 has two more cylinders and 30% more displacement but, even considering that, the C32 would run with it depending on tire slip.

Archaea 11-01-2007 12:06 AM

I prefer the Audi RS6, or the Porsche Turbo. The GT3 ain't bad.

FMCoug 11-01-2007 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyrum (Post 144453)
Realistically? Is a Mazda Miata too pedestrian?

Chick car.

MikeWaters 11-01-2007 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 144448)

You don't read much about cars do you.