cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religious Studies (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   So is the woman spining clockwise or counter-clockwise (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12780)

tooblue 10-14-2007 07:42 PM

So is the woman spining clockwise or counter-clockwise

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...005375,00.html

tooblue 10-14-2007 07:44 PM

A link to an explination ...

http://www.newscientist.com/blog/sho...cing-girl.html

Is it the doughnut or the doughnut hole?

non sequitur 10-14-2007 09:43 PM

The chick is definitely spinning clockwise, but that's not what concerns me. I'm just a little ticked that her form is in shadow. She seems kind of hot, and I wouldn't mind seeing a little skin. And she's spinning too fast. Every time she comes around I keep hoping to get a glimpse of a nipple, but so far I haven't had any luck. TooBlue, could you please repost another spinning-hottie link, but this time one that has a slo-mo feature. Thanks in advance.

Flystripper 10-17-2007 12:55 AM

I saw it as clockwise first but just as I was about to close the browser and respond I saw it as counterclockwise as well.

creekster 10-17-2007 01:53 AM

No matter what all I can see is clockwise rotation.

UtahDan 10-17-2007 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 137365)

Me too. I cannot see counter no matter how hard I try. My wife swears that it is switching every few seconds. Weird.

SteelBlue 10-17-2007 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UtahDan (Post 137367)
Me too. I cannot see counter no matter how hard I try. My wife swears that it is switching every few seconds. Weird.

Started clockwise for me then switched every so often. I thought it was the website yanking my chain, but my wife could see counter while I wise seeing clockwise. Very weird.

Cali Coug 10-17-2007 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 137365)

I was the same way. Try looking at the image out of the corner of your right eye (looking at her feet). For some reason, that shifts it for me every time.

tooblue 10-17-2007 03:10 AM

She starts out counter clockwise for me

I can then change her to clockwise at will, even slowing down the animation and seeing individual frames.

Jeff Lebowski 10-17-2007 06:52 AM

I can't see anything but clockwise.

SteelBlue 10-17-2007 02:20 PM

Ok, now I can make it switch. Switch your gaze to the shadow of the raised foot and then back up to the whole body after a few moments. It works for me every time.

myboynoah 10-17-2007 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 137454)
Ok, now I can make it switch. Switch your gaze to the shadow of the raised foot and then back up to the whole body after a few moments. It works for me every time.

Yeah, that worked for me.

I'm a little bothered to learn that I am now right-brained. I'd always thought of myself as left-brained and heard that right-brained was more feminine (touchy feely). Has Mormonism turned me into some kind of girly-boy?

SoonerCoug 10-17-2007 04:13 PM

Right-brained versus left-brained is an interesting issue.

I think there are actually very few *truly* right-brained people in the world. I'm sure MW knows more about this than I do.

My understanding is that "left brained" is medically defined primarily by location of the speech centers in the brain, and that the ability to speak and understand language is almost always located in the left brain.

There are analogous regions on the right side of the brain that allow someone to speak with emotion and understand emotion during speech.

So if a person has a lesion in the speech center on the left side of the brain, then they would not be able to speak at all. If a person has a lesion in the analogous location on the right side of the brain, they would not be able to speak with any emotion. The same goes for understanding words, versus understanding emotion in words (different area, but same hemisphere as the speech center).

So being truly right brained is much more rare, if the definition is: the speech centers are found on the right side of the brain and the emotion-related center is on the left side.

Here's a quote from wikipedia (sorry BG, but you're not even here, so I don't care): "While 95% of right handers have their language functions in the left hemisphere, only 18.8% of left-handers have their language function lateralized in the right hemisphere. Additionally, 19.8% of left-handers even have bilateral language functions."

I thought it was even more rare to be truly "right brained" than wikipedia claims.

myboynoah 10-17-2007 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoonerCoug (Post 137539)

I think there are actually very few *truly* right-brained people in the world. I'm sure MW knows more about this than I do.

My understanding is that "left brained" is medically defined primarily by location of the speech centers in the brain, and that the ability to speak and understand language is almost always located in the left brain.

There are analogous regions on the right side of the brain that allow someone to speak with emotion and understand emotion during speech.

So if a person has a lesion in the speech center on the left side of the brain, then they would not be able to speak at all. If a person has a lesion in the analogous location on the right side of the brain, they would not be able to speak with any emotion. The same goes for understanding words, versus understanding emotion in words (different area, but same hemisphere as the speech center).

So being truly right brained is much more rare, if the definition is: the speech centers are found on the right side of the brain and the emotion-related center is on the left side.

Here's a quote from wikipedia (sorry BG, but you're not even here, so I don't care): "While 95% of right handers have their language functions in the left hemisphere, only 18.8% of left-handers have their language function lateralized in the right hemisphere. Additionally, 19.8% of left-handers even have bilateral language functions."

I thought it was even more rare to be truly "right brained" than wikipedia claims.

Thank you SC for bringing me back to my left-brainedness. I almost went out and rented Bridges of Madison County.

tooblue 10-17-2007 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoonerCoug (Post 137539)

Another article on this very issue:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...ght-brain.html

SeattleUte 10-17-2007 09:09 PM

Who's to say? It IS what you see. Right, tooblue?

tooblue 10-17-2007 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 137746)
Who's to say? It IS what you see. Right, tooblue?

Indeed.