cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   biggest pet peeve about Fox News: (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11741)

Frank Ryan 09-12-2007 07:41 PM

biggest pet peeve about Fox News:

they call suicide bombers homicide bombers.

MikeWaters 09-12-2007 07:42 PM

how do they refer to wwII "kamikazes"?

Indy Coug 09-12-2007 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 122941)

I'm pretty sure they've stopped crashing their planes by now.

Frank Ryan 09-12-2007 07:49 PM

did they call the va tech shooter a homicide shooter?

Frank Ryan 09-12-2007 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 122941)

homicide pilots

Jeff Lebowski 09-12-2007 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Ryan (Post 122940)

Agreed. Cheesy.

I always wonder what the anchors are thinking when they have to read that line.

JohnnyLingo 09-12-2007 08:02 PM

As the most extreme liberal on the board, I can't imagine there's much at all that you like about Fox News, Frank.

Clark Addison 09-12-2007 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 122950)
Agreed. Cheesy.

Cheesy, yes, and even more. Newspeople are supposed to give us information. By doing this, they automatically take away information.

Morons.

Frank Ryan 09-12-2007 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo (Post 122956)
As the most extreme liberal on the board, I can't imagine there's much at all that you like about Fox News, Frank.

i'm the most extreme liberal?

thanks johnny

i do watch fox sometimes. the only show i won't ever watch is hannity and colmes

so does my being "an extreme liberal" make the use of homicide bomber less lame and stupid?

JohnnyLingo 09-12-2007 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Ryan (Post 122963)
i'm the most extreme liberal?

thanks johnny

i do watch fox sometimes. the only show i won't ever watch is hannity and colmes

Well, according to the political test/graph we all took a couple weeks ago, you are.

But that same graph said I'm one of the most moderate people here, so we know it's very inaccurate.

Quote:

so does my being "an extreme liberal" make the use of homicide bomber less lame and stupid?
Not really, but if you already hate Fox News, you're much more likely to think so.

Jeff Lebowski 09-12-2007 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clark Addison (Post 122959)
Cheesy, yes, and even more. Newspeople are supposed to give us information. By doing this, they automatically take away information.

Morons.

I am guessing if they are willing to say "Fair and balanced!" and "We report, you decide!" with a straight face, then they could get used to saying "homicide bombers".

UtahDan 09-12-2007 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Ryan (Post 122940)

I've basically quit watching cable news after being a junky for many years. Maybe I will resume in the election year. I've never been a huge fan of Fox just because there is too much said there that I agree with (or did).

I would much rather watch Chris Matthews or someone else whose thoughts and guests are much more challenging and opposed to my thought process.

ATM, I just read the news paper and watch a few of the Sunday morning shows, now that church is at 1:00 pm.

JohnnyLingo 09-12-2007 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 122971)
I am guessing if they are willing to say "Fair and balanced!" and "We report, you decide!" with a straight face, then they could get used to saying "homicide bombers".

Okay so wait... I'm guessing they choose to say "homicide bombers" because it focuses on the fact that these men are killing others, instead of focusing on how they are killing themselves.

That's really cheesy and annoying?

Frank Ryan 09-12-2007 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo (Post 122968)
Well, according to the political test/graph we all took a couple weeks ago, you are.

But that same graph said I'm one of the most moderate people here, so we know it's very inaccurate.

Not really, but if you already hate Fox News, you're much more likely to think so.

i am liberal, for sure but i bet i've voted for more republicans than you have democrats.

i'd think it would a stupid policy for any news outlet.

boy i hope police can solve all the homicide murders this year and i hope we see a reduction in fatal deadly car crash accidents

Jeff Lebowski 09-12-2007 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo (Post 122975)
Okay so wait... I'm guessing they choose to say "homicide bombers" because it focuses on the fact that these men are killing others, instead of focusing on how they are killing themselves.

Bill O'Reilly would be so proud of you.

Tex 09-12-2007 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UtahDan (Post 122974)
I would much rather watch Chris Matthews or someone else whose thoughts and guests are much more ... opposed to my thought process.

Probably what keeps me coming back to CG.

Frank Ryan 09-12-2007 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo (Post 122975)

did fox call eric rudolph a homicide bomber?

JohnnyLingo 09-12-2007 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 122981)
Bill O'Reilly would be so proud of you.

90% of all you contribute to the board is snark.

It's very endearing.

Quote:

did fox call eric rudolph a homicide bomber?
I have no idea... I never watch Fox.

UtahDan 09-12-2007 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 122982)
Probably what keeps me coming back to CG.

I'm curious though Tex, do you ever have moments here where you say "hmmm, thats a good point, hadn't thought of that." That is the reason I like "liberal" media better, why I so much enjoyed my ultra-liberal law school. Not because either of those things made me a liberal, but because they made me think about things that hadn't occurred to me. The inevitable result, for me, has been that my views have been moderated (though I am still a conservative).

Ever have moments like that here?

Frank Ryan 09-12-2007 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo (Post 122986)

It's very endearing.

I have no idea... I never watch Fox.

where do you get your news?

JohnnyLingo 09-12-2007 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Ryan (Post 122989)
where do you get your news?

I'll watch CNN for a few minutes while channel surfing. I read articles posted here and on Cougarboard. I never sit down and watch TV news for more than 5 or 6 minutes at a time.

Tex 09-12-2007 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UtahDan (Post 122988)
I'm curious though Tex, do you ever have moments here where you say "hmmm, thats a good point, hadn't thought of that." That is the reason I like "liberal" media better, why I so much enjoyed my ultra-liberal law school. Not because either of those things made me a liberal, but because they made me think about things that hadn't occurred to me. The inevitable result, for me, has been that my views have been moderated (though I am still a conservative).

Ever have moments like that here?

Funny enough, my opinions have been solidified as a result of the frequent conversations I've had with folks with opposing views (not just on CG).

But, yeah, I think I could say I've had moments like that. Whenever I ask an honest, open-ended question--like my thread on the 2nd coming, or the "Would God do that?" thread--I'm genuinely looking for opposing viewpoints to better understand them.

Frequently, all I solicit is a lot of snark in return. Some of that's my fault, and some of it ain't.

Jeff Lebowski 09-12-2007 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo (Post 122986)

Such sweet irony.

RockyBalboa 09-12-2007 09:09 PM

Aren't the bombers committing mass homicide along with just one suicide simultaneously?

I don't have a problem with either reference. Both are accurate.

Frank Ryan 09-12-2007 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyBalboa (Post 123020)
Aren't the bombers committing mass homicide along with just one suicide simultaneously?

bomber by itself means homicide, suicide bomber means he offed himself as well.

it bugs me, it is like saying killer murderer

RockyBalboa 09-12-2007 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Ryan (Post 123021)
bomber by itself means homicide, suicide bomber means he offed himself as well.

it bugs me, it is like saying killer murderer

So it's just the way it sounds in English that bothers you?

Seems you're splitting hairs just for the sake of it.

Frank Ryan 09-12-2007 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyBalboa (Post 123022)

yeah,
it's redundant.

Frank Ryan 09-12-2007 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyBalboa (Post 123022)

Seems you're splitting hairs just for the sake of it.

what am i splitting hairs about?

RockyBalboa 09-12-2007 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Ryan (Post 123024)
what am i splitting hairs about?

That you don't like the way it sounds in English even though both are correct descriptions. It's not THAT big of a deal.

I doubt it would bug you if weren't a liberal. ;)

Frank Ryan 09-12-2007 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyBalboa (Post 123025)
That you don't like the way it sounds in English even though both are correct descriptions.

rocky, i'm not so sure it's good english either.

what time is it? can you look at your clock watch and tell me?

Frank Ryan 09-12-2007 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyBalboa (Post 123025)
That you don't like the way it sounds in English even though both are correct descriptions. It's not THAT big of a deal.

I doubt it would bug you if weren't a liberal. ;)

I know it's not a big deal, that's why it is a pet peeve of mine:D

RockyBalboa 09-12-2007 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Ryan (Post 123028)
rocky, i'm not so sure it's good english either.

what time is it? can you look at your clock watch and tell me?

Like I said...it's not THAT big of a deal. Aren't you overeacting just a tad?

Although I could see if you had the same complaint about the term Ute fan. That would make more sense.

Here's a suggestion...write FoxNews and express your outrage. I'm sure it would garner some good laughs.

Frank Ryan 09-12-2007 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyBalboa (Post 123032)
Like I said...it's not THAT big of a deal. Aren't you overeacting just a tad?

Although I could see if you had the same complaint about the term Ute fan. That would make more sense.

Here's a suggestion...write FoxNews and express your outrage. I'm sure it would garner some good laughs.

I don't think posting on a message board counts as overreacting.

Jeff Lebowski 09-12-2007 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyBalboa (Post 123020)

It's less precise than the more common alternative. Suicide bomber means the bomber died in the blast. Homicide bomber means what?

Don't kid yourself, it is a gimmick to make them look like they are tough on terrorism, unlike the liberal networks.

RockyBalboa 09-12-2007 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 123036)
It's less precise than the more common alternative. Suicide bomber means the bomber died in the blast. Homicide bomber means what?

Don't kid yourself, it is a gimmick to make them look like they are tough on terrorism, unlike the liberal networks.

You know as well as I do what Homicide bomber means. That said bomber is a mass murderer.

For a network like CNN that has the likes of Larry King, Anderson Cooper, and Glenn Beck with shows and MSNBC with someone like Olbermann...it's not like FOX has cornered the market of gimmick news.

Jeff Lebowski 09-12-2007 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyBalboa (Post 123040)
You know as well as I do what Homicide bomber means. That said bomber is a mass murderer.

Aha... "homicide" = "mass murderer"? So if only one person dies, what do we call it?

And if the bomb is detonated remotely? How about "non-suicide homicide bomber"? Even better, "chicken-shit homicide bomber".

Yes, we need to have tough labels in our fair and balanced news reporting.

RockyBalboa 09-12-2007 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 123050)
Aha... "homicide" = "mass murderer"? So if only one person dies, what do we call it?

And if the bomb is detonated remotely? How about "non-suicide homicide bomber"? Even better, "chicken-shit homicide bomber".

Yes, we need to have tough labels in our fair and balanced news reporting.

You wouldn't be bitching about something as semantical as this if it were a non-conservative news outlet and you know it. :)

Jeff Lebowski 09-12-2007 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyBalboa (Post 123082)
You wouldn't be bitching about something as semantical as this if it were a non-conservative news outlet and you know it. :)

Actually, I probably watch Fox more than CNN or any of the others. But their style makes me laugh at times.

Colly Wolly 09-12-2007 11:25 PM

I'm right wing. Now that it's out there...

I remember a couple years ago, they had some big-wig from GE on Fox News and he made the comment that they were gunning to knock Fox News off of the top of the cable news ratings. He acknowledged that MSNBC needed to be more like Fox News, and that Fox News sets the standard in 24-hour cable news.

I didn't understand this. I had never heard that Fox News was "the best" cable news provider, just the most right-leaning (in my opinion they are in the center and everyone else is left-leaning).

Is it pretty well established that Fox News is the king of cable news?

RockyBalboa 09-12-2007 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colly Wolly (Post 123084)
I'm right wing. Now that it's out there...

I remember a couple years ago, they had some big-wig from GE on Fox News and he made the comment that they were gunning to knock Fox News off of the top of the cable news ratings. He acknowledged that MSNBC needed to be more like Fox News, and that Fox News sets the standard in 24-hour cable news.

I didn't understand this. I had never heard that Fox News was "the best" cable news provider, just the most right-leaning (in my opinion they are in the center and everyone else is left-leaning).

Is it pretty well established that Fox News is the king of cable news?

It pissed them off that O'Reilly Factor was killing the other networks in the ratings so they got Olberman to copycat the style and tone of O'Reillys show albeit they are on opposite ends of any debating point....but wala......they're getting some attention.

I rarely watch any of the cable networks anymore.