cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   What was the best LDS film this decade? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11033)

ute4ever 08-21-2007 02:32 AM

What was the best LDS film this decade?

Not the warm and fuzzy videos produced by the church, but the silver screen cinema.

il Padrino Ute 08-21-2007 02:36 AM

Even Seattle is scared to vote in this poll.

ute4ever 08-21-2007 02:37 AM

Well hey it's only been online for five minutes.

il Padrino Ute 08-21-2007 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ute4ever (Post 114545)
Well hey it's only been online for five minutes.

True, but that's about 3 minutes longer than SU gives people to vote in his polls. :)

Tex 08-21-2007 02:40 AM

Although I thought the Work and the Glory was well done, I think I enjoyed "The Best Two Years" more than any of these.

ute4ever 08-21-2007 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 114550)
Although I thought the Work and the Glory was well done, I think I enjoyed "The Best Two Years" more than any of these.

Ah I knew I was forgetting one, sorry. Same goes for Baptists at the Barbeque.

RockyBalboa 08-21-2007 02:50 AM

The Best Two Years was surprisingly not that bad.

ute4ever 08-21-2007 02:51 AM

Mike or Archaea,

Please edit the poll to put The Best Two Years in, instead of Ward Ball.

marsupial 08-21-2007 02:54 AM

Wow! I didn't even know so many existed. As I remember, I got a few good chuckles out of Singles Ward and The RM and I think I genuinely enjoyed Brigham City. But I voted for The RM because I watched it with Danimal's nieces and nephews who loved every second of it. Seeing their reaction to the movie made me like it even more.

livecoug 08-21-2007 03:17 AM

I actually thought Best Two Years was decent..

bluegoose 08-21-2007 05:26 PM

How could you even put "The Home Teachers" in the same thread with a title with the word "best" in it? That was quite possibly the worst movie I've ever seen.

Other than that, I would have to say "The Best Two Years" was the most watchable of the bunch. I didn't mind "Singles Ward" too much.

DrumNFeather 08-21-2007 05:31 PM

I liked the Other Side of Heaven.

The best two years was good as well, and I actually didn't mind the Work and the Glory Trilogy...

creekster 08-21-2007 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluegoose (Post 114789)
How could you even put "The Home Teachers" in the same thread with a title with the word "best" in it? That was quite possibly the worst movie I've ever seen.

I could not agree more.

Archaea 08-21-2007 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 114800)
I could not agree more.

I haven't seen it, apparently with good cause.

JohnnyLingo 08-21-2007 05:55 PM

The Best Two Years.

cougjunkie 08-21-2007 06:24 PM

The other side of heaven was a good movie, but i thought Gods Army 2 was the best, although admittedly i havent seen all of the movies on the list.

DrumNFeather 08-21-2007 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougjunkie (Post 114850)
The other side of heaven was a good movie, but i thought Gods Army 2 was the best, although admittedly i havent seen all of the movies on the list.

Isn't that because you are a closet gangbanger though? Trying to get the Lehi Crips going again?

All-American 08-21-2007 06:34 PM

I liked the Singles Ward, because at the time, it was a fresh new take on LDS cinema. When I saw the RM, you could audibly hear them hitting the bottom of the barrel. It should have stopped there. It didn't.

Best Two Years is probably the best of the bunch. Tallest midget.

cougjunkie 08-21-2007 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrumNFeather (Post 114854)
Isn't that because you are a closet gangbanger though? Trying to get the Lehi Crips going again?

Yeah and now that MPfunk is here, we finally have a rival. Remember i am originally from Spanish Fork so if you are not careful i will jump in some of your inlaws.

DrumNFeather 08-21-2007 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougjunkie (Post 114864)
Yeah and now that MPfunk is here, we finally have a rival. Remember i am originally from Spanish Fork so if you are not careful i will jump in some of your inlaws.

lol...

"Some guy jumped me today, and just kept swearing and saying damn DNF..."

DrumNFeather 08-21-2007 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All-American (Post 114861)
I liked the Singles Ward, because at the time, it was a fresh new take on LDS cinema. When I saw the RM, you could audibly hear them hitting the bottom of the barrel. It should have stopped there. It didn't.

Best Two Years is probably the best of the bunch. Tallest midget.

Singles Ward gave Hailstorm the chance to make some good money off of movies about the quirky LDS culture...but they got lazy. RM was bad, Home Teachers was worse than Susical. And Church Ball (which had been anticipated once Singles ward was such a hit) sucked big time...

MikeWaters 08-21-2007 08:09 PM

I haven't seen many of those movies, but I can't bring myself to vote for any of them.

They are all forgettable.

To be honest, I have read "In the Eye of the Storm" (Other side of Heaven) and I don't believe it is an honest book.

SeattleUte 08-21-2007 08:12 PM

I've seen 0 of them. Couldn't even tell you a synopsis. Let me ask a question. How many of these would any of you be embarrassed to have in your collection?

All-American 08-21-2007 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 114943)
I've seen 0 of them. Couldn't even tell you a synopsis. Let me ask a question. How many of these would any of you be embarrassed to have in your collection?

All of the above.

8ballrollin 08-21-2007 09:12 PM

Once again, the more I read this board (of all places) the more I think, maybe, I'm actually an in-active memeber. I have not seen a single one of these movies.

MikeWaters 08-21-2007 09:13 PM

The thing about Brigham City is that somehow "surprisingly this doesn't completely suck" got turned into "you are the Mormon wordsworth and shakespeare" in Richard Dutcher's mind. LOL.

The church isn't interested in having flawed characters portrayed as being Mormon, so I dont' expect there to be good Mormon-themed films, probably ever.

bluegoose 08-21-2007 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8ballrollin (Post 115024)
Once again, the more I read this board (of all places) the more I think, maybe, I'm actually an in-active memeber. I have not seen a single one of these movies.

I think you're right. You say you're in the YM program, yet you've never had a popcorn party with the YW to watch Down and Derby.

You no longer have any credibility in these parts until you are able to give an honest summary of at least one of those movies listed on the poll and a book review of at least two of Sheri Dews Deseret Book's bestselling titles.

8ballrollin 08-21-2007 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluegoose (Post 115050)
I think you're right. You say you're in the YM program, yet you've never had a popcorn party with the YW to watch Down and Derby.

You no longer have any credibility in these parts until you are able to give an honest summary of at least one of those movies listed on the poll and a book review of at least two of Sheri Dews Deseret Book's bestselling titles.

<googles "Down and Derby" as fast as possible>

<Views results and then asks, "Wait, it has Pat Morita in it. I thought he died?">

bluegoose 08-21-2007 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8ballrollin (Post 115065)
<Views results and then asks, "Wait, it has Pat Morita in it. I thought he died?">

Even more evidence of your church inactivity. You've never even heard of the resurrection. Keep it coming 8ball. You've really piling it on today.

YOhio 08-21-2007 11:23 PM

Latter Days was totally gay.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0345551/

il Padrino Ute 08-22-2007 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 114943)

I have Singles Ward, The RM and Church Ball because I've known Kurt Hale for almost 30 years and he sent me free copies. My kids love 'em, so they stay.

UtahDan 08-22-2007 01:56 AM

If you would add "False" as one of the choices, that would be the one I would choose.

creekster 08-22-2007 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 115169)
I have Singles Ward, The RM and Church Ball because I've known Kurt Hale for almost 30 years and he sent me free copies. My kids love 'em, so they stay.

I notice you carefully did not include the home teachers, which I think was a halestorm video. It was really, truly, bad.

il Padrino Ute 08-22-2007 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 115215)
I notice you carefully did not include the home teachers, which I think was a halestorm video. It was really, truly, bad.

Is it a Halestorm film? Kurt didn't send it to me, but then, perhaps he isn't proud of it.

Kurt wrote The Singles Ward and while a lot of the humor in it is inside LDS humor, there is a lot of inside jokes that only those who grew up in the same ward would get. Perhaps that's why I don't hate it.

TheSizzle36 08-22-2007 01:20 PM

I voted for the Singles Ward, mainly because it came out while I was in a singles ward, and I could quickly identify every character with somebody in our ward. That and I found a lot of truth to most of what happened in the movie.

Of the other choices, I've only seen a few; I watched God's Army on my mission for a family home evening with the hottest Chilean I saw during my whole two years... they had just made a trip to Utah and picked up the movie and since they all spoke perfect English (seriously, her and her sister sounded like Valley Girls, it was awesome) we watched it for FHE one night. They were planning on bringing non-member friends, but they all backed out. Good times.

The rest of the movies, I don't think I finished. I think I watched the first Work and The Glory. I watched maybe 30 minutes of Church Ball, but couldn't finish it because it was so disappointingly bad. Never saw Brigham City, or any of the others.

Jeff Lebowski 08-22-2007 01:28 PM

If Brigham City gets any votes at all, this is proof of just how awful this genre is. Brigham City was terrible. The Bishop/Sheriff enlisting the deacons to help canvas the community in a hunt for a killer? Please......

Archaea 08-22-2007 02:20 PM

Most of the commonly exhibited Church art is trash. Dialogue and Sunstone actually exhibit Church art bearing consideration.

DrumNFeather 08-22-2007 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 115298)
If Brigham City gets any votes at all, this is proof of just how awful this genre is. Brigham City was terrible. The Bishop/Sheriff enlisting the deacons to help canvas the community in a hunt for a killer? Please......

I think I went on two or three man hunt's when I was a deacon...happens all the time Lebowski.

Archaea 08-22-2007 02:35 PM

We raided panties at that age, among other things. Does that almost count?

Jeff Lebowski 08-22-2007 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrumNFeather (Post 115325)
I think I went on two or three man hunt's when I was a deacon...happens all the time Lebowski.

Crap. All I did was gather fast offerings.