cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Outdoor / Scouting / Survival (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Backpacking stoves (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18605)

Eddie R. 04-17-2008 07:53 PM

Backpacking stoves

Anyone have a favorite backpacking stove they recommend? Or any recommendations as to what kind of features are good vs. unnecessary.

Most of my backpacking I've just cooked over the fire. While I see myself still doing that, I'd like the added security of having a lightweight stove along for when it is really wet or when I don't feel like making a fire before eating.

Right now I'm leaning towards a MSR Superfly. Kind of a middle of the road canister stove. Seems lightweight, but cooks quick and a larger burner for when I want to heat a larger pot of water for more than one.

Any input?

MikeWaters 04-17-2008 07:57 PM

I have a MSR Dragonfly. It's not terribly light, but it's very versatile. Have had problems with it.

I also have a Sierra Designs Zipstove. I like it, because you dno't hve to carry fuel, but it gets your pots sooty, and you have to constantly add fuel, and that makes it hard to regulate the temperature.

The Dragonfly is "set it and forget it."

Jeff Lebowski 04-17-2008 08:01 PM

I've tried lots of them. I prefer a simple Coleman:

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...Id=40000000226

Easy to light. Consistent flame. Simple construction and operation. Very hot flame.

Eddie R. 04-17-2008 08:02 PM

Thanks for the input. The dragonfly looks nice and I was considering one of those. But somehow I convinced myself that I didn't want one of those stoves with the hose and canister and to just get one that the stove sits right on the fuel source.

Any input as to what makes one better than the other?

MikeWaters 04-17-2008 08:03 PM

Dragonfly also can use unleaded gas. And kerosene and white gas.

It's also easy to light, and given that the fuel pump is not part of the stove body, it's arguably simpler.

MikeWaters 04-17-2008 08:04 PM

Well, depending on what kind of cooking you want to do.

If for example you used a backpacking oven on your stove, you wouldn't want one where the flame was right on top of the canister.

Overall, the pre-bought canister backpacking stoves are the lightest. But you also have to buy proprietary disposable fuel canisters

Jeff Lebowski 04-17-2008 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie R. (Post 210066)
Thanks for the input. The dragonfly looks nice and I was considering one of those. But somehow I convinced myself that I didn't want one of those stoves with the hose and canister and to just get one that the stove sits right on the fuel source.

Any input as to what makes one better than the other?

I have used both. I just like to be able to grab it out of the pack, fire it up and start cooking. If you need more fuel, just carry a spare bottle.

I originally bought an expensive multi-piece stove. I thought it was really cool. I went backpacking with my brother who had a Coleman. He could always get his going in seconds, where it took me a while to get mine up and going. And his water would boil in half the time. I bought myself one and I love it.

Jeff Lebowski 04-17-2008 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 210067)
It's also easy to light, and given that the fuel pump is not part of the stove body, it's arguably simpler.

How does that make it simpler?

Eddie R. 04-17-2008 08:09 PM

Lebowski -

Have you used white gas or unleaded in your coleman? I'm curious if one burns stronger than the other.

I think my biggest hangup with the coleman is that I've got one of their larger camp stoves and it seems to always smell a little like gas. I don't know if that is just because it is so old and it probably leaks some, or what. But I'm hesitant due to my (perhaps unreasonable) thought that it would be more prone to leak and smell up everything in my pack.

creekster 04-17-2008 08:10 PM

http://www.rei.com/product/653565

I have one of these, an MSR superfly. I love it. No matches needed, very easy to adjust, no flooding of fuel needed to start. PLus it is very light and comapct. I prefer it to the Ccoleman and the Whisperlite. Plus they heat things very quickly.

Jeff Lebowski 04-17-2008 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie R. (Post 210073)
Lebowski -

Have you used white gas or unleaded in your coleman? I'm curious if one burns stronger than the other.

I think my biggest hangup with the coleman is that I've got one of their larger camp stoves and it seems to always smell a little like gas. I don't know if that is just because it is so old and it probably leaks some, or what. But I'm hesitant due to my (perhaps unreasonable) thought that it would be more prone to leak and smell up everything in my pack.

I always use white gas. I haven't tried unleaded. I have never had a problem with odor or leakage.

MikeWaters 04-17-2008 08:21 PM

I have had some minor issues with odor.

Beacuse when you detach the line from the fuel bottle, there is always a small amount of fuel still in the hose despite burning out.

And if you open the top of the fuel bottle very slowly while pressurized, you are going to get some gas mist/liquid. This is while the bottle is pretty full. Haven't done it when almost empty.

Eddie R. 04-17-2008 08:32 PM

Thanks for the input everyone. Gives me some idea when I get looking a little more closely at the outdoor store this weekend.

I don't go all the time, though I'd like to go more. I just want something that works hassle free, doesn't weigh too much, and won't break the bank unnecessarily. Sounds like there are a lot of good options depending on the features you like.

creekster 04-17-2008 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie R. (Post 210083)
Thanks for the input everyone. Gives me some idea when I get looking a little more closely at the outdoor store this weekend.

I don't go all the time, though I'd like to go more. I just want something that works hassle free, doesn't weigh too much, and won't break the bank unnecessarily. Sounds like there are a lot of good options depending on the features you like.

I'll just add one thing. I go on a week long trip once a year and in our group we have all of these stoves and over the last couple of years most of the others have replaced their stoves with the superfly.

8ballrollin 04-17-2008 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 210084)
I'll just add one thing. I go on a week long trip once a year and in our group we have all of these stoves and over the last couple of years most of the others have replaced their stoves with the superfly.

Creekster is a closer.

MikeWaters 04-17-2008 09:33 PM

remember you cant take those canisters on a plane. fuel bottle you can.

Eddie R. 04-17-2008 09:33 PM

Yeah, that's quite a sales pitch.

I think my initial inclination towards the superfly was due to the simple nature of sticking it on the fuel supply, firing it up, and cooking with it. I'll admit that I glanced at the coleman stoves too, but they look a bit heavier to me. And the places I end up getting hauled off to in the uintas are rugged enough that I'd rather put my weight into a sleeping pad. If I was into extremely high altitude, winter backpacking, or longer trips I might pay more attention to the fuel source issue. For what I do the little snap on canisters of butane will work great. I don't do any fancy enough cooking to need a stove with the hose and fuel canister and I don't go frequently enough for fuel cost to become an issue.

Again - thanks all for the input.

Eddie R. 04-17-2008 09:36 PM

Mike - that's certainly something to be aware of. I just backpack around here, so I'm not to worried about getting on a plane with one. I'm also assuming that in the event that I did I could find a Walmart just about anywhere willing to sell me a new canister.

MikeWaters 04-17-2008 09:40 PM

plane issue. mine multiple fuel and sinners. good for emergency

bluegoose 04-17-2008 10:13 PM

I've got a MSR whisperlite shaker white gas stove. When its working (worked) it has been a good stove. I've had problems lighting it in the past and out of laziness have gone with a Coleman propane campstove. Its a lot easier to light and maintain a constant flame than the Whisperlite. Its a bit heavier, but when you're already carrying 75-80 pounds, whats an extra pound.

And Mike, thank goodness most of us live in parts of the country where we don't have to take an airplane to get to prime backpacking spots. If you'd like to see such a place, I'd be more than happy to pick you up at our local airport with your empty fuel conisters and show you around.

MikeWaters 04-17-2008 10:15 PM

Oh, I thought I was talking to someone who might travel internationally. By plane.

If you carry one of those colemans you'll be laughed off the trail. Camping is about elegant equipment EVERYBODY KNOWS THAT!

creekster 04-17-2008 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8ballrollin (Post 210098)
Creekster is a closer.

Lol.

I used to do direct, in-home sales of fire alarm systems (this is way back in the 70s before these sorts fo things were common). Oh, the stories I can tell from those expereinces. "Plus, if you buy tonight, we will add this deluxe gas detector to your package . . . ."

As an aside, I laugh when people comapre a mission a misson to sales. In broad terms they are simialr, but in reality it is not even close. I have done both and if I had sold fire alarms like I tried to preach the gosepl I would never have made any money.

Back to stoves, you can have the elgance, functionality and ease of use in one package. Plus, you can buy the cannisters almost anywhere in the states AND internationally. Superfly, my firend, that is the way to go. But, you already knew that.

bluegoose 04-17-2008 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 210119)
Oh, I thought I was talking to someone who might travel internationally. By plane.

If you carry one of those colemans you'll be laughed off the trail. Camping is about elegant equipment EVERYBODY KNOWS THAT!

You'll be laughing, canister boy, while I will have already lit the stove, boiled the water and eaten my dinner, and carefully hidden my monstrous canister and stove while you're still trying to pressurize your stinkin' white gas stove.

Speaking of which, I think I may have already given props here once upon a time to the JetBoil stove. My buddy has one, and this thing is amazing. It was initially only made to boil water, but they have since added some components to allow small frying or saute pans. It'll bring a liter of water to a boil in about 90-120 seconds.

http://www.jetboil.com/Products

creekster 04-17-2008 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 210119)

My buddies changed to superfly not becaseu it looked good (alhtough it does) but becaseu it worked very well and more effectively than those clunky colemans or whisper-lites. But, to each his own.

Besides, I suppose on your many international camping forays you may need to stand out from those of us that just want something that worls very well.

MikeWaters 04-17-2008 10:28 PM

are you saying the MSR Dragonfly doesn't work as well as the MRS superfly?

http://www.msrgear.com/stoves/images...nfly_large.jpg

http://www.msrgear.com/stoves/images/superfly_large.jpg

I guess another factor is that I camp much more than you Creekster. So I have to be more practical about things. I dont' want to have to have a supply of those canisters.

MikeWaters 04-17-2008 10:28 PM

Plus, mine is better for the environment, you don't have to throw away those canister.

bluegoose 04-17-2008 10:33 PM

Having not researched new stoves in a couple of years, I have now found my next stove - The Superfly.

Thank you, creekster. You've closed another deal.

creekster 04-17-2008 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 210128)
Plus, mine is better for the environment, you don't have to throw away those canister.

They can be recycled. I assume you do that in Texas, right?

MikeWaters 04-17-2008 10:35 PM

One bad thing about the Dragonfly--many of you will not be able to afford it.

In that case, yes, go with the superfly. (even though you will spend a lot more in the long run due to buying canisters)

creekster 04-17-2008 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 210127)
are you saying the MSR Dragonfly doesn't work as well as the MRS superfly?

http://www.msrgear.com/stoves/images...nfly_large.jpg

http://www.msrgear.com/stoves/images/superfly_large.jpg

I guess another factor is that I camp much more than you Creekster. So I have to be more practical about things. I dont' want to have to have a supply of those canisters.

Messy cannister, not self-lighting, you need the hose, and it is heavier. Apart from that, it's great.

creekster 04-17-2008 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 210127)
So I have to be more practical about things. I dont' want to have to have a supply of those canisters.

All kidding aside, this is a factor. They are not hard to find, but you do need to find them. Nothing is perfect, and I have been very happy with the superfly for how I use it. Of course, I only have to drive to he Sierra, I don't need to fly to Kathmandu. YMMV.

MikeWaters 04-17-2008 10:40 PM

Customers who bought the Superfly:

Quote:

"I bought this stove about a year ago. It is a bad design. The arms that the pot rests on is screwed into the top of the stove and because it is a stove and it gets hot the screw and arms are messed up and are unstable it is also a little hard to turn the arms into open position because the heat destroyed the way it was attached. It did do an awesome job of heating and but the autostarter also messed up and does not work anymore"
Quote:

If you're going above 12000 ft or going to very cold weather region, keep in mind that butane canister stove does not work very well. But for most backpacking uses, it's fine. But this applies to all butane canister models not just Superfly. Only downside I can think of is the storage. Because it doesn't fold up (the wings folds up but that's it), it doesn't store very well in a backpack. If you have a 1L plus pot, it will fit in there but that means you have a butane canister that will have go elsewhere (I usually put my butane canister in the pot)."
Quote:

However, when using a wind screen with the stove, the added heat melted and destroyed the plastic parts of the piezo ignitor."
Quote:

The only negatives I've found are the lack of windscreen (performance suffers in wind, but you can make your own of rocks, pads, etc.) and not igniting in cold weather (less than 30 degrees F).The only negatives I've found are the lack of windscreen (performance suffers in wind, but you can make your own of rocks, pads, etc.) and not igniting in cold weather (less than 30 degrees F).

MSR SUPERFLY

RATING: 3 STARS

MSR DRAGONFLY
RATING: 4 STARS

MikeWaters 04-17-2008 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 210132)
Messy cannister, not self-lighting, you need the hose, and it is heavier. Apart from that, it's great.

1. canister is no more messy than yours. It's the stove line that must be drained of a few drops. Not hard to do.

2. Yes, you need a match. I'm fine with that, esp. since your igniter can break/melt, and mine can start at altitude in cold weather, and yours can't.

3. It is heavier.

Jeff Lebowski 04-17-2008 11:15 PM

This is a great thread. Can we argue down vs. synthetic mummy bags next? After that we can argue about water filters.

creekster 04-17-2008 11:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:
"I bought this stove about a year ago. It is a bad design. The arms that the pot rests on is screwed into the top of the stove and because it is a stove and it gets hot the screw and arms are messed up and are unstable it is also a little hard to turn the arms into open position because the heat destroyed the way it was attached. It did do an awesome job of heating and but the autostarter also messed up and does not work anymore"
This person is, how you say? oh yes, an idiot.

Quote:

Quote:
If you're going above 12000 ft or going to very cold weather region, keep in mind that butane canister stove does not work very well. But for most backpacking uses, it's fine. But this applies to all butane canister models not just Superfly. Only downside I can think of is the storage. Because it doesn't fold up (the wings folds up but that's it), it doesn't store very well in a backpack. If you have a 1L plus pot, it will fit in there but that means you have a butane canister that will have go elsewhere (I usually put my butane canister in the pot)."
I think it packs fine in the back pack. Look at it at the store, if you don't like it for this, then don't buy it. SPend a lot of time above 12,000 feet in texas do you? Oh wait, it must be those international desitnations you are always flying to.

Quote:

Quote:
However, when using a wind screen with the stove, the added heat melted and destroyed the plastic parts of the piezo ignitor."
Think abut what this guy is saying. Really, does this make any sense? WHat did he do, turn it into a rock oven?

Quote:

Quote:
The only negatives I've found are the lack of windscreen (performance suffers in wind, but you can make your own of rocks, pads, etc.) and not igniting in cold weather (less than 30 degrees F).The only negatives I've found are the lack of windscreen (performance suffers in wind, but you can make your own of rocks, pads, etc.) and not igniting in cold weather (less than 30 degrees F).
The windscreen issue is true, but I have not found it to be very difficult to make a windscreen and I have only found it necessary in a very exposed location with a very stiff breeze.

creekster 04-17-2008 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 210135)
1. canister is no more messy than yours. It's the stove line that must be drained of a few drops. Not hard to do.

2. Yes, you need a match. I'm fine with that, esp. since your igniter can break/melt, and mine can start at altitude in cold weather, and yours can't.

3. It is heavier.

You sure are sensitive.

1. It is too messier. You have to fill it, empty it and keep it clean. You don't need to do any of this wiht SF. Yours may not be difficult, but with SF it is not even necessary. Plus, draining the hose is partof theprocess of using youre cannister and it is messier. A few drops of butane gives you a pleasing aroma all day.

2. The SF also starts with a match any time you need it to. But for those times you are below 12k feet and the temp is above 30 degrees or so, the one button start is very convenient and cool.

3. Is it heavier? Including all the equipment such as the hose and the oh-so-important windscreen? Perhaps, but I find it hard to believe, although i haven't looked at that to be honest.

creekster 04-17-2008 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 210140)
This is a great thread. Can we argue down vs. synthetic mummy bags next? After that we can argue about water filters.

ANy time buddy. Pick a side and Ill let you know if you picked correctly. (first hint: synthetic)

Jeff Lebowski 04-17-2008 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 210146)
ANy time buddy. Pick a side and Ill let you know if you picked correctly. (first hint: synthetic)

Bag: down
Filter: ceramic

creekster 04-17-2008 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 210149)
Bag: down
Filter: ceramic

You're just pulling my leg. To tell you the truth, I never camp above 12,000 feet so maybe you shoudl ask Mike.

Jeff Lebowski 04-17-2008 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 210152)
You're just pulling my leg. To tell you the truth, I never camp above 12,000 feet so maybe you shoudl ask Mike.

No, I am serious. I like the small size and light weight of down bags. Makes up for the extra wt resulting from that "clunky" Coleman stove, I suppose.

You don't like ceramic filters?