cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Outdoor / Scouting / Survival (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Need some ideas for breakfast on campout (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12679)

MikeWaters 10-11-2007 03:46 PM

Need some ideas for breakfast on campout

any suggestions?

cougjunkie 10-11-2007 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 134554)
any suggestions?

pancake, eggs and bacon are always a crowd favorite

Solon 10-11-2007 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougjunkie (Post 134569)
pancake, eggs and bacon are always a crowd favorite

bagels and cream cheese. Travel easy, lightweight, don't spoil too fast, easy to prepare, caloric.

Jeff Lebowski 10-11-2007 04:58 PM

If you are car camping, it's tough to beat pancakes and sausage/bacon. And now that Costco has pre-cooked sausage and bacon, it is even easier.

YOhio 10-11-2007 05:48 PM

Nutrigrain bar and an apple.

Jeff Lebowski 10-11-2007 05:51 PM

Here is another one that my scouts loved: Breakfast burritos.

Just scramble some eggs and cook some bacon/sausage. Give them tortillas and some grated cheese and salsa. Even better if you have freshly-cooked tortillas using the raw ones they sell at Costco.

hyrum 10-11-2007 05:52 PM

Quote:

any suggestions?

Cold pizza.

il Padrino Ute 10-11-2007 05:59 PM

Nothing is better than a trout just pulled out of the water and cooked.

Black Diamond Bay 10-11-2007 06:22 PM

Granola with nido. I don't know if you can buy that in Utah, we always have to look for it in the grocery stores out here that are in the more hispanic parts of town. It's like instant milk, only sans the nasty after taste. My sister used to drink it in Mexico, she's the one that introduced me to it.

nikuman 10-11-2007 08:03 PM

I got hooked on those Mountain House dehydrated meals, but I usually go hiking in remote areas. If you have a car, you can't go wrong with bacon, eggs, sausage and sourdough flapjacks on a griddle. Hash browns too.

MikeWaters 10-11-2007 08:06 PM

Boy you guys are noob rubes. I'm talking about something exquisite and creative. Not pancakes.

YOhio 10-11-2007 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 134790)
Boy you guys are noob rubes. I'm talking about something exquisite and creative. Not pancakes.

You can make ommelletes. One easy way is to boil water, put the fillings and eggs into individual ziploc bags and then boil the bags. They don't taste as good as traditional omellettes, but they're pretty good for a campout.

Jeff Lebowski 10-11-2007 08:24 PM

Quote:

Give them some steamed rice and natto. Throw in some miso soup and maybe some cold salmon. Your in-laws would be proud.

nikuman 10-11-2007 08:33 PM

Quote:

Fine, fine. Make yourself some lobster omelets with a clam bake. Get some lobsters, put them on ice, stew 'em up with a mess of steamer clams in a big cast iron kettle or dutch oven, take the lobster meat and make omelettes (use a good amount of butter, unless you prefer bacon grease).

The kids will love playing with the lobsters too. For extra fun, remove the rubber bands from the claws before you let them play with them.

Pineapple upside down cake for dessert. Easy to make.

nikuman 10-11-2007 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 134802)
Give them some steamed rice and natto. Throw in some miso soup and maybe some cold salmon. Your in-laws would be proud.

Wait a second; you're telling me that Mike's wife is of Japanese decent? And he didn't come up with this idea on his own?

MikeWaters 10-11-2007 08:37 PM

MMMMMmmmm, I love natto.

Miso soup, mmmmm.

Goatnapper'96 10-11-2007 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikuman (Post 134810)
Wait a second; you're telling me that Mike's wife is of Japanese decent? And he didn't come up with this idea on his own?

But she has been an adopted Jew since she was 8.

il Padrino Ute 10-12-2007 04:42 AM

Quote:

You got something against fresh trout?

MikeWaters 10-12-2007 04:44 AM

I talked to the YM president. Despite the fact that he served a mission in Japan many a year ago, he does not have a taste for natto. So that's off the list.

RC Vikings 10-12-2007 03:00 PM

Make it a survival morning and tell them they are on their own.

creekster 10-12-2007 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 134703)
Nothing is better than a trout just pulled out of the water and cooked.

DO they come already cleaned? Pulling from the water is fine and eating a fresh one is fine, but the cleaning in between is not something I like to do before breakfast.

Jeff Lebowski 10-12-2007 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 135225)
DO they come already cleaned? Pulling from the water is fine and eating a fresh one is fine, but the cleaning in between is not something I like to do before breakfast.

Wuss.

creekster 10-12-2007 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 135266)
Wuss.

I admit it, but only before breakfast.

ute4ever 10-12-2007 04:39 PM

I went on a four-day hike and a friend individually vacuum-sealed all of his food. For example dinner on day 3 was an In-N-Out Burger. We were all sitting there, balancing our little backpacking stoves on the propane waiting for the Mountain House carb fest, and he whips out another double-double.

dut99002 10-12-2007 09:53 PM

I endorse this. This meal has been a huge success with our scouts as well.

One of my close friends who I worked with in scouting goes by the rule that your camping breakfasts should be as quick and clean as possible. Muffins, bagels, Powerbars, fruit, etc. Whatever takes the least amount of time to preapre/clean up and can provide the most calories.

The more I camp, the more I endorse this idea.

That said, I love to have bacon, eggs, breakfast burrittos though. But only when I don't want to get going for the day quickly.

dut99002 10-12-2007 09:55 PM

Give the kids natto and miso for breakfast camping and they'll never camp with you again.

Natto=mucous beans. Ugh.

FarrahWaters 10-12-2007 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dut99002 (Post 135412)
Give the kids natto and miso for breakfast camping and they'll never camp with you again.

Natto=mucous beans. Ugh.

Mike, my brother, and my brother-in-law had a natto-eating contest one Christmas. Mike won easily. He loves the stuff. My BIL put in a brave effort, it being his first time to try natto. He couldn't get past the viscous strings.

dut99002 10-12-2007 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarrahWaters (Post 135418)
Mike, my brother, and my brother-in-law had a natto-eating contest one Christmas. Mike won easily. He loves the stuff. My BIL put in a brave effort, it being his first time to try natto. He couldn't get past the viscous strings.

It most definitely is an acquired taste and is one of the more strange foods that I have ever seen. I'd love to see one of these contests, just not be a participant.

BigFatMeanie 10-12-2007 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 134691)
Here is another one that my scouts loved: Breakfast burritos.

Just scramble some eggs and cook some bacon/sausage. Give them tortillas and some grated cheese and salsa. Even better if you have freshly-cooked tortillas using the raw ones they sell at Costco.

This sounds like a good idea. I'll have to try it the next time I go car camping but I go car camping (or any kind of camping) about once every 10 years on average. I hate camping.

bluegoose 10-13-2007 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dut99002 (Post 135410)
One of my close friends who I worked with in scouting goes by the rule that your camping breakfasts should be as quick and clean as possible. Muffins, bagels, Powerbars, fruit, etc. Whatever takes the least amount of time to preapre/clean up and can provide the most calories.

I'm with you (or your friend) on this one. When I camp, especially with the scouts, I hate spending time cooking and cleaning for breakfast, or for any meal really. Quick and easy. Instant oatmeal, hot cocoa and a bagel.

il Padrino Ute 10-13-2007 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 135225)

Figure out a way to watch an autopsy and cleaning a fish will never be a problem for you again. ;)

Surfah 10-13-2007 03:07 PM

I like baking hot potates in the coals and then dicing them up in the morning to make home fries. Add some seasoning salt fry them with chopped up bacon or sausage and crack a few eggs in the entire mix. Good stuff. I actually like doing this for dinner. But I agree with the minimalist approach to breakfast, especially when hiking. Instant oatmeal is usually what I do. I save this type of meal for the father and son/ward camp outs.

venomous viper 10-14-2007 12:40 PM

take them to the same IHOP we went to with Koreacoug!

Quote:

any suggestions?

They had eggs, pancakes, and bacon without the mess.