cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Basketball (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Anyone care to explain Texas getting. . . (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7034)

Insensitive PAP 03-12-2007 11:12 PM

Anyone care to explain Texas getting. . .

a 4 seed and BYU getting an 8 seed? This thing is so rigged.

ute4ever 03-12-2007 11:22 PM

Texas was willing to play in either the Thu/Sat or the Fri/Sun games, but since not all 65 teams are that cordial, it caused some shuffling around. The chain reaction resulted in Texas being bumped from a 5 to a 4, and BYU sliding from a 6 to a 7.

Additionally, there is a rule that a conference champion will not face any teams from its conference within the same bracket. For example, note that in Florida's bracket there are no other SEC teams.

That resulted in more shuffling around, and with BYU restricting itself to Thu/Sat availability only, slid them from a 7 to an 8.

RockyBalboa 03-12-2007 11:26 PM

I'm still wondering how Vanderbilt got a #6 seed.

SeattleUte 03-13-2007 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Insensitive PAP (Post 65413)

You've got to be kidding. The pundits say Texas will beat North Carolina. Texas has the best player in the country. I'm a Georgetown fan and am thankful GU is a 2 seed not a 1 so it can play Wazu or whoever beats Wazu instead of Texas if it gets to the Sweet 16. Texas would dismember BYU. It wouldn't be pretty. Texas is underseeded.

Jeff Lebowski 03-13-2007 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 65450)
You've got to be kidding. The pundits say Texas will beat North Carolina. Texas has the best player in the country. I'm a Georgetown fan and am thankful GU is a 2 seed not a 1 so it can play Wazu or whoever beats Wazu instead of Texas if it gets to the Sweet 16. Texas would dismember BYU. It wouldn't be pretty. Texas is underseeded.

Amen, brother. Amen.

Go Horns.

Insensitive PAP 03-13-2007 08:39 AM

Texas sucks

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 65450)

The numbers confirm it. RPI, bad, record, bad, quality wins, bad, road wins, bad, SOS, BAD.

Zulu451 03-13-2007 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Insensitive PAP (Post 65413)

The answer to this is VERY EASY: Kevin Durant

Until you have seen this guy play, you haven't seen anything. He could easily start for 75% of the NBA teams right now. He is what Lebron James would have been at the college level.

Fact is that Texas would evicerate BYU, Durant would hang 50 points on them being double covered the entire game. He put up 37 against Kansas, who is a really good defensive team. He averaged about 30 points in two games against Texas A&M who is the best defensive team in the country.

Just having Durant makes Texas a 4th seed.

Watch this guy, he is unbelievable.

All this comming from someone who literally hates TU.

RockyBalboa 03-13-2007 05:17 PM

I know the consensus among the NBA is that when a potentially great big man is available in the draft,,,,that being Oden,,,you take him, but if I'm a G.M. drafting #1 this year I take Kevin Durrant.

He'll be an All-Star his rookie season and a superstar in a very short time. He's the best player I've seen in college in a very long time.

Archaea 03-13-2007 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zulu451 (Post 65460)

Until you have seen this guy play, you haven't seen anything. He could easily start for 75% of the NBA teams right now. He is what Lebron James would have been at the college level.

Fact is that Texas would evicerate BYU, Durant would hang 50 points on them being double covered the entire game. He put up 37 against Kansas, who is a really good defensive team. He averaged about 30 points in two games against Texas A&M who is the best defensive team in the country.

If he's such a superstar, why does Texas have any losses?

RockyBalboa 03-13-2007 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 65516)
If he's such a superstar, why does Texas have any losses?

Does a team with a superstar or two ever go undefeated anymore?

Insensitive PAP 03-13-2007 06:22 PM

What does that have to do with anything?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zulu451 (Post 65460)

If he is that great a player, their team should have better numbers. So how about someone answer the question? What, in the numbers, makes Texas deserve a higher seeding than BYU. And btw, the Big 12 sucks.

MikeWaters 03-13-2007 07:09 PM

I haven't followed Texas that closely, so I don't know what their good wins are or what their bad losses are, etc.

But I have seen a game or two with Durrant, and I can confirm that he is amazing. I don't think I have ever seen a better set of offensive skills in someone of that size in a freshman.

Zulu451 03-13-2007 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Insensitive PAP (Post 65525)
If he is that great a player, their team should have better numbers. So how about someone answer the question? What, in the numbers, makes Texas deserve a higher seeding than BYU. And btw, the Big 12 sucks.

This statement is legitimate and fine until the last sentence, that just reveals that you are competely ignorant of college basketball. Take off the blue colored glasses, smack yourself around and we will all welcome you back to reality.

Yeah, ok... so being as you are so smart, why does the Big 12 have 2 of 5 all on the all american squads?

Kansas is a legit #2, who is the highest rank MWC team?

Kansas lost to A&M, squeaked out 2 wins against TU.

Texas has losses b/c basketball is a team sport if any of their other players show up and have decent games, they can take anyone.

You obviously have never seen this guy play. Just watch him and see. Look at the competition, who has BYU played? What top 5 teams have they taken to overtime? Or beaten? What top 10 teams?

What was BYU's road record? If I remember right BYU has a really tough time on the road.

The final analysis is that the NCAA wants Texas to go deep in the tourny b/c Kevin Durant will sell tickets and get people to watch games. BYU will not. It is that easy.

Detroitdad 03-13-2007 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zulu451 (Post 65613)
This statement is legitimate and fine until the last sentence, that just reveals that you are competely ignorant of college basketball. Take off the blue colored glasses, smack yourself around and we will all welcome you back to reality.

Yeah, ok... so being as you are so smart, why does the Big 12 have 2 of 5 all on the all american squads?

Kansas is a legit #2, who is the highest rank MWC team?

Kansas lost to A&M, squeaked out 2 wins against TU.

Texas has losses b/c basketball is a team sport if any of their other players show up and have decent games, they can take anyone.

You obviously have never seen this guy play. Just watch him and see. Look at the competition, who has BYU played? What top 5 teams have they taken to overtime? Or beaten? What top 10 teams?

What was BYU's road record? If I remember right BYU has a really tough time on the road.

The final analysis is that the NCAA wants Texas to go deep in the tourny b/c Kevin Durant will sell tickets and get people to watch games. BYU will not. It is that easy.

I agree that this is the reason about tickets and tv sets. I just wish the comittee would say in advance.. no attempt is necessary for the teams from the lower conferences to get anything higher than a four seed. Also, non-BCS teams can expect to be seeded lower than the purportedly objective measures that we use dictate.

Oh and truly, outside of A and M, Kansas, and Texas the Big 12 did suck this year.

SeattleUte 03-13-2007 11:15 PM

In response to comments like PAP's, here's THE BOTTOM LINE: Until MWC teams (besides Utah, which is currently on its ass) start winning NCAA playoff games to any extent there's nothing to talk about. If BYU were from the MVC there would be some room to gripe. It's not, and BYU hasn't won an NCAA game for decades. BYU needs to put its own house in order, tend its own garden, before harping about how weak other conferences are or how unfair is the system. It's like somebody with a C average and fiftieth percentile SAT complaining Harvard admissions are rigged.

pelagius 03-13-2007 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 65629)
In response to comments like PAP's, here's THE BOTTOM LINE: Until MWC teams (besides Utah, which is currently on its ass) start winning NCAA playoff games to any extent there's nothing to talk about. If BYU were from the MVC there would be some room to gripe. It's not, and BYU hasn't won an NCAA game for decades. BYU needs to put its own house in order, tend its own garden, before harping about how weak other conferences are or how unfair is the system. It's like somebody with a C average and fiftieth percentile SAT complaining Harvard admissions are rigged.

I could be wrong, but I don't think one has to engage in slighhtly over the top hyperbole to explain the difference. In virtually every rating system besides RPI, Texas is rated higher. Here is a sampling:

Code:

BYU  Texas
Massey          39      21
Sagarin (ELO)    25      19
Sagarin (MOV)    56      16
Wolfe            25      20
Rothman          42      19
Me              53      17

Texas is not an isolated case here. The seeds this year are less correlated with the RPI then in the past (see Indy's post), and as I demonstrate in a different post the deviations comparing massey and the NCAA seeds are smaller than the deviations from RPI. In my mind a better and more systematic question is why the committee shifted away from RPI. The Texas vs BYU example is just a manifestation of the shift and not an unique case

SeattleUte 03-14-2007 03:10 AM

The Big 12 weak? Check this out. SI experts' pick their Final Fours. They love the Big 12:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ets/index.html

It looks like they all pick BYU to lose to Xavier. I may have missed one.