cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness and Wellness (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Calling BYUpride and Sizzle (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9576)

SteelBlue 07-02-2007 11:36 PM

Calling BYUpride and Sizzle

Feel free to record a 5k time guys, it's boring to see "no run data" next to your names.

Archaea 07-02-2007 11:40 PM

I might do mine a little later in a few weeks.

Runner Coug 07-02-2007 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 96558)
Feel free to record a 5k time guys, it's boring to see "no run data" next to your names.

They're probably scared.

</reverse_psychology>

SteelBlue 07-02-2007 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 96561)
I might do mine a little later in a few weeks.

Did you break down and buy a nano?

Archaea 07-02-2007 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runner Coug (Post 96563)
They're probably scared.

</reverse_psychology>

I am. Your times will probably crush me.

ewth8tr 07-02-2007 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 96558)

I'm just excited that nikuman recorded a time slower than me, so I'm not at the bottom of those with recorded times. I'm gonna run for the first time in a week tomorrow morning after finally getting my foot to feel better.

SteelBlue 07-02-2007 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ewth8tr (Post 96575)
I'm just excited that nikuman recorded a time slower than me, so I'm not at the bottom of those with recorded times. I'm gonna run for the first time in a week tomorrow morning after finally getting my foot to feel better.

Don't hurt yourself. You have all summer to take the number one spot.

Archaea 07-02-2007 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 96565)
Did you break down and buy a nano?

I need to buy one, but I intend to time myself during tempos before I buy one. I just don't want to be last, because Runner will probably be the first.

ewth8tr 07-02-2007 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 96580)
Don't hurt yourself. You have all summer to take the number one spot.

lol, I'd be shocked if I took that #1 spot honestly, but I'm just excited to be able to run again, I feel much better during the day if I have run that morning and my attention span is much better too :p

SteelBlue 07-03-2007 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 96584)
Runner will probably be the first.

I got excited when I saw my time is a little bit faster than his. Then he revealed that he'd run 24 miles the day before he recorded that time. I will lose my spot the next time he runs with his ipod.

Archaea 07-03-2007 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 96594)
I got excited when I saw my time is a little bit faster than his. Then he revealed that he'd run 24 miles the day before he recorded that time. I will lose my spot the next time he runs with his ipod.

How fast did you run? I don't want to participate if I have no chance at being respectable.

During my last episode, we ran fifteen with the last three being my 5K, and did it in 22 minutes and some seconds. So if that's not in the ballpark I guess I'll quite before I start. I don't have the time to just run a 5k.

ewth8tr 07-03-2007 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 96599)
How fast did you run? I don't want to participate if I have no chance at being respectable.

During my last episode, we ran fifteen with the last three being my 5K, and did it in 22 minutes and some seconds. So if that's not in the ballpark I guess I'll quite before I start. I don't have the time to just run a 5k.

arch, we all hate you. Currently, here are the numbers.

steelblue 24'33"
runnercoug 24'53"
ewth8tr 29'29"
nikuman 36'12"

Archaea 07-03-2007 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ewth8tr (Post 96601)

steelblue 24'33"
runnercoug 24'53"
ewth8tr 29'29"
nikuman 36'12"

How does this nano thing work?

Do I run my mileage prior to my 5K and then turn it on, or do I have get to choose my fastest 5K?

I have a Garmin 305, do I have to turn one off to use the other?

ewth8tr 07-03-2007 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 96604)
How does this nano thing work?

Do I run my mileage prior to my 5K and then turn it on, or do I have get to choose my fastest 5K?

I have a Garmin 305, do I have to turn one off to use the other?

just have the nano on the whole time you run and it will just tke the fastest 5K of the run.

RockyBalboa 07-03-2007 01:17 AM

What did I miss while in Denver?

Is there a new CG running competition?

bYuPride 07-03-2007 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ewth8tr (Post 96601)

steelblue 24'33"
runnercoug 24'53"
ewth8tr 29'29"
nikuman 36'12"

I'm looking to break 45 minutes. I'm a great walker. Sorry about not running with the nano. I'll have to wake up early sometime this week and run. although, that will cut into my riding time and if i had to choose between riding or running, i'll choose riding 99.9% of the time.... pray for me.

ewth8tr 07-03-2007 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bYuPride (Post 96641)
I'm looking to break 45 minutes. I'm a great walker. Sorry about not running with the nano. I'll have to wake up early sometime this week and run. although, that will cut into my riding time and if i had to choose between riding or running, i'll choose riding 99.9% of the time.... pray for me.

There are a bunch of 5K's going on on the 4th. Here is what I was emailed from the Salt Lake Running Company a few days ago. I'm going to do the South Salt Lake one if everything goes ok with my run tomorrow.

bYuPride 07-03-2007 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ewth8tr (Post 96642)
There are a bunch of 5K's going on on the 4th. Here is what I was emailed from the Salt Lake Running Company a few days ago. I'm going to do the South Salt Lake one if everything goes ok with my run tomorrow.

I'll see about doing the Park City 5k... thanks for putting it in bold for me :)

ewth8tr 07-03-2007 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bYuPride (Post 96657)
I'll see about doing the Park City 5k... thanks for putting it in bold for me :)

hehe, I just cut and pasted it from my email, it was already in bold :)

TheSizzle36 07-03-2007 02:52 AM

I got depressed when I saw the challenge. A 5k for me in under 30 minutes is awesome and only been done a few times. But I need to get going again...

ewth8tr 07-03-2007 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 (Post 96672)
I got depressed when I saw the challenge. A 5k for me in under 30 minutes is awesome and only been done a few times. But I need to get going again...

come on sizzle, that 29'29 is the best I have ever run (of course, the first 5K that I ever ran was about 2 months ago :)

Runner Coug 07-03-2007 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 96567)
I am. Your times will probably crush me.

I don't know how many times I'm going to have to say it before everyone believes me...I am not fast. My marathon PR is 3:46. My half mary PR is 1:43. I'm typically in the top 15% at most races I run, but that's hardly earth shattering. I routinely get my butt kicked by old men, and young mothers pushing strollers. I'm just a hack, trying hard to keep from getting fat (again).

SteelBlue 07-03-2007 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyBalboa (Post 96635)
What did I miss while in Denver?

Is there a new CG running competition?

Yes, fastest 5k by the end of summer. Let me know your screen name and I'll invite you.

SteelBlue 07-03-2007 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 96599)

My goal is to get into the 22 minute range by end of summer. Right now your time would put you in the lead by 2 minutes but runnercoug has only posted one run and he ran 24 miles the day before.

nikuman 07-03-2007 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ewth8tr (Post 96575)

Hey, I'm quite proud of that time. It was after a 10 year break after making a 4500 gain in elevation. With practice, I'm pretty confident I get under 35 minutes, easy. Maybe I'll even do 1k of it without the 4wheeler.

Archaea 07-03-2007 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 96726)
My goal is to get into the 22 minute range by end of summer. Right now your time would put you in the lead by 2 minutes but runnercoug has only posted one run and he ran 24 miles the day before.

In fairness, I probably have a little advantage, as running is in my blood. My sister ran track and CC for BYU, making second team AA one of her years in both sports. My brother is a national class triathlete. I'm the bum of the family, athletically speaking.

I also ran sub 17 once in college(it was downhill, but you don't have to know that). Now I haven't run sub 20 in many decades, but it would be fun if it didn't hurt so bad. During intervals this morning I ran six minute miles that made me puke. So sub twenty isn't coming any time soon. My days of fast running are behind me not in front of me. There are days when I struggle to do a 24 at the end of a long run as well. So with age, one's time is not as consistent.

bigpiney 07-03-2007 06:22 PM

I would like in, even though I don't have the nano yet. still working on that one.

I am running a 10 k tomorrow morning so I will cut that time in half.

Also I did a sprint tri earlier this year and the 5 k from that was 21:48, so at least I have a base time.

SteelBlue 07-03-2007 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigpiney (Post 96867)
I would like in, even though I don't have the nano yet. still working on that one.

I am running a 10 k tomorrow morning so I will cut that time in half.

Also I did a sprint tri earlier this year and the 5 k from that was 21:48, so at least I have a base time.

You're welcome to post your times here and we'll let you know where you stand. But until you get that Nano, no electronic trophy for you pal.

bluegoose 07-03-2007 07:13 PM

Have we ever figured out if you can have more than one user for the same nano?

After the death ride next week, I plan to lace on the old running shoes again after taking 6 months off and would like to use the Nike+ to track my running. If it will work, I will definitely want in.

BTW, is your challenge private? I was trying to look it up last night and couldn't find it.

SteelBlue 07-03-2007 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluegoose (Post 96889)
Have we ever figured out if you can have more than one user for the same nano?

After the death ride next week, I plan to lace on the old running shoes again after taking 6 months off and would like to use the Nike+ to track my running. If it will work, I will definitely want in.

BTW, is your challenge private? I was trying to look it up last night and couldn't find it.

1) Yes, you can have more than one user for the same nano, but you have to buy your own chip. What's $30 to a rich business owner like you though?

2) You have to be invited to see my challenge. I never posted it. Go buy the friggin' chip and let's get you in there.

SteelBlue 07-04-2007 07:30 PM

You have to hear what I did yesterday. I did a 5k for time but set my ipod to 3 miles instead of 5k. I was hurting so bad at the end that as soon as I heard the lady say "congratulations" I shut it off and stopped running. I ran a 23:55 and was stoked to come home and put that time up in our contest as it's a significant drop in time. I realized about halfway home that I needed to run another tenth of a mile to hit the 5k. What a waste!

TheSizzle36 07-10-2007 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 97538)
You have to hear what I did yesterday. I did a 5k for time but set my ipod to 3 miles instead of 5k. I was hurting so bad at the end that as soon as I heard the lady say "congratulations" I shut it off and stopped running. I ran a 23:55 and was stoked to come home and put that time up in our contest as it's a significant drop in time. I realized about halfway home that I needed to run another tenth of a mile to hit the 5k. What a waste!

That sucks.

On the other hand, I registered my first time, and my first 5k in almost 2 months... ingrown toenail be damned. I sucked, although the first 2 miles were alright, the third kicked my ass.

I'm hoping to go again tomorrow and shave at least 2-3 minutes off of my time. I think it'd doable too...

UteStar 07-10-2007 05:28 AM

I don't have the nano or the nike+ kit...I do have a garman GPS tracker--would that work or is this only working for those with the nike+ kit?

SteelBlue 07-10-2007 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UteStar (Post 99451)
I don't have the nano or the nike+ kit...I do have a garman GPS tracker--would that work or is this only working for those with the nike+ kit?

You're welcome to post your times here and we'll compare them. But the nike+ challenge only lets you record times with the nike+ iPod system.

fusnik11 07-12-2007 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 99497)
You're welcome to post your times here and we'll compare them. But the nike+ challenge only lets you record times with the nike+ iPod system.

Did 6 miles on Sunday in 68 mins.

Did 5 miles on Monday in 55 mins.

Did 4 1/3 miles today in 42 mins.

In other words, I am fat.

SteelBlue 07-12-2007 07:27 PM

Pride, you are the only entrant not to have recorded a time. Get with the program.

bYuPride 07-12-2007 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 100858)
Pride, you are the only entrant not to have recorded a time. Get with the program.

hold on... i'm eating a ham and cheese hot pocket... i'll try and do it today.

Surfah 07-12-2007 09:41 PM

I need Nike+ but here's my time off the treadmill for 3.11 miles: 29:22. I am a fat ass.

ewth8tr 07-12-2007 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surfah33 (Post 100909)
I need Nike+ but here's my time off the treadmill for 3.11 miles: 29:22. I am a fat ass.

You'd be in 4th place right now. Here are the results so far.

SteelBlue 23:20
runnercoug 24:53
ewth8tr 28:50
nikuman 36:12
TheSizzle36 38:55

MikeWaters 07-12-2007 10:13 PM

I remember when I was in ROTC and I did the 2 mile test in something like 13min and 30sec or maybe 14 min. I talked to my friend that ran track in high school and told him my time. he said, "what , did you break your leg?"