cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   The church has spoken... (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24421)

The_Tick 11-05-2008 08:37 PM

The church has spoken...

http://newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/...marriage-votes

Go ahead and disect...

TripletDaddy 11-05-2008 08:47 PM

Woohoo! I'm not in trouble for voting no!

Tex, you have to work with me to help build the future. The Church said so. ha ha!

RockyBalboa 11-05-2008 08:50 PM

That's so bigoted.

Tex 11-05-2008 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 290665)
Woohoo! I'm not in trouble for voting no!

Tex, you have to work with me to help build the future. The Church said so. ha ha!

Racist.

TripletDaddy 11-05-2008 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 290691)
Racist.

If you refuse to work with me to build the future, you are in open rebellion against the Church and its leaders.

You were already grossly incorrect about North Carolina. Please don't make the same prideful mistake now.

I am willing to look beyond your repeated tasteless sexist and sacriligeous comments and reach across the aisle.

Tex 11-05-2008 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 290703)
If you refuse to work with me to build the future, you are in open rebellion against the Church and its leaders.

You were already grossly incorrect about North Carolina. Please don't make the same prideful mistake now.

I am willing to look beyond your repeated tasteless sexist and sacriligeous comments and reach across the aisle.

For all this my anger is not turned away, but my hand is stretched out still.

BlueHair 11-05-2008 09:38 PM

I want to thank all of the Californians that voted yes for saving us. God was ready to turn us into salt or something, but you changed his mind. I will be eternally grateful.

OrangeUte 11-05-2008 09:49 PM

"Allegations of bigotry or persecution made against the Church were and are simply wrong..."

I love this quote - it's my favorite... The Church is saying - we don't like being called bigots, and you are wrong for calling us that because we say you are wrong! Nevertheless, if it walks like a duck, sounds like a duck, and looks like a duck etc etc - - - then it's a duck! no amount of calling it something else changes the fact that it's a duck!

The church's opposition to prop 8 was bigotted and the campaign the church ran was nothing more than spreading fear and making false claims.

Tex 11-05-2008 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeUte (Post 290717)
"Allegations of bigotry or persecution made against the Church were and are simply wrong..."

I love this quote - it's my favorite... The Church is saying - we don't like being called bigots, and you are wrong for calling us that because we say you are wrong! Nevertheless, if it walks like a duck, sounds like a duck, and looks like a duck etc etc - - - then it's a duck! no amount of calling it something else changes the fact that it's a duck!

The church's opposition to prop 8 was bigotted and the campaign the church ran was nothing more than spreading fear and making false claims.

Heh. Losing sucks, doesn't it?

FMCoug 11-05-2008 10:06 PM

Quote:

Link? Please provide a link to some example of the so-called bigotry by the Church (not members on their own). The Church itself.

Jim Swarthout 11-05-2008 10:07 PM

Quote:

Amen, brother.

OrangeUte 11-05-2008 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMCoug (Post 290728)
Link? Please provide a link to some example of the so-called bigotry by the Church (not members on their own). The Church itself.

Did you see any of the Yes on 8 commercials?

LA Ute 11-05-2008 10:36 PM

"Before it accepted the invitation to join broad-based coalitions for the amendments, the Church knew that some of its members would choose not to support its position. Voting choices by Latter-day Saints, like all other people, are influenced by their own unique experiences and circumstances. As we move forward from the election, Church members need to be understanding and accepting of each other and work together for a better society."

I hate to distract form the rapier-like with of so many of you, but what hilarious comments do you have about this? Or did you just pass over that part? Or is this all just one continual joke?

creekster 11-05-2008 10:42 PM

Quote:

ANd they are bigoted simply becaseu you say so? Sholdn't you apply the same standards of proof to yourself that you are whining about when broadly painting the church? SU has gotten to you, and it is not pretty.

creekster 11-05-2008 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeUte (Post 290731)

Yes I did and I do not think they are bigoted,as a general matter. I was disturbed by some things I heard members say, but the ads (which were not the church, but the coalition, btw, and there is very much a difference) were not, generally, bigoted.

Flystripper 11-05-2008 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 290727)
Heh. Losing sucks, doesn't it?

It does not suck for me as much as it does for my friends and family that are gay, but you are right, it does suck. It sucks to have to have individual bigotry by members of the church validated. It sucks to see marriages between 2 loving gay people end. It will suck to see the marriages that have already occurred between 2 loving gay people invalidated. You are right Tex losing this battle does suck. It is a sad sad day today.

Congratulations Yes on 8 voters. Your right to discriminate was reinstated. Let's all throw a party.

creekster 11-05-2008 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueHair (Post 290715)
I want to thank all of the Californians that voted yes for saving us. God was ready to turn us into salt or something, but you changed his mind. I will be eternally grateful.

You're welcome. You're not very good at clever hyperbole, but you're welcome even so.

creekster 11-05-2008 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flystripper (Post 290761)
It does not suck for me as much as it does for my friends and family that are gay, but you are right, it does suck. It sucks to have to have individual bigotry by members of the church validated. It sucks to see marriages between 2 loving gay people end. It will suck to see the marriages that have already occurred between 2 loving gay people invalidated. You are right Tex losing this battle does suck. It is a sad sad day today.

Congratulations Yes on 8 voters. Your right to discriminate was reinstated. Let's all throw a party.

This is a crock. It ignores the many discussions we have had on thiw site in the past few weeks and sinks well below the thoughtful opinions you typically post.

Tex 11-05-2008 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flystripper (Post 290761)

I'll chock this kind of overreaction up to emotion.

Flystripper 11-05-2008 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 290763)
This is a crock. It ignores the many discussions we have had on thiw site in the past few weeks and sinks well below the thoughtful opinions you typically post.

Well that may be. I am just frustrated. It is a sad day for me and my family. Nobody likes being called a bigot. I try not to throw that word around because it is so confrontational. It is a "fighting word", but prop 8 does discriminate against gay people. It prevents them from marrying the person they love. To me that is sad. I am sorry if I am lashing out.

Jeff Lebowski 11-05-2008 11:04 PM

Once again, it is a hollow victory. This fact that they even feel the need to issue a statement like this illustrates that the battle was "won" but at tremendous cost. The church will be paying for this for a long time, IMO.

FMCoug 11-05-2008 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeUte (Post 290731)

Yes. Didn't see any bigotry there. But I guess that depends on your definition of the word.

Is the Law of Chastity bigoted? Does that mean we hate heteros who have pre-marital sex? What about the WoW?

The stuff people are willing to call bigotry today disgusts me.

OrangeUte 11-05-2008 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 290759)
ANd they are bigoted simply becaseu you say so? Sholdn't you apply the same standards of proof to yourself that you are whining about when broadly painting the church? SU has gotten to you, and it is not pretty.

oh come on. let's not get into word-play and semantics. the church was every bit as much a part of the movement as its individual members. it's like telling me i can't pierce the corporate veil even though it is just a ruse. the church condones same sex marriage because it is intolerant and bigotted on that issue. the church is intolerant toward any other opinion than its own and the message that ultimately went out (with members money, but with the church's influence deeply felt) was that or fear of something different and misunderstood, and unfortunately the prejudice being expressed was passive/aggressive and the church would never come straight out and say what it wanted to... that gay people creep us out and disgust us but we don't want to try to understand them or this issue - it's black and white!

OrangeUte 11-05-2008 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMCoug (Post 290778)
Yes. Didn't see any bigotry there. But I guess that depends on your definition of the word.

Is the Law of Chastity bigoted? Does that mean we hate heteros who have pre-marital sex? What about the WoW?

i don't know of MANY definitions of bigotry. i'm sure that there's only one... however, if i had to define the concept, i would say it is an unwavering dedication to prejudice irregardless of any argument otherwise.

i dont' have time to grab a dictionary but i would imagine it's something like that.

the church won't meet with gay members on the issue but instead puts out statements that cling to faulty logic and reasoning. bigotted. that they rely on a claim of deity/inspiration doesn't change the application of the term biggoted to the conduct except as a justification - not an exception.

BlueHair 11-05-2008 11:13 PM

Quote:

Would you support an amendment prohibiting people who broke the Law of Chastity or Word of Wisdom from marrying? If so, I would say you are a bigot.

OrangeUte 11-05-2008 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 290775)
Once again, it is a hollow victory. This fact that they even feel the need to issue a statement like this illustrates that the battle was "won" but at tremendous cost. The church will be paying for this for a long time, IMO.

very well put, Lebowski.

Tex 11-05-2008 11:16 PM

Quote:

Oh stop, already. It's a statement that recognizes it's a highly emotional issue, and it was pretty stand-up of them to phrase it that way (not that I would expect anything else).

To listen to you, you'd think the church should roll over anytime it has a position that is unpopular. With that attitude, we never would've made it out of the year 1831.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeUte (Post 290779)
oh come on. let's not get into word-play and semantics. the church was every bit as much a part of the movement as its individual members. it's like telling me i can't pierce the corporate veil even though it is just a ruse. the church condones same sex marriage because it is intolerant and bigotted on that issue. the church is intolerant toward any other opinion than its own and the message that ultimately went out (with members money, but with the church's influence deeply felt) was that or fear of something different and misunderstood, and unfortunately the prejudice being expressed was passive/aggressive and the church would never come straight out and say what it wanted to... that gay people creep us out and disgust us but we don't want to try to understand them or this issue - it's black and white!

Those who hear that message are just wallowing in their own anger. They have no interest in understanding the church's position either.

I grow weary of hearing the lame apologetics for the militaristic wing of the gay agenda.

Archaea 11-05-2008 11:18 PM

Quote:

I don't know what was won and what was lost.

The definition of marriage is preserved in California. Okay.

What did the Church lose? Favor with gays? Did it ever have any favor with gays? So, can it lose something it never had?

It invested political capital, and preserved some capital by winning. Had it lost, that would have mattered, because then it would have lost political capital and not won what it sought out to win.

Flystripper 11-05-2008 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 290784)
the militaristic wing of the gay agenda.

LOL. Thanks for that image.

Flystripper 11-05-2008 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 290784)
the militaristic wing of the gay agenda.

http://images.zwani.com/graphics/fun...y_military.jpg

bluegoose 11-05-2008 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 290786)
What did the Church lose? Favor with gays? Did it ever have any favor with gays? So, can it lose something it never had?

It loses those gay members of the church who wish to remain a part of the church, but don't feel like they have a place.

Solon 11-05-2008 11:42 PM

Quote:

This is smart thinking.

Jeff Lebowski 11-05-2008 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 290786)
I don't know what was won and what was lost.

The definition of marriage is preserved in California. Okay.

It invested political capital, and preserved some capital by winning. Had it lost, that would have mattered, because then it would have lost political capital and not won what it sought out to win.

Come on. Lots of straight people aren't happy with this.

Archaea 11-05-2008 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 290800)
Come on. Lots of straight people aren't happy with this.

Were they people we had any favor with?

OrangeUte 11-05-2008 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 290801)
Were they people we had any favor with?

the church had favor with me, some of which is lost because of this incident.

BarbaraGordon 11-05-2008 11:50 PM

Quote:

Is the Law of Chastity bigoted? Does that mean we hate heteros who have pre-marital sex?

But no one's suggesting that we create legal measures against hetero fornication, or that we end common law marriage.

FMCoug 11-05-2008 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluegoose (Post 290794)
It loses those gay members of the church who wish to remain a part of the church, but don't feel like they have a place.

Do they? Homosexuality is SUCH a problematic issue and my heart goes out to those who have to deal with it either personally or in their family. I have several gay friends who are LDS or former LDS and I really have no answer for them.

But the bottom line is this. Homosexual relationships are NOT in concert with the gospel. They just aren't. That has been made clear over and over. Since the family is central to the plan of Salvation, how do you reconcile homosexuality. You can't.

So how exactly do you make a place for them in the Church? Love them, support them in their rightous endeavors, etc. absolutely. But the bottom line is that they are not going to feel a part of the church with family relationships being such a big part of it.

I really have no answer. It's one of the "god will sort it all out" things to me.

Archaea 11-05-2008 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeUte (Post 290804)
the church had favor with me, some of which is lost because of this incident.

I can see the calculus of the Church, even though I would not have made the same decision.

Archaea 11-05-2008 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluegoose (Post 290794)

Again, if I were gay, I'd be outta here, even without this action. And I'd advise friends and family the same. This Church does not have what gays need. It's not very singles friendly either, but that's another matter. Maybe this is a silent way of admitting that.

OrangeUte 11-05-2008 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMCoug (Post 290807)
Do they? Homosexuality is SUCH a problematic issue and my heart goes out to those who have to deal with it either personally or in their family. I have several gay friends who are LDS or former LDS and I really have no answer for them.

But the bottom line is this. Homosexual relationships are NOT in concert with the gospel. They just aren't. That has been made clear over and over. Since the family is central to the plan of Salvation, how do you reconcile homosexuality. You can't.

So how exactly do you make a place for them in the Church? Love them, support them in their rightous endeavors, etc. absolutely. But the bottom line is that they are not going to feel a part of the church with family relationships being such a big part of it.

I really have no answer. It's one of the "god will sort it all out" things to me.

your error is that nobody is asking the church to make room for them at the church with prop 8 or similar measures. the church's spin included that prop 8 was a threat to religious freedoms. however, the proposition was about allowing or disallowing them to have the same civil rights as heterosexual people who can marry. it has nothing to do with the religious beliefs or organization's rights under the first amendment.