cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   What are your top 5 sports movies? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23808)

cougjunkie 10-20-2008 12:17 AM

What are your top 5 sports movies?

My list:

1. Hoosiers
2. Rocky I the original
3. Raging Bull
4. Victory
5. Brians Song

Let me say that I also do enjoy all of the Disney renditions as well. Remember the Titans, Coach Carter, Glory Road, Invincible, The Rookie and Miracle.

TripletDaddy 10-20-2008 12:39 AM

I can't pick a top 5, and I agree with all of yours, but a few others in no particular order that may also make my list...also, not sure how you are interpreting "sports movies"....but I am listing movies whose central theme revolve around a specific sport....not just a traditional movie that follows a team, a la Remember the Titans....

Breaking Away
The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh (campy, but classic....even NBA players dig it)
The Natural
Slap Shot
Caddyshack
The Hustler
North Shore
Searching for Bobby Fischer

One that does NOT make my list is Chariots of Fire. With the exception of the courtyard race scene, too boring. Sorry, Vangelis!

Also, never saw $1,000,000 Baby, but heard it was very good.

cougjunkie 10-20-2008 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 281546)
I can't pick a top 5, and I agree with all of yours, but a few others in no particular order that may also make my list...also, not sure how you are interpreting "sports movies"....but I am listing movies whose central theme revolve around a specific sport....not just a traditional movie that follows a team, a la Remember the Titans....

Breaking Away
The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh (campy, but classic....even NBA players dig it)
The Natural
Slap Shot
Caddyshack
The Hustler
North Shore
Searching for Bobby Fischer

One that does NOT make my list is Chariots of Fire. With the exception of the courtyard race scene, too boring. Sorry, Vangelis!

Also, never saw $1,000,000 Baby, but heard it was very good.

Million dollar baby and Cinderella man were both decent.

Another one that I guess would be considered a sports movie now is Rounders. I love that movie.

RockyBalboa 10-20-2008 01:29 AM

Rocky movies
The Natural
Hoosiers
Remember The Titans
Cinderella Man
Seabiscuit
Victory

Lots of other ones.

Jeff Lebowski 10-20-2008 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougjunkie (Post 281550)
Million dollar baby and Cinderella man were both decent.

Another one that I guess would be considered a sports movie now is Rounders. I love that movie.

I loved Rounders too. Great flick.

Brian 10-20-2008 01:53 AM

Rocky 1
Million dollar baby
Cinderella Man
Breaking away
Rudy

YOhio 10-20-2008 01:55 AM

Gus was sweet. Imagine if you could really use a mule as your field goal kicker.

Vision Quest combined wrestling with drifter sex. Not a bad combo.

I enjoyed my cameo for the locker room scene in Any Given Sunday.

Any time you put Scott Bakula and Sinbad in a film you know you have a hit, which is what you got with Necessary Roughness.

If just for the killer soundtrack Ice Castles has to round out the top five.

TripletDaddy 10-20-2008 02:02 AM

Imagine sitting in on this pitch:

"We want to make a sports movie. Tim Conway, Don Knotts, Dick Van Patten, mules, football....and Tom Bosley falls into a glass case of live lobsters. What do you think?"

Answer: OYAGE!

RC Vikings 10-20-2008 02:56 AM

1. Hoosiers - Great movie
2. Downhill Racer - Early Redford
3. Caddyshack - no other movie is quoted as much
4. Breaking Away - Being all consumed with cycling was something I could relate to.
5. Slap Shot - I think they are still playing this as a first run movie in Canada.

I thought about the first Rocky but the fight scenes were just to unrealistic. I wish he had stopped at one.

BarbaraGordon 10-20-2008 03:16 AM

Does Jerry Maguire count?

cougjunkie 10-20-2008 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 281587)
Does Jerry Maguire count?

You had me at Hell NO!

BarbaraGordon 10-20-2008 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougjunkie (Post 281588)
You had me at Hell NO!

But it has my two favorite actors!

RC Vikings 10-20-2008 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 281590)
But it has my two favorite actors!

Jay Mohr and Bonnie Hunt?

BarbaraGordon 10-20-2008 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RC Vikings (Post 281592)
Jay Mohr and Bonnie Hunt?

Tom Cruise and Barry Switzer.

il Padrino Ute 10-20-2008 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougjunkie (Post 281545)
My list:

1. Hoosiers
2. Rocky I the original
3. Raging Bull
4. Victory
5. Brians Song

Let me say that I also do enjoy all of the Disney renditions as well. Remember the Titans, Coach Carter, Glory Road, Invincible, The Rookie and Miracle.

Which Brian's Song? The one with Caan and Billy Dee? Or the other one that shouldn't have been made?

il Padrino Ute 10-20-2008 04:15 AM

No given order:

Rudy
Hoosiers
The Natural
8 Men Out
Caddyshack

Runners-up:

Gus
The Prize Fighter

TripletDaddy 10-20-2008 04:25 AM

I will also cop to watching and enjoying The Champ.

Is anyone else man enough to admit to crying over Ricky Schroeder's emotional pleas?

Levin 10-20-2008 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyBalboa (Post 281555)
Cinderella

Homo.

SteelBlue 10-20-2008 04:47 AM

Has anyone tried to sit through Caddyshack recently? I find the Rodney Dangerfield portions to be nearly unwatchable. The rest of the flick stands the test of time quite well.

Now, to my main point: how the hell does nobody have Karate Kid on the list? Allow me to be the first.

1) Hoosiers
2) Rudy
3) Karate Kid
4) Rocky I
5) Breaking Away

Jeff Lebowski 10-20-2008 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 281627)
I will also cop to watching and enjoying The Champ.

Is anyone else man enough to admit to crying over Ricky Schroeder's emotional pleas?

One of my old girlfriends thought this was the best movie ever she had ever seen so I agreed to see it with her. I told her I thought it was emotionally manipulative garbage. Things went downhill for us from there.

TripletDaddy 10-20-2008 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 281633)
Has anyone tried to sit through Caddyshack recently? I find the Rodney Dangerfield portions to be nearly unwatchable. The rest of the flick stands the test of time quite well.

Now, to my main point: how the hell does nobody have Karate Kid on the list? Allow me to be the first.

1) Hoosiers
2) Rudy
3) Karate Kid
4) Rocky I
5) Breaking Away

Are you crazy?

"Oh, this is the worst looking hat I ever saw.....what, when you buy a hat like this I bet you get a free bowl of soup........oh, it looks good on you, though..."

"I hear this place is restricted Wang, so don't tell them your Jewish, okay? Fine."

"Tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've have better food at the ball game...this steak still has marks where the jockey was hitting it..."

"Hey, you scratched my anchor..."

I still crack up when he goes into the golf shop and asks for a box of the "naked lady tees"

TripletDaddy 10-20-2008 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 281634)
One of my old girlfriends thought this was the best movie ever she had ever seen so I agreed to see it with her. I told her I thought it was emotionally manipulative garbage. Things went downhill for us from there.

I suppose you didn't care much for the Church's "Families Are Forever" filmstrip, either?

il Padrino Ute 10-20-2008 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 281633)

I am one that never tires of Caddyshack. Not even Rodney. I love his one-liners as much today than when the movie was in the theaters.

"You scratched my anchor!" will always make me laugh.

RC Vikings 10-20-2008 05:29 AM

No one has mentioned "Field of Dreams". One of my friends has this near the top of his list and told me before I saw it that if you had ever played catch with your dad you would shed a tear or two. I saw it and it didn't do a thing for me. What are your thoughts on this movie?

TripletDaddy 10-20-2008 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RC Vikings (Post 281649)
No one has mentioned "Field of Dreams". One of my friends has this near the top of his list and told me before I saw it that if you had ever played catch with your dad you would shed a tear or two. I saw it and it didn't do a thing for me. What are your thoughts on this movie?

i think it is a good movie, but Kevin Costner is one of the worst actors of our time.

his being in the movie is what made me keep it off the list. but truthfully, i like it.

i never cried, though. didnt think it was THAT good.

I enjoyed 8 men out, now that I think about it (nothing to do with FOD, but just thought of it because they are both baseball movies)

il Padrino Ute 10-20-2008 05:46 AM

Quote:

If it had been someone other than Costner, it would be a great movie. He is why I never saw For the Love of the Game.

cougjunkie 10-20-2008 07:03 AM

How did I forget the original Major League?

Surfah 10-20-2008 01:37 PM

Kevin Costner isn't a bad actor. He's made some lousy movies for sure. But Field of Dreams isn't one of them. It's also a great book. Field of Dreams is my all time favorite movie. I think Bill Simmons wrote an article a while back that Kevin Costner and Dennis Quaid could be interchanged in any movie for each other. I couldn't disagree with that.

1. Field of Dreams
2. Hoosiers
3. Brian's Song
4. Chariots of Fire
5. The Natural

Honorable Mention: Tin Cup, The Longest Yard, 61*, Bull Durham, Rad, Gleaming the Cube, North Shore, Endless Summer 1 & 2, and the two best snowboarding movies ever Shakedown and Chulksmack.

RockyBalboa 10-20-2008 02:01 PM

Quote:

One of the most overated Sports movies ever made.

Boring from beginning to end.

And sorry, it's just not that emotional.

DrumNFeather 10-20-2008 02:04 PM

I like many of the ones mentioned...with Miracle probably toping the list, although I can turn Rudy on at any minute and be glued.

Also, the Greatest Game Ever Played is a very good movie, and I'd throw in A League of Their Own...strictly for Tom Hanks.

Oh, and the Hurricane.

smokymountainrain 10-20-2008 02:06 PM

Hoosiers
The Natural
Rocky I
Major League
Hoop Dreams

RockyBalboa 10-20-2008 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrumNFeather (Post 281680)
I like many of the ones mentioned...with Miracle probably toping the list, although I can turn Rudy on at any minute and be glued.

Also, the Greatest Game Ever Played is a very good movie, and I'd throw in A League of Their Own...strictly for Tom Hanks.

Oh, and the Hurricane.

Jon Favreau still makes me laugh in Rudy...."Oh yeah..sorry...I'm not allowed to say Goddamn anymore."

Sleeping in EQ 10-20-2008 02:11 PM

Rocky
Searching for Bobby Fisher
Caddyshack
Hoosiers
The Hustler

Raging Bull is great, but for some reason I don't have the urge to watch it again.

marsupial 10-20-2008 03:26 PM

If a movie about chess counts, then I submit Best in Show, which should also count.

I also really liked Cinderella Man. It made me cry, not the boxing part, but when Renee Zellweger couldn't help her sick, hungry and cold children.

And Rocky, Remember the Titans and Miracle

And I HATED Jerry Maguire. Sorry Babs.

TripletDaddy 10-20-2008 05:01 PM

I liked Remember the Titans, until I learned about the real Titans team and realized that all of the drama in the movie was fabricated. That movie is really light years away from being accurate....and most of the original appeal was that it was billed as a true story....or at least fairly close to a true story.

cougjunkie 10-20-2008 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 281741)
I liked Remember the Titans, until I learned about the real Titans team and realized that all of the drama in the movie was fabricated. That movie is really light years away from being accurate....and most of the original appeal was that it was billed as a true story....or at least fairly close to a true story.

http://www.71originaltitans.com/locker.html

Everything you want to know about the truth.

FarrahWaters 10-20-2008 05:51 PM

Field of Dreams
Fever Pitch (the original British one w/Colin Firth)

BigFatMeanie 10-20-2008 07:15 PM

A "sports movie" about motorcycle racing that I really enjoyed was The World's Fastest Indian

Lots of great shots of Salt Lake City and Wendover. I particularly loved Anthony Hopkins eating in the Dees Restaurant.

Gets an 8.0 out of 10 on IMDB. Certainly worth renting or adding to your NetFlix queue.

bluegoose 10-20-2008 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marsupial (Post 281703)
If a movie about chess counts, then I submit Best in Show, which should also count.

Is there another Best in Show, aside from the Christopher Guest one about the National Dog Show?

I would agree that this one should count as one of the great sports movies of all time.

il Padrino Ute 10-20-2008 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie (Post 281830)
A "sports movie" about motorcycle racing that I really enjoyed was The World's Fastest Indian

Lots of great shots of Salt Lake City and Wendover. I particularly loved Anthony Hopkins eating in the Dees Restaurant.

Gets an 8.0 out of 10 on IMDB. Certainly worth renting or adding to your NetFlix queue.

I liked The World's Fastest Indian. It was a fun movie. Anthony Hopkins was great and I liked how his character was one of those types that just go with the flow.

The scene on the Salt Flats when he opens up his Indian is great.