cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Food (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Spam casserole (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7555)

BarbaraGordon 04-10-2007 04:19 AM

Here you go, Y, in case you want to try.
I regret that the nutrition info is not available for this recipe:

Title: FRENCH FRY SPAM CASSEROLE
Categories: Main dish
Yield: 8 servings

1 pk Frozen french fry potatoes,
-thawed (20 oz)
2 c Shredded Cheddar cheese
2 c Sour cream
1 cn Condensed cream of chicken
-soup (10 3/4 oz)
1 cn SPAM Luncheon Meat, cubed
-(12 oz)
1/2 c Chopped red bell pepper
1/2 c Chopped green onion
1/2 c Finely crushed corn flakes

Heat oven to 350'F. In large bowl, combine potatoes, cheese, sour
cream, and soup. Stir in SPAM, bell pepper, and green onion. Spoon
into 13x9" baking dish. Sprinkle with crushed flakes. Bake 30-40
minutes or until thoroughly heated.

YOhio 04-10-2007 04:21 AM

That is so weak. I want to hear your review of the recipe, not the recipe.

ute4ever 04-10-2007 04:21 AM

Looks like gourmet funeral potatoes. Which is fitting, since the fat and cholesterol will do you in.

BarbaraGordon 04-10-2007 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 71920)

Right. I thought in order for the experiment to be more valid, we need more families to participate. Plus, I don't want anyone left out from this kind of haute cuisine.

Seems like it's missing something though...I might top it with Velveeta.

Jeff Lebowski 04-10-2007 04:48 AM

Oh my. That is classic. I am doing all I can to not hurl on my keyboard.

danimal 04-10-2007 05:15 AM

Call me crazy, I like fried spam. I hear it's big on the Islands.

SeattleUte 04-10-2007 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 71920)

I thought her understated approach was masterful, very dry. "Here you go..."

SeattleUte 04-10-2007 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danimal (Post 71927)

No. 1 place per capita for spam consumption is Alaska. I bet it' is big on the islands.

SeattleUte 04-10-2007 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 71919)
Here you go, Y, in case you want to try.
I regret that the nutrition info is not available for this recipe:

Title: FRENCH FRY SPAM CASSEROLE
Categories: Main dish
Yield: 8 servings

1 pk Frozen french fry potatoes,
-thawed (20 oz)
2 c Shredded Cheddar cheese
2 c Sour cream
1 cn Condensed cream of chicken
-soup (10 3/4 oz)
1 cn SPAM Luncheon Meat, cubed
-(12 oz)
1/2 c Chopped red bell pepper
1/2 c Chopped green onion
1/2 c Finely crushed corn flakes

Heat oven to 350'F. In large bowl, combine potatoes, cheese, sour
cream, and soup. Stir in SPAM, bell pepper, and green onion. Spoon
into 13x9" baking dish. Sprinkle with crushed flakes. Bake 30-40
minutes or until thoroughly heated.

I bet more than one lurker and registrant here will try this. Indy? Balboa? Are you there? This seems right up your alley.

marsupial 04-10-2007 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danimal (Post 71927)

Fried Spam is a special Christmas treat for the Danimals. I tried to talk Danimal into starting our own Christmas breakfast tradition--like homemade cinnamon rolls or something else edible--but no, he still wants his Spam.

Surfah 04-10-2007 10:43 PM

I love spam. It is a staple in Hawaii. Fried spam and eggs over rice is one of my favorite meals. I also love spam musubi.

danimal 04-11-2007 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surfah33 (Post 72122)
I love spam. It is a staple in Hawaii. Fried spam and eggs over rice is one of my favorite meals. I also love spam musubi.

Finally a voice of reason.

YOhio 04-11-2007 01:01 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by danimal (Post 72142)
Finally a voice of reason.

It's too bad Barbara Gordon thinks so little of your culinary preferences and she makes fun of Spam. I'm sorry you have to go through that.

BarbaraGordon 04-11-2007 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 72144)
It's too bad Barbara Gordon thinks so little of your culinary preferences and she makes fun of Spam. I'm sorry you have to go through that.

It's a tough job being the board bully, but somebody's got to do it.

il Padrino Ute 04-11-2007 02:49 AM

Quote:

My son has played football with a number of Polynesians the last few years and they brought some fried spam and eggs over rice for the entire team and families to eat after the last game of the season last year. It was awesome. I love the stuff now.

MikeWaters 04-11-2007 02:51 AM

This reminds me of when I first arrived in a very isolated part of my mission in the Pacific. My companion says we are going to eat NorMeat for dinner. I ask what that is.

"You know how spam is fake meat? NorMeat is fake spam."

It was so nasty it could only be eaten in Spaghetti. We couldn't afford Spam.

danimal 04-11-2007 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 72144)

It only confirms what I have long suspected -- underneath the innocent librarian facade is a ruthless anti-spamite.

YOhio 04-11-2007 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danimal (Post 72190)
It only confirms what I have long suspected -- underneath the innocent librarian facade is a ruthless anti-spamite.

Terrific point. If she is serious about overcoming her anti-spamitic tendencies, she would individually apologize to each spam lover on the board for her hurtful words.

danimal 04-12-2007 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 72244)
Terrific point. If she is serious about overcoming her anti-spamitic tendencies, she would individually apologize to each spam lover on the board for her hurtful words.

Well, we're waiting...

ute4ever 04-12-2007 04:06 AM

Hijack

Speaking of spam, I've been meaning to try a lobster thermidor aux crevettes with a Mornay sauce, garnished with truffle paté, brandy, and with a fried egg on top, and spam.

Detroitdad 04-12-2007 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ute4ever (Post 72721)
Hijack

Speaking of spam, I've been meaning to try a lobster thermidor aux crevettes with a Mornay sauce, garnished with truffle paté, brandy, and with a fried egg on top, and spam.

UNHIJACK

My family always had spam fondue for Christmas brunch. That way we could mix the white trash wonder, Spam, with an elite European sensibility. Which fits quite well with our family demographic (minus the European sensibilities). Perhaps the Danisupials could try this for a Christmas tradition as well.

BarbaraGordon 04-18-2007 03:24 AM

So, just for the heck of it, I decided to feed this recipe (listed above) to my family the other day, without disclosing the contents.

Thoughts:

1. This little recipe actually turns out to be rather pricey, all told.

2. The casserole weighs about 15 lbs.

3. Spam Lite both smells and sounds not unlike dog food when it comes out of the can.

4. The husband cannot differentiate between spam and ham. Quote: "Wow, this is really good ham!!" (as he picks all the "ham" out of the casserole)

5. For a limited time only, if you send in five lids, you get a free 70th anniversary SPAM t-shirt. I'm not making that up.

6. The cans also explicitly state "70th anniversary edition." I sincerely hope it's the brand name that's turning 70 and not the actual contents of the can.

YOhio 04-18-2007 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 74564)
So, just for the heck of it, I decided to feed this recipe (listed above) to my family the other day, without disclosing the contents.

Thoughts:

3. Spam Lite both smells and sounds not unlike dog food when it comes out of the can.

4. The husband cannot differentiate between spam and ham. Quote: "Wow, this is really good ham!!" (as he picks all the "ham" out of the casserole)

5. For a limited time only, if you send in five lids, you get a free 70th anniversary SPAM t-shirt. I'm not making that up.

6. The cans also explicitly state "70th anniversary edition." I sincerely hope it's the brand name that's turning 70 and not the actual contents of the can.

So, did you like it?

BarbaraGordon 04-18-2007 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 74568)
So, did you like it?

um, no.

il Padrino Ute 04-18-2007 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 74571)
um, no.

That's because you ate it with a closed mind. You knew what was in it and had your preconceived idea about how it would be.

;)

Jeff Lebowski 04-18-2007 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 74564)

Thoughts:

Ms. Gordon, I just reported this unfortunate incident of child abuse to Child Protective Services for the state of Oklahoma. Expect a visit soon.

RockyBalboa 04-18-2007 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 74582)
That's because you ate it with a closed mind. You knew what was in it and had your preconceived idea about how it would be.

;)

This is what Sushi lovers always tell me.

Sushi is a trendy fad. Every time I tell a new girl I meet that i don't like Sushi the response is always the same..."Oh well you just haven't tried it with me yet or been to the right place."

"Okay then let's go to the right place with you."

We do.

Sushi still sucks.

Jeff Lebowski 04-18-2007 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyBalboa (Post 74614)

Sushi is a trendy fad. Every time I tell a new girl I meet that i don't like Sushi the response is always the same..."Oh well you just haven't tried it with me yet or been to the right place."

We do.

Sushi still sucks.

How dare you mention sushi in the same thread as spam casserole? Blashpemy.

Jeff Lebowski 04-18-2007 02:26 PM

My wife knows that I hate casseroles so we have a good time joking about them. Whenever we go to my MIL's house she cooks a casserole for us made of tater tots, hamburger, processed cheese, sour cream, cream of mushroom soup, etc. It is all I can do to gag it down but my wife keeps giving me that glare that says "you will pretend to like it and keep your mouth shut or you won't get any sex for a month." Yes, ma'am.

We found a casserole cookbook a while back and had a good time reading through it. My favorite entry was "Weenie Mix-up". I can't remember all of the ingredients, but it had chopped up hot dogs and two cups (not a typo) of ketchup. Yuummmmm....

BarbaraGordon 04-18-2007 02:32 PM

Quote:

That's because we're right. Sushi rocks.

BarbaraGordon 04-18-2007 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 74618)
My wife knows that I hate casseroles so we have a good time joking about them.

Flash feels the same way. Casseroles are strictly forbidden. So I couldn't resist making a french fried creamed chicken spam casserole just to see the reaction.

I like the sound of your beanie weanies casserole, too. I might try that one for next April Fools.

FarrahWaters 04-18-2007 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 74618)
My wife knows that I hate casseroles so we have a good time joking about them. Whenever we go to my MIL's house she cooks a casserole for us made of tater tots, hamburger, processed cheese, sour cream, cream of mushroom soup, etc. It is all I can do to gag it down but my wife keeps giving me that glare that says "you will pretend to like it and keep your mouth shut or you won't get any sex for a month." Yes, ma'am.

My roomate's specialty was a "taco casserole" with ground beef , taco sauce, cream of chicken and cream of mushroom, and topped off with a bag of doritos and lots of cheese. That's a couple days worth of sodium intake right there.

When the missionaries came over for dinner, I used to make them things like gyoza, until Mike told me most missionaries wanted more homey, 'comfort' food. So now I make them this chicken dish made with a sauce of cream of chicken, sour cream, and monterey jack cheese, topped with ritz cracker crumbs. They can't get enough of that.

Oh, and Barbara, thank Flash and the kids for being unwilling guinea pigs in the spam casserole experiment.

FarrahWaters 04-18-2007 03:11 PM

Quote:

We do.

Sushi still sucks.

Sushi IS trendy now, most people didn't want to eat it 20 years ago. I love the melding of different textures and tastes in sushi (of course I grew up eating it), but people who love sushi don't eat it because it's a fad.

RockyBalboa 04-18-2007 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarrahWaters (Post 74648)
Sushi IS trendy now, most people didn't want to eat it 20 years ago. I love the melding of different textures and tastes in sushi (of course I grew up eating it), but people who love sushi don't eat it because it's a fad.

Every Sushi I've tried it's all I can do to muscle it past the gag reflex.

It's the only food I've tried where I have to physically & literally work at not throwing it back up. Nevertheless I always try a new one thinking okay..."so I'm not being close minded".

I will admit it is funny to see the looks on the faces of the people I go with who swore after I went with them that I'd love it. They just can't believe that someone would hate it that much.

BarbaraGordon 04-18-2007 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyBalboa (Post 74657)
Every Sushi I've tried it's all I can do to muscle it past the gag reflex.

Good gracious, I wonder what you're eating.

marsupial 04-18-2007 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarrahWaters (Post 74648)

I like sushi because it gives me something to put my wasabi on.

Surfah 04-18-2007 06:54 PM

I love sushi. And I love spam in sushi. Spam musubi at the beach with a cold Hawaiian Sun drink in hand is the best.

I love nigiri and rolls though. I've eaten sushi most of my life. Sashimi too. I love it all.

My great grandmother was born in Waipio Valley but she was full Japanese and her parents were imigrants by the name of Kawashima who came to Hawaii to work the sugarcane plantations in Honoka'a on the Big Island around the turn of the century.

ute4ever 04-18-2007 07:19 PM

Quote:

Sushi still sucks.

Do you dislike all sushi or only the large pieces of actual raw fish? Because the various "rolls" contain things you may like such as rice and vegetables, with only 25% or so being actual raw fish.

For example, go to Ra and try a Las Vegas Roll.

BarbaraGordon 04-18-2007 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ute4ever (Post 74793)
Do you dislike all sushi or only the large pieces of actual raw fish? Because the various "rolls" contain things you may like such as rice and vegetables, with only 25% or so being actual raw fish.

Yeah, there's so much variety it seems like there'd have to be SOMETHING for Rocky to eat. Flash prefers the nigiri sushi and sashimi but I prefer maki.

RockyBalboa 04-18-2007 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ute4ever (Post 74793)

Next time in Vegas I'll give it a try.

A few days ago while at The Happy Sumo, they only had room for one at the bar area where you can watch them make it, so I did that.

I was surprised to see that some kinds of sushi have chicken in them instead.

I can't stand seaweed...that stuff is disgusting. I've tried probably 7-8 different kinds of sushi and have hated them all. It might be a texture problem. I just know I don't like it. However, I'm still open to trying the kinds I haven't tasted yet.

I'll always try anything food wise once.