cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   My problem with the Collie quote (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14246)

mpfunk 11-25-2007 09:40 PM

My problem with the Collie quote

My wife was reading the comment over my shoulder, and her reaction to the comment was that Collie was saying that God intervened in the victory. I think this is a very dangerous road to go down and one that is frankly contrary to the Gospel.

Success in life is not connected to righteousness. A person can be a great person, live every commandment to the best of his abilities, and still not be a great success in life. It happens. Collie didn't just thank God as some BYU fans want to characterize it as, he said God intervened in the game. He is saying they won because they are righteous. Well if you play that game, really doesn't that mean when BYU lost it must be because they are sinning?

This is the same type of ridiculous thought that has people going into debt to get that boat that Brother Jones got, so they look righteous and successful like Brother Jones. It is a dangerous thought process.

Not only that Collie when he makes comments like that, seems like the type that had no problem telling me when I was growing up that I wasn't a good Mormon because I was a Ute fan.

By the way Collie should go read the Book of Job.

MikeWaters 11-25-2007 09:43 PM

So if you have off the field problems, those have no chance of impacting a team?

Kind of a bizarre position to take IMO, given all the crimes and suspensions, academic ineligibility, etc. in todays college football.

TheSizzle36 11-25-2007 09:45 PM

Funk, you are letting the quote get to you. Your biggest problem with the quote is that BYU won. Let it slide...

exUte 11-25-2007 09:45 PM

From the person who actually got the quote

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 154583)
So if you have off the field problems, those have no chance of impacting a team?

Kind of a bizarre position to take IMO, given all the crimes and suspensions, academic ineligibility, etc. in todays college football.

from Collie, that was the clear intention of what he said.

mpfunk 11-25-2007 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 154583)

I don't have a problem if Collie says that living right helps them be more successful. The problem I have is Collie saying that God intervened in the game. That is the problem I have with it. That is why Collie's thinking is off base.

mpfunk 11-25-2007 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exUte (Post 154585)
from Collie, that was the clear intention of what he said.

Well if that was his clear intention, why didn't he say that. He said that God intervened.

TheSizzle36 11-25-2007 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpfunk (Post 154586)
I don't have a problem if Collie says that living right helps them be more successful. The problem I have is Collie saying that God intervened in the game. That is the problem I have with it. That is why Collie's thinking is off base.

Do you have the Collie quote where he mentions God? I've looked and haven't seen it. I'm interested in seeing what he said.

exUte 11-25-2007 09:50 PM

What exactly did he say?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpfunk (Post 154581)
My wife was reading the comment over my shoulder, and her reaction to the comment was that Collie was saying that God intervened in the victory. I think this is a very dangerous road to go down and one that is frankly contrary to the Gospel.

Success in life is not connected to righteousness. A person can be a great person, live every commandment to the best of his abilities, and still not be a great success in life. It happens. Collie didn't just thank God as some BYU fans want to characterize it as, he said God intervened in the game. He is saying they won because they are righteous. Well if you play that game, really doesn't that mean when BYU lost it must be because they are sinning?

This is the same type of ridiculous thought that has people going into debt to get that boat that Brother Jones got, so they look righteous and successful like Brother Jones. It is a dangerous thought process.

Not only that Collie when he makes comments like that, seems like the type that had no problem telling me when I was growing up that I wasn't a good Mormon because I was a Ute fan.

Why is it ok for Utes to call BYU fans f....ing Mormons, but Collie can't refer to God. Did Dungy get the same kind of crap when he brought God into the Colts success last year. Athletes do it all the time.

mpfunk 11-25-2007 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 (Post 154584)
Funk, you are letting the quote get to you. Your biggest problem with the quote is that BYU won. Let it slide...

Sizzle as someone who had adults tell me, when I was a kid, that I wasn't a good Mormon because I was a Ute fan. No the problem I have with that quote isn't that BYU won.

The problem is the type of thought process quotes like that generate.

exUte 11-25-2007 09:52 PM

BTW........I think part of Scalley's and

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpfunk (Post 154591)
Sizzle as someone who had adults tell me, when I was a kid, that I wasn't a good Mormon because I was a Ute fan. No the problem I have with that quote isn't that BYU won.

The problem is the type of thought process quotes like that generate.

Weddle's success on the field was due to their success off the field. I think they were blessed with physical talents to perform at a higher level. Were they blessed, sure.

TheSizzle36 11-25-2007 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpfunk (Post 154591)
Sizzle as someone who had adults tell me, when I was a kid, that I wasn't a good Mormon because I was a Ute fan.

And you think that they were 100% serious with you? This is no different than the guy who brought my dad a plastic knife to church and told him he could use it to slit his wrists when Utah beat BYU this year.

As a kid I had teachers give me crap about being a BYU fan, it didn't get to me. It doesn't mean it's in the right but seriously, if you are STILL harboring ill feelings because of that, it's time to let it go.

MikeWaters 11-25-2007 09:55 PM

MP, are you offended when athletes score touchdowns and point in the sky to God, or cross themselves while kneeling?

BYU71 11-25-2007 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpfunk (Post 154581)

I am undecided. If in fact Collie meant BYU has better people and the Lord intervened, then I am very uncomfortable with the statement. If he meant he has worked hard, lived a good life as he believes he should and therefor the Lord helped him to make the play, I have no problem.

I wish true believers would let their actions speak for themselves and then let other people draw their own conclusions.

My other opinion is Ute fans are way overreacting. Just are some BYU fans who feel the need hint that people at BYU are better than people other places. The prophet has warned against such attitudes in numerous conf. talks.

exUte 11-25-2007 10:06 PM

That's exactly what Collie meant........

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYU71 (Post 154598)
I am undecided. If in fact Collie meant BYU has better people and the Lord intervened, then I am very uncomfortable with the statement. If he meant he has worked hard, lived a good life as he believes he should and therefor the Lord helped him to make the play, I have no problem.

I wish true believers would let their actions speak for themselves and then let other people draw their own conclusions.

My other opinion is Ute fans are way overreacting. Just are some BYU fans who feel the need hint that people at BYU are better than people other places. The prophet has warned against such attitudes in numerous conf. talks.

But then again, you're not going to change anyone's mind. People who think BYU fans are self righteous, will never change their opinion.

I wonder if the active LDS Ute fan considers the fact that they may believe in the 'only true church' might appear self righteous to those of other faiths.

Colly Wolly 11-25-2007 10:14 PM

How long before you think you'll be able to get over this "problem"?

il Padrino Ute 11-25-2007 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exUte (Post 154589)
Why is it ok for Utes to call BYU fans f....ing Mormons, but Collie can't refer to God. Did Dungy get the same kind of crap when he brought God into the Colts success last year. Athletes do it all the time.

Because you are an example of a f...ing Mormon. Others Mormons are plain old' Mormons.

RockyBalboa 11-25-2007 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 (Post 154584)

Bingo.

RockyBalboa 11-25-2007 11:09 PM

The fake outrage being expressed by Yewt "fans" has been amusing to watch.

If Collie were trolling for responses he just proved how easy it was to bait the other fanbase into an orgy of fake indignation.

RockyBalboa 11-25-2007 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 154596)
MP, are you offended when athletes score touchdowns and point in the sky to God, or cross themselves while kneeling?

Yes because Funk likes to try pretending he's Politically Correct.

jay santos 11-25-2007 11:16 PM

When Collie caught the long bomb on 4th and 18 and when Harvey took it in for the touchdown, I was going crazy screaming and overcome with joy and happiness.

It was the last thing I was thinking of during that moment, but now a day later, people like Funk and Seattle experiencing serious spiritual torture over hating and losing to what they both know is the Lord's church's university's football team is just an added bonus.

il Padrino Ute 11-25-2007 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 154630)
When Collie caught the long bomb on 4th and 18 and when Harvey took it in for the touchdown, I was going crazy screaming and overcome with joy and happiness.

It was the last thing I was thinking of during that moment, but now a day later, people like Funk and Seattle experiencing serious spiritual torture over hating and losing to what they both know is the Lord's church's university's football team is just an added bonus.

So, you find joy in other's suffering?

WWJD?

MikeWaters 11-25-2007 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 154631)

WWJD?

Yes. that is why the only time I read utefans is when we beat the utes.

UtahDan 11-25-2007 11:22 PM

My view is that BYU is the LDS church's university and so there are plenty of things that it does or that happen there that can easily be extrapolated to "the church." In my opinion, the comments of one kid after a football game are not in that category. For crying out loud, the church can't always keep its thumb on what general authorities say. We warn that the prophet doesn't always speak as a prophet. So trying to divine something about the church from the single comment of a player (even if he meant what was suggested) is a stretch, IMO.

il Padrino Ute 11-25-2007 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UtahDan (Post 154634)
My view is that BYU is the LDS church's university and so there are plenty of things that it does or that happen there that can easily extrapolated to "the church." In my opinion, the comments of one kid after a football game are not in that category. For crying out loud, the church can't always keep its thumb on what general authorities say. We warn that the prophet doesn't always speak as a prophet. So trying to divine something about the church from the single comment of a player (even if he meant what was suggested) is a strech, IMO.

Agree completely.

il Padrino Ute 11-25-2007 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 154632)
Yes. that is why the only time I read utefans is when we beat the utes.

I have no problem with that at all. Like me, you're a weasel. ;)

il Padrino Ute 11-25-2007 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 (Post 154588)
Do you have the Collie quote where he mentions God? I've looked and haven't seen it. I'm interested in seeing what he said.

It's not a big deal to me, but here it is in his own voice from The Fan's website. He does indeed mention the Lord:

http://www.thefansports.com/blog/1/c...llie%20god.mp3

mp - don't click the link, my friend. You don't need the aggravation.

mpfunk 11-26-2007 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 (Post 154595)
And you think that they were 100% serious with you? This is no different than the guy who brought my dad a plastic knife to church and told him he could use it to slit his wrists when Utah beat BYU this year.

As a kid I had teachers give me crap about being a BYU fan, it didn't get to me. It doesn't mean it's in the right but seriously, if you are STILL harboring ill feelings because of that, it's time to let it go.

Sizzle I can tell the difference when someone is serious and someone is joking. People joked with me all the time about this stuff, and I would joke back with them. The problem is that a minority in that group were serious. If you don't think this exists, I can show you plenty of examples online of dickheads you say it is wrong to root against BYU. Here is one example, I can pull a lot more.
http://www.utefans.net/message.php?i...#message531900

myboynoah 11-26-2007 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpfunk (Post 154685)
Sizzle I can tell the difference when someone is serious and someone is joking. People joked with me all the time about this stuff, and I would joke back with them. The problem is that a minority in that group were serious. If you don't think this exists, I can show you plenty of examples online of dickheads you say it is wrong to root against BYU. Here is one example, I can pull a lot more.
http://www.utefans.net/message.php?i...#message531900

Why do you let this stuff bother you? Seems like a lot of energy spent on something kind of trivial. Let's say this guy is legit, then so what. That he would feel this way has very little impact on the rest of us.

Brian 11-26-2007 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 154630)

It's just another university to me.
[trying to parse all those apostrophes....]

exUte 11-26-2007 06:22 AM

Nice. And il's vulgarity posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 154622)
Because you are an example of a f...ing Mormon. Others Mormons are plain old' Mormons.

continue. Ever read what Pres. Hinckley has said about vulgarity and profanity? But then I guess it doesn't apply because you aren't a member of the Church. Or if you are, you are a piss poor example of what the Church represents. Unless of course, you think the prophet is up in the night.

You may guess if I think I am self righteous. However, your documented posts leave no ambiguity of the kind of person you are. Well done.

il Padrino Ute 11-26-2007 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exUte (Post 154751)
continue. Ever read what Pres. Hinckley has said about vulgarity and profanity? But then I guess it doesn't apply because you aren't a member of the Church. Or if you are, you are a piss poor example of what the Church represents. Unless of course, you think the prophet is up in the night.

You may guess if I think I am self righteous. However, your documented posts leave no ambiguity of the kind of person you are. Well done.

As you sit upon your self built throne of judgment, what's it like to be so perfect?

On the contrary, I was using your words in that post. Notice that I was paraphrasing you. Those weren't my words.

You are the piss poor example of what the Church represents. The difference between you and I, is that I am a member who is willing to admit that I'm far from perfect.

exUte 11-26-2007 06:53 AM

That wasn't the question.

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 154754)
As you sit upon your self built throne of judgment, what's it like to be so perfect?

On the contrary, I was using your words in that post. Notice that I was paraphrasing you. Those weren't my words.

You are the piss poor example of what the Church represents. The difference between you and I, is that I am a member who is willing to admit that I'm far from perfect.

The question was, have you read what Pres. Hinckley says about profanity and vulgarity.........something that you thrive on proudly.

il Padrino Ute 11-26-2007 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exUte (Post 154755)
The question was, have you read what Pres. Hinckley says about profanity and vulgarity.........something that you thrive on proudly.

Yes, I have.

But my post is still valid. I was quoting you. Are you denying that you posted that?

DrumNFeather 11-26-2007 11:47 AM

George Carlin has a great comedy bit about players thanking God after they win, but leaving him out of the conversation when they lose.

"You never hear an athlete say, 'well, we would've one if the good lord tripped me up in the back field, or, I would've had a touch down if Jesus hadn't made me fumble."

I think the quote shows Collie's profound respect for Utah noting that without the aid of the almighty, the Cougars would've lost to the Utes.

ute4ever 11-26-2007 03:05 PM

Two days after Collie's statement I have not found a person who agrees with it. People in the church say, "that was a dumb thing to say." People on the Cougarboard say, "that was a dumb thing to say."

And of course there are many Ute fans agreeing that it was a dumb thing to say.

So if pretty much everyone disagrees with him, it's time to stop bringing it up, and time to stop inferring that it represents how BYU fans truly feel.

Indy Coug 11-26-2007 03:05 PM

It wasn't a dumb thing to say. It's a dumb thing for that many people to be beating a dead horse about.

Indy Coug 11-26-2007 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exUte (Post 154755)

Have you read what prophets have said about those that sow seeds of contention?

Goatnapper'96 11-26-2007 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ute4ever (Post 154808)
Two days after Collie's statement I have not found a person who agrees with it. People in the church say, "that was a dumb thing to say." People on the Cougarboard say, "that was a dumb thing to say."

And of course there are many Ute fans agreeing that it was a dumb thing to say.

So if pretty much everyone disagrees with him, it's time to stop bringing it up, and time to stop inferring that it represents how BYU fans truly feel.

I am convinced Collie knew that he was throwing an incendiary grenade on Utenation. The kid built no bridges, but in all honesty if Utefans is reflective of Utenation's staunchest fans sentiments, can the emasculation be any more complete?

I am a petty man. I am an equal opportunity asshole though. I would prefer to mock Utenation if given my druthers. Lately, the ALUF and Utefan have presented themselves as 50 meter targets. Austin's quote has made an extremely target rich environment like shooting carp in a drying up irrigation pond.

Tex 11-26-2007 03:16 PM

Quote:

Yes. Yes, I do.

Forgive me Godfather, for I have sinned. Your pain is my gain.

Quote:

WWJD?

I have often analogized LES to the temple. Draw your own conclusions. ;)

Colly Wolly 11-26-2007 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exUte (Post 154751)
Or if you are, you are a piss poor example of what the Church represents.

VULGARITY ALERT!!!