cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Iron Man (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19048)

UtahDan 05-02-2008 03:26 AM

Iron Man

Went and saw Iron Man with my dad tonight and really enjoyed it. I knew virtually nothing about the Iron man franchise so I went into it with an open mind.

This is the movie that will make Robert Downey Jr. a true big time star. He makes you think a lot of a George Clooney in this movie. He is dashing and funny, but a good enough actor to bring some gravitas to the role as well. Gwen Paltro and Terrence Howard also play bit parts that don't really let them show their talents, though Paltrow looks fantastic which is a talent I suppose.

Jeff Bridges plays as good a villain as anyone I have seen in recent memory save Javier Bardem.

The movie is slick with its FX but doesn't over do it and while it was apparent to me that a few bones were being thrown to the fanboys in terms of foreshadowing, there was very little and it certainly wasn't distracting as it was at times in the X-Men movies.

Anyway, this is one of the best comic book movies that has been made. Much like Tobey McGuire inhabited Spiderman in the first movie and made you like him or Hugh Jackman in the first X-Men film, Downey Jr. makes this movie. It is, to me, as good as those other two movies. Just when you thought the comic book movie genre had run its course and couldn't give you something new and interesting, it surprises you.

Last note as to previews, I will give Hulk a chance because Edward Norton could make it work. He is like gold to me, but seeing the previews the CG still just isn't that good. Better than the Eric Bana version and darker and less cartoonish in the preview, but somehow they just don't seem to have the technology to make it look right. I will probably also give the Happening a chance against my better judgment.

DrumNFeather 05-02-2008 12:14 PM

I've had a really hard time buying downey jr. as a super hero. I guess I'll have to check this movie out.

MikeWaters 05-02-2008 01:42 PM

It's getting rave reviews. I'll have to catch it sometime.

Archaea 05-03-2008 04:43 AM

I have boys so seeing it was a given and it's not a story I knew. However, although it doesn't rate with the best film category, I would rate it with the best comic adopted to film, better than any of the Spidermen or Batmen films.

It is surprising how well it's acted and directed. It makes you appreciate Paltrow and Downey all the more. Jeff Bridges is also superb. The movie is a sleeper as I expected nothing.

First, it's an action film and not meant to penetrate your sole, but if you want something somewhat mindless but fun, then this film fits the bill. I suppose some could find flaws if one looked hard enough, but for the genre, this one sets the standard.

jay santos 05-04-2008 01:18 AM

Wasn't that impressed. Best of the comic book movies goes to Batman Begins--by far. This was maybe towards the top of the rest of them. Pretty much the same ol' thing though.

Colly Wolly 05-04-2008 02:37 AM

Saw this movie today and liked it alot. It had all the things that made Transformers cool, but with none of the stuff that made Transformers lame.

Never held Robert Downey Jr. in any particularly high regard, but he was awesome in this movie.

I'd say this movie is a close 2nd to Batman Begins for best comic book movie.

SeattleUte 05-04-2008 03:42 AM

RDJ already was a true big time star.

Archaea 05-04-2008 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colly Wolly (Post 217014)
Saw this movie today and liked it alot. It had all the things that made Transformers cool, but with none of the stuff that made Transformers lame.

Never held Robert Downey Jr. in any particularly high regard, but he was awesome in this movie.

I'd say this movie is a close 2nd to Batman Begins for best comic book movie.

But Batman didn't have Paltrow and Bridges.

livecoug 05-04-2008 05:16 AM

The previews made me pretty apathetic to this movie. I prematurely lumped it with the Elektra's, Fantastic Four's, that lame Ben Afflec flick's of the world. The review have been outstanding, so I will now watch it.

CJF 05-04-2008 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 217019)
RDJ already was a true big time star.

When able to stay clean for 20 minutes, RDJ is a very talented actor. Looks like he has his demons in check now. I hope so for the sake of his family.

Mormon Red Death 05-04-2008 06:38 PM

Who didn't love the extra scene after the credits? I saw it last night with two of two blue's sons and it was great. Being artist's kids they love comic book and they are excited for the avengers movie (as pointed too in the extra scene after the credits)

myboynoah 05-04-2008 07:22 PM

Saw it with my wife last night and she liked the movie and really liked RDJ in it, which is a surprise. She usually just rolls her eyes at this type of movie.

I ended up liking it.

jay santos 05-05-2008 02:00 PM

Is the song Iron Man a reference to the comic book character or not?

TripletDaddy 05-05-2008 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 217168)
Is the song Iron Man a reference to the comic book character or not?

If it were, I would like to know, because then I would go see the movie.

The song is about a guy who has a vision of the end of the world, goes to warn everyone, gets turned to into metal, then gets pissed off and kills everyone....thereby causing his vision to come true.

Sweet irony!

UteStar 05-05-2008 03:33 PM

Iron Man, the movie, was very good. Robert Downey is perfect in this role as he is believable as a womanizer, arrogant but likeable guy like Stark is portrayed in the comic book. Good character development...didn't like the ending as much, but still a terrific movie and it has set itself up very nicely for a sequel and an 'Avengers' movie which is sure to follow as well.

DrumNFeather 05-11-2008 03:22 AM

Finally saw this movie today. I was skeptical and didn't know how I could buy Downey Jr, but he was fantastic.

livecoug 05-11-2008 05:08 AM

Saw it tonight. Loved it.

Mars 05-12-2008 07:01 PM

I didn't want to see it based on the previews. Then it made $100MM in the first 3 days and got a solid "A" review from critics and fans. So I saw it. And it was awesome.

2nd best comic book movie to Batman Begins (soon to be topped by The Dark Knight).

Also in the works: A new Hulk, Thor, Wolverine, Captain America, The Avengers, Iron Man 2, and another new Superman movie...

RockyBalboa 05-14-2008 03:09 AM

Saw it today as well and it was really good. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Jeff Bridges makes a very good villain.

Runner Coug 05-14-2008 05:41 AM

Every time I see Robert Downey Jr. I still think about Julian Wells.

"DO I LOOK LIKE I'M READY FOR HOMEWORK"?

http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi127271193/

MikeWaters 05-19-2008 05:20 PM

I saw it. It was good, but a little overhyped I think.

I didn't get the sense that deep important currents were contained in it that caused reflection.

it was rather, a pretty good popcorn movie.

Archaea 05-19-2008 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 222643)
I saw it. It was good, but a little overhyped I think.

I didn't get the sense that deep important currents were contained in it that caused reflection.

it was rather, a pretty good popcorn movie.

I had never known the storyline but never expect comic book movies to be reflective.

MikeWaters 05-19-2008 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 222644)
I had never known the storyline but never expect comic book movies to be reflective.

For example, Spiderman takes more time on the deliberation of moral choices.

Even that one superman, where he has to decide whether love is more important than his powers. And his rage, sadness, pathos in turning back time to save his love.

Downey brought a complexity to the role that was absolutely needed, as the plot he was given was pretty cardboard-simple.

Archaea 05-19-2008 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 222647)
For example, Spiderman takes more time on the deliberation of moral choices.

Even that one superman, where he has to decide whether love is more important than his powers. And his rage, sadness, pathos in turning back time to save his love.

Downey brought a complexity to the role that was absolutely needed, as the plot he was given was pretty cardboard-simple.

With that I agree, although I don't believe MaGuire pulled off the dilemma very well.

The plot was simple.

Jeff Lebowski 05-25-2008 02:54 AM

We caught Iron Man at the matinée today. For some strange reason, I have an urge to go out and buy an Audi.

Did you all notice that Iron Man is an engineer? And his superior engineering skills carry the day? That's good writing, folks.

The one thing that disturbed me was Jeff Bridges playing the villian. He did a great job, but it was disconcerting to see the Dude in an evil role like that. And with no hair. Yikes.

TripletDaddy 05-25-2008 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 225010)
We caught Iron Man at the matinée today. For some strange reason, I have an urge to go out and buy an Audi.

Did you all notice that Iron Man is an engineer? And his superior engineering skills carry the day? That's good writing, folks.

The one thing that disturbed me was Jeff Bridges playing the villian. He did a great job, but it was disconcerting to see the Dude in an evil role like that. And with no hair. Yikes.

Did you see Jeff Bridges in The Vanishing? He played a great psychopath/villain in that one. Very freaky. If you haven't seen that movie, it is a good renter.

And after seeing that movie, you will want to go out and buy an Infinity...

YOhio 05-25-2008 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 225010)
Did you all notice that Iron Man is an engineer?

That was really the only part of Ironman that just didn't sit with me. An engineer being that smooth with women? Too unbelievable. It's impossible. Ruined the whole thing for me.