cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   What should this site be? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Board personnel needs (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8740)

SeattleUte 05-31-2007 07:36 PM

Board personnel needs

We need more women. Face it. We're all here partly because we're attracted to Waters' indubitable charisma. We're a cult following. But what kind of a cult are we with so few women?

More mullahs. I announced this imperative sometime ago and was pleased to see shortly thereafter Tex, Indy and Lingo arrive on the scene. Much thanks to whoever recruited these fellows. We need more of these. The more the merrier. Opposition in all things is good.

A FARMS geek. One should be sufficient, just to make sure I'm accurately representing what they stand for.

More Classisicts. This is like saying we need more grizzley bears or steel head trout. Should be non-controversial.

More philosphers. See above re Classisicts.

More apostates. It's hard holding down the fort alone here. Not sure nonsequ is pure enough, though I like the way he speaks plainly with the Cindarella and Santa Clause analogies.

Someone from New York to respond when Waters lords it over us how comsmopolitan is Dallas.

As many people as possible who like to read books other than published at LDS interested presses.

We have a dire need for a professional chef. Better 2-3.

More funny guys. I propose cougjunkie as the gold standard.

Any others? I think we have enough LDS democrats and LDS who go to church and are neither mullahs nor apostates but I'm open to ideas. And please, Ute fans who like to announce they're Utes and bear their testimony in the same post are a dime a dozen. No more lawyers unless they're women.

YOhio 05-31-2007 07:40 PM

Today I invited landpoke to come on over. He's a lawyer. Sorry.

SeattleUte 05-31-2007 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 85933)
Today I invited landpoke to come on over. He's a lawyer. Sorry.

You're a funny guy too. So is Waters sometimes. But that's not enough.

BarbaraGordon 05-31-2007 07:59 PM

Could we perhaps procure anymore superheroes? It's rather difficult upholding truth and justice on one's own.

creekster 05-31-2007 08:24 PM

Speaking as an unfunny, non-philospoher, non-greek speaking, male lawyer I find this post rather marginalizing. Maybe I can get credit for being the typo guy?

I'll support SU's quest here, at least until he starts solicitng donations to buy land for the compund in the desert.

SeattleUte 05-31-2007 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 85967)
Speaking as an unfunny, non-philospoher, non-greek speaking, male lawyer I find this post rather marginalizing. Maybe I can get credit for being the typo guy?

I'll support SU's quest here, at least until he starts solicitng donations to buy land for the compund in the desert.

Your violin is small. Your kind get all the breaks.

creekster 05-31-2007 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 85970)
Your violin is small. Your kind get all the breaks.

Whoa, there, Trigger, I said I was supporting you!

tooblue 05-31-2007 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 85979)
Whoa, there, Trigger, I said I was supporting you!

I trust I am also one of your kind ... and I play the viola, not a violin

creekster 05-31-2007 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooblue (Post 85984)
I trust I am also one of your kind ... and I play the viola, not a violin

I'd be pleased to be considered one fo your kind. Btw, except for the sacremnt meeting atendance thing (and a few ancillary issues that go along with that) SU is one of our kind, too, benefitting from all the breaks.

YOhio 06-01-2007 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 85932)
No more lawyers unless they're women.

Don't you have an inside connection with a succesful attorney in Seattle? She'd make a fine contribution to our cult.

Detroitdad 06-01-2007 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 85932)
. No more lawyers unless they're women.

I could tuck (in the Silence of the Lambs sense) while I type, would that count as womanly?

UteStar 06-01-2007 04:10 PM

Parrot Head is very funny as are many others on the board...we also need to get PAC, Senioritis and others in here as well.

I fill the metrosexual quota very well.

Requiem 06-01-2007 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 85942)
Could we perhaps procure anymore superheroes? It's rather difficult upholding truth and justice on one's own.

Last time I checked, I remain a female of the species - although certainly not in the superhero status of BG (who has become my role model).

BarbaraGordon 06-01-2007 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Requiem (Post 86103)
Last time I checked, I remain a female of the species

I am happy to hear that. I was becoming concerned we'd reached negative female recruitment levels as we seem to have lost both BDB and MM.

Quote:

...BG (who has become my role model).
I commend you on an excellent choice. I've also always rather liked BlueGoose.

Requiem 06-01-2007 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 86109)
I am happy to hear that. I was becoming concerned we'd reached negative female recruitment levels as we seem to have lost both BDB and MM.

I commend you on an excellent choice. I've also always rather liked BlueGoose.

And she's modest too? There is only one true BG!

FarrahWaters 06-01-2007 07:47 PM

Quote:

Last time I checked, I remain a female of the species - although certainly not in the superhero status of BG (who has become my role model).

You live in the DC area, right? Are you single? If so, do you attend a singles ward?

My brother is in VA right now, just wondering if you might have met him.

SeattleUte 06-01-2007 08:01 PM

Quote:

Requiem, this is really good news if true and would mean things are really looking up in this glaring weakness in our community here. But we're going to need some kind of verification. We've had people come here doing a Crying Game troll which has been disturbing to some here when revealed. Your understanding of sports culture has some people here concerned. Sexist, I know, but concerns have been raised by valued members of the cult.

Requiem 06-01-2007 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 86227)
Requiem, this is really good news if true and would mean things are really looking up in this glaring weakness in our community here. But we're going to need some kind of verification. We've had people come here doing a Crying Game troll which has been disturbing to some here when revealed. Your understanding of sports culture has some people here concerned. Sexist, I know, but concerns have been raised by valued members of the cult.

Very sexist SU. I grew up as the only daughter with five older brothers. Dad was their baseball coach until High School. Then he coached my traveling softball team. Thanks to his effots, I played softball at the college level at the Lord's University (yes, I am still an active member of the Crimson Club). So sports is a big part of my life and I absolutely love softball and baseball. Imagine a woman being "that way". I hope none of you manly types are threatened. Back to the kitchen I go.

Requiem 06-01-2007 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 86227)

Please inform me who the "valued members of the cult" are on this board. Been a bad day - had my gender questioned and called a "baseball snob". I can take it - just let me know who I should not offend. Are you really a Ute?

SeattleUte 06-01-2007 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Requiem (Post 86238)
Very sexist SU. I grew up as the only daughter with five older brothers. Dad was their baseball coach until High School. Then he coached my traveling softball team. Thanks to his effots, I played softball at the college level at the Lord's University (yes, I am still an active member of the Crimson Club). So sports is a big part of my life and I absolutely love softball and baseball. Imagine a woman being "that way". I hope none of you manly types are threatened. Back to the kitchen I go.

I'm looking at your avatar with its impressively girlish quality as I read your post and can't help but think, "The lady (?) doth protest too much." Women here are treated like royalty as I'm sure Barbara will attest. But we need better verification than bald assertions.

Requiem 06-01-2007 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 86250)
I'm looking at your avatar with its impressively girlish quality as I read your post and can't help but think, "The lady (?) doth protest too much." Women here are treated like royalty as I'm sure Barbara will attest. But we need better verification than bald assertions.

So what you are really saying is "women here who know their place are treated like royalty". I love Barbara's posts but do I have to be exactly like her to gain acceptance? What about your "bald assertions" of manhood? Where do I send the DNA samples?

BigFatMeanie 06-01-2007 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Requiem (Post 86249)
Please inform me who the "valued members of the cult" are on this board. Been a bad day - had my gender questioned and called a "baseball snob". I can take it - just let me know who I should not offend. Are you really a Ute?

SU is definitely a Ute.

I'm guessing that the main reason SU is probing/questioning your gender is because the site has had problems with people creating duplicate accounts in the past or blatant posing as someone they are not. Not that there's anything inherntly evil about being a poser on the Internet - we're all posers in some respects (heck, I'm pretending to look like Cary Grant when in fact I am better looking than him). SU is probably probing in order to procure a pledge that you aren't a particular poser that posed problems in the past and has now resurfaced under a new name.

Requiem 06-01-2007 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie (Post 86263)
SU is definitely a Ute.

I'm guessing that the main reason SU is probing/questioning your gender is because the site has had problems with people creating duplicate accounts in the past or blatant posing as someone they are not. Not that there's anything inherntly evil about being a poser on the Internet - we're all posers in some respects (heck, I'm pretending to look like Cary Grant when in fact I am better looking than him). SU is probably just trying to make sure you're not a particular poser that posed problems in the past and has now resurfaced under a new name.

I am not a poser and have no motivation to engage in any dialogues that are mean spirited. This board is a refreshing refuge - full of smart, independent thinkers. Your concerns are understandable.

BarbaraGordon 06-01-2007 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Requiem (Post 86266)
I am not a poser and have no motivation to engage in any dialogues that are mean spirited. This board is a refreshing refuge - full of smart, independent thinkers. Your concerns are understandable.

Requiem, pay no attention to the men behind the curtain. They get really excited at the thought that a female might enjoy their company. But given their histories of painful rejections from young co-eds at BYU, they simply find it impossible to believe that a real female actually would. So, they desire a little pictorial evidence.

Also, they probably just want a photograph to help estimate your bra size and declare a winner for the office pool.

But never fear, there has never been a photographic requirement for membership here, so there's no need to comply. And of course, if the boys get too pushy, I've got your back.

JohnnyLingo 06-01-2007 11:33 PM

Quote:

I'm guessing that the main reason SU is probing/questioning your gender is because the site has had problems with people creating duplicate accounts in the past or blatant posing as someone they are not. Not that there's anything inherntly evil about being a poser on the Internet - we're all posers in some respects (heck, I'm pretending to look like Cary Grant when in fact I am better looking than him). SU is probably probing in order to procure a pledge that you aren't a particular poser that posed problems in the past and has now resurfaced under a new name.
When has that happened? The only false user I've ever known is John Haddow, and that has generally been well received, as its entire purpose was to insult someone.

All-American 06-02-2007 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo (Post 86297)
When has that happened? The only false user I've ever known is John Haddow, and that has generally been well received, as its entire purpose was to insult someone.

There have been a couple, and not all without malicious intent. To say more would be to ruin the fun we have making them think we aren't on to them yet.

Mindfulcoug 06-03-2007 04:29 PM

no man, no lds, no democrat, no lawyer??? you got me in here then. hi!

il Padrino Ute 06-03-2007 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Requiem (Post 86238)

I, for one, am happy to have another baseball snob here and it's a bonus that you are a female.

Am I so understand that you played softball at the Y, while cheering for the Utes in the other sports? If so, I commend you for heading into hostile territory and doing your part to help bring order to the universe.

Finally, don't be fooled by Barbara's demure appearance. When Bat Girl posts, she can throw it down like the best of 'em. She is the sports freak at her house. :)

Frank Ryan 06-04-2007 01:54 AM

welcome to the board!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mindfulcoug (Post 86473)
no man, no lds, no democrat, no lawyer??? you got me in here then. hi!

tell us more about yourself

Mindfulcoug 06-04-2007 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mastershake (Post 86525)
tell us more about yourself

Thanks! I will.. gradually:)

JohnnyLingo 06-04-2007 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All-American (Post 86305)
There have been a couple, and not all without malicious intent. To say more would be to ruin the fun we have making them think we aren't on to them yet.

Oh, I forgot about the Aiza ny Toerana user. And probably Mr. Biggums.

Maybe there should be a list.

SeattleUte 06-05-2007 11:12 PM

I'm starting to rethink our need for Mullahs. We may not need as many additions as I had thought. Waters has stepped forward heroically to try to fill the deficit. His boy scout posts and gloss on ancient chicken bones in the Americas have been a good effort.

creekster 06-05-2007 11:29 PM

Be careful what you wish for, as they say.

BarbaraGordon 06-05-2007 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 87283)
I'm starting to rethink our need for Mullahs. We may not need as many additions as I had thought. Waters has stepped forward heroically to try to fill the deficit. His boy scout posts and gloss on ancient chicken bones in the Americas have been a good effort.

Personally, I'm hoping for more grumpy old lawyers from the Pacific Northwest. ;)

creekster 06-06-2007 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 87316)
Personally, I'm hoping for more grumpy old lawyers from the Pacific Northwest. ;)

You REALLY need to be careful what you wish for.

marsupial 06-06-2007 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 87316)

I'd like to see more Huey Lewis-lovin', Sooner, librarian/superheroes, but I understand they are a rare breed. :)

Archaea 06-06-2007 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 87330)
You REALLY need to be careful what you wish for.

Isn't one enough?

How about dashing, good-natured and fun-loving attorneys from the Southwest?

All-American 06-06-2007 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 87360)
Isn't one enough?

Let us know if you find one. :)

Detroitdad 06-06-2007 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 87360)
Isn't one enough?

I am not moving to Nevada for a couple of months so you'll have to wait until then.