cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Basketball (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Coudl the final four be any more boring (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18147)

Archaea 03-31-2008 05:31 PM

Coudl the final four be any more boring

UCLA, Memphis, UNC and Kansas?

Memphis and UNC are looking strong but who knows.

cougjunkie 03-31-2008 05:34 PM

First time ever 4 number ones have made it. All of them look very tough, I am really excited. For the first time in a while their is no favorite look at the first two games.

Memphis favored by 1 over UCLA

UNC favored by 2.5 over Kansas

Archaea 03-31-2008 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougjunkie (Post 203632)
First time ever 4 number ones have made it. All of them look very tough, I am really excited. For the first time in a while their is no favorite look at the first two games.

Memphis favored by 1 over UCLA

UNC favored by 2.5 over Kansas

You must love watching the Yankees play the Rangers in the World Series then. Yawn.

Clark Addison 03-31-2008 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 203636)
You must love watching the Yankees play the Rangers in the World Series then. Yawn.

The Rangers? I'm very unclear on how this analogy is supposed to work.

Indy Coug 03-31-2008 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 203630)
UCLA, Memphis, UNC and Kansas?

Memphis and UNC are looking strong but who knows.

The only thing that would make this more exciting is if BYU was in it.

TripletDaddy 03-31-2008 05:46 PM

Quote:

That would actually be amazing. There would be no American League pennant winner and the National League would be pissed that it was unable to send a representative of its own league to play for the title.

ute4ever 03-31-2008 05:48 PM

UCLA vs. Memphis looks intriguing because the Bruins have that spectacular defense, while Memphis runs such a high octane offense.

Essentially though, Memphis is like a North Carolina-lite. The best game we could hope for is a UCLA vs. North Carolina final.

smokymountainrain 03-31-2008 05:49 PM

Collison v Rose

Chalmers v Lawson

Shipp v Douglas-Roberts

Robinson v Ellington

The matchups in this Final Four are what make it great.

How about Dorsey vs Love.

Kansas' athletic, swarming, frontcourt vs Hansbrough.

I'm looking forward to this Final Four more than any in a long time.

Archaea 03-31-2008 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 203648)
That would actually be amazing. There would be no American League pennant winner and the National League would be pissed that it was unable to send a representative of its own league to play for the title.

I meant to say the Dodgers and the Yankees, but I hate baseball.

il Padrino Ute 03-31-2008 05:55 PM

Quote:

That would be the AL Championship Series.

A better comparison would be Yankees/Dodgers.

il Padrino Ute 03-31-2008 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 203644)
The only thing that would make this more exciting is if BYU was in it.

These teams were not voted into the Final Four.

TripletDaddy 03-31-2008 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 203658)
I meant to say the Dodgers and the Yankees, but I hate baseball.

I am trying to decide which is worse.....hating baseball.....or confusing the Dodgers with the Rangers.

Archaea 03-31-2008 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 203669)
I am trying to decide which is worse.....hating baseball.....or confusing the Dodgers with the Rangers.

They're the same and they both suck.

Baseball is for old men, who still call African Americans Negroes and Coloreds. [yes with Robinson, I left the door open for you, but my sentiments remain the same.]

TripletDaddy 03-31-2008 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 203671)

Baseball is for old men, who still call African Americans Negroes and Coloreds. [yes with Robinson, I left the door open for you, but my sentiments remain the same.]

Sounds like my grandmother would like baseball.

il Padrino Ute 03-31-2008 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 203671)

"The beauty of baseball is not having to explain it."

I don't remember right off hand who said that, but it is true. If one doesn't see the beauty of it, one never will.

landpoke 03-31-2008 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 203679)

I don't remember right off hand who said that, but it is true. If one doesn't see the beauty of it, one never will.

I love baseball arguments.

The distilled anti-baseball argument:

"Baseball sucks, it's slow and boring."

The distilled pro-baseball argument:

"Baseball doesn't suck, you're just too dumb to understand it."

Spaz 03-31-2008 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landpoke (Post 203683)
I love baseball arguments.

The distilled anti-baseball argument:

"Baseball sucks, it's slow and boring."

The distilled pro-baseball argument:

"Baseball doesn't suck, you're just too dumb to understand it."

I don't think it has to do with intelligence as much as personality. Baseball is probably not the sport most conducive to the ADHD-type mentality.

And us Baseball fans would do well to not bother trying to explain the joys of the game to those types. They really will never get it.

RC Vikings 03-31-2008 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 203679)

Few things in life are better then being in a MLB park on a sunny afternoon with a dog in one hand and a _____/Coke in the other hand.

il Padrino Ute 03-31-2008 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RC Vikings (Post 203690)
Few things in life are better then being in a MLB park on a sunny afternoon with a dog in one hand and a _____/Coke in the other hand.

"A hotdog at the ball park is better than a steak at the Ritz" - Humphrey Bogart.

il Padrino Ute 03-31-2008 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spaz (Post 203689)
I don't think it has to do with intelligence as much as personality. Baseball is probably not the sport most conducive to the ADHD-type mentality.

And us Baseball fans would do well to not bother trying to explain the joys of the game to those types. They really will never get it.

Which is your team?

I'm a diehard Orioles fan.

landpoke 03-31-2008 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spaz (Post 203689)

See, you're doing it again. "You lack, in one way or another, the mental capacity to appreciate baseball. You, in essence, are a window licker." I may be paraphrasing a bit.

For the record, I neither love nor despise baseball. I will attend or watch games on tv if it is convenient for me but will not go out of my to do so.

Spaz 03-31-2008 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 203696)
Which is your team?

Atlanta Brave since ~'88. Inherited them from my Dad. Probably the best inheritance I'll get from him.

Archaea 03-31-2008 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RC Vikings (Post 203690)

I can think of quite a few things better. A bike ride, a chess game, a game of Go, a visit to the dentist's chair, a roll in the hay, kids' soccer etc.

il Padrino Ute 03-31-2008 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landpoke (Post 203702)
See, you're doing it again. "You lack, in one way or another, the mental capacity to appreciate baseball. You, in essence, are a window licker." I may be paraphrasing a bit.

For the record, I neither love nor despise baseball. I will attend or watch games on tv if it is convenient for me but will not go out of my to do so.

I really have no problem if people aren't baseball fans. I am and that's good enough for me.

And for the record, when I say that people who don't like baseball don't get it, I don't mean that they lack the ability to do so. It's just difficult for us to explain why we like it. There is an intangible about it that resonates with us.

My mother-in-law really likes Picasso's work. I don't. She see something in it that I don't. That's how baseball is for us fans.

smokymountainrain 03-31-2008 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 203696)
Which is your team?

According to Cowherd, Vegas has the over under on the O's wins this season set at 66. Okay, I've never been accused of being an optimist in terms of expectations for my favorite teams, but they will win more than 66, right? Won't they?

Spaz 03-31-2008 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landpoke (Post 203702)

I don't see how attributing someone's capacity for enjoying baseball to their personality is calling into question the anti-baseball-ite's intelligence.

There are many intelligent people who don't like baseball. There are certainly plenty of morons who like baseball. I doubt the average intelligence of baseball fan is much different from the average intelligence of any other sport's fan.

Aggressive individuals who have short attention spans have a tendency to prefer football and basketball.

Laid-back individuals who are more patient have a tendency to enjoy baseball (although not to the exclusion of the other sports).

These are, of course, generalities and are certainly not mutually exclusive...

il Padrino Ute 03-31-2008 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spaz (Post 203708)
Atlanta Brave since ~'88. Inherited them from my Dad. Probably the best inheritance I'll get from him.

Nothing wrong with liking the Braves. My earliest memories of that team was watching Hank Aaron go deep on Al Downing for number 715. Awesome.

il Padrino Ute 03-31-2008 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokymountainrain (Post 203713)
According to Cowherd, Vegas has the over under on the O's wins this season set at 66. Okay, I've never been accused of being an optimist in terms of expectations for my favorite teams, but they will win more than 66, right? Won't they?

The optimist in me says that they will win more than 66. The realist in me tells me to just watch what happens then make a prediction after 162 games.

Like I said, if the Os are within 5 games at the end of April, I'll consider it a successful season. :D

Spaz 03-31-2008 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 203716)
Nothing wrong with liking the Braves. My earliest memories of that team was watching Hank Aaron go deep on Al Downing for number 715. Awesome.

I've seen that on highlights, but I was just a glimmer in my dad's eye when Hank retired.

Of course, I was on my mission when the Braves won the title in '95. Their only breakthrough in their long list of postseason failures.

il Padrino Ute 03-31-2008 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spaz (Post 203719)
I've seen that on highlights, but I was just a glimmer in my dad's eye when Hank retired.

Of course, I was on my mission when the Braves won the title in '95. Their only breakthrough in their long list of postseason failures.

Like you, I was on my mission when the Orioles last won the World Series in '83.

Ah well, this is a new season. Perhaps the Yankees and Red Sox and Jays and Rays will choke.

landpoke 03-31-2008 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spaz (Post 203715)
These are, of course, generalities and are certainly not mutually exclusive...

I'm sorry but nuanced, layered arguments were abolished during the first
Reagan administration. You'll have to go sell crazy somewhere else.