cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Rules (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Coarseness of language (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3690)

MikeWaters 08-17-2006 04:17 AM

Coarseness of language

There has been a general coarsening of language here on cougarguard, and I can't claim to be free of guilt.

I ask that coarse language be rare, and never gratuitous. We are not of a group that indulges in fashionable vulgarity.

This is a general reminder/warning.

il Padrino Ute 08-18-2006 03:19 AM

So, if !@#$% is the one word to use in a particular case, then it would be fine to use !@#$%?

Just wanted to be clear.

SoCalCoug 11-07-2006 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 32745)
So, if !@#$% is the one word to use in a particular case, then it would be fine to use !@#$%?

Just wanted to be clear.

If you're talking about Snipe or Tex, then yes, it's perfectly fine.

non sequitur 11-07-2006 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalCoug (Post 44068)

So am I within the bounds of propiety if I refer to someone as a Tex-sucking mother-Sniper?

cougjunkie 11-07-2006 04:27 AM

I agree, however I think hell, Damn, and Son of a Santos are alright.

creekster 06-19-2007 09:11 PM

Mikle mentioned this in a thread today. I agree the language has been coarsening and I think it is time to self-police more rigorously.

Tex 06-19-2007 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalCoug (Post 44068)

I'm elevating you simply by acknowledging you exist.

Quote:

Originally Posted by non sequitur (Post 44069)
So am I within the bounds of propiety if I refer to someone as a Tex-sucking mother-Sniper?

I endorse this insult. But be advised it's figurative only: I will not permit anyone on this board to suck on anything.

FMCoug 06-19-2007 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 91795)
Mikle mentioned this in a thread today. I agree the language has been coarsening and I think it is time to self-police more rigorously.

You're right of course. How do I repent for my poll today?

BarbaraGordon 06-19-2007 10:21 PM

I apologize for referring to the BCS today. I can see how that would be profane.

Archaea 06-19-2007 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 91830)
I apologize for referring to the BCS today. I can see how that would be profane.

In deference to my Soonerite, I will refrain from referring to Ducks or Broncos, unless I refer to the Bronco.

SoCalCoug 06-20-2007 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 91802)
I'm elevating you simply by acknowledging you exist.

Oooh. I think I just had an orgasm from the pure joy of your acknowledgement.

All-American 06-20-2007 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalCoug (Post 91888)
Oooh. I think I just had an orgasm from the pure joy of your acknowledgement.

I'll have what he's having.

YOhio 06-20-2007 02:20 AM

This thread is lame. Last I checked, swearing is cool.

FMCoug 06-20-2007 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 91914)
This thread is lame. Last I checked, swearing is cool.

It is certainly overused by the undeducated. That said, sometimes there is just no other word that fits the situation. Like my poll earlier ... is there really another term that would accurately describe NorCal Cat? I don't think so. I didn't want to call him a yewt as that would insult our Ute brethern here on CG.

FMCoug 06-20-2007 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 91939)
hehehehe you said "undeducated" hehehehehe

We need a damn spell checker on this board! Wait, should I have said "darn"?

Indy Coug 07-09-2007 01:14 PM

So what's the nearest BYU-approved synonym for "dipshit"?

BYU71 07-09-2007 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 32549)
There has been a general coarsening of language here on cougarguard, and I can't claim to be free of guilt.

I ask that coarse language be rare, and never gratuitous. We are not of a group that indulges in fashionable vulgarity.

This is a general reminder/warning.

I hope my arrival here hasn't led to the upsurge. I just have so many pent up verbage explosions in me left over from all the time I spent on CB. I will try to tone it down.

RC Vikings 07-11-2007 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYU71 (Post 98984)
I hope my arrival here hasn't led to the upsurge. I just have so many pent up verbage explosions in me left over from all the time I spent on CB. I will try to tone it down.

Because of the amount of time you spend on the golf course you have a free pass when it comes to swearing.