cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Professional Sports (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Not sure why Vai is doing this (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19756)

BigFatMeanie 05-29-2008 12:37 AM

Not sure why Vai is doing this

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8181262/

Quote:

According to multiple published reports Tuesday, former Eagles kick returner and two-time Pro Bowler Vai Sikahema will fight Canseco in a July 12 bout at the Atlantic City Bernie Robbins Stadium.
I don't really understand why Vai would want to box Canseco. Vai is already a respected sportscaster in Philly. I don't think he needs the publicity and $5K just doesn't seem worth it to me.

creekster 05-29-2008 12:40 AM

Myabe he would like to burise Canseco's pompous mug. I am sure more than a few of us would like to and here he can actually do it. I don't know, of course, but I am guessing Canseco cannot take a punch.

BigFatMeanie 05-29-2008 01:07 AM

Let's hope Vai gives better than he gets

creekster 05-29-2008 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie (Post 226153)
Let's hope Vai gives better than he gets

AGreed. Canseco is not a small man, however, and I am sure his reach will greatly exceed Sikahema's. Even so, I bet he has a glass jaw.

Surfah 05-29-2008 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 226155)
AGreed. Canseco is not a small man, however, and I am sure his reach will greatly exceed Sikahema's. Even so, I bet he has a glass jaw.

Canseco and his twin Ozzie roughed up two guys in the nightclub Opium a while back. They gave better than they got giving one guy 20 stitches.

RockyBalboa 05-29-2008 02:21 AM

I have many Poly friends and some Poly cousins. I learned a long time ago....don't ever piss off a Poly.

They are the most generous kind people and will give you the shirt off their back...but don't piss them off.

If Jose Canseco pisses Vai off...regardless of his size, the fight will be over quickly.

Spaz 05-29-2008 05:11 PM

Why not? Vai gets some free pub out of it, and gets to box a big slow guy with bones weakened from years of steroids.

Keep in mind, Vai is a former Golden Glover in Arizona. He almost went to the Olympics...

Flystripper 05-29-2008 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spaz (Post 226342)
Why not? Vai gets some free pub out of it, and gets to box a big slow guy with bones weakened from years of steroids.

Keep in mind, Vai is a former Golden Glover in Arizona. He almost went to the Olympics...

Vai will kick his ass. I have seen non boxers try and fight boxers before. In every case the fight was over before the non boxer knew what hit 'em

il Padrino Ute 05-29-2008 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flystripper (Post 226349)
Vai will kick his ass. I have seen non boxers try and fight boxers before. In every case the fight was over before the non boxer knew what hit 'em

Agreed.

When I was a kid, there was an exhibition fight at Mile High Stadium that had Lyle Alzado fighting a recently retired Mohamed Ali. It wasn't even close, though Ali really held back and didn't knock out Alzado - probably because it just an exhibition and Ali seemed to have fun embarrassing Alzado.

BigFatMeanie 05-29-2008 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spaz (Post 226342)

Didn't know that bit about Vai having some boxing experience. If he has experience then it makes more sense. I hope Vai kicks his ass.

TripletDaddy 05-29-2008 06:45 PM

The funny thing in all of this is that it appears that most of the people on CG are probably making more than both Jose Canseco and Vai Sikahema.

creekster 05-29-2008 06:46 PM

One of my favorite movie scenes is from a NZ movie called Once Were Warriors ( agreat film, btw). In it, a Maori guy has just been released from prison and returns to his favorite bar/roadhouse where his arrival is noted by all the local toughs wnating to make a name for themsleves. The con is muscular like a boxer. Some kid who looks like a football player or a body builder, absolutely huge poly, come sover and picks a fight. The con tries to avoid it but the kid won't let him. So they square off, this huge kid takes a massive swing which the con deftly doges and then returns with 4 or 5 lightening fast punyhxes to the kid's head, dropping him immediately. The con stands over the kid, who is in a pile on the ground, and says "you should try to do more speed bag work" and then turns back to his beer.

Coach McGuirk 05-29-2008 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 226392)
One of my favorite movie scenes is from a NZ movie called Once Were Warriors ( agreat film, btw).

That is a very good show. Very brutal. The spousal abuse scenes are VERY hard to watch.

creekster 05-29-2008 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk (Post 226397)
That is a very good show. Very brutal. The spousal abuse scenes are VERY hard to watch.

Agreed. A very brutal film but a very good one, IMO.

il Padrino Ute 05-29-2008 07:25 PM

Quote:

One of my favorite movie scenes is from a NZ movie called Once Were Warriors ( agreat film, btw). In it, a Maori guy has just been released from prison and returns to his favorite bar/roadhouse where his arrival is noted by all the local toughs wnating to make a name for themsleves. The con is muscular like a boxer. Some kid who looks like a football player or a body builder, absolutely huge poly, come sover and picks a fight. The con tries to avoid it but the kid won't let him. So they square off, this huge kid takes a massive swing which the con deftly doges and then returns with 4 or 5 lightening fast punyhxes to the kid's head, dropping him immediately. The con stands over the kid, who is in a pile on the ground, and says "you should try to do more speed bag work" and then turns back to his beer.

Or when Eastwood makes Swede look like a fool in Heartbreak Ridge.

cougjunkie 05-29-2008 07:33 PM

Quote:

I love that movie. The scen you are taking about is awesome.

Vai was scheduled to fight Danny Bonaduce a few months back but Bonaduce backed out when he found out Vai had boxing experience.

Spaz 05-29-2008 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie (Post 226387)
Didn't know that bit about Vai having some boxing experience. If he has experience then it makes more sense. I hope Vai kicks his ass.

Vai was slated to do a celebrity boxing match with Danny Bannaduce (sp?). Danny dropped out when he learned about Vai's history in the ring. He ended up boxing some radio DJ instead. I heard the fight was short, but never heard exactly how long it lasted.

(Sorry, Junkie, I didn't see your nearly-identical post until this was already done).

MikeWaters 05-29-2008 08:11 PM

Vai was scheduled to fight Donny (sp?) Bonnadouche but it didn't go through apparently for reasons unknown.

SteelBlue 05-29-2008 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougjunkie (Post 226413)
Vai was scheduled to fight Danny Bonaduce a few months back but Bonaduce backed out when he found out Vai had boxing experience.

I would LOVE to see somebody beat the crap out of Danny Bonaduce.

Mars 05-31-2008 07:14 AM

Quote:

One of my favorite movie scenes is from a NZ movie called Once Were Warriors ( agreat film, btw).

I prefer the movie The Warriors.
http://www.warriorsmovie.co.uk/conte.../photo_079.jpg
http://www.warriorsmovie.co.uk/

BigFatMeanie 06-02-2008 08:09 PM

Dick Harmon's article on the Sikahema/Canseco fight. I really do hope Vai kicks his ass.

Sikahema ready to rumble with Canseco

Mars 06-03-2008 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie (Post 226145)
I don't really understand why Vai would want to box Canseco. Vai is already a respected sportscaster in Philly. I don't think he needs the publicity and $5K just doesn't seem worth it to me.

Vai is donating his money to the wife of a murdered Philly cop.

What Canseco is doing with his money, I have no idea...