cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Politics (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Does anybody forgive Bush his trespasses? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24436)

Archaea 11-06-2008 12:13 AM

Does anybody forgive Bush his trespasses?

Right now, I can't. Maybe never.

Venkman 11-06-2008 02:08 AM

I've never been a big supporter. I didn't vote for him in the 2000 primaries, and I voted 3rd party in the general. I never believed he was a true conservative so I while disappointed, I wasn't really let down by his domestic record because it was expected. I've disagreed with much of what he's done. I think Iraq was probably a mistake.

That said, I believe he is a fundamentally decent man who truly did what he felt was in America's best interests (and ultimately he may very well be vindicated). While much of the criticism is warranted, much of it is gross hyperbole. He certainly doesn't deserve the Bushitler scorn heaped upon him from the left since day one.

So can I forgive him? Sure, but since I never have felt betrayed I'm not sure there's a need.

The one thing he could have done that would have been unforgivable for me would be to go after guns. He didn't. Plus he appointed two great judges to the SCOTUS. Those two things alone make him vastly superior to Gore and Kerry and there's no question he'd easily get my vote over Obama.

BlueHair 11-06-2008 02:58 AM

I can probably forgive him. He gave future presidents a lesson on how not to govern. That alone is a great service to our country.

il Padrino Ute 11-06-2008 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueHair (Post 290907)
I can probably forgive him. He gave future presidents a lesson on how not to govern. That alone is a great service to our country.

It's a shame that he didn't learn from Carter, eh?

BlueHair 11-06-2008 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 290908)
It's a shame that he didn't learn from Carter, eh?

It is a shame! Sadly, I would still take Carter. I still remember everyone singing "Jimmy Carter has a way of screwing up the USA" to the Oscar Mayer tune. My mom used to get mad at me because she said we should respect the president. Bush can still be redeemed if he follows that Carter route and becomes a humanitarian. Carter has done a lot of good in the world (post presidency).

il Padrino Ute 11-06-2008 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueHair (Post 290918)
It is a shame! Sadly, I would still take Carter. I still remember everyone singing "Jimmy Carter has a way of screwing up the USA" to the Oscar Mayer tune. My mom used to get mad at me because she said we should respect the president. Bush can still be redeemed if he follows that Carter route and becomes a humanitarian. Carter has done a lot of good in the world (post presidency).

I wouldn't take Carter and his double-digit inflation.

I agree that Carter's humanitarian efforts have been very commendable. But his meddling in foreign affairs has been a disgrace. I can't appreciate someone who kisses Hamas ass.

BlueHair 11-06-2008 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 290924)
I wouldn't take Carter and his double-digit inflation.

I agree that Carter's humanitarian efforts have been very commendable. But his meddling in foreign affairs has been a disgrace. I can't appreciate someone who kisses Hamas ass.

I might be mistaken, but I think the way inflation is reported has changed since Carter was president. I would be surprised if inflation isn't a least ten percent now. Doesn't the government take out food, energy, and housing when calculating inflation?

BarbaraGordon 11-06-2008 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueHair (Post 290929)
I might be mistaken, but I think the way inflation is reported has changed since Carter was president. I would be surprised if inflation isn't a least ten percent now. Doesn't the government take out food, energy, and housing when calculating inflation?

you are correct. Nearly everything that people actually purchase has been removed from the inflationary index.

FMCoug 11-06-2008 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 290936)
you are correct. Nearly everything that people actually purchase has been removed from the inflationary index.

You crack me up.

BarbaraGordon 11-06-2008 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMCoug (Post 290937)
You crack me up.

It's true. All the stuff that people purchase on a regular basis has been removed.

il Padrino Ute 11-06-2008 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueHair (Post 290929)

Could be, but that doesn't help Carter's case.

I will give him a break about the killer rabbit attack. That could cause anyone severe duress.

ute4ever 11-06-2008 04:36 AM

Presently, Bush does not acknowledge his tresspassatories, give apologatories or express any remorse (or as he would call it, "express my freedom feelings"). How can one forgive a person who is still actively engaged in his destructive ways and refuses to address or entertain the public opinion?

At least Clinton apologized for setting a bad example (Lewinsky), then engaged in a year-long, worldwide humanitarian tour with his former political rival. That was something. Presently Bush has done nothing.

Tex 11-06-2008 12:45 PM

I don't meant to interrupt another fun piss-on-Bush thread, but there was a report yesterday on how well prepared the Bush administration is for the transition. They've apparently worked closely with transition teams in both campaigns to make sure things go smoothly.

Contrast that to the way Bill Clinton handled it.

exUte 11-06-2008 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venkman (Post 290881)
I've never been a big supporter. I didn't vote for him in the 2000 primaries, and I voted 3rd party in the general. I never believed he was a true conservative so I while disappointed, I wasn't really let down by his domestic record because it was expected. I've disagreed with much of what he's done. I think Iraq was probably a mistake.

That said, I believe he is a fundamentally decent man who truly did what he felt was in America's best interests (and ultimately he may very well be vindicated). While much of the criticism is warranted, much of it is gross hyperbole. He certainly doesn't deserve the Bushitler scorn heaped upon him from the left since day one.

So can I forgive him? Sure, but since I never have felt betrayed I'm not sure there's a need.

The one thing he could have done that would have been unforgivable for me would be to go after guns. He didn't. Plus he appointed two great judges to the SCOTUS. Those two things alone make him vastly superior to Gore and Kerry and there's no question he'd easily get my vote over Obama.

These same folks now want everyone to work together? Practice what you preach, you liberal communists! :rolleyes:

exUte 11-06-2008 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ute4ever (Post 290963)
Presently, Bush does not acknowledge his tresspassatories, give apologatories or express any remorse (or as he would call it, "express my freedom feelings"). How can one forgive a person who is still actively engaged in his destructive ways and refuses to address or entertain the public opinion?

At least Clinton apologized for setting a bad example (Lewinsky), then engaged in a year-long, worldwide humanitarian tour with his former political rival. That was something. Presently Bush has done nothing.

What destructive ways? Entertain public opinion? Are you saying the public has all the info the president has at his disposal when making decisions? you mean like governing through polls?

I hope you weren't old enough to vote.

BlueK 11-06-2008 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 290833)
Right now, I can't. Maybe never.

A sincere man, IMO, but a terrible leader. He should take a lot of blame for the division in the country. When you always have to make those who disagree with you to be traitors and people who hate freedom and America, it doesn't exactly serve much of a purpose.

BlueK 11-06-2008 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venkman (Post 290881)
Plus he appointed two great judges to the SCOTUS. Those two things alone make him vastly superior to Gore and Kerry and there's no question he'd easily get my vote over Obama.

How close we came to Alberto Gonzales and Harriet Miers however. I credit divine Providence for making sure we didn't get the people Bush really wanted.

Venkman 11-06-2008 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueK (Post 291078)
How close we came to Alberto Gonzales and Harriet Miers however. I credit divine Providence for making sure we didn't get the people Bush really wanted.

True. But he gets blamed for alot of things not under his control, which is just part of the deal. So he gets credit for Roberts and Alito.

Venkman 11-06-2008 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueK (Post 291073)
A sincere man, IMO, but a terrible leader. He should take a lot of blame for the division in the country. When you always have to make those who disagree with you to be traitors and people who hate freedom and America, it doesn't exactly serve much of a purpose.

While he may have some role to play in the current division... one, it's always been there, and two, the left was worse. To them he was the illegitimate "selected" president and they never gave him a chance. I hope the right treats Obama better than the left treated Bush. I will certainly try.

RC Vikings 11-06-2008 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 291007)
I don't meant to interrupt another fun piss-on-Bush thread, but there was a report yesterday on how well prepared the Bush administration is for the transition. They've apparently worked closely with transition teams in both campaigns to make sure things go smoothly.

Contrast that to the way Bill Clinton handled it.

I didn't realize they were that well prepared for the transition. In that case all in forgiven and should make up for the never ending war, the outrageous deficit and leaving the Republican party in taters. Honestly I think Bush's intentions were good but Cheney lead him down a very dark road.

BarbaraGordon 11-06-2008 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RC Vikings (Post 291203)
I didn't realize they were that well prepared for the transition. In that case all in forgiven and should make up for the never ending war, the outrageous deficit and leaving the Republican party in taters.

Woah. I knew about the war and the deficit spending, but when did the GOP get stranded in Idaho?

creekster 11-06-2008 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 291419)
Woah. I knew about the war and the deficit spending, but when did the GOP get stranded in Idaho?

They're sticky when mashed.