cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Basketball (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   OK, here's this year's RPI lowdown (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7022)

Indy Coug 03-12-2007 01:36 PM

OK, here's this year's RPI lowdown

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=2545050

Detroitdad 03-12-2007 04:12 PM

Thanks. It is just as we all suspected. Although it looks like the correlation with RPI has taken such a significant dip. I wonder why? I am not at all surprised that the mid-majors are the teams that took it in the shorts again. The empirical evidence shows such an obvious bias that it is amazing to me that the commitee sells itself as objective. Virginia as a 4 seed my butt.

Sleeping in EQ 03-12-2007 04:17 PM

I'm no expert on this, not by a long shot, but the brackets seem a little "cute" this year.

jay santos 03-12-2007 04:34 PM

Interesting, thanks. I was just going to do something like this because it looked like RPI wasn't as correlated this year. I was going to test rankings at
http://www.mratings.com/cb/compare.htm to see it RPI or computer rankings were more highly correlated. Did the committee have access to Sagarin or other rankings? This is pretty bogus. Set up a BCS-like standings with computer averages, feed the computer rules like no home games for underdogs (AHEM), the BYU Sunday rule, the no conference match up rule, and let the computer seed the teams. Give the Doctuh the time to find coaches he's fired and not pretend he's representing conference peers.

DrumNFeather 03-12-2007 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detroitdad (Post 65307)
Thanks. It is just as we all suspected. Although it looks like the correlation with RPI has taken such a significant dip. I wonder why? I am not at all surprised that the mid-majors are the teams that took it in the shorts again. The empirical evidence shows such an obvious bias that it is amazing to me that the commitee sells itself as objective. Virginia as a 4 seed my butt.

Seems like it is used as a justification to get big conference teams in, but when that doesn't work out well then the "experts" talk about mid majors having inflated RPIs, when in fact, playing in a big conference would give a team more of an inflated RPI than anything.

il Padrino Ute 03-12-2007 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 65311)
Interesting, thanks. I was just going to do something like this because it looked like RPI wasn't as correlated this year. I was going to test rankings at
http://www.mratings.com/cb/compare.htm to see it RPI or computer rankings were more highly correlated. Did the committee have access to Sagarin or other rankings? This is pretty bogus. Set up a BCS-like standings with computer averages, feed the computer rules like no home games for underdogs (AHEM), the BYU Sunday rule, the no conference match up rule, and let the computer seed the teams. Give the Doctuh the time to find coaches he's fired and not pretend he's representing conference peers.

You do know that Dr. Hill is not allowed to talk about teams in his conference, no?

BYU may have been seeded lower than you thought it would, but that isn't the fault of Dr. Hill.

It seems your dislike of all things Utah is showing through. Again.

Detroitdad 03-12-2007 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrumNFeather (Post 65312)
Seems like it is used as a justification to get big conference teams in, but when that doesn't work out well then the "experts" talk about mid majors having inflated RPIs, when in fact, playing in a big conference would give a team more of an inflated RPI than anything.

Exactly. And of course the big conference schools also play almost all of their tough non-conference opponents at home. And if the commitee does not use objectivity then there is no incentive to change, but that what it is all about.

UteStar 03-12-2007 07:05 PM

You all realize this but the biggest problem that BYU had was that they had ZERO quality out of conference wins and they did nothing on the road out of conference. Add to that a couple of real bad losses and you have a selection committee that will lower their seed.

Yes, the MoWest conference often gets screwed when looking at their RPI and then comparing it with their actual seeds. The problem for BYU was they did nothing to warrant the selection committee changing their ways.

SteelBlue 03-12-2007 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UteStar (Post 65322)
You all realize this but the biggest problem that BYU had was that they had ZERO quality out of conference wins and they did nothing on the road out of conference. Add to that a couple of real bad losses and you have a selection committee that will lower their seed.

Yes, the MoWest conference often gets screwed when looking at their RPI and then comparing it with their actual seeds. The problem for BYU was they did nothing to warrant the selection committee changing their ways.

I have to agree with you UteStar. We did absolutely nothing out of conference and our biggest win was against an AF team that went to hell to end the season. I think the 8 seed is deserved. There were certainly some teams seeded higher that probably don't deserve it, but I'd wager that most of those teams have at least one signature win that beats anything we did this year.

Detroitdad 03-12-2007 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UteStar (Post 65322)

Utah State is a quality win with an rpi of 45. And if you look at the resumes of several other teams in the tournament such as Virginia you will notice few out of conference victories and several horrible losses. They get a 4 seed with a 55 rpi? Vanderbilt as a 6? USC a 5? Maryland as a 4?

However, I am upset about BYU's seeding but we did not get screwed the worst. I think a 6 or even a 7 would have been understandable. UNLV and Creighton got the worst treatment. They are both hugely underseeded. The top teams have got to frustrated with having to play better teams than their seed ought to have them playing.

UteStar 03-12-2007 07:56 PM

The committee would not consider Utah State a quality win though because they had no chance of getting into the tourney even though it had a decent RPI. BYU had only a couple of chances to do something to prove themselves this year and they understandably lost to UCLA, lost to an average Michigan State team and lost a couple of games that there was ZERO reason to lose. If they didn't lose those games against MSU and Lamar, etc., BYU's seed would have been better.

Hey, Ute fans know all too well about being seeded too low over the years. Utah got a lot of very nice seeds during their runs in the 90s but they also got some suspect ones including the committees fetish with lining up against Kentucky.

RockyBalboa 03-12-2007 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 65316)
You do know that Dr. Hill is not allowed to talk about teams in his conference, no?

BYU may have been seeded lower than you thought it would, but that isn't the fault of Dr. Hill.

It seems your dislike of all things Utah is showing through. Again.

As in any big corporate setting when the main person of bias topic comes up and he (wink, wink) is supposed to leave the room.....lol...right.

For the record I don't think Hill had much, if anything, to do with BYU or UNLV's seeding, but I find those who buy into the "They always leave the room schtick" highly guillable.

jay santos 03-12-2007 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyBalboa (Post 65337)
As in any big corporate setting when the main person of bias topic comes up and he (wink, wink) is supposed to leave the room.....lol...right.

For the record I don't think Hill had much, if anything, to do with BYU or UNLV's seeding, but I find those who buy into the "They always leave the room schtick" highly guillable.

I don't think Hill is to blame for BYU's seed. But I think Hill would sooner die than pull his weight on his committee to give BYU a better seed. When Samuelson say BYU and Utah are a partnership when it comes to sticking up for each other within and outside the conferrence, he's up in the night.

ute4ever 03-12-2007 09:32 PM

What was BYU's record against teams in the tournament? I note that in this thread, some fans points to USU and AFA as their marquee wins, but neither of those teams are dancing.

jay santos 03-12-2007 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ute4ever (Post 65371)
What was BYU's record against teams in the tournament? I note that in this thread, some fans points to USU and AFA as their marquee wins, but neither of those teams are dancing.

against tourney teams: 3-4

1-4 away
2-0 home

against top 50 RPI: 4-5

1-5 away
3-0 home

ute4ever 03-12-2007 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 65375)

1-4 away
2-0 home

What were those wins and losses? 1-2 vs. UNLV, right? What about the other four games?

jay santos 03-12-2007 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ute4ever (Post 65392)
What were those wins and losses? 1-2 vs. UNLV, right? What about the other four games?

UCLA, Mich State, Weber, Oral Roberts

ute4ever 03-12-2007 10:38 PM

Ah, found it:

Wed, Nov 15 at (6) UCLA L 69-82
Sat, Dec 9 at Michigan St. L 61-76
Sat, Dec 2 at Weber St. W 73-69
Fri, Dec 29 Oral Roberts W 72-62
Sat, Jan 13 at UNLV L 75-83
Sat, Feb 3 UNLV W 90-63
Sat, Mar 10 vs (25) UNLV L 70-78

Detroitdad 03-12-2007 10:41 PM

The point I am trying to make is not that BYU's resume is great, but rather that the resume of others who are seeded higher are very, very suspect. I expect a bunch of those that are overseeded to go down. I am think of Louisville, Vandy, Virginia, Maryland, USC, Duke, Stanford (overseeded as an 11). Seeds way out of wack really bother me. A lot.

il Padrino Ute 03-13-2007 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyBalboa (Post 65337)

Where did I say that Dr. Hill left the room?

RockyBalboa 03-13-2007 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 65431)
Where did I say that Dr. Hill left the room?

Given that he's not allowed to talk about the teams in his conference, would logic not then suggest this coincides with him HAVING to supposedly leaving the room when they're discussed?

Duh.

il Padrino Ute 03-13-2007 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyBalboa (Post 65432)
Given that he's not allowed to talk about the teams in his conference, would logic not then suggest this coincides with him HAVING to supposedly leaving the room when they're discussed?

Duh.

If you want to assume that, go ahead; however, I didn't post that he had to leave the room.

RockyBalboa 03-13-2007 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 65433)
If you want to assume that, go ahead; however, I didn't post that he had to leave the room.

You're splitting hairs and you know it.

BlueK 03-13-2007 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 65375)

1-4 away
2-0 home

against top 50 RPI: 4-5

1-5 away
3-0 home

BYU is 4-4 against the top 50:

wins:
USU
AFA
AFA
UNLV

losses:
UCLA
Michigan State
UNLV
UNLV

Who is the extra team you have?

jay santos 03-13-2007 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueK (Post 65475)
BYU is 4-4 against the top 50:

wins:
USU
AFA
AFA
UNLV

losses:
UCLA
Michigan State
UNLV
UNLV

Who is the extra team you have?

You must be right. Not sure how I had five losses.

il Padrino Ute 03-13-2007 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyBalboa (Post 65446)
You're splitting hairs and you know it.

No, I don't split hairs.

You said I inferred that he had to leave the room. I said that he can't talk about his conference.

RockyBalboa 03-13-2007 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 65521)
No, I don't split hairs.

You said I inferred that he had to leave the room. I said that he can't talk about his conference.

Actually you are splitting hairs.

Indy Coug 03-13-2007 08:05 PM

I'm pretty sure you don't even know what you're arguing about anymore.