cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   I really have zero respect for Islam (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9603)

MikeWaters 07-03-2007 08:33 PM

I really have zero respect for Islam

As long as Islam does not embrace freedom of religion and an open religious "market", I believe Islam is unworthy of any respect or admiration.

Muslims really only give lip-service to this. And many do not do even that.

As long as Mormon missionaries are not allowed into primarily Muslim countries, I have no respect for Islam. Zero.

Indy Coug 07-03-2007 08:34 PM

Mullah

Archaea 07-03-2007 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 96966)
As long as Islam does not embrace freedom of religion and an open religious "market", I believe Islam is unworthy of any respect or admiration.

As long as Mormon missionaries are not allowed into primarily Muslim countries, I have no respect for Islam. Zero.

This concept is tied to their concept of fatwa.

To allow an unbeliever or a disbeliever to bring a heretical word is to allow one to corrupt the spirit of another. By allowing that, that person deserves physical death.

I intend to get to the bottom of the fatwa concept, but it is heinous in my mind.

NorCal Cat 07-03-2007 09:25 PM

Should Islam be outlawed in the US?

Any religion that practices "honor killings" should not be legal imo. An example of an honor killing would be a woman being murdered by her father or brother because she wants a divorce.

Mindfulcoug 07-03-2007 09:34 PM

Quote:

i wonder WAHT mormon missionaries are you going to offer muslims ?umm..ploygamy ?? well ,we already have that.

SeattleUte 07-03-2007 09:35 PM

Quote:

Isn't Israel similar?

Mindfulcoug 07-03-2007 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorCal Cat (Post 97016)
Any religion that practices "honor killings" should not be legal imo. An example of an honor killing would be a woman being murdered by her father or brother because she wants a divorce.

i really admire when poeple dare to say something which they have no single idea about that .
honor killing is NOT something prescribed in religion ,its something out of some poor horrible culture ..you surly are able to differentiate between religion and culture.are 'nt you ??

MikeWaters 07-03-2007 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mindfulcoug (Post 97027)
i wonder WAHT mormon missionaries are you going to offer muslims ?umm..ploygamy ?? well ,we already have that.

How about the truth about God, for starters? And the role Jesus Christ plays as Savior?

NorCal Cat 07-03-2007 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mindfulcoug (Post 97036)
i really admire when poeple dare to say something which they have no single idea about that .
honor killing is NOT something prescribed in religion ,its something out of some poor horrible culture ..you surly are able to differentiate between religion and culture.are 'nt you ??

please enlighten me then. if you know so much about Islam and honor killings. it's not exactly clear cut what actions taken by Islamists around the world are a result of their "religion" v. their "culture."

MikeWaters 07-03-2007 09:46 PM

If the "religious culture" of major swaths of people in predominately Muslim countries believe in honor killings, that's good enough for me.

By their fruits you will know them. Murder is a bad fruit.

Mindfulcoug 07-03-2007 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 97039)
How about the truth about God, for starters? And the role Jesus Christ plays as Savior?

ah ,so you were serious? and have you searched about how religious minority believers are living in islamic countires befor starting this thread? i bet you havenot!

Jeff Lebowski 07-03-2007 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 97029)
Isn't Israel similar?

Sort of. They ban missionaries, but I don't believe they threaten you with death for converting.

NorCal Cat 07-03-2007 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mindfulcoug (Post 97027)

Well, they aren't going to kill you if you don't convert.

Brian 07-03-2007 09:57 PM

Quote:

This is a tough one for me. I've only really known one muslim very well. She was a well educated woman from India. A delightful, open minded and very religiously devout woman.
It's hard to understand how such extremes could come about.

MikeWaters 07-03-2007 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian (Post 97065)
This is a tough one for me. I've only really known one muslim very well. She was a well educated woman from India. A delightful, open minded and very religiously devout woman.
It's hard to understand how such extremes could come about.

Did you ever ask her about her concept of religious freedom?

You might be surprised at what she said.

Mindfulcoug 07-03-2007 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 97071)

i am certain that a "Well educated,delightful, open minded and very religiously devout person KNOWS and VALUES the concept of religious freedom ,so Brian's infromation isnot going to help you prove your point ..so you may want to educate us with sharing your stories about how islam disregards religious freedom?

Mindfulcoug 07-03-2007 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorCal Cat (Post 97062)
Well, they aren't going to kill you if you don't convert.

no one is going to kill you if you convert FROM islam .
you ought to study the case if you like ,i would educate you in here though ,but you might just not believe me !

Archaea 07-03-2007 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mindfulcoug (Post 97089)
i am certain that a "Well educated,delightful, open minded and very religiously devout person KNOWS and VALUES the concept of religious freedom ,so Brian's infromation isnot going to help you prove your point ..so you may want to educate us with sharing your stories about how islam disregards religious freedom?

Show me one Islamic nation that allows proselyting by Christians.

Here's the challenge. If Islam is so true, can't it withstand the proselyting of Christians?

If Christianity were so false, wouldn't Muslims be able to see it, so as not to have to resort to violence and murder?

Murder of Coptics in Egypt does occur, my friend. I have many Coptic friends who have left Egypt for that very reason. We even have Egyptian converts in my church congregation who discuss the religious intolerance of Egypt.

Turkey is probably the most tolerant, well know, a non-Arabic, non-Persian is the most tolerant, Indonesia, but outside of that no Muslim nation allows proselyting by Christians. We would allow proselyting by Muslims, why are the Muslims afraid?

BlueHair 07-03-2007 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 97051)

Our scriptures are full of supposedly righteous people doing the same thing. Christians are the worst and it's not even close. Christians have murdered countless non-believers. The Muslims that would murder are extremists much like the Aryans are Christian extremists.

Archaea 07-03-2007 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueHair (Post 97098)
Our scriptures are full of supposedly righteous people doing the same thing. Christians are the worst and it's not even close. Christians have murdered countless non-believers. The Muslims that would murder are extremists much like the Aryans are Christian extremists.

Christians who murdered did so for political and conquest reasons. Christians had a Dark Era, but at least through Enlightenment we outgrew our imbecilic period.

When will Islam leave its savagery behind?

NorCal Cat 07-03-2007 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueHair (Post 97098)
The Muslims that would murder are extremists much like the Aryans are Christian extremists.

I don't know if they are only the "extremists" or not, but 25% of young male American muslims in that poll released a couple of weeks ago said suicide bombings killing innocent civillians are justified. Extremists or not, that is too many.

YOhio 07-03-2007 10:31 PM

If Islam would speak out against the extremists as vigorously as they protest Western misunderstanding of their faith, I would be more sympathetic. Where is the moderate voice of Islam railing against extremism?

Mindfulcoug 07-03-2007 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 97095)

Here's the challenge. If Islam is so true, can't it withstand the proselyting of Christians?

If Christianity were so false, wouldn't Muslims be able to see it, so as not to have to resort to violence and murder?

Murder of Coptics in Egypt does occur, my friend. I have many Coptic friends who have left Egypt for that very reason. We even have Egyptian converts in my church congregation who discuss the religious intolerance of Egypt.

Turkey is probably the most tolerant, well know, a non-Arabic, non-Persian is the most tolerant, Indonesia, but outside of that no Muslim nation allows proselyting by Christians. We would allow proselyting by Muslims, why are the Muslims afraid?

muslims dont fear of any other religion rather they respect and honor them ,but you might notice that islamic leaders have the responsibility of protecting people ,physically and spiritually ..yet they always embrace new insights .so for import religion they need to investigate the box at first place .so you would have to deal with islamic schalors and infrom them about your worthy practicing ideas. its the only step you would have to take to go forward to reach out the peopole .fair enough ,right?

MikeWaters 07-03-2007 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 97115)
If Islam would speak out against the extremists as vigorously as they protest Western misunderstanding of their faith, I would be more sympathetic. Where is the moderate voice of Islam railing against extremism?

Where are the demonstrations in every capital in Europe by Muslims when a Muslim does something terrible?

But by golly, if someone publishes an offensive cartoon, the world must burn.

There are many wonderful people among Muslims. I wish they would embrace plurality. That old saying "live and let live."

Why choose death?

MikeWaters 07-03-2007 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mindfulcoug (Post 97123)
muslims dont fear of any other religion rather they respect and honor them ,but you might notice that islamic leaders have the responsibility of protecting people ,physically and spiritually ..yet they always embrace new insights .so for import religion they need to investigate the box at first place .so you would have to deal with islamic schalors and infrom them about your worthy practicing ideas. its the only step you would have to take to go forward to reach out the peopole .fair enough ,right?

No, it is not fair. It is stupid. We want to talk to your college students, not your mullahs.

Mindfulcoug 07-03-2007 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 97115)

becuase moderate voice of islam draw low attention ,while extremists voice are heard every where even they are making an extremely small portion of a one and half billion muslims..guess why?

Brian 07-03-2007 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 97071)

Yes. I wish I could, but I don't work with her anymore. -This was when I lived in Atlanta.
We had several religious discussions and she was genuinely interested in learning about Mormonism, but I never asked her that question.

BlueHair 07-03-2007 10:44 PM

They probably see us "Christians" occupying their lands, using our power to get cheap oil, and killing their people by the thousands. Maybe if if our Christian nation set a better example, they would welcome us in at some point. If we were in their shoes, I doubt we would want to convert either.

Archaea 07-03-2007 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mindfulcoug (Post 97135)
becuase moderate voice of islam draw low attention ,while extremists voice are heard every where even they are making an extremely small portion of a one and half billion muslims..guess why?

How are moderate views even allowed to speak in Iran?

The image of Islam is that of a cavedwelling madman in Pakistan, willing to kill at the slightest movement without provocation.

It is not the image of the peaceful Al-Ghazali, preaching spiritual refinement to meet God.

Moderates will be overrun by radicals if moderates don't become more active.

Mindfulcoug 07-03-2007 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 97125)
No, it is not fair. It is stupid. We want to talk to your college students, not your mullahs.

okay ,it makes no difference.
ironically we have the exact word "mullah" with the exact pronounciation here in farsi :) except it has a very positive connotation in here
not many slamic scholars deserve to be called mullah though..
Roomy ,Abi Sina ...are among who we tend to call them mullah
and you better calm down..we are just talking ..if you hate to hear me in here , i could leave .

YOhio 07-03-2007 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mindfulcoug (Post 97135)

The most prominent voice of moderate Islam in the United States is CAIR. Take a look at their website and see if they are more concerned about the actions of Muslims or non-Muslims.

http://www.cair-net.org/

ChinoCoug 07-03-2007 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 97095)

Malaysia, Indonesia, Pakistan, Brunei. Not to Muslims but they do allow Christian proselyting.

BlueHair 07-03-2007 10:48 PM

Another point. Mormons have used the fear that early members felt as justification for the MMM. What's the difference? The Muslim nations have very good reason to fear Christians.

ChinoCoug 07-03-2007 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 97051)
If the "religious culture" of major swaths of people in predominately Muslim countries believe in honor killings, that's good enough for me.

So Mormons should be known for their fruits of Utah's high rates of bankruptcy, anorexia, quack medicine, etc.?

Mindfulcoug 07-03-2007 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 97147)
How are moderate views even allowed to speak in Iran?

The image of Islam is that of a cavedwelling madman in Pakistan, willing to kill at the slightest movement without provocation.

It is not the image of the peaceful Al-Ghazali, preaching spiritual refinement to meet God.

Moderates will be overrun by radicals if moderates don't become more active.

achiving hight ability to recognise God through heart doesnot mean you will have to surrender to oppression ,or keep quite when you see injustice you probably mixing up sufism and ignorance /carelessness
just tell me what would you expect the people around the world to do for you ,if you were a palestinaian or an iraqi or an afgan.

Mindfulcoug 07-03-2007 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 97149)
The most prominent voice of moderate Islam in the United States is CAIR. Take a look at their website and see if they are more concerned about the actions of Muslims or non-Muslims.

http://www.cair-net.org/

i found it this guy quite informative ,you may be willing to take a look in here as well.
http://youtube.com/results?search_qu...&search=Search

Archaea 07-03-2007 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 97151)
Malaysia, Indonesia, Pakistan, Brunei. Not to Muslims but they do allow Christian proselyting.

I know about Malaysia, and Indonesia, because we have missionaries there, but Brunei and Pakistan?

Interestingly, no Arab nation allows it and no Persian nation allows it.

Archaea 07-03-2007 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mindfulcoug (Post 97161)
achiving hight ability to recognise God through heart doesnot mean you will have to surrender to oppression ,or keep quite when you see injustice you probably mixing up sufism and ignorance /carelessness
just tell me what would you expect the people around the world to do for you ,if you were a palestinaian or an iraqi or an afgan.

If these peoples were allowed to convert to Christianity, they would adopt traditions that would enrich them personally and monetarily. They would rise up out of their poverty, become more peaceful and be able to work within the world order.

ChinoCoug 07-03-2007 11:00 PM

Advantages of Islam

Christian charity, or misinterpretations of Christian charity ("turn the other cheek"). Used to make the oppressed docile and subservient. This was taught to African slaves as the proper response, while the white man walks all over him. Islam teaches you to fight back. That's why the black militancy movement adopted Islam as its ideology. Most muslims don't consider the Nation of Islam orthodox, but that's beside the point.

Muslims have done a better job than churches in purging drug use from black communities.

Archaea 07-03-2007 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueHair (Post 97153)
Another point. Mormons have used the fear that early members felt as justification for the MMM. What's the difference? The Muslim nations have very good reason to fear Christians.

They have more to fear from their own totalitarian leaders than they do from Christians.