cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Politics (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Senate's plan: let's bribe a few congressmen with billions more dollars (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23089)

MikeWaters 10-01-2008 03:41 AM

Senate's plan: let's bribe a few congressmen with billions more dollars

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081001/...ncial_meltdown

Incredible.

If this thing passes, there will be hell to pay. Mark my words.

Jeff Lebowski 10-01-2008 04:53 AM

Ugh. This is painful to watch.

SeattleUte 10-01-2008 04:15 PM

They don't even see the need to pretend they're being principled. They're just telling the press, "We're going to go buy off enough of those recalcitrant ones."

Where are they going to get the money? Record deficits, so I guess the thinking is, a trillion here, a trillion there, who cares?

I guess a people does get the government it deserves.

MikeWaters 10-01-2008 04:18 PM

I listened to McCain on NPR this morning defending the bailout. He sounded so awful. Right now, I really hate him. He has become the face of this bailout, and that is probably the worst political blunder I have seen in my lifetime. Screw him.

Tex 10-01-2008 04:20 PM

The Corner posted an alleged partial list of some of the earmarks in this bill, and asks, "Isn’t this in John McCain’s wheelhouse?"

Quote:

New Tax earmarks in Bailout bill
- Film and Television Productions (Sec. 502)
- Wooden Arrows designed for use by children (Sec. 503)
- 6 page package of earmarks for litigants in the 1989 Exxon Valdez incident, Alaska (Sec. 504)

Tax earmark “extenders” in the bailout bill.
- Virgin Island and Puerto Rican Rum (Section 308)
- American Samoa (Sec. 309)
- Mine Rescue Teams (Sec. 310)
- Mine Safety Equipment (Sec. 311)
- Domestic Production Activities in Puerto Rico (Sec. 312)
- Indian Tribes (Sec. 314, 315)
- Railroads (Sec. 316)
- Auto Racing Tracks (317)
- District of Columbia (Sec. 322)
- Wool Research (Sec. 325)

MikeWaters 10-01-2008 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 272923)
The Corner posted an alleged partial list of some of the earmarks in this bill, and asks, "Isn’t this in John McCain’s wheelhouse?"

John was on national radio this morning in support of the bailout. I think he is trying to push it through. Who knows maybe he is adding earmarks right now.

Tex 10-01-2008 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 272942)
I'm sure Palin has requested a few. Who could turn down that cute face?

Governors can't add earmarks in federal legislation.

Venkman 10-01-2008 05:13 PM

Is this even constitutional? Revenue bills are supposed to originate in the House, not the Senate. The House rejected their bill. Any new bailout bill needs to be voted on first by the House.

Am I missing something?

Tex 10-01-2008 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 272951)
"Requested."

Assuming she could find DC on a map to know where to send the letter.

Couric: Do you know where DC is?
Palin: Of course.
Couric: Could you show me on a map?
Palin: I know where DC is, Katie. I've been there.
Couric: I have a map right here ... can you just point it out?
Cali Coug: OMG!!! She doesn't even know where DC is!!! LOL!!!

TripletDaddy 10-01-2008 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 272975)
I have the impression it would go more like this:

Couric: Do you know where DC is?
Palin: Sure!
Couric: where is it?
Palin: In between B and E!

Tex: She is playing the media like a virtuoso!

ZING!

Get Tex to the burn unit...STAT! He's going to need extra gauze.

Tex 10-01-2008 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 272976)
This wouldn't be a revenue bill, I don't think. It calls for a tax cut in the Senate. Spending is not revenue.

I'm not sure what Venkman means by "revenue bill" but appropriations bills do and must start in the House. I don't know how this can be called anything but appropriations, so I am likewise interested to hear how they've gotten around that.

Tex 10-01-2008 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 272978)
Get Tex to the burn unit...STAT! He's going to need extra gauze.

It's all ball bearings, guys.

TripletDaddy 10-01-2008 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 272982)
It's all ball bearings, guys.

"perhaps you could use a refresher course...."

All right! Tex shows some life and busts out a Fletch reference....and a good one, at that. Nice job.

Welcome to Earth, Tex. Remove your data chip and feel free to participate more often! I have a feeling you have some decent material.

Venkman 10-01-2008 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 272981)
I'm not sure what Venkman means by "revenue bill" but appropriations bills do and must start in the House. I don't know how this can be called anything but appropriations, so I am likewise interested to hear how they've gotten around that.

The Constitution refers to revenue bill, so it depends on what the meaning of revenue bill is. I would think that $700b spending would fall under the spirit of the law, if not the letter. Seems like the house is being strong armed to me, and I'm not sure this is all on the up and up, constitutionally.

Of course, we've been getting around, or just ignoring, that pesky document for years now, so whether it's kosher or not is probably irrelevant at this point.

Tex 10-01-2008 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venkman (Post 272989)
The Constitution refers to revenue bill, so it depends on what the meaning of revenue bill is. I would think that $700b spending would fall under the spirit of the law, if not the letter. Seems like the house is being strong armed to me, and I'm not sure this is all on the up and up, constitutionally.

Of course, we've been getting around, or just ignoring, that pesky document for years now, so whether it's kosher or not is probably irrelevant at this point.

Hmm, interesting. Looks like I need a refresher myself.

A quick look on Wikipedia offers this explanation for how it might work:

Quote:

According to the United States Constitution (Article I, Section 7, clause 1), all bills relating to revenue, generally tax bills, must originate in the House of Representatives, consistent with the Westminster system requiring all money bills to originate in the lower house. The Constitution also states that the "Senate may propose or concur with Amendments as on other Bills," so in practice the Senate and House traditionally proceed separately, with each body drafting and considering their own bills separately. The Senate generally will amend its version of a particular appropriations bill to the House-passed version in order to send the bill to a conference committee prior to the bill becoming law. This is why the majority of appropriations bills that are enacted contain the H.R. modifier used to identify House introduced legislation.
So perhaps the Senate is permitted to draft revenue-related legislation and then just "attach" it to whatever equivalent bill is coming out of the House, for conference.

Ma'ake 10-01-2008 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 273009)
So perhaps the Senate is permitted to draft revenue-related legislation and then just "attach" it to whatever equivalent bill is coming out of the House, for conference.

I think this is right. A spending or taxation "bill" can originate in the Senate, in a non-binding form, almost like a resolution, but it doesn't mean a damn thing until the House takes up & passes that bill or something closely related, after which it goes to conference, etc.

A spending or taxation bill that originates & stays in the Senate is not binding, at all.