cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What internet Navy fans are saying about Coach Ken (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29592)

MikeWaters 12-10-2015 07:24 PM

What internet Navy fans are saying about Coach Ken

http://www.scout.com/college/navy/fo...ts-interesting

BlueK 12-10-2015 08:05 PM

I don't think he's going to get the job.

MikeWaters 12-10-2015 08:21 PM

But he's handsome and has a nice personality, and is very comfortable representing the LDS faith.

Plus he has had good success at Navy.

I guess you are thinking that there are concerns he is triple-option or nothing?

BlueK 12-10-2015 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 320854)
But he's handsome and has a nice personality, and is very comfortable representing the LDS faith.

Plus he has had good success at Navy.

I guess you are thinking that there are concerns he is triple-option or nothing?

1. He told Vai Sikahema he will bring the option to BYU if hired. At least that is what Vai tweeted this week. I guess he could be lying or heard wrong.

2. The option would be a horrible offense for BYU with the players we now have. The line would suck at it and the risk of losing a talent like Mangum over it is not worth it. And if he stays he'll get hurt trying to run it. We don't need to mention Hill next year if he comes back because he'll probably get hurt again regardless. Also, we are already restricted enough in the type of players we can recruit. Taking that to another level wouldn't be smart.

3. He's an offensive coach and played option as a QB. It might be different if he was a defensive guy and his current OC was running option. That would be more like Lavell. But that's not the case here.

4. He has never run any other kind of offense

5. He was reportedly fired as an assistant at UNLV for not being flexible enough to run a different offense.

6. There is something about option football that seems to hook them so much to it that it's permanently in their blood and they can't leave it. Crowton got a taste of it in 2001 and could never put the crack pipe down and even insisted on running option plays even when he didn't have a single QB who could do it effectively. The image of Matt Berry trying to run an option play belongs in a horror movie. Has anyone ever heard of an option coach who later ran something different? I haven't. You just don't see it.

7. Tom Holmoe's job in the interview is to ask him what kind of offense he would like to run, listen to the answer and then make the decision based on what he knows about BYU. He's not stupid. If Ken N. says he would keep the option like Vai said he told him, then he's not going to be offered. It would be unprofessional and bad policy to hire a coach and tell him he can't run the offense he wants. That sounds Jerry Jones-like -- hire the coach and tie his hands. That has never worked in Dallas. It's also unprofessional. Holmoe is too smart to try that here.

All that said, I guess it's possible he could get hired, ditch the option, hire an OC who can run a passing offense that fits what we have, and step back enough to just run the team. If that happens it could work. But he would be breaking a mold, IMO, that would be hard for an option coach to break.

MikeWaters 12-10-2015 11:54 PM

Ken N. with no option, as a very good recruiter (fingers crossed) with good OC. Maybe that could work.

BlueK 12-11-2015 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 320860)
Ken N. with no option, as a very good recruiter (fingers crossed) with good OC. Maybe that could work.

Yes, I agree that could work. I do think he's a good coach. Under the right conditions it might be fine.

BlueK 12-11-2015 12:29 AM

One of the funnier rumors on cougarboard is that coach Ken was offered the job over the weekend and he accepted. But then he checked cougarboard on Sunday night and unaccepted the offer first thing Monday morning.

MikeWaters 12-11-2015 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueK (Post 320864)
One of the funnier rumors on cougarboard is that coach Ken was offered the job over the weekend and he accepted. But then he checked cougarboard on Sunday night and unaccepted the offer first thing Monday morning.

LOL, those morons.

MikeWaters 12-11-2015 03:26 PM

Btw, the Lord will not allow Tom Holmoe to lead us astray. He would be removed from his place before that would be allowed to happen.

BlueK 12-11-2015 03:33 PM

I like Tom Holmoe. Maybe he just seems good because the previous regime of AD by committee of Bateman/Skousen/Val Hale was so freaking incompetent. But I think he actually does a good job.

BlueK 12-11-2015 03:36 PM

Someone on cougarboard did point out that Troy Calhoun at Air Force did coach in the NFL and ran an offense there that made sense for that situation. Then he came back to AFA and went back to the option. The difference I would say is that Calhoun was in the NFL for several years and got trained in different approaches, where coach Ken hasn't done that. On the other hand, if he comes in and hires a passing OC and can focus on the overall management of the program like Lavell, then he might work out just fine. That is the one thing he does have experience in, unlike most of the other names being kicked around.

MikeWaters 12-11-2015 03:51 PM

Imagine Ken N. sitting in the living room with a 5-star blue-chip LDS Poly athlete with his family in southern Cal.

I have a friend who is a Samoan, lives in LA area. So occasionally I see stuff from his poly friends on FB. One of them said if Anae is hired, he would be very favorably inclined to want his kid to go to BYU. And that he is not a BYU fan. That's only one data point.

But I could see this working well.

I would want a coach who can recruit from all sectors. All walks of life. White, black, poly, Asian, Austro-Melanesian.

Archaea 12-11-2015 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 320874)
Imagine Ken N. sitting in the living room with a 5-star blue-chip LDS Poly athlete with his family in southern Cal.

I have a friend who is a Samoan, lives in LA area. So occasionally I see stuff from his poly friends on FB. One of them said if Anae is hired, he would be very favorably inclined to want his kid to go to BYU. And that he is not a BYU fan. That's only one data point.

But I could see this working well.

I would want a coach who can recruit from all sectors. All walks of life. White, black, poly, Asian, Austro-Melanesian.

"Austro-Melanesian". How many have we recruited to play football? What you do want to mine the athletic talent found with our Jewish brethren?

BlueK 12-11-2015 05:45 PM

The roster is very diverse these days compared to the Lavell years. The thing is, it's all 3 star players with maybe one or two 4-star guys per recruiting class. The problem is there are at least 5 to 10 4-star and 5-star LDS players every year that we just don't get anymore. We did under Lavell and even Crowton. And they're not really going to Utah either. They go to Stanford, USC, etc. Can we ever get some of those guys? Perhaps even the majority of those highly rated LDS players are Polynesian.

MikeWaters 12-11-2015 07:18 PM

I think we will do better.

But P5 is a big deal.

My insider former player that I talked to said Bronco was perceived of as a "weirdo" by the players. Not charismatic. Not a people person. Didn't feel close to Bronco.

This is the whole reason that I am glad Bronco has moved on--the idea or hope that we can get better players.

Maybe I'm wrong. I hope not.

MikeWaters 12-11-2015 07:43 PM

This notion that Holmoe's hands are tied in terms of the hiring is amusing.

That the BOT is dictating that Ken N. be hired.

I find that hard to believe. The BOT is too busy saving The Family to be concerned about the triple option or not concerned by it.

BlueK 12-11-2015 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 320878)
This notion that Holmoe's hands are tied in terms of the hiring is amusing.

That the BOT is dictating that Ken N. be hired.

I find that hard to believe. The BOT is too busy saving The Family to be concerned about the triple option or not concerned by it.

Right. I don't believe the BoT cares about that at all. Holmoe is obviously interested because Ken N. has been a winner at a program that would be hard to win at that has restrictions and high conduct standards. Being a head coach isn't something that would be new to him. And that's important. The BoT is going to rubber stamp whoever TH chooses as long as he's LDS and a good guy.

ChinoCoug 12-12-2015 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueK (Post 320876)
The roster is very diverse these days compared to the Lavell years. The thing is, it's all 3 star players with maybe one or two 4-star guys per recruiting class. The problem is there are at least 5 to 10 4-star and 5-star LDS players every year that we just don't get anymore. We did under Lavell and even Crowton. And they're not really going to Utah either. They go to Stanford, USC, etc. Can we ever get some of those guys? Perhaps even the majority of those highly rated LDS players are Polynesian.

I'd say 90% of the ones at the important positions (OT and pass rusher) are Polynesian. Qb is most important, of course, but we already get the best. In fact, I dare to say we sometimes get the best in the land (Heaps and BO) but when we don't ,there's not a big difference between what we get and the best.

ChinoCoug 12-12-2015 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 320875)
"Austro-Melanesian". How many have we recruited to play football? What you do want to mine the athletic talent found with our Jewish brethren?

The aboriginals of Taiwan are Austronesian. 2% of the population, 6 of the 9 starters on the National baseball team, first two from the country to make the MLB.

MikeWaters 12-12-2015 05:05 PM

ken was interviewed this morning on ESPN it he said he's going to be interviewed next week. He signaled that he would strongly consider taking the BYU job. All signs point to him being the next BYU coach.

Archaea 12-12-2015 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 320890)
ken was interviewed this morning on ESPN it he said he's going to be interviewed next week. He signaled that he would strongly consider taking the BYU job. All signs point to him being the next BYU coach.

Yet I have a lot of people telling me it's going to be Kyle, which would make me happy.

ChinoCoug 12-12-2015 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 320891)
Yet I have a lot of people telling me it's going to be Kyle, which would make me happy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHDyPz1O2gc

MikeWaters 12-13-2015 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 320892)

Now that there is funny.

MikeWaters 12-13-2015 12:57 PM

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...n_BYU_job.html

Navy AD upset about KN admitting he would interview at BYU, before the Army game.

So ridiculous. I didn't know the Navy AD (and apparently many Navy fans) wear panties.

Archaea 12-13-2015 07:15 PM

I read it that the AD was upset the information came to light before the game, not that he "interviewed".

Navy fans upset and think he is betraying them and burned some bridges.
http://www.scout.com/college/navy/fo...g?s=240&page=4

MikeWaters 12-13-2015 07:30 PM

No he said he *would* interview, before the Army game. He hasn't interviewed yet.

MikeWaters 12-14-2015 04:25 PM

I hope Coach K. realizes that the BYU job is not like Navy. The expectations are higher. Winning solves everything. Nothing solves losing, except winning. The fans will turn on him in a heartbeat if he does not put a good product out there.

And exclamations of faith in the setting of losing are not going to win him kudos.

I hope he can be the entire package. But most of all I hope he can recruit. Nick Saban wins because he recruits the best players. You can't do that in the NFL. It's a level playing field there. With Bronco's recruiting we were playing underwater. We need better.

Archaea 12-15-2015 03:39 PM

At some point, BYU needs to sign a coach. The obvious candidates should be able to have some measure of success. I wonder how long Virginia and Bronco were in negotiations.

How long was Richt in negotiations with Miami? Shouldn't TH be pre-prepared for this?

BlueK 12-15-2015 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 320906)
At some point, BYU needs to sign a coach. The obvious candidates should be able to have some measure of success. I wonder how long Virginia and Bronco were in negotiations.

How long was Richt in negotiations with Miami? Shouldn't TH be pre-prepared for this?

Bronco and Viriginia were talking for several days. They just kept it quiet.

MikeWaters 12-15-2015 03:57 PM

I put this on Coach K.

I mean, this is a coach who last season (or the season before), when asked on national TV why he called a timeout just before a critical play (had he not called it, probably would have lost game), said it was because of the man upstairs telling him to do it.

So he's probably making a prayerful decision, taking his time to study and think about it and wait for inspiration.

It's not obvious that BYU is a better position. Sad to say. Probably gets paid better at Navy. Has staff and players he cares about. Can do things the way he wants to do them. Has a national platform with games against Notre Dame and Army every year.

If we got tired of Bronco mixing religion with football, get ready for a whole 'nother level of that with Coach K.

MikeWaters 12-15-2015 05:03 PM

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-...153110332.html

Quote:

“I suspect it will be a few days, but we shall see,” Niumatalolo’s agent, Evan Beard, said when reached by telephone. “It could happen in the next 10 minutes, but look, he’s not going to make a hurried decision.”
Umm, Coach Ken, you don't have a few days to make this decision.

MikeWaters 12-15-2015 09:26 PM

Getting hired as HC at BYU consists of a two part interview:

1. Tom Holmoe tells you about the job.

2. The BOT tells you about your pay cut.

MikeWaters 12-16-2015 01:32 AM

Got a 7 day ban on CB for my joke about Coach Ken getting ticked off that a BYU admin called him up due to problems with his receipts for his $25 per diem. CB said it was a disguised attack against the church. They're hilarious.

BlueK 12-16-2015 02:05 AM

From what I have pieced together from different internet sources, this is what I believe is the deal:

BYU has a policy of having to interview at least three people for a head coaching position. They have interviewed Coach Ken and Kalani Sitake so far. Because they haven't done their third one yet, Coach Ken N. has not gotten an official offer yet. The third interview will be with Kyle W. after Saturday.

MikeWaters 12-16-2015 02:15 AM

I have a hard time believing that Whitt would interview. I would be shocked if Whitt pursued the BYU job.

Archaea 12-16-2015 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 320918)
I have a hard time believing that Whitt would interview. I would be shocked if Whitt pursued the BYU job.

Why not interview him before? It is just odd that BYU drags its fee so much on things so important.

ChinoCoug 12-16-2015 06:48 AM

So BYU didn't pick up coach Ken at the airport and might have offended Kalani as well.

If they botch this one, the Bayesian in me will start to fault them for the big xii.

ChinoCoug 12-16-2015 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueK (Post 320917)
From what I have pieced together from different internet sources, this is what I believe is the deal:

BYU has a policy of having to interview at least three people for a head coaching position. They have interviewed Coach Ken and Kalani Sitake so far. Because they haven't done their third one yet, Coach Ken N. has not gotten an official offer yet. The third interview will be with Kyle W. after Saturday.

Do you have a source for this policy aside from another message board?

ChinoCoug 12-16-2015 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueK (Post 320917)

Do you have a source for this policy aside from another message board?

ChinoCoug 12-16-2015 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 320908)
I put this on Coach K.

I mean, this is a coach who last season (or the season before), when asked on national TV why he called a timeout just before a critical play (had he not called it, probably would have lost game), said it was because of the man upstairs telling him to do it.

So he's probably making a prayerful decision, taking his time to study and think about it and wait for inspiration.

It's not obvious that BYU is a better position. Sad to say. Probably gets paid better at Navy. Has staff and players he cares about. Can do things the way he wants to do them. Has a national platform with games against Notre Dame and Army every year.

If we got tired of Bronco mixing religion with football, get ready for a whole 'nother level of that with Coach K.

This isn't uncommon among coaches. Dabo Swinney is an even bigger Jesus freak and he's about to win a national championship with Clemson.