cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Gayborhoods? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13831)

K-dog 11-12-2007 09:15 PM

Gayborhoods?

I just read another article on the Marmalade district of SLC and their effort to define themselves as a "gayborhood." I'm intrigued by the effort to label and carve out districts that are predominantly homosexual. The 'Mos seem to be trying to create their own area in each city where others views aren't tolerated. As someone living in one of the areas they are trying to control, I get really sick of their constant efforts to silence the opinions of others and impose on others lives.

FMCoug 11-12-2007 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K-dog (Post 149289)
I just read another article on the Marmalade district of SLC and their effort to define themselves as a "gayborhood." I'm intrigued by the effort to label and carve out districts that are predominantly homosexual. The 'Mos seem to be trying to create their own area in each city where others views aren't tolerated. As someone living in one of the areas they are trying to control, I get really sick of their constant efforts to silence the opinions of others and impose on others lives.

Agreed. Why is it okay for "minority" groups to do this? Isn't this what the civil rights movement was about?

K-dog 11-12-2007 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMCoug (Post 149299)
Agreed. Why is it okay for "minority" groups to do this? Isn't this what the civil rights movement was about?

I think it is a version of the Robin Hood syndrome. The idea the the perceived disadvantaged can do whatever to those perceived as advantaged.

MikeWaters 11-12-2007 09:23 PM

Gays will typically move into marginal neighborhoods, that educated well-off non-gay folks would not move to. They start rehabilitating the neighborhoods and then suddenly the straight people start moving in as well.

Gay neighbors is about as good as you can do in terms of neighbors.

If you really hate what has happened then don't be a hypocrite. Donate the increased value of your home when you sell to an anti-gay group.

K-dog 11-12-2007 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 149307)
Gays will typically move into marginal neighborhoods, that educated well-off non-gay folks would not move to. They start rehabilitating the neighborhoods and then suddenly the straight people start moving in as well.

If you really hate what has happened then don't be a hypocrite. Donate the increased value of your home when you sell to an anti-gay group.

I'm not sure what the donation nonsense has to do with it but what I hate is the effort to silence those with differing viewpoints. I like my neighborhood, I like my neighbors. The homosexuals in my neighborhood have not created the value in the neighborhood. The value was created by LDS families long ago and by the incredible proximity to downtown. What they have created in the Avenues and in other areas is an environment that is increasingly hostile to non-HGLBTC lifestyle friendly peoples.

MikeWaters 11-12-2007 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K-dog (Post 149323)
I'm not sure what the donation nonsense has to do with it but what I hate is the effort to silence those with differing viewpoints. I like my neighborhood, I like my neighbors. The homosexuals in my neighborhood have not created the value in the neighborhood. The value was created by LDS families long ago and by the incredible proximity to downtown. What they have created in the Avenues and in other areas is an environment that is increasingly hostile to non-HGLBTC lifestyle friendly peoples.

When you stop profiting from them, I'll listen. My account is set to "hypocritical post - OFF" right now.

smokymountainrain 11-12-2007 09:36 PM

Quote:

that was a fun little generalization.

Call me crazy, but my experience is that there are good gay neighbors and bad gay neighbors, just as I've seen with straight neighbors. Not sure why gay neighbors would be any better than straight neighbors or vice versa.

funny how that works. Apparently you've had a different experience. One that doesn't seem to make a lot of sense, but who am I to argue with your experience? Assuming that is what you're basing that comment on.

K-dog 11-12-2007 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 149327)
When you stop profiting from them, I'll listen. My account is set to "hypocritical post - OFF" right now.

How am I profiting from them? If I owned a house in a bad neighborhood and gay people were moving in I would be profiting from them. For example, if I owned a house in Marmalade, you would have an argument. In the Aves...you have no argument. It isn't more gay now than it was before I bought. Therefore, explain how I am profiting from gay people if they aren't increasing demand?

Archaea 11-12-2007 09:38 PM

Quote:

To my knowledge, Vegas doesn't have gayborhoods, though I understand they exist in other areas. Now somebody may point out where they exist, but I haven't really focused upon that concept.

MikeWaters 11-12-2007 09:38 PM

More about gays and gentrification:

Quote:

Gay men

Manuel Castells's seminal work on gay men as "gentrifiers" in San Francisco has revealed a pattern replicated, to some degree, in other North American cities, as "many [gays] were single men, did not have to raise a family (in urban schools of questionable quality), were young, and connected to a relatively prosperous service economy" (Castells, 1983, p. 160). Many gay and lesbian people leave their towns and neighborhoods of origin to start a new life and form a new community after coming out.

The PBS documentary Flag Wars [1] outlined the tension between an urban African-American community in the old silk stocking district of Columbus, Ohio and the mainly white gays and lesbians moving in, who were accused of gentrification and racism.

Real estate trends can push out poorer gay people, as in San Francisco's Polk District; radical queer activists saw the value of an impoverished neighborhood as a refuge for the economically, sexually and socially marginalized, while others saw renovations and increased real estate values as signs of improvement in the neighborhood.[2] A gay neighborhood might be termed a gay ghetto.[citation needed]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentrification
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay_village

The process is going on in Dallas as gays have moved to an impoverished area in South Dallas, have reinvigorated an art district, etc.

MikeWaters 11-12-2007 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 149336)
To my knowledge, Vegas doesn't have gayborhoods, though I understand they exist in other areas. Now somebody may point out where they exist, but I haven't really focused upon that concept.

http://gayghettos.com/regional-lists.htm

Oak Cliff in Dallas, noted for its production of div 1A football talent, is one of these neighborhoods.

TripletDaddy 11-12-2007 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K-dog (Post 149323)

Is this a joke? The entire BeeHive state is currently operated under the unofficial mantra of silencing those with differing viewpoints. Why get upset when homosexuals want to get in on the alienation game in Utah?

It isnt a gay man's job to increase your property values. In Utah, you increase your property values by purchasing elaborate wicker crafts for your doors and porches, as well as digging a hole in your backyard for your trampoline. Also, leave lots of kiddie toys all over your yard that has no fence so that everyone can see it from 2 blocks away.

Similarly, if you want to create value in your neighborhood, sell your C class and buy an E. Or at least "re-badge" your C so visitors can see how wealthy the area is. You blame the gays but in reality, your logo-less vehicle is what is bringing down property values.

K-dog 11-12-2007 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 149337)
More about gays and gentrification:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentrification
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay_village

The process is going on in Dallas as gays have moved to an impoverished area in South Dallas, have reinvigorated an art district, etc.

I get your comments now. You don't know enough about the neighborhoods to comment on the subject specifically so you throw out a generality from an article you've read and then try to force others to think what you know about is what is happening.

MikeWaters 11-12-2007 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokymountainrain (Post 149333)

funny how that works. Apparently you've had a different experience. One that doesn't seem to make a lot of sense, but who am I to argue with your experience? Assuming that is what you're basing that comment on.

I learned from TripletDaddy that I can't argue against experience.

I guess K-dog wins then, because he has the most experience.

smokymountainrain 11-12-2007 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 149346)

just not sure why you think gay neighbors are about as good as you can do in terms of neighbors.

What makes a gay neighbor better than a straight neighbor or a black neighbor or a bi neighbor, etc..?

K-dog 11-12-2007 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 149343)
Is this a joke? The entire BeeHive state is currently operated under the unofficial mantra of silencing those with differing viewpoints. Why get upset when homosexuals want to get in on the alienation game in Utah?

It isnt a gay man's job to increase your property values. In Utah, you increase your property values by purchasing elaborate wicker crafts for your doors and porches, as well as digging a hole in your backyard for your trampoline. Also, leave lots of kiddie toys all over your yard that has no fence so that everyone can see it from 2 blocks away.

Similarly, if you want to create value in your neighborhood, sell your C class and buy an E. Or at least "re-badge" your C so visitors can see how wealthy the area is. You blame the gays but in reality, your logo-less vehicle is what is bringing down property values.

Who said it was their job to create property values? Not me. I said I didn't want them trying to stifle the social and political environment. Mike wanted to talk about them "raising values" of property in my neighborhood. Maybe you should practice reading more of the posts before you start commenting and demonstrating your ignorance of the subject.

MikeWaters 11-12-2007 09:45 PM

I think gays in SLC are probably more accurately hostile to those that are hostile to them.

You claim persecution K-dog, but I don't believe it. Not for one lousy second.

I bet you anything I could buy your house (assuming that suddenly my salary quintuples of course, who can afford anything you can afford?) and after a year I would be very puzzled about this supposed persecution.

MikeWaters 11-12-2007 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokymountainrain (Post 149352)
just not sure why you think gay neighbors are about as good as you can do in terms of neighbors.

What makes a gay neighbor better than a straight neighbor or a black neighbor or a bi neighbor, etc..?

Gentrification. Do I need to explain what that is?

Brian 11-12-2007 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokymountainrain (Post 149352)

48% of gays work in tin foil factories.
free foil.

TripletDaddy 11-12-2007 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 149346)

Admittedly, my position is pretty extreme. Those avec may know more than those sans. Where did I get that crazy idea?

K-dog 11-12-2007 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K-dog (Post 149289)

DDD and Mike, make sure you keep on topic and realize who brings up what in the posts. I'm talking about the homosexuals creating "their own area in each city where others views aren't tolerated." Mike thinks homosexuals increase property values. I haven't seen that but I'm certain it isn't the case in my neighborhood...at least since I've been there. If you want to argue with me or make comments about my life or my car (DDD) at least read a little so I can understand your point without putting myself in the stupidest mindframe possible so I can use my empathic powers on your posts.

K-dog 11-12-2007 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 149356)
I think gays in SLC are probably more accurately hostile to those that are hostile to them.

You claim persecution K-dog, but I don't believe it. Not for one lousy second.

I bet you anything I could buy your house (assuming that suddenly my salary quintuples of course, who can afford anything you can afford?) and after a year I would be very puzzled about this supposed persecution.

I don't claim persecution. I claim an effort to silence. For example, signs supporting candidates who don't have the proper "position" torn from my yard and thrown through my window.

TripletDaddy 11-12-2007 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K-dog (Post 149368)
I don't claim persecution. I claim an effort to silence. For example, signs supporting candidates who don't have the proper "position" torn from my yard and thrown through my window.

What about a brick through your window that says "Burn in Hell."

Listen, K Dog, if you insisit on organizing this dance, you are going to have to expect this kind of stuff.

MikeWaters 11-12-2007 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K-dog (Post 149368)

Just like Lebowski's signs in the middle of Utah County?

What's your point?

I borrowed a car from a friend in SLC on my way to a BYU game in Provo. As I was driving in Provo, I noticed that many people were glaring at me when I was stopped. I thought maybe it was my imagination. And there are many legitimate reasons to glare at me. But later, I realized that the car I had borrowed had a bumper sticker opposing the anti-gay marriage amendment.

Were those folks in Provo trying to create an anti-gay-friendly zone?

It's a f&*#ing war, and you're upset that the guys who are outnumbered 100-1 want an enclave?

TripletDaddy 11-12-2007 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K-dog (Post 149363)
DDD and Mike, make sure you keep on topic and realize who brings up what in the posts. I'm talking about the homosexuals creating "their own area in each city where others views aren't tolerated." Mike thinks homosexuals increase property values. I haven't seen that but I'm certain it isn't the case in my neighborhood...at least since I've been there. If you want to argue with me or make comments about my life or my car (DDD) at least read a little so I can understand your point without putting myself in the stupidest mindframe possible so I can use my empathic powers on your posts.

To K-Dog, Mike, and K-Dog's de-badged car:

I apologize to all 3 of you. My comments were rash and not on topic.

After re-reading the thread, I realize that what I meant to say is: one of you is a homophobe, one of you is a neophyte, and one of you sells for under $45K!

Your friend,

DDD

K-dog 11-12-2007 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 149371)
What about a brick through your window that says "Burn in Hell."

Listen, K Dog, if you insisit on organizing this dance, you are going to have to expect this kind of stuff.

Is your implication that because worse things happened to someone it negates the fact that they are acting inappropriately in creating a political environment that stifles free speech? If you're not, I don't know what you're trying to say with the dancing and brick stuff.

K-dog 11-12-2007 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 149372)
Just like Lebowski's signs in the middle of Utah County?

What's your point?

I borrowed a car from a friend in SLC on my way to a BYU game in Provo. As I was driving in Provo, I noticed that many people were glaring at me when I was stopped. I thought maybe it was my imagination. And there are many legitimate reasons to glare at me. But later, I realized that the car I had borrowed had a bumper sticker opposing the anti-gay marriage amendment.

Were those folks in Provo trying to create an anti-gay-friendly zone?

It's a f&*#ing war, and you're upset that the guys who are outnumbered 100-1 want an enclave?

Actually Mike, unlike you, I don't want it to be a fucking war. I want it to be a lot easier than that. People like you on both sides are the problem. Not people like me.

MikeWaters 11-12-2007 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K-dog (Post 149378)
Actually Mike, unlike you, I don't want it to be a fucking war. I want it to be a lot easier than that. People like you on both sides are the problem. Not people like me.

You've extrapolated from one sign to an entire movement. Nice. What would happen if a Mexican kicked your dog? Or a black scraped your door in a parking lot?

JohnnyLingo 11-12-2007 10:03 PM

Quote:

Look, K-dog. The sooner you realize Mike takes the minority side of everything and then aggressively argues for it, often without knowing what he's talking about, the sooner you'll be happy here.

TripletDaddy 11-12-2007 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K-dog (Post 149376)
Is your implication that because worse things happened to someone it negates the fact that they are acting inappropriately in creating a political environment that stifles free speech? If you're not, I don't know what you're trying to say with the dancing and brick stuff.

My implication is this: Dont complain about being persecuted while living in a neighborhood called "Marmalade" UNLESS you have walked a mile in Kevin Bacon's shoes. If you think it is tough in SLC, try living down by the Lehi Rollermills.

TripletDaddy 11-12-2007 10:07 PM

Quote:

When you say "not people like me," do you mean people who put signs in their lawn supporting candidates that want to stifle the opinions of others?

Or do you just get bugged when you find yourself in the uncomfortable position of being in the minorty in your neighborhood?

I remember a group of good ole boys in the South who operated under the same credo: We were here first...we built this place....get out and get your own place.....

It was a grand old club.....or Klan, I mean....yes, it was definitely a Klan....

MikeWaters 11-12-2007 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 149387)
When you say "not people like me," do you mean people who put signs in their lawn supporting candidates that want to stifle the opinions of others?

Or do you just get bugged when you find yourself in the uncomfortable position of being in the minorty in your neighborhood?

I remember a group of good ole boys in the South who operated under the same credo: We were here first...we built this place....get out and get your own place.....

It was a grand old club.....or Klan, I mean....yes, it was definitely a Klan....

Remember that the value of that neighborhood is due to the LDS families that built the homes and its proximity to downtown. It has nothing to do with gay folks moving in.

K-dog 11-12-2007 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 149383)
You've extrapolated from one sign to an entire movement. Nice. What would happen if a Mexican kicked your dog? Or a black scraped your door in a parking lot?

No, I've extrapolated from one sign and the effort to create enclaves (as previously mentioned) that there is a desire to create said enclaves and gay ghettos where solidarity is at the fore. Those things, in conjunction with my gay phone book, gay neighborhood council, and other things result in my belief that there is an effort to create an environment where alternative political thought is discouraged. If you would focus on the point more and less on trying to find opportunities to spout pre-prepared opinions, you migh actually know what's going on. Instead, you wanted to give me a lecture on housing prices gleaned from an article about gentrification. Now, seeing that your article and use of an "intellectual" term does not suffice for the board combat you seek, you want to create a situation about Mexican's and dogs. Let me guess, you have an article on that subject too. In that article, are you the dog or the mexican? Or maybe you want to talk about black people and driving. I can only assume the goal of this is to talk about my car. Either way, let's talk about the point from the first post. Is it appropriate to create enclaves of unified political thought by alienating and attacking those who don't agree with you? I contend that it isn't appropriate. I also contend that in the case of minority groups it is considered more appropriate due to what I name the Robin Hood syndrome. If you have a thought on that topic, by all means, respond. If instead you want to talk about the gentrification of dogs by black people driving mexican made cars, someone else will have to respond because I can't keep up with you in your area of expertise.

K-dog 11-12-2007 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 149385)
My implication is this: Dont complain about being persecuted while living in a neighborhood called "Marmalade" UNLESS you have walked a mile in Kevin Bacon's shoes. If you think it is tough in SLC, try living down by the Lehi Rollermills.

Now I don't have any idea what you're talking about. I don't live in Marmalade.

K-dog 11-12-2007 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 149387)

I think it is obvious from the quote that I'm opposed to people on both sides who are trying to make it a war...people not like me.

K-dog 11-12-2007 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 149389)
Remember that the value of that neighborhood is due to the LDS families that built the homes and its proximity to downtown. It has nothing to do with gay folks moving in.

I think anyone would agree that the neighborhood was populated by LDS families originally, starting in the early 1900s. I think everyone would agree it is close to downtown. As a result, I think everyone would agree the neighborhood was created by them and has remained vibrant ever since and as a result, your gentrification argument is contrived and foolish.

TripletDaddy 11-12-2007 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K-dog (Post 149392)
I think it is obvious from the quote that I'm opposed to people on both sides who are trying to make it a war...people not like me.

As a self-professed Swiss, what would you have the gays do? NOT try to galvanize support and political representation? Or just move away to San Francisco, where all gays should live? Heaven forbid they branch out and move to other areas and seek political and economic clout.

You mentioned earlier about mexican cars. Wouldnt this be a sweet car for your neighborhood?

http://www.aidanmoran.com/images/Mexican_WC_Car.jpg

MikeWaters 11-12-2007 10:21 PM

Here is an article about Marmalade. I guess it's just a coincidence that the featured example is of a person who bought a boarded up house and renovated it. Just a coincidence. No, there is no gentrification going on in the Marmalade district.

Quote:

Aaron was drawn to the area because of its multifaceted diversity and proximity to downtown. He also was able to buy, in 1990, a boarded-up, 1918 bungalow for $29,900 and renovate it for another $20,000.
http://origin.sltrib.com/ci_7439427

No gay development, gentrification, economic issues going on here:

Quote:

And Marmalade is about to get even hipper - and perhaps more gay - with the construction of Rick Howa's mixed-use project along 300 West from 500 North to 600 North, Aaron noted in Q Salt Lake last year, precipitating the gayborhood debate question.
The $50 million project, also called "Marmalade," will feature 90 high-end condos and 50,000 square feet of shops, service-oriented businesses and eateries. Preference is being given to locally owned businesses, says De Lay, who is handling the condo sales.
None here either.

Quote:

In a live debate hosted by The Salt Lake Tribune and KUTV Channel 2 one week before Election Day, the candidates were asked if they would support a "gayborhood" taking root in the Marmalade district that boasts gay-owned businesses, according to a recent issue of Q Salt Lake magazine, which caters to a lesbian and gay audience.
http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_7327645?source=rv

Sad that you live there and are so unaware of the issues.

TripletDaddy 11-12-2007 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 149396)
Here is an article about Marmalade. I guess it's just a coincidence that the featured example is of a person who bought a boarded up house and renovated it. Just a coincidence. No, there is no gentrification going on in the Marmalade district.

http://origin.sltrib.com/ci_7439427

No gay development, gentrification, economic issues going on here:

None here either.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_7327645?source=rv

Sad that you live there and are so unaware of the issues.

All these gentrification examples are a red herring. Just because you bring in shopping and eateries, create jobs, and increase the overall economic footprint by giving preference to locally-owned businesses, it doesnt mean you are adding value. Gays are NOT adding value in this neighborhood. Get your facts straight.

MikeWaters 11-12-2007 10:31 PM

More about gay gentrification of the Marmalade district:

http://qsaltlake.com/2004/7/feature.shtml