cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness and Wellness (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   FM's weight loss adventure (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17284)

FMCoug 03-01-2008 04:40 PM

FM's weight loss adventure

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runner Coug (Post 192281)
You know, to help keep you committed, you should start a blog of your weight loss adventures. It would be cool to follow your progress.

This thread was inspired by RunnerCoug's suggestion that I start a blog to keep track of things. I'm too lazy to do that so if nobody objects, I'll just use this thread. Hopefully I can get a bit more feedback here than I would on a blog as well. If you feel like it doesn't belong here ... say so and I'll stop.

Background
Some background for those who don't know. I'm 5'9" and was 310 lbs when I started this on 2/19. I'm down to 302 at this point. My initial goal is to get inside 200. I'm 37 years old and getting to the age where I HAVE to get this weight off or I'm going to see real health issues. At my last physical I had high blood pressure (not dangerously high but higer than it should be), high tryglycerides, and borderline high cholesterol. Doc says I'm a great candidate for diabetes as well.

Also, I have not always been fat. In high school I was on the swim team and played water polo ... weight at graduation was about 165. So I wasn't a fat kid by any means. Just started gaining on my mission (cars the whole time), college, etc. I have talked to a fair amount of HS swimmers who have gone through the same thing. My theory is that you combine the metabolism of a HS aged male with swimming / polo workouts and you end up with some REALLY bad eating habits. Anyway, that's just a little history.

The plan
I'm using http://www.fitday.com to tracky my food intake, calories burned, weight loss, etc. According to the site, at my height/weight/age, I burn about 3000 calories a day between my BMR and lifestyle.

Food plan:
- 2000-2500 calories a day, spread out over 5-6 meals
- Daily breakdown of approx. 40% carb, 40% protein, 20% (or less) fat. I know the fat should be lower but I also know how I eat. And when I don't get that much fat I'm a lot hungrier on the reduced calorie diet.
- At least a gallon of water a day. They say half your body weight but 155 oz is a LOT of water.
- Also taking multivitamins to make sure I get the nutrients I need. FitDay has charts for that too.

Exercise Plan:
- resistance training on my home gym 2-3 times a week. Not going very heavy in weight ... just trying to build a little muscle to burn calories and tone up.
- Daily cardio that burns at least 500 calories. Hopefully can get this to 1000.

Between the diet and exercise, I should create a daily caloric deficit of 1500-2000 calories, allowing me to take the weight off at 2-3 lbs a week.

FMCoug 03-01-2008 04:45 PM

Progress the first week

So I started this plan on 2/19. My exercise at that point was the lifting (I'll post more details on that another time) and walking 5 miles / day on my treadmill. I did the 5 miles two days in a row and then my tendonitis I had in my left foot about a year ago flared up. Took a day off and then I was alright for the rest of the week.

One thing I know I do need to do is get some new shoes. At the podiatrists recommendation, I went to a running store here in Dallas at the time and had them fit me for some good shoes based on how I walk, etc. But that was a year ago and I'm sure they need replacing.

In any case, I did great that first week and lost 7.5 lbs. Of course a lot of that was likely water weight.

FMCoug 03-01-2008 04:50 PM

Week2 (2/24 - 3/1)

After the great first week, I went and got the flu which seriously hurt my progress. Didn't exercise at all the first half of the week. The flu was so bad that it made all my muscles hurt, including the tendonitis in my foot. I've been limping ever since.

Based on that and the need for a low impact exercise to mix things up, I bought a bike. Other threads here have all the details on that so I won't post it here. But one thing I noticed is that with only being able to walk 3mph on the treadmill, I clearly wasn't getting much cardio benefit. The first bike ride was just 2 miles last night when I brought the bike home and I though I was going to die (mostly lungs / breathing). One thing I should probably invest in is a heart rate monitor. I have a chest strap for the treadmill but need to get the wrist unit for the bike.

I did manage to lift once this week and will again today so I'll at least get 2 of those in. And will try to ride the bike and/or walk on the treadmill today and tomorrow.

Weigh-in is on Monday nights (FHE) but given the flu, injuries, etc. I'm hoping just not to gain anything back this week. Hopefully I can stay healthy. One thing I'm noticing is that as fat and out of shape I am, the exercising is a double-edged sword as I'm injuring myself. Guess we'll see how it goes.

ewth8tr 03-01-2008 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMCoug (Post 192320)
This thread was inspired by RunnerCoug's suggestion that I start a blog to keep track of things. I'm too lazy to do that so if nobody objects, I'll just use this thread. Hopefully I can get a bit more feedback here than I would on a blog as well. If you feel like it doesn't belong here ... say so and I'll stop.

Background
Some background for those who don't know. I'm 5'9" and was 310 lbs when I started this on 2/19. I'm down to 302 at this point. My initial goal is to get inside 200. I'm 37 years old and getting to the age where I HAVE to get this weight off or I'm going to see real health issues. At my last physical I had high blood pressure (not dangerously high but higer than it should be), high tryglycerides, and borderline high cholesterol. Doc says I'm a great candidate for diabetes as well.

Also, I have not always been fat. In high school I was on the swim team and played water polo ... weight at graduation was about 165. So I wasn't a fat kid by any means. Just started gaining on my mission (cars the whole time), college, etc. I have talked to a fair amount of HS swimmers who have gone through the same thing. My theory is that you combine the metabolism of a HS aged male with swimming / polo workouts and you end up with some REALLY bad eating habits. Anyway, that's just a little history.

The plan
I'm using http://www.fitday.com to tracky my food intake, calories burned, weight loss, etc. According to the site, at my height/weight/age, I burn about 3000 calories a day between my BMR and lifestyle.

Food plan:
- 2000-2500 calories a day, spread out over 5-6 meals
- Daily breakdown of approx. 40% carb, 40% protein, 20% (or less) fat. I know the fat should be lower but I also know how I eat. And when I don't get that much fat I'm a lot hungrier on the reduced calorie diet.
- At least a gallon of water a day. They say half your body weight but 155 oz is a LOT of water.
- Also taking multivitamins to make sure I get the nutrients I need. FitDay has charts for that too.

Exercise Plan:
- resistance training on my home gym 2-3 times a week. Not going very heavy in weight ... just trying to build a little muscle to burn calories and tone up.
- Daily cardio that burns at least 500 calories. Hopefully can get this to 1000.

Between the diet and exercise, I should create a daily caloric deficit of 1500-2000 calories, allowing me to take the weight off at 2-3 lbs a week.

This is a great thing you have decided to do. My dad is your height and about your weight (probably a few pounds heavier, but not much), but is almost 56. At 46, he developed Type 2 Diabetes, he has high blood pressure, high cholesterol, asthma, and about 3 years ago he was diagnosed with Parkinsons. I have been doing all I can to try to convince him to lose weight, but it's certainly been a losing battle this far. For a little while there during the Atkin's fad, he did atkins and lost about 30 lbs, but wasn't doing any exercise and once the weight gain slowed down, he got discouraged and quit. His parkinsons really limits how much he can walk and he goes out to eat a lot now since my Mom died, so it's been a constant battle. Don't get discouraged or give up, I think it's a great idea for you to track your progress here where we can provide encouragement. I'll be looking forward to the updates.

FMCoug 03-01-2008 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ewth8tr (Post 192328)
This is a great thing you have decided to do. My dad is your height and about your weight (probably a few pounds heavier, but not much), but is almost 56. At 46, he developed Type 2 Diabetes, he has high blood pressure, high cholesterol, asthma, and about 3 years ago he was diagnosed with Parkinsons. I have been doing all I can to try to convince him to lose weight, but it's certainly been a losing battle this far. For a little while there during the Atkin's fad, he did atkins and lost about 30 lbs, but wasn't doing any exercise and once the weight gain slowed down, he got discouraged and quit. His parkinsons really limits how much he can walk and he goes out to eat a lot now since my Mom died, so it's been a constant battle. Don't get discouraged or give up, I think it's a great idea for you to track your progress here where we can provide encouragement. I'll be looking forward to the updates.

Thanks. It may be morbid but I really thing that's the kind of encouragement I need. "Get off your lazy ass" doesn't seem to work. "<insert family member / acquaintaince / etc. here> died / is deathly ill because he was fat like you" does work.

Runner Coug 03-01-2008 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMCoug (Post 192320)
Hopefully I can get a bit more feedback here than I would on a blog as well. If you feel like it doesn't belong here ... say so and I'll stop.

Seems to me like a perfect place for this type of thread. I look forward to reading the updates. Good for you for deciding to do all this.

I decided to lose weight four years ago when my dad was diagnosed with diabetes. I saw him measuring out his food and pricking his finger to check his blood, and decided I wanted no part of it. Food just isn't worth it. I've done 6 marathons and 4 half marathons since then, and I have average athletic ability, at best. I'm the epitome of "If I can do it, anyone can", so I have no doubt you're going to succeed. Good luck!

FMCoug 03-01-2008 06:08 PM

Speaking of Dads and health

I think I've mentioned this before but my Dad died of Lou Gehrig's disease (ALS) and we have nasty strain of the familial type in my family. Dad, two of his brothers, his Mom, a great aunt, and a first cousin have all had it. From my research on it I have a 50% chance that I won't get it (glass is half full right).

It's a terminal disease with no treatment ... but people live post-diagnosis anywhere from 6 months to several years. I'm guessing the 6 month ones are guys in the condition I am. It's a middle-age onset disease so if I get myself healthy and I do get it, that extra time could mean a LOT to my kids.

FMCoug 03-01-2008 11:10 PM

Some humor

This is embarassing to post but this thread is about accountability. Plus maybe you can all get a good laugh from it.

Just got back from the fiirst "real" bike ride. Just rode to our neighborhood park and back. I'm realizing it's going to take a week or two before I can even ride long enough for it to do me much good.

Distance: 2.7 miles
Time: 17 minutes
Avg speed: 9.7

Man I suck.

YOhio 03-01-2008 11:47 PM

Good luck with this FM. I'm pulling for you.

UteStar 03-02-2008 02:07 PM

FM, that is awesome. My only suggestion is to take it rather easy with the workouts initially. The first inclination is to really bust it with long workouts on the treadmill or bike ride, etc. If you haven't worked out much in years, injuries will become a constant companion.

I would only do 2-3 miles on the treadmill even at 3.0mph. Do it for a few days, and then bump up the speed a bit. Ride a bike a couple of miles and do that for a few days and then bump that up. Your body needs to start building up before you do things too strenuous.

Great start FM, keep it up. It is pretty cool to see some of our 'huskier' Cougarguard friends knocking off some of that weight!

FMCoug 03-02-2008 04:05 PM

Who says no sweets on a diet

http://www.hostesscakes.com/100/index.html

Only issue I see is like a lot of lowfat processed foods, they are high in sodium.

CJF 03-02-2008 10:33 PM

This is very cool.

You've seen me. I'm worse off than you. I started my diet six weeks ago. I wish I had thought about a blog/post. And like you, I needed more motivation than just losing weight. I look forward to the regular reports. It'll help keep me on tract.

FMCoug 03-02-2008 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJF (Post 192468)
You've seen me. I'm worse off than you. I started my diet six weeks ago. I wish I had thought about a blog/post. And like you, I needed more motivation than just losing weight. I look forward to the regular reports. It'll help keep me on tract.

Not sure I agree you're worse off. But there is no question we both have big needs in this way. Let's do it together ...

CJF 03-02-2008 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMCoug (Post 192470)
Not sure I agree you're worse off. But there is no question we both have big needs in this way. Let's do it together ...

Sounds good. I have a contest with my wife right now. It helped me get started. She is 4 months pregnant. We have a bet that if I lose two pounds for every pound she gains through the pregnacy I don't change diapers the first three months. As of this morning, I've lost 35 pounds since mid Jan and she's gained .5 pounds. I'm winning. :D

DJRoss 03-03-2008 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMCoug (Post 192470)

I hope you can count me on board this train. I weigh 246.2 lbs as of today and I need to get down to around 175. I cannot lose weight either just by having that as a goal. I want to get back to the athlete I was so I will be training towards running sprint triathlons. That is a 5K run, 12-13 mile bike ride and a 750 meter swim. I ran/walked 4 miles yesterday with my wife(today the legs are sore in spite of stretching. She has been kicking my trash on the health mantra the past six months. She is looking fine which spurs me even more since I don't like being flabby when she is fine. In any case FM count me on the FM fitness channel.

Crazy or not I plan on participating in the Cache Valley Tri (sprint) in Logan on June 21. That gives me almost four months to get at least healthy enough to finish it. The bike ride doesn't phase me as I used to be a road racer in my younger days. The swim doesn't phase me either. The run however is my Achilles heel (pun intended). I have to be able to run/jog a 5K. I used to run allot when I was younger, but I had problems with my knees in the military. This occurred after running the 2 mile in 12 minutes flat. My knees were never the same after that. I would love to participate in Bronco's ECO challenge. I have a friend who is planning on doing it this year. I think next year would be a great goal when I am in shape. He supposedly has an obstacle course that is suppose to weed out the triathletes and other distance racers because it is power based. Like strong man contests.

FMCoug 03-04-2008 12:06 AM

Well that sucks

Monday nights are weigh-in and I gained 4 lbs since last week. :(

Here's hoping it's muscle gain.

SteelBlue 03-04-2008 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMCoug (Post 192869)

Here's hoping it's muscle gain.

I hate to rain on your parade FM, but if you're able to pack on 4 pounds of muscle in a week at any age, let alone age 37 then I'd say you are roiding! Give yourself a break, you have pneumonia.

Runner Coug 03-04-2008 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 192909)
Give yourself a break, you have pneumonia.

Amen.

It took you years to put all the weight on, it will take time to lose it. Just stay consistent and patient.

CJF 03-04-2008 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runner Coug (Post 192922)
Amen.

It took you years to put all the weight on, it will take time to lose it. Just stay consistent and patient.

That's so important. It's also easier said than done. I just keep telling myself it's a lifestyle change and it's going to last more than a few months. I've stopped weighing myself every day. I try to live week to week on this now.

fuegote 03-04-2008 05:32 PM

Good luck FM. As you know I've lost nearly 40 lbs from the first of December. It's amazing the change.

FMCoug 03-04-2008 07:36 PM

Got back on the treadmill today

My tendonitis had had enough time that I wasn't having any pain anymore so I decided to give it another shot and go even slower. I just walked fast enough to get my heart rate to the 60-7-% fat burning zone. Did 5 miles in 2 hours. According to the treadmill, burned 866 calories this way.

Also, I found this site which had some interesting stuff about target zones. I figure by the nature of it and how out of shape I am, I am getting well into the aerobic and even anaerobic zones on the bike. So using the treadmill for the fat burning zone and the bike for cardio benefit seems to make sense for me right now. And the low speed on the treadmill will be easy on my foot. I was only at 2.7 mph. Just a stroll really.

Also have a Polar heart rate monitor on its way that I got on ebay ... so I will know where I'm at on the bike.

ERCougar 03-07-2008 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMCoug (Post 193299)
My tendonitis had had enough time that I wasn't having any pain anymore so I decided to give it another shot and go even slower. I just walked fast enough to get my heart rate to the 60-7-% fat burning zone. Did 5 miles in 2 hours. According to the treadmill, burned 866 calories this way.

Also, I found this site which had some interesting stuff about target zones. I figure by the nature of it and how out of shape I am, I am getting well into the aerobic and even anaerobic zones on the bike. So using the treadmill for the fat burning zone and the bike for cardio benefit seems to make sense for me right now. And the low speed on the treadmill will be easy on my foot. I was only at 2.7 mph. Just a stroll really.

Also have a Polar heart rate monitor on its way that I got on ebay ... so I will know where I'm at on the bike.

I think everyone should own a HRM. Ironically, typically it's only serious athletes who have them, but weekend warriors would really benefit. The reason is--it keeps you from overtraining. The tendency is to go out really hard because you're all excited about getting in shape. Then you get injured or get sick of it and quit. Staying around 70% will keep this from happening because it's not so unpleasant. Most are surprised at how easy 60-70% is.

fuegote 03-09-2008 12:01 AM

I recently got me an HRM and it's amazing. I love knowing how many calories lost by weight resistance training. I think it very beneficial to know my heart rate while I'm running.

I agree with ER, if you're working out, you should have one.

Archaea 03-09-2008 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ERCougar (Post 195053)
I think everyone should own a HRM. Ironically, typically it's only serious athletes who have them, but weekend warriors would really benefit. The reason is--it keeps you from overtraining. The tendency is to go out really hard because you're all excited about getting in shape. Then you get injured or get sick of it and quit. Staying around 70% will keep this from happening because it's not so unpleasant. Most are surprised at how easy 60-70% is.

In the past I wore one religiously and maybe I'll go back to wearing one. However, after a while, I simply stopped as I usually knew the range. After a while though you can find that you get lazy so a monitor can be useful to increase your effort, especially during intervals.

FMCoug 03-10-2008 04:46 PM

Back on track

After the down week from being sick and accompanying 4 lb gain, last week I lost that 4+1. Did 17 miles on the treadmill. No bike because the weather has not been cooperating.

Total loss to date is now at 9 lbs. Even better, this weekend I felt like my suit pants were too big and could stick my fist in the waistband.

FMCoug 03-11-2008 12:42 AM

Got back out on the bike today

now that it's warmed up a bit. Made it 3 miles this time, averaging 10.4 mph. Also have a HRM now so I know how hard I'm working. The bike is more like 75-90% for me ... whereas on the treadmill I try to keep it at 70%. But I think that's good as the bike is a harder workout, but the treadmill is longer.

Total burned today via exercise: 1065 calories. 825 walking, 240 on the bike.

creekster 03-11-2008 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMCoug (Post 195963)
Total loss to date is now at 9 lbs. Even better, this weekend I felt like my suit pants were too big and could stick my fist in the waistband.

The weight loss is great, but the fist in the pants thing probabyl should be just for the folks at home, you know what I mean?

FMCoug 03-11-2008 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 196361)
The weight loss is great, but the fist in the pants thing probabyl should be just for the folks at home, you know what I mean?

Hey there. You better be careful or I'll post a before picture. ;)

MikeWaters 03-11-2008 01:50 AM

Did someone mention fisting?

il Padrino Ute 03-11-2008 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 196361)

I suggest that Mike change FM's board name to Al Bundy.

Any seconds?

FMCoug 03-12-2008 11:22 PM

I think I've crossed some sort of fat guy threshold on the exercising. I've been doing 5 miles / day on the treadmill and have had the bike out twice in the last few days doing 3-5 miles each. Couldn't have dreamed of that even two weeks ago.

I know I have a long way to go but the fact that the 5 miles doesn't seem so hard anymore is encouragin. I think next week I'll up the speed to try to get my heart rate a bit higher. Been at about 65-70% at this speed.

Runner Coug 03-13-2008 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMCoug (Post 197519)
I know I have a long way to go but the fact that the 5 miles doesn't seem so hard anymore is encouragin.

One thing that I learned when I started to run long distances is that a big part of being able to do it is just wrapping your mind around going that far. At one time, the thought of running 26 miles seemed completely absurd, but now, even though it's still challenging, I know I can do it. I'm thinking about trying a 50 miler later this year.

bluegoose 03-13-2008 12:24 AM

Nice work FM.

I agree about the exercise threshold. If you stick with it consistently for a couple of more weeks, I think your endurance will go way up. Those 3-5 mile rides will easily become 10-15 mile rides.

I don't know about needing to go any further with walking on the treadmill. 5 miles is quite a jaunt. Be careful with increasing speed too quickly. if anything, all you need to do is increase the grade 1-2% to notice a big increase in your work load.

bluegoose 03-13-2008 12:29 AM

BTW FM,

I've never been one to track calories. Ever. But after checking out that fitday website, I decided to give it a try for a month. I would love to lose 8-10 pounds by my first century in May.

Its a good website. I think all of the calcuations and estimates are spot on.

its amazing how much food I can pack in when I want to. A couple of weeks ago on fast sunday I ate 2,100 calories from dinner at 5 pm until about 9:00 that night. Last saturday I easily put away over 3,000 calories, but that was after a tough 50 mile bike ride that morning, still leaving me at a 2,000 calorie deficit for the day. I could have easily eaten twice that, had I wanted.

FMCoug 03-19-2008 05:59 PM

influenza sucks

So I posted elsewhere that I went to the ER on Friday after a serioulsy bad night with fever, coughing, trouble breathing, etc. I have asthma and have had pneumonia before and this seemed MUCH worse.

So I went to the ER and got a chest x-ray and flu test (they said it was a nasal swab but I'm pretty sure it was a brain swab via the nostrils). Doc comes in after a bit and says she has some bad news. Then proceeds to tell me that the chest xray was clear but that I had the flu. "That's bad news?" Yes because we can't do much to treat it. 8-10 days, plenty of fluids, keep the fever down with Tylenol, etc. So I spend the next 3 days in a feverish, aching, painful, coughing, death wish type of state.

But I'm now back to where I feel "normal" sick if there is such a thing. Head cold, cough, type of deal.

Needless to say, the exercise program went out the window for about a week. But I didn't eat much so still lost 3 lbs for a total of 15 since I started this.

FMCoug 03-19-2008 06:00 PM

influenza sucks

So I posted elsewhere that I went to the ER on Friday after a serioulsy bad night with fever, coughing, trouble breathing, etc. I have asthma and have had pneumonia before and this seemed MUCH worse.

So I went to the ER and got a chest x-ray and flu test (they said it was a nasal swab but I'm pretty sure it was a brain swab via the nostrils). Doc comes in after a bit and says she has some bad news. Then proceeds to tell me that the chest xray was clear but that I had the flu. "That's bad news?" Yes because we can't do much to treat it. 8-10 days, plenty of fluids, keep the fever down with Tylenol, etc. So I spend the next 3 days in a feverish, aching, painful, coughing, nausea, death wish type of state.

But I'm now back to where I feel "normal" sick if there is such a thing. Head cold, cough, type of deal.

Needless to say, the exercise program went out the window for about a week. But I didn't eat much so still lost 3 lbs for a total of 15 since I started this.

Runner Coug 03-19-2008 06:19 PM

My little girl was diagnosed with Influenza B two weeks ago. We were prepared for the worst, but thankfully no one else in the family got it. Hope you're better soon.

bigpiney 03-19-2008 06:23 PM

For those of you that have recently had the flu or had family members with the flu I would recommend reading "The Great Influenza". The flu scares me.

FMCoug 04-01-2008 02:14 AM

Well I survived the flu

last week was my first full week back at work and I was completely wiped out so no exercise. But I rested up some more over the weekend and I'm determined to get back on track this week. Still have some lingering symptoms but I just have to get going again. Did 3 miles on the treadmill tonight ... down from the 5/day I was doing but I figure a good start back.

The good news is I didn't gain anything back during the hiatus.

Coach McGuirk 04-01-2008 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMCoug (Post 203820)
last week was my first full week back at work and I was completely wiped out so no exercise. But I rested up some more over the weekend and I'm determined to get back on track this week. Still have some lingering symptoms but I just have to get going again. Did 3 miles on the treadmill tonight ... down from the 5/day I was doing but I figure a good start back.

The good news is I didn't gain anything back during the hiatus.

I got the flu on or around the 18th of February (see http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16972 ) AND I STILL HAVE SYMPTOMS!. I thought I was on the verge of Pneumonia but the Doc says no. It has been the hardest thing to get rid of I have ever had. Good luck to you.